Save Me

It's Still You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s a one fine afternoon perfect to stroll around the busy streets of Seoul when the two bestfriends decided to meet up on a shop that is famous for its milk tea nearby the park. The girl dressed in cardigan covering her several tattoos in her arms was already there an hour advanced with the agreed time. She was just there sitting comfortably on their reserved table across the full glass window while watching the scenery outside the shop. Well, she’s just fooling herself on trying to believe that it was the indeed the whole park she’s seeing. Truth is, Chaeyoung is just watching this pretty lady who’s always alone in the bench kinda lonely. It’s been three days since she decided to watch the girl from afar, but the cub never had the courage to walk near and introduce herself.

“There’s no way that girl is single with her ethereal beauty. You’re just going to embarrass yourself once you talked to her.” Chaeyoung once thought.

So, she decided to just appreciate her beauty on her free time. The cub was curious though on why the girl was always in the park and the fact that her white dresses are all similar. It’s impossible that the girl doesn’t change her clothes because it’s just gross. Nevertheless, Chaeyoung did not entertain her curiosity as she just decided to be thankful that she’s seeing this beautiful girl everyday she goes to this place.

The cub unknowingly smiled watching the girl abruptly leaving the bench when the latter saw a man who’s about to sit.

“Cute.” Chaeyoung remarked.

“There’s still plenty of space though. She doesn’t have to get up and leave the bench.” Chaeyoung was busy internally talking to herself that she didn’t realized her bestfriend already arrived. The pale girl decided to surprise her best friend by popping her face on Chaeyoung’s view, just the window separating them. The cub jolted as soon as Dahyun’s pale face came into her view. She watched her bestfriend laughing out loud at her reaction while dancing as the latter entered the shop, obviously having a good time.

“You should see yourself, Bro! Hahahaha What a face!” Dahyun greeted the shorter one while making their unique handshake. Chaeyoung on the other hand, grunted in annoyance but still responded to their handshake.

It’s been almost a year since they last saw each other. Chaeyoung just got back from Paris after she decided to be serious with her life and pursued landscape painting. They were living in one condo before and enjoying their life without worrying about their future as both come from rich families. Dahyun had moved in with her girlfriend Momo, when her bestfriend left the country. And it was the best decision of the pale girl so far as her girlfriend taught her to be responsible in her life and to build a career. Dahyun is now starting a small business and her family has never been this proud of her.

The two bestfriends caught up with what happened to their life this past year without realizing the time flies. Dahyun then brought up the topic Chaeyoung wish to avoid, but knowing her bestfriend, she’s sure she can never avoid it that’s why she decided to bring Dahyun on that place.

“So, Chaeng, still have no girlfriend? When the are you going to settle? When we reach 50s? 60s? There’s plenty of girls who likes you, why don’t you just pick one and BOOM!!! C’mon. Trust me, it’s a lot better having someone with you everyday, you know, the one who will always be by your side.”

“I know, Bro. I know.” Chaeyoung sighed.

“I just think I still couldn't find the right one for me yet. I don’t want to engage into a relationship that I’m not sure with my feelings, you know that.” Chaeyoung added while her bestfriend nods.

“But there’s one girl which I find very attractive right now.”

Dahyun sit upright after hearing those words from her bestfriend. It’s the first time Chaeyoung said that.

“Then what are you waiting for idiot?!” Dahyun almost exclaimed.

“I told you I’m not sure of my feelings yet. I just find her attractive, that’s all.” Chaeyoung said nonchalantly.

“Besides, I doubt if she’s still single.” “Just look at that face, I’m sure she’s already taken.” Chaeyoung looked at the window and smiled a bit when she finds the girl still there on the park.

“What?! She’s here?! Where?!” Dahyun moved her head around to get a glimpse on the girl her bestfriend is pertaining but she could still see nothing.

“There, Dubs. I can see her perfectly from here. Tsk, you really have a poor eyesight.” Chaeyoung shook her head.

“You know what? C’mon let’s meet her. Tell me where she is.” Chaeyoung was taken aback by the sudden words and began to panic more when the pale girl grabbed her hand, while hastily exiting the shop. Of course, Dahyun did not forget to put some bills on their table before they left.

Dahyun is indeed not joking. She’s now dragging Chaeyoung to see the girl and the cub is making all excuses to back out with the sudden plan.

“What the Chaeng! Did you also learn how to be coward abroad? This isn’t you! Now tell me, where is she?”

Dahyun is walking backwards getting nearer with the pretty lady while talking to Chaeyoung whose freezing in complete embarrassment. This is the nearest she can be with the gorgeous girl and she’s amazed to see the girl is more beautiful when up close.

Panic arose on the cub when Dahyun was about to hit the girl with her back and Chaeyoung was ready to jump on Dahyun so that she can save the girl from her bestfriend, but the following event instantly shocked the hell out of Chaeyoung.

The girl just passed through Dahyun’s body.

Holy Sh*t!

Chaeyoung shook her head to clear her mind.

I must be hallucinating. The cub thought.

But then again, Dahyun is still searching for a beautiful girl which means that her bestfriend cannot see her.

No no no no no. No, she’s not. She can’t be a ghost. Chaeyoung thinks in horror.

She saw the girl finally noticed her and the cub’s heart was pounding, she could have appreciated this feeling if she hadn’t seen the scene earlier.

“Hey, can… can you see me?” The girl said with an angelic voice.

Chaeyoung remain frozen while fixing her eyes on her bestfriend.

“Hey, I just saw you when you look at me. Don’t pretend that you can’t see me now.”

Chaeyoung heard the ghost who’s now obviously talking to her. What should I do? Think Chaeyoung.

“Chaeng? What happened to you?”

Dahyun finally noticed her bestfriend's sudden change of expression and went to check on the latter.

“Oh my gosh, why are you having cold sweat? Are you sick? Let’s get outta here.”

Chaeyoung was very thankful that her bestfriend immediately went to her.

“Y-yes, let’s go.” Chaeyoung managed to say trying her best to avoid looking at the ghost in front of her.

That’s right, Chaeyoung. Just pretend that you did not see her so that she won’t bother you. Chaeyoung thought.

She can still somehow saw her in peripheral vision and the girl is pouting. Chaeyoung decided to ignore it and leave the place with Dahyun.

 

 

 

 

Dahyun immediately brought her bestfriend home. She was ready to go to the hospital but Chaeyoung insisted that she just wants home to feel better and Dahyun hesitantly agreed. Chaeyoung thought that once she left that park, the ghost will stop talking to her as well but boy, she’s wrong. The ghost followed her and tried to talk to the cub, yet the cub is still hardheaded and continue to act as if she hasn’t heard or see anything. Chaeyoung was never afraid of ghosts because she thinks that they aren’t real but now, she doesn’t know what to think anymore. She just wanted to believe now that ghost can’t harm human so that she can survive her daily routine. She mentally took note though of some of the words the ghost were saying, like her name is Mina. And she needs Chaeyoung’s help. But Chaeyoung wasn’t interested at all. She’s probably gonna bring herself to danger if she helps this ghost so Chaeyoung’s answer is no. It’s been a week now since that incident and Chaeyoung was trying so hard to ignore this girl. The cub think she could still endure more days, she just hoped that Mina can see another person who can see ghosts as well so Mina can stop pestering her.

“Please, you’re the only one who can see me. And I don’t have much more time since I don’t belong in this world anymore.” Mina begged to the short girl walking hastily trying to ignore her existence.

“Please help me. I just need to say goodbye to my girlfriend.” She added.

And that made Chaeyoung stopped in her track, contemplating whether she’ll help this pretty ghost or not.

Mina saw Chaeyoung halted and she hurriedly went in front of Chaeyoung while passing through the short girl’s body.

“Chaeyoung-ssi. You heard me, right? You heard me that’s why you stopped, right? Right?” Mina said excitedly. If there’s one more thing Chaeyoung can admire in this ghost aside from her beautiful appearance, it’s the girl’s attitude. Mina never became angry for once even though Chaeyoung is obviously ignoring her purposely.

“Please help me. I just need to say goodbye to my girlfriend.”

Chaeyoung remembered exactly what she heard a while ago.

 I knew it.

I knew it she was already taken.

Chaeyoung looked at Mina. She stared at those beautiful pair of eyes that are hoping.

Your girlfriend is the luckiest person alive. I envy her for having those eyes of yours to stare. I bet she has always a peaceful sleep everytime she hears your voice saying Goodnight and I love You. That bastard, how can she let you die?

Mina was very happy that Chaeyoung already looked at her, but she’s getting nervous as the time goes by since Chaeyoung isn’t speaking until now. Will she continue to ignore her again after this? She hoped Chaeyoung will finally acknowledge her and maybe help her.

“Alright, Mina-ssi. I will help you.”

Chaeyoung said.

The cub saw a lone tear that escaped from Mina’s left eye before the girl showed her the brightest smile ever. And Chaeyoung unconsciously smiled from the sight.

“Thank you, Chaeyoung-ssi. I know you are a nice person. And I’m sorry if I scared you at first.”

Mina gave a 360 degree bow to express her gratitude to the younger.

“Don’t thank me yet, I didn’t even start doing a thing. I just need a week to finish my painting then we’ll go to your girlfriend’s place.” With that, Chaeyoung turned her back without waiting for Mina to respond and proceed to her room still thinking if she made the right decision or not.

Mina, nonetheless, was still thankful, not minding the cold treatment from the short girl. She can finally bid goodbye properly to her girlfriend. Oh, how she missed the girl she only loved in this world.

“Please wait a little more, Jeong.”

 

 

 

 

Mina patiently waited for Chaeyoung for these past days. Being a ghost for almost a year now also made her the ability to touch things within a short period of time so she tried to make herself useful while staying at Chaeyoung’s place. She sometimes helps the younger cook, fold clothes and other lighter chores. She was also the one preparing Chaeyoung’s paints brushes, canvas, etc. whenever the latter is about to start doing her work.

“Mina-ssi, I told you that I can do it. You don’t have to prepare all these for me.”

Chaeyoung said when she entered her mini studio to start painting. She watches Mina adjusting the canvass on its stand so that Chaeyoung will just have to sit and start painting.

Sh*t! Why is she so beautiful?

No Chaeyoung, stop your fantasy! You don’t stand a chance on her; she already has someone else! Besides, she’s dead!

Chaeyoung shook her head to bring her focus back.

“I’m going to start painting. You may leave now Mina-ssi.”

Mina pouted.

“Can I watch? Just this once, I promise I won’t disturb you. I’ll be staying on the corner and stay silent. Today is the day when you’ll finish your painting, right? Please let me watch, Chaeyoungie?”

“No.” was Chaeyoung’s only answer and that made Mina say no more.

The sulking ghost left the place without having a choice. Although she can still actually watch Chaeyoung work without the latter knowing, she still chose to respect the younger’s privacy.

After making sure that Mina is gone, Chaeyoung finally let a deep exhale. She always tensed whenever the ghost is around and the reason why she can’t let Mina watch is because she’ll surely be distracted by her beauty. She might unconsciously paint the latter and that’s the last thing she wanted to happen. She took a deep breath one more time before she proceeds to finish her painting. Chaeyoungie, the cub smiled.

 

 

 

 

“I’m done!”

Chaeyoung shouted as she stretches her limbs from sitting for hours. She expected that Mina will now pop out anytime soon, but no ghost has been seen on the small studio.

The cub walked out the door of her mini studio inside her apartment and looked for Mina.

She already checked every corner of her place calling Mina, but the ghost is nowhere to be seen.

Chaeyoung started getting nervous thinking that she made the ghost mad this time. She then remembered when Mina once told her that aside from having to talk to her girlfriend, the ghost's other mission is to hide from the grim reaper. A pang was felt by the cub through her heart and she instantly became worried.

What if Mina decided to leave the apartment and the grim reaper caught her?

No second was wasted as Chaeyoung sprinted to the door and used the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator so that she can leave the building as soon as possible to look for Mina.

The cub continuously run while shouting the ghost name in hope that Mina will pop out suddenly. She didn’t really care at all those watchful eyes from the people she passed by. Chaeyoung with full of sweats and messy paints all over her shirt and arms never stopped running and shouting until she saw a girl’s back that is somehow alike from the ghost. The girl was outside a cake shop staring inside.

“Mina… I-hah... I was looking for you… hah” Chaeyoung managed to say while catching her breath.

“I-I was so worried thinking...” Chaeyoung somehow couldn’t continue her sentence. “Thank God you’re okay. I’m sor-”

Chaeyoung was interrupted by the ghost’s mesmerizing smile. Mina was amused to see the cub in this state.

What happened to the cold cub? She thought. Anyway, she prefers this kind of Chaeyoung so she diverted the topic instead before Chaeyoung could realize the situation and may come back to being cold again.

“Do you have your wallet?” Mina asked.

“I’m sorry… what?” Chaeyoung was taken aback by the out of the blue question

“I said, do you have your wallet? Let’s go inside the cake shop.”

Chaeyoung was still standing on the ground while blankly staring at the ghost who didn’t even let her answer and proceeds to the shop by passing through the door. She’s thinking on why on earth a ghost is so excited to go inside a cake shop. She was brought back to reality after a few seconds and followed the ghost inside. Yes, Chaeyoung’s wallet is always in her pocket even at home and believes that the ghost already knew it.

The cub saw the Mina bending her back just to get a good glimpse on the colorful cakes that are being displayed behind the glass near the counter.

“Have you already chosen one?” Chaeyoung said while approaching the ghost and those 2 ladies behind the counter instantly gave her a weird look before murmuring to each other.

Pabo Chaeyoung, Pabo! Why do you have to talk so loudly? They must be thinking that you’re crazy talking to yourself.

Chaeyoung internally screamed before making some fake coughs to hide her embarrassment. She walked towards the counter to order just so they can stop talking now. Of course, she didn’t have to look at the menu to know if they have their favorite. What kind of cake shop do not offer strawberry cheesecake anyway? She glanced on her side where the ghost is still engrossed on the cakes.

As if Mina can see Chaeyoung with her back, she said without looking at Chaeyoung “If strawberry is yours, then blueberry cheesecake for me.”

The cub was about to question the ghost if she can eat it because she never seen the ghost eat yet. Can a ghost eat food too? But before she can let her voice out, she suddenly remembers her surrounding that is why Chaeyoung just decided to order too what the ghost requested. Chaeyoung wished that Mina will pick the strawberry though, because she hates blueberries. And out of all the choices, yeah Mina hit the jackpot.

When they are finally seated in the far corner of the shop, Chaeyoung didn’t waste any second to dive in with her favorite whilst Mina just enjoyed watching the younger in amusement. This is another new side of Chaeyoung that she just discovered. Chaeyoung is always fast to eat especially if she really likes the taste of the food.

The cub is now almost finish with her strawberry cheesecake when she noticed that Mina is still not budging to touch the cake in front of her.

“Hey, why are you still not eating? I’m sure it’s good. Mine tasted great!”

The ghost shook her head while smiling.

“What’s so funny?” Chaeyoung asked while wiping at the thought of maybe she’d eaten in a mess again.

Mina raised her right arm and put her chin above her palm while staring at the clueless cub in front of her before saying “You know that ghosts can't eat, right?”

“Yes, of course I know but I thought there’s exception. Hell, why do you even spent time picking and ordering when you are unable to eat anyway.” Chaeyoung explained her side.

“Because I want to know how it tastes and you’re the one who will tell me.”

Chae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter