Chapter IV

Night Pleas

It had been a week since she had allowed the angel to stay with her. Honestly, Miyeon had hesitated. She wasn’t sure if it was a good idea, she didn’t know anything about angels or how long it would take for Minnie to leave. Luckily the creature had answered some of the questions that concerned the oldest.

            “How did you get here?” Miyeon wanted to know more, she wanted to understand her. Minnie sighed.

            “I’m not so sure. The last thing I remember was falling into the water. I think it was the ocean… a-and that would explain the cold and pressure I talked to you about” The Korean furrowed her brows but listened intently. “I’m not sure what happened but I think…

            Miyeon sat in the couch again, she had been walking non-stop around the living room. “Yes? What is it?”

            “I think a demon took my wings”

            “What!? Why?” Miyeon looked at the angel’s back for a split second. Of course, she has wings, how am I so stupid? Miyeon thought.

“For fun, I guess… It was something I heard from stories, you know? Is one of those things that you don’t think will ever happen to you…” Minnie looked away, tears flowing in her eyes.

            Miyeon took one of her hands in hers, rubbing her thumb against it trying to comfort the girl somehow.

She thought for a second, it would make sense for angels to feel miserable without a part of them. Angels were believed to be magnificent beings and a big part of their beauty was their wings. One thing was for sure, she didn’t like seeing Minnie sad.

            “Is that why you need to stay here for a while? To figure out how to go back?” She handed Minnie a tissue. The angel nodded, thinking to herself while she wiped her tears off.

            “Yes…”

            After listening to Minnie’s story, she couldn’t refuse to let the angel into her home. She still had a lot of questions, but she decided to ask them little by little. For now, she would concentrate on finishing dinner. She was cutting the last tomato along with some onion when the phone rang. She picked it up and placed it between her shoulder and her cheek before continuing to slice the ingredient slowly.

            “Yes?” She answered absentminded.

            “Hi, Mi-… Yah! Yeh Shuhua, stop it!” Miyeon heard a thud before the older girl continued “Hey Unnie”

            Miyeon laughed before answering, Soojin had the patience of a saint.

            “Hi, Soojin, what’s up?”

            “Soyeon had the great idea of going for breakfast all together this Saturday, are you in? Oh! And you can bring your new roommate, we are all excited to meet her”

            Miyeon thought for a second, Saturday was in two days. The days had passed pretty well, she felt comfortable with Minnie around… and it had nothing to do with the little crush that she was starting to have on the ethereal girl. But she didn’t know how Minnie would feel about meeting other humans. She didn’t know where angels stood in that matter, did they have rules or something?

            “Umm, I’d love to go. As for Minnie… I’ll have to ask her”

“Ok, let us know when you do” said Soojin with a sweet voice “Goodnight Unnie”

            “Goodnight Soojin-ah”

            They both hanged up and Miyeon went back to her task, she only had the onion left. She was happy she ended up publishing that advert a couple of months ago about her looking for a roommate. No one had called her, and she had almost forgotten about it, but when thinking for an excuse to explain to her friends why all of the sudden someone was living with her, she remembered, and it was the perfect excuse.

            “Hey! Can I-”

            “Aah!”

            Miyeon jumped making the knife go out of its way and cutting her finger slightly. She hadn’t heard Minnie getting out of her room.

            “Oh my Lord!” Minnie ran towards the other girl “Are you ok!? I’m so sorry!”

            “It’s ok” Miyeon took a cloth and pressed it against the wound to stop the bleeding.

            “Let me see” Minnie felt guilty for causing pain to the other girl. She knew how fragile humans were, literally anything could kill them, and she wasn’t sure how much that wound would hurt humans, a lot, maybe? She thought.

            “It’s ok really, I’ll just clean it” She put her finger under the tab and left it there for some seconds. “Are you hungry?”

            That’s one of the first things Miyeon learnt about angels. In heaven, they would feed themselves with a tiny amount of nectar from a cup from time to time, and that was it. But human food didn’t have the same power and angels needed tons of it to satisfy their hunger. That’s why it looked like Miyeon was cooking for ten people those days.

            Minnie nodded slowly to answer human’s question, but concerned could still be seen in her eyes. Miyeon smile at her, ignoring it.

            “Good, dinner is ready” She said while pointing at the table where all the food was displayed “You can start, I’ll join you in a few” She wanted to get a band-aid first.

            Minnie saw the human entered the bathroom, she thought about going with her, but, in the end, she followed the girl’s instructions.

            When Miyeon got out and went to where Minnie was, she wasn’t surprised to see that the girl hadn’t started eating, she was waiting for her. That was the kind of things that were making Miyeon fall for the angel, she was so considerate and kind… She was willing to help with everything.

Another thing was how cute Minnie acted whenever she would discover a new thing about humans. Apparently, Minnie hadn’t been on the ground for a long time, so when Miyeon used things like the remote or the microwave, Minnie would look at it astonished. The human found all this beyond adorable and decided to show the angel new things in her house whenever she had the chance.

“Are you sure you don’t need to go to the hospital?” Minnie had been looking at her finger since they started eating. The angel had already downed three dishes while Miyeon was still enjoying her first.

Miyeon’s laughter caught Minnie by surprise, but she still smiled at it, she loved the sound of it, and she was beyond happy whenever she was the reason for it. Minnie wondered if all humans were as beautiful as Miyeon was.

“It’s just a tiny cut Minnie, I’m ok” Miyeon smiled again. They continued eating in a comfortable silence until Miyeon remembered something.

“Oh! Umm… I wanted to ask you something…” She suddenly felt nervous and she didn’t know why. It was just an invitation to have breakfast together, it was nothing serious, plus her friends would be there. “Um… You remember Soojin?”

“Your friend?” Minnie frowned confused. Miyeon nodded.

“Yes, uh… She called, and she asked me to have breakfast with them on Saturday…”

“Oh… Sounds nice… Yeah, and that would be a great opportunity for me to learn how to cook while you are out.” Minnie didn’t like spending time alone, but she understood that Miyeon had a life too “I don’t understand why you don’t let me try again whenever you are at the campus…”

“Ok, first of all, you almost burned my kitchen the first time you tried” Miyeon laughed while pointing at Minnie, who smile apologetically “And second… I want you to come with us”

Minnie looked at her, a bit serious this time. Something about Miyeon including her in her plans felt right. She had been feeling these things every time the human looked at her, things that she wasn’t supposed to feel. But even if she suspected that the other girl shared the same feelings, she also thought that Miyeon felt that way because… Well, because she was an angel, and humans weren’t used to that. Not because the human actually liked her.

Miyeon took Minnie’s silence as a negative sign.

“I mean, only if you want! I don’t mean to… You know, only if you feel comfortab-”

“No! I- I mean, yes! I would love to go with you…”

“Really?” The hope in Miyeon’s eyes shined.

“Yeah, but do you think it's a good idea?”

“I think so… Besides, Yuqi already saw you so…”

It was true, Minnie remembered. The third day of them living together they decided to go buy food together. Minnie thanked Miyeon for distracting her. She had spent two entire days trying to find a way to let someone up there know her situation, but it was useless, her only hope was to wait for her wings to grow. Nonetheless, their walk had been an interesting experience for Minnie and a fun time for Miyeon. On their way back they crossed paths with the Chinese girl, who had immediately connected the dots and had introduced herself to Miyeon’s new roommate.

Miyeon thought about the conversation she had the next day with her friends.

“Really guys, you should have seen her” Miyeon slapped Yuqi on the shoulder.

“Agh! What was that for?” Miyeon discreetly pointed at Soyeon who had an eyebrow raised but when the short girl felt Yuqi's gaze on her she acted as nothing happened.

“I- What I mean is that I think that she and Miyeon looked cute together” Yuqi continued.

Soojin ignored the two lovebirds and focused on Miyeon.

“Miyeon… Do you like her?” she asked calmly.

“No, of course not, I barely know her…” Miyeon said maybe too defensively.

None of her friends seemed to buy it though.

“Ok then…” Minnie agreed.

“Great!” Miyeon exclaimed happily.

When they finished eating, or rather when Minnie finished, the angel offered to help her clean the dishes, hoping Miyeon would trust her with that task. Miyeon did, and while she would clean them Minnie would dry them and place them on the cupboard. Their hands brushed against each other several times, none of them made a move to avoid the contact, they even searched for it. They didn’t say anything, both enjoying the moment.

Actually, all their interactions had been pretty domestic since Minnie felt like she could fully trust Miyeon. Miyeon didn’t know if it was because angels were very affectionate with each other or what, but those little interactions between them only made Miyeon fall even more for the angel without realizing.

As always, after dinner, they made their way to the couch, something that soon became a habit. Minnie sat on one extreme of the couch and Miyeon laid down, resting her head on the taller girl’s lap.

They spent long minutes like that, just the two of them, Minnie drawing random patterns on Miyeon’s arm. Minnie knew that she was playing a dangerous game, but she couldn’t seem to be able to put some distance between them. On the other hand, Miyeon wanted to ask something that had been annoying her since she started to develop feelings for the other girl, but she was scared to voice her concerns. Finally, she gathered some courage and muttered:

“How long will you stay?” It was barely a whisper and Minnie almost didn’t hear, but she did. The mystic being took a deep breath before answering.

“I’m not sure…”

“What do you mean?” Miyeon sat facing the angel with an indecipherable look.

“In…” she sighed “In heaven, the perception of time is different than here, it would probably take ages for my wings to grow back up there, but here…” Minnie hesitated.

“But here…?” Miyeon wanted to know, even if it destroyed her inside.

“If I’m not mistaken… around three months”

As soon as she heard those words Miyeon couldn’t hide it anymore and started crying as she launched herself forward and hugged the angel. Minnie was surprised by the gesture but returned it with the same force. She waited for the girl to calm down. When she did, Minnie repositioned them, now she was laying down with Miyeon on top of her hugging her.

They fell asleep like that, Minnie comforting Miyeon and Miyeon listening to the angel’s heartbeat.

 

 

 

--------------------

 

And that's it! Hope you like it and don't forget to comment on how you are liking the story! :)