New Beginning

New Beginning

Beep beep! Beep beep!

 

The sound of an alarm rang, indicating the end of the tortuous one hour punishment initiation Sungjae and Sooyoung had to endure for their ticket out of the Underworld.

 

Silence fell upon the amphitheater that was packed with the 17,500 spectators. The only sounds being amplified were Sooyoung and Sungjae's ragged breaths.

 

Their audience stared at the fallen King and Queen - but were they really considered fallen? They had survived 30 assassins without the use of weapons, killed their current Underworld King, and almost killed the first Lord of the Underworld. Eyes roamed around the bloodbath created. The eldest advisor bleeding to death and the vacant eyes of Woo Dohwan. 

 

"Sir! The police are on their way!" A guard reported to Choi Minsoo.

 

"Let's start leaving, enough blood has been shed. We cannot risk all of us being exposed." Choi Minsoo replied.

 

Members of the Underworld Royals from around the world started to file out, some mumbling words of disdain at the fallen gods below and some throwing them pitiful glances. The Underworld was as ruthless as it was promising of power.

 

Dropping the gun that was now empty of bullets, Sooyoung ran towards Sungjae. It was just the two of them left in the arena. He was curled up on the floor, his breathing shallow and his eyes closed. Both of them had suffered major injuries since venturing into The Stadium as their previous injuries from the Underworld war had not even fully recovered.

 

"Sungjae," Sooyoung whispered as her fingers pushed aside Sungjae's matted hair. "It's over. We made it through. It's going to be alright." 

 

"Sooyoung," he managed to breathe out, his hands finding hers. "It hurts. Everywhere hurts."

 

"I know it does," her eyes welling up with tears upon hearing the pain etched in his voice. "Can you hold on for just a while more? The police are coming, we'll get help." 

 

"N-no. You have to leave me Sooyoung," he turned his gaze up to her. "You can't get caught by the authorities."

 

"I'm not leaving you," she supported him up into a sitting position resting on her, "I'm never leaving your side." 

 

"Why are you being such a brat?" Sungjae tried to chuckle but ended up coughing out more blood.

 

"Because I love you, snob." She patted his head resting on her shoulder. His breath was still as shallow and she was getting more worried by the second.

 

"I love you too," his lips grazing over hers, "always." His gaze never leaving hers before collapsing back into her arms. 

 

"Sungjae," her voice quivering as she shook his shoulders, "stay with me!"

 

Please don't leave me, she pleaded in her mind, her tears spilling out. 

 

Sooyoung's free arm patted his back.

 

"Snob?" She could hear his breathing. "You can't leave me. I won't allow it." 

 

"But you're safe now," his voice barely above a whisper. "I promised to keep you safe. I'm tired now."

 

Sooyoung's heart started to race. Damn him for always protecting her, she thought. It was as if he was ready to let her go. 

 

As she was about to shake Sungjae awake yet another time, she heard the footsteps of people running in. She scrambled forward and picked up another gun, aiming at the entrance. She was afraid it was Chanyeol coming to finish her off.

 

"Sungjae!" The voice called out.

 

Her head snapped towards the direction of the voice, only putting her gun down when she realized it was Hyungsik and Peniel.

 

Their eyes bulged at the appearance of Sungjae. His face swollen from punches, blood seeping through his black clothes and bruises forming on his limbs. They knew how skilled Sungjae was when it came to fighting and never had they seen Sungjae look so defeated. Without wasting a further second, Hyungsik and Peniel lifted Sungjae's arms around his shoulder, preparing to shift him towards their waiting car. Weakened by his injuries, all Sungjae could manage was a soft groan of pain.

 

"Sooyoung," Peniel called out, "we have to get him to a doctor ASAP!"

 

Trusting his 1st layer best friends, Sooyoung managed a nod before getting to her feet and grabbing two guns from the bodies strewn across the floors. Just in case, she chanted in her mind, just in case someone wanted to finish them off. 

 

Speeding off in the car, Sungjae rested on Sooyoung's lap in the back while Hyungsik and Peniel were at the front.

 

"Where are we going?" Sooyoung asked.

 

"I have a private vacation home near here. The doctor is already there." Hyungsik announced as he sped through red lights, not caring about the honks he received. 

 

Sooyoung bit her lips and looked down at Sungjae. She felt his face matted with cold sweat as he struggled to breathe. She was afraid they wouldn't be able to make it.

 

"We'll make it, Sooyoung," Peniel reassured her as he looked back. "Sungjae's a brother to us. We'll make sure he makes it." He said with conviction. Determination flared in his eyes.

 

Sooyoung nodded as she took off her hoodie and wrapped it around Sungjae.

 

"Who's the one cold now, snob?" She gently joked. She wanted to do anything that could take his pain off the excruciating pain. 

 

Sungjae attempted a chuckle as he brought her hand to his lips. "I bet you're going to start feeling cold in five minutes you brat."

 

The group reached Hyungsik's house and Sungjae was immediately lifted out of the car and into a makeshift operating room. Sooyoung sat in the living room, a million thoughts running through her mind. A nurse came to tend to her wounds. Even with getting stitches, bandages and bullets being ripped out, her mind never left Sungjae.

 

An hour passed and Sooyoung got up to pace the living room.

 

Thirty more minutes passed and Sooyoung seeds of doubt started to fester in her mind.

 

He has to live, she convinced herself. He would! For them. They hadn't even gone to Paris. Sungjae wouldn't leave her! 

 

It was two hours when Sooyoung stomped up the stairs to the master bedroom where Sungjae was being treated and knocked on the door. She was dying to know his condition.

 

Seeing that it was Sooyoung, the doctor gestured to his nurse to let her in.

 

"We're finishing up here, Ms. Park," the doctor announced as he stitched up the gashes left by the assassins. "He was very strong throughout the operation." The doctor gazed at her. Although in a better physical condition than Sungjae, she had been severely weakened by the fight as well. Her eyelids drooping and her face lacking colour, the doctor continued, "Sungjae needs the rest and you do too. Both of you are going to need as much rest as possible to even properly heal." 

 

Sooyoung stared at the bag of blood above Sungjae's head and noticed his steadied breathing. "Thank you doctor, for doing everything you could."

 

"It's no problem." He replied as he packed up his medical instruments. "I've met Sungjae before and he was nothing but cordial. Don't be afraid to come to me for anything you both should need, regardless of your Underworld status." 

 

Sooyoung nodded in appreciation as the doctor left the room. 

 

One hand his hair and the other caressing Sungjae's palm, Sooyoung allowed a tear to drop down her face. "Thank you for everything snob," she bent and dropped a kiss on his forehead. Sungjae was still asleep from the anesthesia. "I promise that when all of this is over, that when you're okay, I'm going to be the one that shows you Paris." 

 

——

 

Sungjae and Sooyoung spent two weeks at Hyungsik's vacation home recovering from their injuries. Hyungsik personally came to stock up the house with various foods and his personal doctor arrived regularly to check on the two. By the second week, Sungjae was able to move around unassisted. Their bruises were no longer an inflamed red but a yellowish remnant. Being able to move around also meant that Sungjae and Sooyoung were keeping up with the mess they had left the Underworld in. 

 

"It's a big cluster now," explained Hyungsik when he came to replenish their groceries. "The most powerful 3rd layer has no leader and the eldest advisor from the 2nd layer is dead. Chanyeol got into a huge mess in Japan since they found out he used Inkwon as a human shield." 

 

Sooyoung stiffened at the mention of Chanyeol.

 

"The Skulls are fighting over who their next leader should be since Dohwan had no heirs. The Scorpions have turned their backs on Chanyeol after hearing of his cowardly move."

 

"What about our Serpents and Siberian Tigers?" Sungjae questioned.

 

"They are," Hyungsik sighed, "awaiting for the return of you two." 

 

The three of them shared a silent look among each other before the ringing of a phone made them jump.

 

Rinnnngggggg!

 

"Yes dad?" Hyungsik answered the call.

 

"Put me on speaker," Seojun commanded, "I have to speak to Sungjae and Sooyoung. I know you're with them, son."

 

Hyungsik gulped but did as he was told. As 1st layer heirs well-known to be on Sungjae's side, Peniel and him were banned from entering the The Stadium that eventful night. It would not bode well for him or his father if the Underworld found out he was harboring the two most wanted people in their world. 

 

"Uncle," Sungjae acknowledged Seojun. Seojun was one of his mentors and he would forever be grateful for that.

 

"Sungjae," Seojun called out. "I trust that you and Sooyoung are recovering well, given that Hyungsik has got our family doctor to aid you."

 

"Yes, thank you uncle." 

 

"I will cut to the chase then," Seojun's voice dropped to a more serious tone. "Do you remember my stance on you and Sooyoung's position in the Underworld? In the hospital?" 

 

Sooyoung's forehead creased. Was Seojun referring to his belief that the Korean Underworld would emerge stronger with Sungjae and Sooyoung working together?

 

"I have raised my proposition yet again to the Underworld elders," Seojun continued, completely aware that Sooyoung and Sungjae remembered the conversation they had with him at the hospital. "A fallen king killing the Lord of the Underworld gives you the right to reclaim your throne as King of Serpents. But there are some elders who think you have become too irrational - even more so after killing your elder brother."

 

"We no longer wish to be part of the 3rd layer uncle," Sooyoung announced.

 

"I understand. But you also know that promises are also largely empty in the Underworld." Seojun sighed. "To be frank, I'm not sure how long this ticket out of the Underworld would be for you two. I am conflicted as to how I can offer my help since you two have been almost like my own children." 

 

Seojun was right. As long as there were people who saw them as a fallen King and Queen of the Underworld, they would always have targets on their back. 

 

"What do you propose then?" Sungjae asked. Seojun was leading up to something. 

 

"Sungjae, you have been trained as a 1st and 3rd layer heir, and have been King of the 3rd layer. Even so, you did not abandon the 1st layer and still garner significant respect in both layers. Coincidentally, Inkwon's death has led to an opening in an advisor slot in the 2nd layer. The Choi brothers only got their positions due to Inkwon and with him gone, they are unable to control the 1st layer." 

 

Sungjae in a breath. He could feel where this would be going.

 

"A few 1st layer leaders and I proposed to the council that you should take up the free spot in the 2nd layer. The 2nd layer has to act as a bridge for the 1st and 3rd layer and only you can do that."

 

"And why should I take up on that offer?" 

 

"Because it gives you the security of you and Sooyoung's lives. Because it gives you the freedom that comes with being an advisor. Because it would give you the redeeming factor that can easily be earned in the time of a power vacuum in the Underworld. It's your only chance to redeem yourself." 

 

Hearing silence on the other end of the line, Seojun barreled on. 

 

"I need a reply in two days time Sungjae. You'll be able to have my backing along with your past mentors. But if I don't hear from you, then I wish you all the best, for Sooyoung and you." 

 

Click.

 

"I'm sorry," Hyungsik apologizes. "I didn't know my dad found out and I don't know anything about those plans as well. I think I should leave you two to discuss this? I cannot disappear for long before the Underworld is aware I'm hiding you two." 

 

As soon as Hyungsik exits the front door, Sungjae mentions that he would be rejecting Seojun's offer.

 

Sooyoung mulled over his decision. "What if, our only way out was to infiltrate the toughest layer?" 

 

Sungjae's eyes widened as he caught her wavering on their decision to exit the Underworld. "No way am I going to endanger our lives and the lives of our loved ones ever again!" 

 

"But look at Inkwon! He was an advisor and he managed to have a family!"

 

"We worked so hard," his voice broke, "to get out of the ed up Underworld. And now you want to go back in?" 

 

"Sungjae, if we don't, we'd end up on the run forever. Underworld people globally will be hunting us down. At least with you as an advisor, you'd still have the loyalty of your Serpents."

 

"And what about you? You'd lose the loyalty of your Siberian Tigers." 

 

Sooyoung held his hand in hers as she met his worried gaze. "I'll be fine if it means you and the other advisors get to choose the next heir. And it also means that we'll at least get to see the gang once in a while without having to worry for all our safety."

 

"Your intuition is for me to accept uncle's offer?" 

 

Sooyoung nodded. "Seojun was loyal to you to the very end, even after the world regarded you as a Fallen King. What is your intuition telling you to do?"

 

"It's telling me to accept it too."

 

——

 

This is my take on the ending! I just felt like the story should have had a happy ending where they both could live happily ever after LOL

 

An epilogue will be out tomorrow! I just felt like there was so much build up to the two characters & Paris and yet in the end....they didn't even get to go to Paris sighhhhhh