Chapter 7

Three Squared

They woke up the next morning at six, the dark sky still overhead. Daejung refused to open his eyes, so they had to dress him and brush his teeth while he was asleep or trying to sleep. They made it to the airport by eight, their flight leaving at nine. Mingyu booked business class tickets instead of his usual first class, mainly to make the flight more friendly for Daejung. First class might be too intimidating. Finally it was time to board the plane, Jeonghan brought one of Daejung favorite coloring books and downloaded a reading game on his phone hopefully keep him occupied the whole twelve hours. But much to their surprise Daejung was asleep for about seven of those twelve hours.

            By the time they arrived, it was almost 3:00pm in Paris. The city was everything Jeonghan could have imagined it would be, the Eiffel Tower was huge, the videos and photos did not do it justice. The vintage, romantic feel of the buildings and the streets made him feel like he stepped into an old romance movie from the fifties. After about a thirty minute taxi ride, they made to their hotel, Hôtel Park Lane Paris. The hotel was very modern and minimal something Jeonghan hasn’t seen much of in Korea. They had two separate rooms, with Daejung right next to theirs. Even though it was only three in Paris it was about 10pm in Korea, plus the twelve hour flight they just had, they were all dead tired. So the first thing they did was sleep for about four hours, waking up at 7:30pm, just in time for dinner.

            Right before they all passed out, Mingyu made a reservation at a restaurant called Pomze near their hotel. It was a cozy restaurant and surprising kid friendly despite being so expensive looking. Jeonghan ordered a salmon, Mingyu ordered chicken and Daejung just ate off of their plates. He does that every time they go out to eat, not quite ready to order his own food and finish it all. By the time they left it was almost nine and there was quite a few stores still open so Jeonghan thought now was the perfect time to go looking for Jieun’s pink poodle.

“Hey Daejung-ah, how about we go looking for the pink poodle for Jieun-ie?” Jeonghan said carrying Daejung in his arms.

“Okay!” Daejung had a lot of energy now that he slept for almost ten hours, flying takes a lot out of a three year old.

            They decided to split the work, Mingyu went in one direction and Jeonghan and Daejung went in the other. They looked for about an hour before they eventually gave up and met up back at their hotel.

“Did you guys find anything?” Mingyu asked is hands in his pockets.

“Nope, how about you?”

“Well, I found some poodles but the pink was sold out. Pink poodles are very popular.”

“Aww. Jieun’s going to be so sad.” Daejung said pouting and his eyes watering.

“It’s okay Daejung-ah, we’ll look again tomorrow okay.” Jeonghan said trying to comfort him.

“But what if we don’t find one?” Daejung whined a tear coming out of his eye.

“We will, bud. We have seven days to look, we’ll look every day, okay?” Mingyu wiped the tear from his face.

“Okay.” Daejung sniffed.

            They went back to their hotel room and got ready for bed, again. Mingyu was in charge of bathing Daejung, the hotel gave him a complementary rubber duck when they checked in, which was perfect to keep him entertained. Otherwise bath time would be a chore. He claimed he wasn’t tired but after reading him his story and giving him his kisses he immediately fell asleep. When they left Daejung’s room, Jeonghan let out a tired sigh and Mingyu knew why.

“It’s been so long since he last cried. I don’t even remember the last time.” Jeonghan said sitting in one of the chairs by the window.

“Me neither. He must really care about Jieun.” Mingyu said now sitting across from him.

“He does. Did you see how shy he got at her birthday party when she hugged him.”

“I did. He really likes her, it’s nice to see that, even at such a young age.”

“We really have to find that poodle.” Jeonghan said biting his nails.

“The store I went to said they’ll probably get more by Monday, but we’ll have to get there early.”

“I wonder why they’re so popular?”

“The store owner said that giving a girl a pink poodle is like a of confession of love in France. They usually sell out around Valentine’s day and Christmas.”

“So we came just in time.” Jeonghan said sarcastically.

“Yep. But we’ll get one, don’t worry.” Mingyu smiled, but deep down he had his doubts too.

“Well, in that case we should get some sleep. We have a long day of poodle hunting ahead of us.”

            They went to sleep with the curtains open, they had a gorgeous view of the night lights, not to mention the Eiffel Tower. A sight Jeonghan could never get over, he didn’t even want to close his eyes. But the warmth of Mingyu’s arms around him and the rhythmic thump of his heart beat forced his eyes shut. The next morning they were awoken by a tiny body falling on top of them.

“Wake up, wake up!” Daejung squealed.

“I’m up, I’m up.” Mingyu answered back, not looking much awake.

“Your not up! Daddy tell dad to wake up!”

“Your son wants you to wake up Mingyu-ah.” Jeonghan said groggily, trying to pry his eyes open.

            Jeonghan looked over at the clock to see it was 9am, that means it was 4pm in Korea. Right now, he’d be getting ready to cook dinner. After Daejung bounced on them a bit more they finally got up. Instead of going out for breakfast they ordered room service, which was just as luxurious. Jeonghan ordered a strawberry pastry with coffee and Mingyu had yogurt, buttered toast with coffee. Daejung had a fruit salad with milk, but he mainly ate off their plates as usual. By eleven they are back out, on the hunt for a pink poodle, and sightseeing at the same time.

            Along the way of their search they visited numerous stores and shops. They visited a macaron shop, Jeonghan really wanted to try an authentic macaron from the place it came from. And it did not disappoint. Next they just so happened to spot a antique toy store, hoping they’d find a pink poodle there, but instead they only found an old vintage camera that Mingyu really got attached to. After that, they visited a clothing store for kids, hoping they find a poodle there, but instead walked out with some shoes and a few outfits for Daejung.

By now it was well past three in the afternoon, and it was getting close to dinner time. But they decided to visit one last store, which just so happened to be a baby store. They walked in and there it was, right up front on a display shelf, the object of their desire, a pink poodle. There were only two left.

“Daddy there it is!” Daejung ran up to the display and immediately grabbed one, “We got one!” Daejung jumped up and down squeezing the poodle in his arms.

“Let’s go pay for it.” Mingyu said grabbing picking Daejung up and walking to the counter.

            As Mingyu and Daejung paid for the poodle, Jeonghan looked around the store at the various baby clothes. He then stopped in front of the cutest onesie, it was striped with blue and white and had a little anchor on the front. It was perfect, and it was for a boy. Jeonghan didn’t know if he was going to have a boy, he didn’t even know if he was going to be pregnant, but he wanted it. He needed it. He grabbed the smallest size and walked up to the counter with it, Mingyu was still there as Daejung found a toy he wanted to buy too.

“Add this to that as well.” Jeonghan said placing the onesie on the counter.

“Daddy, I think I’m too big for that.” Daejung said frowning at the baby onesie.

“I know, but it’s not for you Daejung-ah.”

“Who’s it for?”

“You’ll find out soon.” Jeonghan said pinching his cheeks.

            Daejung just shrugged and went back to smiling at the pink poodle they finally found. They paid for the items and began walking back to the hotel to drop off their shopping and get ready for dinner. As soon as they got into their room, Daejung ran to put the poodle in his suitcase, not wanting to lose it. Jeonghan however, took out the onesie and laid it out on the bed, smiling at it. He was so immersed, Mingyu had walked up beside him and he didn’t even notice.

“You think it’ll be a boy?” Mingyu asked snapping him out of his daze.

“I don’t know. I just…” Jeonghan paused smiling again, “I have a very strong feeling.”

“So do I.” Mingyu said grabbing him by the waist and kissing his lips.

“Eww, kissing again!” Daejung hollered.

“Oh, come here you.” Mingyu said running to snatch up Daejung, showering him with kisses, Daejung giggling the whole time.

            This scene, this moment, this feeling, these memories, is exactly why Jeonghan wants another baby. He doesn’t want this to end.