The Calm Before the Storm

Follow the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, guys! This next chapter’s a bit on the short-ish side xD But first, I gotta address some points—

Important stuff (please read):

1.) I saw in the comments for the previous chapter that many of you guys are curious about the fallout between Sungmin and Kyuhyun. Don’t worry, that will eventually be revealed and clarified in a future chapter! :D Actually, some parts regarding this have already been written. Explanations from Kyu as well as bits of flashbacks :3 So, that’s something to look forward to xD

2.) As for ending each chapter by giving the title of the next chapter as hint, I considered granting this request, but it’s not really possible right now, sorry. While some of the future chapters are already named, other chapters don’t have titles yet. Lol for some parts of the story, it’s not yet even fixed where one chapter ends and where another chapter begins; I’ve written or at least marked most of the important scenes, but the chapter divisions are still not fixed. Also, sometimes, I have difficulty with naming a chapter, and it’s sometimes the last thing that I add before posting the update. Like for this chapter lol :))

“You okay?” Sa-eun asked concernedly as her husband climbed into their bed and lied down next to her. 

“Still processing what I found out tonight, I guess…” Sungmin muttered as he pulled up the blanket over him.

Sa-eun nodded. She herself was also having some difficulty with processing the shocking revelations. Then, she asked timidly (timidly because she was also unused to her husband’s current gloomy and serious mood), “What did you and Kyuhyun talk about earlier?”

Sungmin shook his despondently. “Nothing much, really… I just wanted to know why he didn’t tell me about Ryeowook’s heart and his suspicions about Siwon…”

“Well, he really shouldn’t have told about who got Ryeowook’s heart. Even Kyuhyun himself shouldn’t have known about that in the first place,” Sa-eun pointed out fairly. “That was confidential patient information, and he broke so many healthcare policies and ethical principles. I understand that he needed to do it, but still…”

“Like you’re one to talk about being professional and adhering to healthcare rules and policies,” Sungmin raised an eyebrow at her.

Sa-eun ignored him and continued, “As for not telling you about his suspicions regarding Siwon, well, like he said, he didn’t have proof… Without proof, it would just seem like gossiping…”

“Suspicions about a person murdering someone is more than just gossiping.”

“Fine, it would seem like defaming a person’s character and reputation, then. And that’s worse than gossiping. Kyuhyun was just protecting himself as well as others, including you, by keeping his suspicions to himself until he had proof.”

“I kind of noticed that Siwon was possessive with Yesung hyung when they came over that one night,” Sungmin mumbled, though his lips twisted into a frown again at the reminder of having that murderer over for dinner. “But I didn’t think that he was an obsessive, murderous psychopath…”

“Me, too… I never liked him, but even I would have never guessed that he’s a murderer… I can’t believe that I never really noticed or became suspicious of Siwon’s possessiveness,” Sa-eun sighed. And because of everyone’s oversight, her patient had nearly lost his life at Siwon’s hands. “But then again, I suppose that Siwon just was good at hiding his obsession and appearing friendly and polite to others…”

Despite the seriousness of the topic, Sungmin couldn’t but make a gibe at his wife. “Yeah, that… or you were just too focused on pushing Yesung hyung and Kyu-ah to each other to pay much attention to anything else.”

His wife looked highly affronted.

“Hey! Obsessed psycho stalkers really can be good at appearing normal! They put up a good façade in the eyes of society!” Sa-eun protested, defending her huge oversight.

“Yes,” her husband acquiesced on that point. “But you were still much too focused on getting your patient and my friend together. And you still are until now.”

“I’ve always had a bad feeling about Siwon from the start!”

“Only because he was with Yesung hyung and messing up your matchmaking plan.”

Sungmin knew that Siwon had always sent off an odd vibe, but Sungmin also knew that his wife’s great dislike for Siwon from the start mainly had to do with how, in her eyes, Siwon stood in the way between Yesung and Kyuhyun. Stood in the way of her matchmaking plan.

“Yah! Lee Sungmin! You sleep in the guestroom tonight!” She started pushing him off the bed.

Sungmin chuckled a bit and pulled his wife into an embrace. “Just kidding, dear.”    

“Seonsaengnim, what happened to you?”

Yesung abruptly turned around. It was Kim Kibum, staring at him with worry and concern. The dance student’s eyes went over the cuts and bruises on his skin, with each cut and bruise making Kibum’s frown grow deeper and deeper.

Yesung had returned to the academy a few days after the attack (once he had been deemed fit to work by the neurologist as well as both Dr. Lee and Dr. Cho), and he had already had to fend off so many questions about what happened to him from his colleagues and his students. But now, running into Kibum again was much worse, because Yesung clearly remembered Kyuhyun saying that Kibum will inform his brother about the attack once he had seen Yesung.

“Didn’t I tell you to stay away from me?” Yesung tried to deflect the question.

Kibum just kept asking more questions. “Were you attacked or mobbed? Who did this to you, seonsaengnim?” Though the student already had some suspicion about who was responsible for the teacher’s sorry and beaten up state.

“I’m fine,” Yesung said brusquely. “Now, get to class.”

Yesung walked away once more with the feeling of Kibum’s stare following him. The music teacher sighed. He had a feeling that he now couldn’t avoid a meeting with Kim Heechul.

“Hyung, we’re hanging out at the jazz bar after work, okay?”

Yesung looked at Donghae skeptically. “Is this because you really want to hang out and spend time with me, or it this just because you want to keep me accompanied and protected?”

The music teacher was in Eunhae’s office again, though it was currently just Donghae there with him. And Yesung couldn’t help but be suspicious of the motive behind Donghae’s invitation.

“Well, whoever said that it can’t be both reasons, right?” Donghae said brightly, not letting the older man’s skepticism dampen his mood and enthusiasm. “We get to have fun and chat and drink, and we also keep you safe at the same time. It’s a win-win situation, hyung!”

“Donghae, this is really unnece—”

But Yesung was interrupted by his phone ringing. He frowned slightly as he noticed that the number was withheld and couldn’t be seen. 

“Hello?” he greeted as he accepted the call.

No answer. Only static could be heard.

“Hello?” Yesung tried again.

Just more static. Then, the phone call was ended by the other person.

“Who was that, hyung?”

“I don’t know, Hae. I could only hear static.”

“Oh, we sometimes have bad cellular reception here. That happens to me as well. Kind of annoying, really…”

Yesung just hummed in response. The call still bothered him, though. Donghae’s explanation about the poor cellular reception could account for hearing nothing but static; however, Yesung still wondered about the withheld number of the caller. Even more, Yesung wondered who could be calling him. His phone now was new. He had just bought it a few days ago as a replacement for the one that Siwon had stomped on and destroyed. Yesung hadn’t given out his new number to so many people yet, and he wondered who the caller was and how they already knew his new number…

Due to busy schedules at the hospital, it took a few days before Sa-eun finally had the time to bother visit Kyuhyun in his office again.

There were chairs in front of Kyuhyun’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter