Chapter 2

Croquis

Chapter 2


it was 11am when Taekwoon received a text from Hakyeon. Taekwoon scowled. He felt like he was being scammed. Hakyeon was too good to be true. A buyer? Who is interested in him? And a gorgeous one at that? He thought Hakyeon would have been a model but he ended up being a buyer? Taekwoon knew nothing about marketting and listening to Hakyeon whose words made his item sound so markettable… sounded like a dream.

And he said Taekwoon should attempt fashion design.

Taekwoon felt his heart racing. A person who actually scouts designers, thought he was good enough to design clothing. Taekwoon shook his head, getting up from his bed to make some coffee to gulp as he went through the proposal. God knows Taekwoon needed his caffeine fix to support him emotionally more than physically.

Everything Hakyeon had disucssed with Taekwoon was in the proposal but it also now included budget, moodboards, marketing analysis. How the hell did Hakyeon get this done in less than 24 hours? That man must be mad. Or a genius. And Taekwoon felt bad that such an amazing man had to deal with Taekwoon who felt his anxiety creeping at all the numbers and projected timeline.

He calls up his best friend. 

“Hyung, whats up?” 

“Wonshik ah, help me,” Taekwoon cried immediately.

“Whoa, what happened?” 

Taekwoon gave Wonshik a run down of what had happened, forwarding the proposal to him for opinion. Wonshik owns his own boutique where he showcases his fashion line and his other friends as well be it collaboration or independant. They had met in college and had been good friends despite having different styles. At first Taekwoon was wary of Wonshik's loudness. Only to realise it was just his way of expression and Wonshik was actually a very sensitive private person. They had many arguments to begin with but realised that they respected each others opinions and somehow, a long and tight friendship and camaraderie stayed between them.

“Hmmm…. looks like a solid proposal,” Wonshik remarked after going through the proposal, “you should go for it, Hyung. It’d be good for you. Chances like this don’t come any other day,”

“You think? I don’t feel like my work will be suited for Jellyfish. It’s for the masses,”

“Even if it wasn’t for Jellyfish, this proposal should be your way forward. It’s a really solid marketing strategy. What’s making you hesitate,”

“What if I’m being scammed?”

Wonshik’s laugh thundered through the phone, “Hyung, if you don’t push yourself you’ll lose on these kind of opportunities you know. Is the guy scary?”

“No, he’s gorgeous,”

Wonshik laughed again, “If you’re so worried, do you want me to have a word with him for you?” Wonshik offered in between ragged breathing from laughing too much. 

That sounded like a good idea. Wonshik had a good head for business. If someone had to talk to Hakyeon on his behalf, it’d be Wonshik. 

“Early dinner tonight? You can call him and we can meet over dinner. I’m interested to meet this spunk who had the guts to approach Jung Taekwoon head on,”

____________________

Hakyeon arrived to his flat at 5pm, and Taekwoon was still unprepared. Fresh out of the shower, Taekwoon answered the door to a beaming Hakyeon. 

“My boss approved of the proposal!” Hakyeon chimed excitedly, “I’m here early so that I can go through it with you before dinner if it’s okay,” God, Taekwoon could see Hakyeon’s eyes sparkling in excitement and wished that he could share the excitement but all he felt was more anxiety,

“I just got out of the shower. Take a seat and I’ll join you in a bit,” Taekwoon led Hakyeon to a couch before heading into his cubby of a room to get dressed.

Hakyeon was grinning ear to ear and his eyes excitedly scanned Taekwoon’s studio. He saw a bookshelf and noticed a row of sketchbooks. Curious, he pulled out one of the sketchbooks and flipped through it. His mouth opened in awe at the sketches he saw. Taekwoon wasn’t exactly the neatest sketcher and his writing was what most people would call a scrawl. But, having research Taekwoon’s portfolio, Hakyeon could easily translate the sketches into what he imagined was Taekwoon’s view if it were to be materialised. Hakyeon chuckled as he noted the haphazard sketches could turn into such elegant accessories. Hakyeon would gladly accept it as a mark of a genius as he nodded proudly at the sketches.

Taekwoon looked over his shoulders, “is your hobby going through people’s sketchbook?” 

“I gage people’s talent from their sketchbook. Anyway, if we’re going to work together, I need to learn how to interpret your sketches,”

Taekwoon scowled. He never liked listening to people’s order and he has always been a solo player. The confidence of Hakyeon’s voice sent shivers down his spine. Taekwoon gulped as he considered not signing the contract. He’s considered and reconsidered it as he waited for Hakyeon to get back to him about whether the proposal was going to get approved and honestly, at his age, this deal would push him out there. The pros definitely outweighed the cons. Sure everyone dreams of having a successful career by being “different”. But only talent could push you THAT far. Anyway, he could always return to his solo work if this deal didn’t work out. It’s not like he’s abandoning his baby. “Ready?” Taekwoon made sure his rings were secured on his fingers.

“Yeap!” Hakyeon grinned brightly, straightening himself. They exited the studio and headed down, Hakyeon flagging a a taxi down to head to the restaurant they had reserved. The journey was mostly Hakyeon explaining what the management had commented on about the proposal while Taekwoon hummed in response. Hakyeon basically bragged about how he managed to seduce them with the proposal and basically sold Taekwoon to his superiors. By the end of the trip, Taekwoon was absurdly annoyed by how arrogant Hakyeon could be and properly reconsidering the contract.

“Yo, Hyung!” Wonshik waved from a table.

“Ah, is that your friend?” Hakyeon quickly set his business mask on, straightening his clothes. Taekwoon only hummed and dashed towards Wonshik, eager to be far away from Hakyeon who only hastened his steps to follow suite. “Cha Hakyeon, from Jellyfish,” Hakyeon smiled and extended his arm out. 

“Oh, Kim Wonshik,” Wonshik stood up and shook Hakyeon’s hand.

“Ravi right? Founder of GROOVL1N?”

“Whoa, you know me!” Wonshik’s eyes widened.

“Who wouldn’t? You’re brand is well known for the streetwear and collaborations. I’ve seen your works on runways many times,” Hakyeon took off his blazer before settling himself down.

“Wouldn’t take you for someone who’d be into streetwear,” Wonshik smirked, eyebrows raising at Hakyeon’s overall look. 

“I’m not, nor is Jellyfish but it’s always good to see what the market has to offer, and even if I didn't, you're popular enough within the industry” Hakyeon smiled, “I’ve gone ahead and ordered for all of us the restaurants specialty if you don’t mind, so just enjoy yourself and order anything else you would like to have,”

“Hm, you’re definitely a star businessman,” Wonshik chuckled with a smirk, “I’ve been checking you out too. Cha Hakyeon, Jellyfish’s star buyer. You’ve got a solid portfolio backing you up,”

Hakyeon laughed, “well, to be praised but someone of your caliber especially when you’re outside my area of expertise, I’m quite flattered. I have to admit, your collaborations are really good. I really liked the Nirvana collection that you did with Jimin. The colours and prints you used were amazing,”

“Whoa, that was seasons ago!”

“That collection was honestly what made me keep tabs on you. Your Tuxedo collection had really nice pieces as well,”

“Heeeeh, then how come I’ve never met you before?”

“Ah, I’m not a fan of parties so I’ll only attend them if it’s for business. Anyway, GROOVL1N is definitely not in Jellyfish’s radar so I never had to attend any of the events you were in,” the first round arrived, “Ah, sorry, Mr Jung, we came here to talk about your proposal but I got carried away with Ravi,”

Ravi laughed, “Mr Jung?” he managed to spit out in between laughter.

“Call me Taekwoon, we’re of the same age anyway,” Taekwoon’s cheeks flushed lightly, kicking Wonshik’s leg under the table.

“You can call me Wonshik,” Wonshik smiled, “shall we drink than? To celebrate?” Wonshik beamed excitedly,

“Ah, pass. I’m not a good drinker,” Hakyeon laughed awkwardly.

“No way, you must be joking, you’re a businessman,” Wonshik called for the waiter. 

Wonshik got drinks for a reluctant Hakyeon and a passive Taekwoon. A glass or two later, and the next thing you know, Hakyeon was flushed from neck up, face beaming happily as he laughed at little jokes that Wonshik was making. Taekwoon had never seen someone who was so weak against alcohol and that was coming from him. Wonshik and Hakyeon laughed loudly together, making Hakyeon nearly miss his call

“Hello~” Hakyeon answered in a sing-song voice. His face changed instantly, eyebrows furrowing, “what do you mean they got the stock wrong?” Hakyeon stood up and gave an apologetic look before heading out to talk on the phone. 

“Seems like a nice guy,” Wonshik stated as soon as he saw Hakyeon exiting the restaurant.

“Don’t you think he’s a bit too, positive,” Taekwoon grumbled.

“Heh, a good that would do for such a negative person like you,” Wonshik grinned and Taekwoon resisted throwing the brocolli towards Wonshik’s face.

“And it’s mass market. I’m not really comfortable with that,” Taekwoon sighed.

“Why? What's wrong with mass market? Some of my works are mass produced, quite a lot of it in fact,” 

“Jewellery should be bespoke or limited. Each piece have their own story. By mass marketing it’s basically killing its soul,”

Wonshik rolled his eyes, “really Hyung. Didn’t take you for such a traditionalist,” Wonshik set his cutleries down, “just take it Hyung, it’s a good deal. Anyway, you just need to up to it within the time frame. It’d be good marketing. If it doesn’t work out, just go back to doing bespoke jewellery for JTW. Have you discussed your proposal with him yet?”

“The proposals basically green lit by Jellyfish. He says I just need to design a set or two for the lower budget range,”

“Just do it Hyung. What’s the worst that can happen,”

“Sorry guys,” Hakyeon dashed back to their table. face distressed, “I have to leave. There’s issues happening back at HQ,”

“It’s nearly 9pm,” Taekwoon narrowed his eyes questioningly.

“Mmm,” Hakyeon smied as a matter of factly, “I’ve got to settle it by tonight so I have to make a run for it. I’ve settled the bill so you guys go ahead and enjoy it,” Hakyeon grabbed his blazer and his bag, “here, your contract. You have to get back to me in a week and once you’ve hand it over, we can immediately start planning,” Hakyeon beamed and bowed once he finished buttoning his blazer up, “again, sorry for having to leave so suddenly,” 

“No worries. Thanks for dinner,” Wonshik nodded.

“It was nice meeting you, Wonshik,” Hakyeon bowed, “and I hope we’ll be seeing each other soon Mr J-“ Hakyeon coughed and smiled bashfully, “Taekwoon,” 

Taekwoon felt his cheeks heating up, “Ah, have a safe trip, Hakyeon,” Taekwoon realised this was probably the first time he had called Hakyeon by his name.

“Have a safe trip huh,” Wonshik chuckled softly once Hakyeon was gone, earning a good strong kick from Taekwoon.

 

________________

 

Of course Taekwoon signed the contract.

Wonshik threatened that if Taekwoon didn’t sign the contract, Wonshik would have and after a miserable rant to his other friend, Sanghyuk, Taekwoon was basically bullied into signing the contract. Hakyeon was ecstatic, appearing almost immediately once Taekwoon informed him that he has signed the contract. Like a whirlwind, Hakyeon and Taekwoon started planning the launch. 

Taekwoon was stubborn.

But my god was Hakyeon more stubborn. The saving grace was that Hakyeon was always looking for methods to compromise and Taekwoon had to admit, most of them were reasonable enough. They argued often, screaming at each other, not talking to each other, only to have Hakyeon coming back with new ideas to compromise on what they had argued about, rinse and repeat. Once his designs were sent for production, Taekwoon had to admit that despite all that, he had to respect Hakyeon’s perseverance and determination. The man was smart, capable, and driven to get things done with methodical perfection. Even some of Taekwoon’s designs which Taekwoon which had detailing that Taekwoon spent nights on went under the scrutiny of Hakyeon’s meticulous eye which Taekwoon nearly gouge out at one point. 

“Why don’t you produce some clothing?” Hakyeon asked one day, eyes fixed on one of Taekwoon’s sketchbooks which laid open on his lap.

Taekwoon scowled, hating the question. All his friends would ask him this, “my designs aren’t really what would sell on the market and I’m not sure people will appreciate it,” Taekwoon grumbled out. He recalled one of his friends who had liked his pieces in college, pestering Taekwoon to give one to him. Only to realise that Taekwoon’s designed fitted Taekwoon alone and somehow didn't seem to fit anyone else. Somehow the proportions of normal people did not meld nicely with his pieces. It frustrated him and his friends were upset so he decided to keep fashion personal. Sure he had worked with Wonshik a few times but Wonshik held the helm most of the time. Taekwoon just had to admit his style wasn’t made for the masses so he had never bothered.

“Why not?” Hakyeon hummed, tracing his finger on one of the sketches, “I like it. I think it can sell,” Hakyeon closed the sketchbook, staring at a rack nearby which Taekwoon had chucked some of his clothes on, “your pieces are definitely runway worthy and I can already imagine people buying it for a good sum. You have good style Taekwoon,” Hakyeon stood up and headed towards the rack, “and your pieces suit luxury materials too. You should give it a try,” Hakyeon beamed at Taekwoon.

Taekwoon flinched in his seat, stopping his work on a sample piece that he was working on, “I’m more comfortable sticking to accessories,” he decided to reply back.

“Hmmm, what a pity. Your clothes always look so nice. I like it when you wear them,” Taekwoon felt heat rising to his cheeks listening to Hakyeon, the anxiety of the praise slowly building up in him as always, “I would never be able to pull them off,” Taekwoon looked up at Hakyeon with narrowed eyes.

“What do you mean you wouldn’t pull it off?” Hakyeon must be crazy thinking that. Hakyeon was someone Taekwoon was sure would be able pull it even a garbage bag off. He had a slender frame, long limbs and good posture. Hakyeon’s meticulousness also meant that it was rare to see Hakyeon with a strand out of place, unironed shirt, dirty nails and he sure as hell don’t think he’s ever seen a pimple gracing Hakyeon’s flawless face. He'd probably make said garbage bag into couture. 

“Well, your pieces tend to just drape over you right? My shoulders aren’t as broad as yours and my legs aren’t as long as yours too. I’m also a bit fat in some areas. They wouldn’t fit me at all,” Hakyeon laughed awkwardly, placing the clothing back on the rack.

“You’re not fat,” has Hakyeon even looked at a mirror? He was slim with just the right amount of thickness in the right areas compared to the skin and bones that was Taekwoon, “and maybe you haven’t realised it but you’re beautiful. The first day we met, I drew you cause I thought you were beautiful. And trust me, you have an eye for design and it’s apparent not only from your work but how you dress yourself as well. I like the way clothes fit you, that’s why I noticed you that day,” it wasn’t just his clothes. The more he worked with Taekwoon the more Taekwoon marveled at things he found beautiful on Hakyeon. Hakyeon had meat in the right places and had curves that Taekwoon could imagine cloth draping beautifully against. Hakyeon’s fingers were beautiful and Taekwoon could imagine his pieces adorning Hakyeon’s strong but delicate fingers. And as someone who had fair skin he loved the way colours contrasted against Hakyeon’s skin tone which seemed to glow on some days. And why the hell was Hakyeon being so silent? “Oh,”

Hakyeon was beet red and staring off in a distance, lips tight in a pout as if he was hesitating. That shade of red was lovely. “Ah, sorry” Hakyeon quickly looked away, “I just need the toilet for awhile,”

That was probably the first time Taekwoon had seen Hakyeon resigning from an argument. Was it even an argument? But it was also the first time Taekwoon felt a pool of guilt and it reminded him again how bad he was at socialising again.