final

Birthday Tradition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Chorong, this is Bae Joohyun. Please take care of her well.”

 

Chorong gives a small bow, pretending to listen as the principal talks to the new student about her schedule. As class president, Chorong is always tasked with showing new students around on their first days. She normally doesn’t mind, but today is Eunji’s birthday. She’d been hoping to have lunch with her. Maybe do their birthday tradition then. Maybe the new girl could join them and their friends?

 

“Well, I believe that’s it,” Principal Huh says with a jovial smile. “Here are your passes to class,” Principal Huh says, handing them each a slip of paper. “It’ll excuse any tardiness you may have to class within reason, since it’s your first day and Chorong is showing you around.”

 

Both Chorong and Joohyun bow quickly before excusing themselves. As soon as they walk out, Chorong suggests a quick walk around the school before classes officially start for the day. If they do this now, that means Chorong won’t have to stay late after to do it. That also means Eunji won’t have to wait around for her. Joohyun agrees easily enough and follows after Chorong.

 

As Chorong gives the tour, she finds Joohyun easy to get along with. The other girl is more on the quieter and calmer side like she is, but she’s got a good sense of humor. Not to mention, she’s very pretty, and if Chorong didn’t already like someone else, she could see herself falling for Joohyun in the blink of an eye. 

 

Speaking of someone else, Chorong can’t help but smile as Eunji walks into the hallway, leaving the locker room with Bomi. She’s haphazardly wearing her uniform like she always does, forgoing the bow and leaving the first few buttons of her shirt undone. She watches as Eunji giggles at something Bomi says, ducking her head for Bomi to place a paper crown on top of her head.

 

Chorong has almost forgotten about the tour by the time Eunji notices her and calls out, “Morning, Rong!” Bomi echoes her greeting then whispers something to Eunji that makes the other girl laugh.

 

“People you know?” Joohyun asks knowingly. “We can stop and say hi. We’ve seen most of the school.”

 

Chorong blushes and says, “If that's alright. I promise they’re really nice.”

 

“Sure,” Joohyun nods with a smile. 

 

Chorong walks with Joohyun to meet Eunji and Bomi halfway. Like it’s as natural as breathing, Eunji sticks herself to Chorong’s side, her arm winding its way around her waist. Joohyun raises an eyebrow at that but says nothing.

 

“Eunji, Bomi, this is Bae Joohyun. It’s her first day here,” Chorong explains, fighting down the blush that threatens to take over her face as Joohyun continues to glance between her and Eunji. “Be nice.”

 

“We’re always nice!” Bomi protests. 

 

While she introduces herself to Joohyun, Eunji presses her lips to Chorong’s ear and asks quietly, “Are we still good to hang out after school?”

 

Chorong pulls away and gives her a confused look, making Eunji look at Joohyun pointedly. Chorong smiles and reassures her, “I might have to show her where the library is after school, but that’s about it.” Then she leans into her and says, “Happy birthday, by the way.”

 

“Thanks,” Eunji says, practically beaming at the simple words. “Hey, do I have any glitter in my hair? Bomi threw a bunch on me after practice. It was part one of my birthday present, or so she says.”

 

“Let me see,” Chorong sighs. She takes off the paper crown and holds Eunji’s head while the other girl obediently lowers it to give Chorong a better look. Chorong rolls her eyes as she picks out bits of plastic from her hair, and when she can’t find anymore, she taps Eunji’s shoulder to let her know she’s done. She places the crown back on her head and grins when it sits crooked on Eunji's head. “No more glitter,” Chorong tells her sternly. “The last time you came over with glitter on you I found it on my bed for months after.”

 

“No promises,” Eunji says with a toothy grin.

 

Chorong goes to reply when Joohyun calls out hesitantly, “Chorong?” Blushing again, Chorong turns to find Joohyun trying not to smile. “Sorry,” Joohyun says, “but Bomi said the bell rings in five minutes, and I have no idea where my class is.”

 

“Oh, sorry!” Chorong blurts out, blushing even darker when she realizes she was so caught up in talking to Eunji that she completely forgot about the tour. “Let’s go.” She steps out from Eunji’s hold and says to her and Bomi, “See you guys at lunch.”

 

“See ya,” Eunji nods.

 

“Joohyun can join us too!” Bomi adds.

 

Joohyun smiles brightly at this and nods. As they’re walking away, Joohyun says, “You’re right. They are nice. Or, Bomi is at least. I didn’t really talk to Eunji. She seemed pretty preoccupied.” Joohyun says this las

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter