On a Warm Spring Day

On a Warm Spring Day

In our life we probably have memory that we can't forget. Something, we always remember and want to throw back if possible. I have got one too and it happened 6 years ago..... 

 

-----///-----


One night after left my part time job at night I got hit from behind by a drunken man and fell into the railway. I was so shocked because that time the train was coming, I thought I was going to die for sure. Suddenly there was a man appeared in front of me and then I became unconscious. After that when I woke up, I already saw myself in hospital surrounded by my relatives.

 

I've just moved to Seoul to enter university as I've just finished my high school in my hometown, Busan. I've moved to live with my aunt's family and just started a part time job at a convenience store at Gamnam town. They told me what happened but what made me wondering is that they said I came up from railway by myself then fainted. As I remember I became unconscious on the railway already so there was no way I could climb up by myself. I saw a man even I couldn't remember his face well. I think he must be the one who helped me.

-----

Today I left work at late night again. It was at the same time and same place I got the accident that night. There were no other passengers besides me since it was almost midnight. I was standing to wait for the train but something got my attention. There was a man sitting on a bench and sobbing alone. I first tried to ignore him then I decided to go near him to ask if he had any problem.

"Excuse me, are you having any problem?" I asked him hesitantly.

He faced up to look at me with red eyes as he seemed to have been crying for too much and too long already.

"You can see me?" he asked with surprised expression.

"What do you mean I can see you?" I asked with uneasy feeling.

"The person who can see me is only the one who has fate with me or the one who is going to die soon." he replied that made me so frightened.

"What? What are you talking about? Are you a... Ghost..." I was stuttering and become unconscious.

When I woke up, I saw him looking at me very closely. "Awwwww..... " I punched him on face. "Go away! Go away!" I got up and ran quickly.

"Wait a minute!" he suddenly appeared in front of me like a wind.

"Don't haunt me, Mr. Ghost!" I sat down and closed my eyes.

"I need your help." He said.

"What? What can I help ghost? Please go away! Hik hik" I kept covering my face with both hands.

"I've been finding someone who can see and talk with me for almost 4 years now. Please help me!" He kept telling but I was ready to faint again. I hoped this time when I woke up, I wouldn't see him but I saw him was looking at me again. As I saw him, I was about to faint again. "Stop! Stop fainting! I really need to talk with you." He said with a bigger voice this time. "I won't do anything to you. I need your help for one thing. Please! I don't have many times left. Please help me!" He said with tearful eyes. I started to feel a bit calm and got up.

He didn't look like a scary and ugly ghost like in movie. He looked just like simple human, it's just that he could become blur like a shadow or smoke immediately.

"Wh... What can I help you?" I became a bit brave to have conversation with him.

"I want you to go to the university I graduated and get my graduated certificate for me. I want to see it before I have to leave." He said with teary eyes.

"Ahh, I won't! Please go to find others! I don't want to involve with ghost. Don't follow me!" I replied then quickly ran out from station. I was running quite far then turned back to see if he was still following me but I didn't see him. I went home and got sick. But I didn't tell my aunt or anyone at all about this.

-----

Next day I woke up and wished everything would be just a dream. I prayed that I would never meet that ghost again but it's not finished yet. I met him again even it was at day time.

"Please help me!" He appeared in front of me like a wind again as I was walking to leave station.

"Awwww you again! Go away! Stop following me!" I chased him and ran.

"Please! I'm running out of time. Nobody can see or talk with me like you so I can't ask them to help me." He was begging with pitiful face but I didn't care because I was really afraid of him.

 

That day at night after work I hurriedly entered train station to catch a train before he would come to haunt me again. But as I was stepping on stairs, I saw him from a distance. He was trying to talk with passengers who pass by him but nobody seemed to hear nor see him. He sometimes stood still and cried. I felt a bit pity him but I was still afraid because he's a ghost. He suddenly saw me. I got shocked and was about to turn back and ran from him but he quickly turned away from looking at me and acted like he wasn't going to disturb me anymore. He continued trying to talk to other passengers but still nobody could hear him. I was watching him for quite long. He looked tired and hopeless so he sat down on a bench and cried. I started to lose my fear a little for him. I collected my bravery and walked to him.

 

"Hey, you!" I stuttered, calling him. He slowly faced up to look at me.

"Nobody can see or hear me." He said with hopeless face expression.

"Can you tell me your story and let's see if I can help you." I said then he started telling me his story.

"4 years ago, it was my graduation day from university. I was being so excited and left home to join the ceremony at my university. But when I got to transfer in here, Gamnam station, there was a drunken man fell on the railway. I tried to press the emergency button in order to stop the train from coming but the button wasn't working so I decided to jump in and helped him. I got him from the railway first safely but while I was struggling to climb from the railway myself, the train arrived and I died at that time." He was recalling his bad memory with tear and pain. "I came to Seoul to study law. I was doing well for 4 years and I supposed to get an admiration certificate along with my graduation certificate but I had died before I received it so when grim reaper came to take my spirit to reborn again, I begged him to let me be able to see my certificate once. He gave me 4 years to find someone who has fate with me to help me." He kept explaining.

"But why don't you go to find it by yourself since nobody could see you." I interrupted.

"I can't leave here. I can only stay inside station and train, only this train line. Well I actually can go outside but my power will be lost and I will become sick and weak so I can't go out from here." He replied.

"So you want me to help to get the admiration certificate and graduated certificate for you, right?" I asked and he nodded.

"After I see it, I'll fulfill my wish and go to reborn." He said. I was silent for a while.

"Hmm I don't agree yet. Let me consider it for one day! For now I have to go." I said then got on the train to go back home.

 

As soon as I arrived home, I took my laptop to search about accident 4 years ago at Gamnam station and I really found him.

"A Seoul University student selflessly jumped to help a drunk man and ended up dying himself."

I was reading the article. "Kim Jonghyun, 23 years old, Law student of Seoul University." I found out his background. I read the article and unrealized I was crying. I got so shocked by how kind and selfless he was. After knowing all he told me wasn't a lie and how he sacrificed his life like this, I decided to help him.

-----

Next day, I went to Gamnam station very early to find him. I finally found him. He smiled to me as soon as he saw me. I've just noticed that he is very handsome especially in his black graduation suit. I smiled to him back and walked to him.

"Kim Jonghyun, is it your name, right?" I asked. He got surprised and nodded with a bright smile.

"You checked about me?" He asked.

"Yes, I searched for your news last night. You're truly a hero and I... I decided to help you." I accepted his wish.

He shed tear and I could see how painful and happy he is at the same time. He must be so sad to die at this young age. I hesitated at first to pat his back but finally I did it to console him. I let him cried as he wanted then we sat down to have a talk and I also introduced myself to him.

"You really help me, Yuna?" He asked to confirm.

"Let me try but I still don't know how I can get the certificates for you because I'm not your relative." I sighed.

"It's ok. Just tell them you're my friend. I'm an orphan. I don't have parents or relatives." He replied that made me shocked again. I became pity him even more. Why is his life this hard? I still don't know how I can help him but I must help him. Coincidentally, I will take entrance exam to enter Seoul university in a few days so I will find a way to get his certificate by then.

 

-----

From that day we meet at station almost every day since my part time job is at a convenience store at there so I've to take this train every day. He taught me a lot about study to prepare for entrance exam and the lucky thing is that I also choose to study Law so I could learn from him a lot. I can say that he is very  smart and hard studied student.

 

One night I left work late again and we were chit chat a lot until I mentioned about a night, I got an accident. He got surprised to hear about it.

"I see. Maybe that's why you can see and talk with me." He said.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I asked.

"I was the one who helped you. You can see me that time because you were about to die but I helped you so our fate connected and you can see, talk and touch me." He smiled.

"So you helped me? If you didn't help me, I would have died already right?" I asked in shock and burst out crying.

"Don't cry! You're fine now. You can live longer." He patted my head like a caring brother. I was so shocked to hear that my life was actually that short. And when I know he was the one who rescued me, I feel so touched and want to help him as soon as possible.

-----

Finally, my entrance exam's day has come. I took the train to see him before I went to take exam.

"Good luck! I know you can do it." He gave me a cheerful smile. I felt like I got a great inspiration and went to take exam. I believe I did well on my exam. Jonghyun's lecture preparation for me is very useful. After exam I rushed to see him again. He was happy to hear I have done well.

-----

A week later, I received result from the university. I passed and will attend entrance ceremony next week. I quickly went to tell him my happy news. He clapped for me and gave me a thumb up.

"Thanks for helping me! Once I enter the school, I'll try to ask for your certificate from teacher." I said and he smiled satisfyingly. "Thanks in advance!" He replied.

"I will get it for you no matter what. I promise!" I said faithfully. He just smiled at me with truthful smile.

 

Before school started, I have a lot of time so I often came to meet Jonghyun and we got on train to different places that this line could go.

"Jonghyun ah, it's spring now and Cherry blossom is gonna bloom soon. I wish we could see it together at a beautiful garden. I'm really excited for Seoul spring but I know you can't leave station nor go outside." I said while we were riding on a train without direction.

"Let's go together on a warm spring day!" He said.

"Huh? How? Can you go outside now?" I asked with surprising.

"Just one day and a few hours maybe it's fine!" He replied with a smile. I got very excited and clapped my hands crazily without realizing people around me were looking at me who kept talking alone for hours and clapped alone like this. Yes, nobody can see Jonghyun but I always forget about that. Whenever I'm with him, I'm the happiest girl in the world while people would think I have mental problem to talk and smile alone.

-----

Finally, my entrance ceremony day came and I was very excited for it. I went to see Jonghyun first as usual.

"You look so beautiful today. Happy first day at school! Good luck with your university's life!" He smiled and patted my head like a caring brother as usual.

"Thank you! And Jonghyun ah, I'll try to get your certificates for you." I ensured my promise again.

"I believe you can. I'm waiting!" He replied.

After ceremony day, school has started. I didn't delay time, I went to school director's office and asked for his certificates. But it's not easy as I thought. The school won't give it to me no matter how I begged. Mr. Director said it's personal certificate and since Jonghyun has no family so just a friend he won't give to me. I was so hopeless and didn't know how to face with Jonghyun.

I sadly went to find Jonghyun. As soon as I saw him, I cried.

"What's wrong, Yuna? Why are you crying?" He asked worryingly.

"Jonghyun ah, I'm sorry. Mr. Director won't give it to me." I kept crying and told him everything. He became hopeless but he still kept smiling for me.

"You've done well, Yuna. Don't cry! Don't blame yourself! Maybe it's my fate." He tried to hold his tears.

"How many days left? How many days left before you leave?" I asked.

"3 days left!" He replied with very weak but deep painful voice. It looked like he's going to cry soon.

"Hmm not that long! I'll try to help you again." I stood up and said with high commitment again.

"Yuna ah, it's fine with certificate. What is important for me now is... let's go to visit Cherry blossom together before I leave!" He said as he wiped my tears that kept falling like rain.

"Sure! When do you want to go? You have only 3days left anyway." I asked.

"On a warm spring day!" He replied with smile.

"Warm spring day?" I repeated and took my phone to check about the weather.

"It's gonna be on Sunday. The weather is just 16 degree celsius and it's... your last day too." I said as my tear is ready to drop again.

"Let's go then!" He said.

We made the appointment.

-----

I had only a few days and I was very stressed out to get the certificate for him. I went to talk with director again but he refused as usual. I went to tell Jonghyun about it but he tried to cheer me up not to be so upset because he is really fine with it now. In front of me he acted that he was fine but when I left him and looked at him secretly from a far, he kept crying painfully. This time I decided that even I have to put my life, I have to get it for him.

-----

Next day I went to Director office again and shamelessly kneeled in front of him.

"Teacher, please! If you can't give it to me, just lend me for a day. I'll return it back. Please! I really need it. Someone has to see it. He wants to see it before he leaves." I kept begging and cried. "Why are you this stubborn? It's the rule. We can't give it to you. Jonghyun has died and he doesn't even have relatives plus he was a great achieved student in our school, we can't give it to you. Go back and stop asking because I really can't give! Go back, Kid!" He refused as usual.

"Teacher, someone has to see it. He has to see it." I kept repeating. "It's useless to kneel here because I'm not gonna give. I go now even you don't go!" He said then left.

I kept kneeling alone and likely to fall down soon. After class finished, Dircetor went to his office again.

"What? You're still here kneeling?" He got surprised to see me still kneeling like 5 hours already.

"Mr. Director, please! Someone has to see it and he doesn't have a lot of time left. Please!" I said with very exhausted voice.

Director seemed to feel pity for me then he decided to lend me the certificates for a few days. I was very excited and quickly went to find Jonghyun.

-----

 

"Jonghyun ah!" I shouted from a far then ran to hold him with excitement.

"I've made it, Jonghyun. I've made it." I said then released myself from holding him. I handed him the certificates.

"This..." He was shaking as he was receiving his certificates from me. He opened it and was looking while tears kept falling non-stop.

"Congratulations, Student Kim Jonghyun for this achievement! Congratulations on your graduation day!" I congratulated and clapped for him. He smiled and kept crying a lot.

"Finally, I could see my graduated certificate. Thank you, Yuna!" He said then sat down to hold his certificates into his chest crying too much that I've never seen him crying like this before.

"You've done great, Jonghyun. My wonderful senior, I'll try to study hard like you." I said and he turned to look at me. I hugged him as he still cried so hard. I patted his back and sometimes his head.

After a long cry and hug, he became a bit better and handed me back his certificates. "It's enough now and I'm so happy." He finally could give me his soft smile as usual.

"Take it back to the school! Thanks for your help!" He bowed to me slightly.

"You've saved my life. This is just a little help compared to that." I replied.

"Ahh ouch my legs!" I suddenly realized the pain from kneeling for many hours.

"What's wrong with your legs?" He asked worryingly.

"Hmm it's... well Mr. Director didn't agree to lend your certificates to me easily so I kneeled for almost 5 hours to beg him." I couldn't hide it from him so I told the truth.  

"Sorry, Yuna ah! You get hurt because of me. I'm sorry." He apologized and looked so sad to hear it.

"It's ok. Because I could make my promise with you, I'm so happy. Hehe" I smiled to cheer him up.

"Good! Oh now you should go back home and take rest because you've been exhausted and tomorrow we have a date... I mean an appointment to visit Cherry blossom together." He reminded.

"You're right. We're going to see Cherry blossom tomorrow and it's... your last day." I said as my happy expression automatically turned to be sad and likely to cry soon.

"Ah I should go now. See you tomorrow! Goodnight, Jonghyun!" I asked to leave before I cried in front of him.

I ran to wait for the train but because my legs were every painful, I bumped over the waiting line and almost fell in railway but luckily Jonghyun grabbed my waist on time.

"Oh god... I'm almost to fall." I exclaimed loudly as my body is still inside his arms.

"Be careful from now on, Yuna! Soon I'm not here to recuse you anymore." He said with worried face. This time I couldn't help but cried in front of him.

"I know. I'll be careful. Hik hik you'll leave me soon. Hik hik Jonghyun ah" I cried out as loud as my pain told to.

"Don't cry just take care of yourself! Don't make me worried!" He patted my head to console.

"After tomorrow, I won't see you, right?" I asked painfully.

"So let's make tomorrow as the happiest day in our life and unforgettable day!" He replied and he was likely to cry too but he still kept being strong to give me his unchanging smile.

 

I couldn't stop crying since I separated from him at train station and this full night I cried, cried and cried till I fell asleep. I was very painful to accept the truth that he has to leave me after tomorrow.

-----

 

Finally, our last day together came. I decided to try to keep smiling and won't let him see my tears before he leaves.

"Hi, Yuna ah!" He appeared.

"You look so beautiful today! You really look like you're on a date." He teased.

"Can it be a date instead of appointment? Just today..." I asked. He was smiling at me before he replied. "I want it like this too." He replied as he took my left hand to hold.

When we got on train to visit Cherry blossom at Seoul Park, I laid on his shoulder and he didn't let go of my hand too. I don't know what we are doing but we just couldn't let go of each other.

 

We have arrived at the park but Jonghyun's facial expression seemed to change. He looked so pale and sick all of a sudden for no reason.

"What's wrong with you, Jonghyun?" I asked worryingly.

"Because I left the station so my power will lose little by little and....." he was hesitated to continue his speech.

"Then what? Tell me!" I insisted.

"I'll disappear any time soon, Yuna! I'll disappear before tomorrow because I choose to leave the station." He admitted.

"What? Why didn't you tell me since the beginning? Let's go back to the station! I want to see you longer." I burst out crying and grabbed his hand to go back inside the station.

"Yuna, I want to see Cherry blossom with you. I will leave anyway so let's make our promise to visit beautiful Cherry blossom together!" He said.

"Jonghyun...hik hik" I cried and hugged him.

"I want to spend our last time beautifully. Let's go Yuna! I don't have much time left." He cried too. I nodded then we went to a big Cherry tree and sat under it. He was laying on my laps as he was getting weaker and weaker.

 

"It's beautiful. Cherry blossom is so beautiful and my Yuna is beautiful too." He said with very unhealthy voice. I couldn't help but kept crying as I knew he's going to leave soon. Cherry blossom keep falling as they accompany us crying.

Suddenly he got up and suggested me. "Yuna ah, can you go to find me a paper and pencil for drawing?" He asked.

"What? Why? I don't wanna leave you even one second for now." I refused.

"I want to give you a present. I wanna draw you a picture. I'll be waiting until you comeback. I promise. I won't leave unless you comeback." He said.

"But hik hik... I'm afraid..." I cried in fear of losing him.

"I'll be waiting. Don't worry!" He tried to show me a smile even he became so powerless. I couldn't refuse his last wish so I ran to find it quickly for him.

But when I came back, he wasn't there. I started bawling alone.

"Jonghyun, you said you're not gonna leave me until I'm back. Why did you leave? Comeback, you have to comeback. You've not said goodbye to me yet. Why are you doing this to me? Kim Jonghyun, comeback! Hik hik" I was crying under Cherry tree alone for a while.

"Yuna ah!" Suddenly I heard his voice and turned to the direction and saw him. As soon as I saw him, I ran to hug him.

"Hik hik I thought you have gone already. Hik hik I'm so scared." I cried hugging him tightly.

"I promised not to leave before you comeback. Stupid kid, stop crying!" He patted my head again.

"Hik hik how am I gonna lose you? How am I gonna live without you when I'm so scared of losing you like this?" I kept crying and became shaking with fear all over my body.

"I'm not leaving you forever. I'll remember you and come to see you one day even I reborn. I promise!" He said. "For now, let's sit down and let me draw you!" He said and started drawing my picture.

I kept crying as I could see him became so powerless but he refused to take rest until he finished drawing my picture.

"I've finished it but don't open it yet! Open it after I leave." He suggested. I nodded and he kept it under the Cherry blossom tree. He walked to me and about to fall down. I ran quickly to catch him in time.

"I think it's time now, Yuna. I'm leaving." He said as his tears started to fall too.

"Jonghyun ah, I've been so happy to be with you. I'm glad that I was born to meet you." I told him what I have kept inside my heart.

"So, do I! I'm happy so much for this one month. I'm happy I could meet you. Please take care and live well! I'm leaving... Goodbye" He said as he was about to disappear.

"Jonghyun, I love you." I confessed and quickly kissed his lips before he disappeared like a wind. He returned the kiss and hugged me. Under Cherry blossom tree, I got a warm kiss by Jonghyun but not so long I could feel that it was nothing I'm kissing and hugging. When I opened my eyes, he has gone. My legs couldn't carry me anymore so I sat on the ground and cried painfully alone. I can say that I could die of crying too much any time.

After crying for a while, I gathered my power and walked to take the drawing that Jonghyun has drew before he left. The drawing of me was so beautiful and lively. He changed my real crying face to smiling face inside his drawing and left some words that made me could cry out a river.

"I HAVE LOVED YOU. LET'S MEET AGAIN ON A WARM SPRING DAY! YUNA AH, I LOVE YOU."

he wrote this below the picture. I was so glad that he loves me back. I kept laying under Cherry blossom tree, holding his drawing and cry.

"You left me on a warm spring day, Jonghyun ah".

-----

~6 years later~

 

It has been 6 years already since Jonghyun left me. I also graduated from university and returned back home to work in my hometown, Busan. However, every year I always find a very warm spring day to come to Seoul and visit the park I went to visit with Jonghyun 6 years ago even though I won't see him anymore.

 

Today I went there again and every time I'm here I will sit under that Cherry blossom tree and cry because no matter how many years it has passed, I still miss and remember him. I don't even date anyone yet because I still love Jonghyun. Now I'm sitting alone and crying under Cherry blossom tree. I'm crying too hard as today I feel miss him so much.

Suddenly there is someone came to me and patted my head. I looked up and saw a little kid was smiling at me.

"Don't cry!" He said with smile.

"Thank you! Sister is fine." I replied and gave that little kid a smile back.

Then there was a tall, handsome man came. "Jonghyun ah, let's go! Your parents are looking for you." That man called the little kid and walk to us.

"Ah I'm sorry. Has he disturbed you? He's my nephew. I'm sorry instead of him." That man said and bowed to me.

"No he hasn't done anything to me. Don't worry!" I replied and kept looking at that little kid because his name is Jonghyun too and the way he patted my head and smiled at me were just like Jonghyun.

"Minhyun-uncle, can you take me to this park in spring every year?" The little kid asked his uncle.

"Sure, if you behave a good kid." That tall, handsome man patted his nephew's head then they left me.

Suddenly that little kid turned back to look at me and shouted "Let's meet again on a warm spring day!"

I became so shocked and emotional at the same time to hear this.

"Jonghyun..." I burst out crying again.

"Let's meet again on a warm spring day, Jonghyun-ah!" I whispered to myself as I was watching the little kid leave.

 

« LET'S MEET AGAIN ON A WARM SPRING DAY ..... »

 

702cf6e7ffe16c4a986e3495e9079e7c.jpg

~ The End ~