Chapter 3

Beneath A Pasted Smile

Chapter 3

[Flashback]

A few months ago, right after the final before a spring break, some of the students were spotted at loud club to release the stress, while some of them might just had chill with small drink party at room or there’s also some circle of friends decided to overnight in tiny tent with a bonfire at certain hideous spot. Dance, small talks, laugh and cry together in a space which none of them had any idea of future waiting ahead. Not like no one care but time with friends sometimes would make you forgot about the tension with papers and heartbreaks on past days. Believe or not it could be the best out of the best or the worst out of the worst memory ever for every single choice they made.

 

Surround the night bonfire, Chorong, Bomi, Eunji, Jieun, Moonbyul and Solar sat on each of the chopped woody trunk next to each other. Hands clasped, heads buried in their own padding, eyes were on the light bonfire and none of them tried to break the silent for a moment for a God sake. The three small tents were located not far behind them. As what they agreed before they reached the peak of this small mountain in the late evening, they had to play rock, paper and scissors to choose the partner to sleep with tonight. Logically thinking, it should not be that way since everyone knew Chorong and Eunji just broken up two days ago.

 

“So everyone ready?” Bomi started. Everyone nodded lightly.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”Bomi shouted.

“Yeayyy!!!”Moonbyul and Solar shouted as they the only pair threw out the rock together.

 

The tensed is double increased. Four of them were focused on the game back.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”Bomi shouted again.

“Damn!” Bomi cursed as she and Jieun threw the paper together and eventually Chorong and Eunji got paired by the God sake.

 

Chorong rolled her eyes toward giggle Bomi and gave a very sharp glare toward Moonbyul and Solar who still hug each other in the corner. Jieun put her hand on Eunji’s shoulder as to comfort down Eunji who had her eyes on the ground the whole time. Its not like Eunji hated the idea of sleeping together with Chorong as they had been roommate for almost a year and sleeping together in one bed or a very confined space  had not been much difficult than this way if only Chorong had not decided to end their relationship the days before.

 

“Good luck!” Moonbyul shouted as she went inside one tent with Solar by her shoulder.

“Hey…if you don’t feel comfortable…” Jieun tried to speak then Chorong cut her.

“No that’s ok.” Chorong stood up instantly and went inside another empty tent.

 

Jieun shook her head and quickly took her things and went inside another empty tent.

 

“Well…you know Chorong must have her own reason why she decided to break up.” Bomi said.

“Then why she’s lying?” Eunji looked down.

“Come on…you know her. She still love you Eunji-ya” Bomi comforted her.

“I know she’s lying when she said she’s not into girls…after all of these…but I still don’t like the way she decided things her own way.” Eunji’s tears welled down her puffy cheeks.

“I know Chorong for a very long time. She had never been in love with someone like she’s been with you. You can see the happiness in her every time she’s with you. She had few girl crushes and fling during schools but none compared her love toward you Eunji-ya. You have to trust her. Give her some time.” One of Bomi’s hand rubbed Eunji’s back and the other hand wiped Eunji’s tears.

“But until when?” Eunji lip’s quivered.

“Until when she ready to tell you everything again…” Bomi assured her.

 

Bomi rose from her seat and went inside one the occupied tent and gave Eunji one last warm smile before left Eunji alone there. Eunji hated overthinking but she did. Few minutes after, she grabbed her things and went inside another occupied tent with a low sigh.

 

Chorong had herself slept in bundle and left empty small space for Eunji next to her. As soon as Eunji comforted herself in bundle too she lied down, suddenly brushed lightly her arm against Chorong’s back which then awaken light sleeper Chorong instantly. Now they were both lied on their back close next to each other. Eunji refrained herself from glance to her side and she knew really well that its freaking hard to do that when she could listen clearly Chorong’s breathing next to her close. Eunji had never wish morning to come early in her entire life or at least she could felt asleep as quick as she could but for God sake again Chorong had audacity to face her right now.

 

“Are you cold?” Chorong spoke with a very low voice that could give goosebumps to the other.

“Be straightforward, I know you wanna hug me right now?” Eunji said in her low voice too.

“Can i?” Chorong hesitated while she’s still faced Eunji.

“You always did what you want anyway…” Eunji words cut by the smooth peck on her cheeks.

“Kiss me back…like what you always did…”This time Chorong words cut by the wet lips on hers.

 

Eunji cupped Chorong’s face and deepened her kiss smoothly, melted by Chorong’s warm body against her. Not like her usual aggressive and tough way of kissing but Eunji made sure she tasted every corner of Chorong’s lips, slowly self-invited her tongue inside the cavern that made Chorong’s hug tighten on Eunji’s back and moaned between their lips. Eunji pulled away suddenly a little bit too early for Chorong to breathe normally with both of them panted heavily tried to catch breathe. Faced dangerously closed to each other, Eunji pecked one last smooth kiss on Chorong’s still wet lips. Her deep brown eyes went down on Chorong’s fine jaw, irresistible neck down to her y collarbone.

 

“Eunji…” she called.

“urmmm…”

“I’m sorry…” Chorong’s voice shook a little bit.

“For breaking up with me with an unrealistic reason or for kissing your ex in a tent?”

“Both...also for everything…”Chorong so close to tear.

“Define everything.”

 

This kind of silent treatment Eunji hated the most every time she wanted to know the answer from Chorong. Chorong couldn’t give her very exact answer to why they had to end. Its frustrated Eunji’s enough to hear Chorong’s unreasonable reason everytime.

 

Spring break ended. Its already a month from the day they started their new semester. Chorong as a last year student in department of higher education definitely much more busier than ever especially when her little sister, Hayoung joined in the campus this semester as a first year student in computer programming department. She relieved enough as her childhood friend, Yoon Bomi was always there to entertain her little sister. They were both annoying but Chorong loves them the most. Of course, Jeong Eunji was still first in her heart. Dated Eunji was the happiest moment ever she had. Eunji and Bomi literally a close friend since the first year when they met at the basketball court that day.

 

One fine day, Bomi found a way to steal the extra door’s key of the indoor basketball’s court in the morning on her couch’s desk. She patted herself for being this genius with this kind of silly thing on her way to the court. She passed the boys at the outdoor basketball’s court with a disguise look on her face. Since there’s no way she could joined the boys she had to put an extra effort to own the indoor’s court. She quicken her footsteps under the shadow light of the building before finally stopped herself in front of the half open door. She cursed herself as she saw the light was on and that’s probably someone already inside and her chanced might flew away already.

 

Bomi peeked her head a little bit inside to only see a small figure shoots free throw twice easily, bounced the ball and ran smoothly on the floor. This was her first time to watch someone this good or might be better than herself at basketball. The person with her ponytail had her sleeveless jersey on which showed off her fine arm muscle which then Bomi immediately stamped her as her rival. There’s two only option she had, either ran away from here and secretly put back the key on her couch’s desk or stepped her feet inside to befriend the person. The second option sounds like it couldn’t hurt her than the fact that she could never have a chance to own the court forever.

 

“Hi…”Bomi greeted the person shyly.

 

To Bomi surprise, the person quickly threw away the ball and grabbed the mop nearby and smiled.

 

“Oh…hi..hi…I almost finish clean the court.”The person scratched her head and grinned at Bomi.

“Are you a first year student?” Bomi refrained herself not to laugh and started to act.

“Yes…yes…I actually asked couch’s permission to clean this court tonight.”  

“Ah…actually I see you playing just now. Do you know its prohibited for every student right? Urmmm if I ever telling couch you will be end. He had no mercy and scary as hell.” Bomi jerked at her.

“No…no no please keep it a secret. Don’t tell him. I admit my wrong I did it few times I lied to couch because I wanna practice by myself here since the outdoor one had been used by guys. Please please don’t tell the couch. I know its wrong.” The person on her knees already. Bomi had to continue her act anyway.
“Well…I cant help you. Its your fault and don’t thinks it matter to you if only few points being deducted from your final.” Bomi acted.

“No..no no its matter to me. I had to graduated law here.” The person reached Bomi’s leg and begged repeatedly.

“Oh…so you are a law student? And…you are breaking the law?” Bomi laughed hysterically made the other person near to cry.

“Alright…with one condition!” Bomi shouted with her point finger shoot in the air like she owned the world already.

“What is it?” The person sound desperate and Bomi already enjoyed this.

“Fight me. If you win by points I wont tell the couch.” Bomi stared at the person in front of her who instantly stood up and faced her.
“Okay…but…but what if I lose? Do you still telling the couch?” The person asked in her nervous voice.

“Depends on my kindness.” Bomi shoot.

 

After half an hour, they decided to take a break with Bomi lose behind a few points.

 

“Seems like you aint new to this.” Bomi wiped her sweats on her forehead.

“Have we discussed the punishment for the loser yet?” The person sudden braveness scared Bomi.

“What makes you so confident?” Bomi blurted.

“You have to be my friend…be my friend if you lose!” The person shouted.

“Woow woow woow don’t be like that we don’t know yet who will received the punishment and i’m not planning to befriend you either.”Bomi giggled.

“Looks like we are already in punishment.” The person stood up and continued the game.

“What department are you from?”

“Business” Bomi answered short.

“You know what…” They face each other while the ball was still in the other person’s hand ready to shoot.

“What?” Bomi asked with a curious face.

“If I score this I won…” The person smirked.

“Why?” Bomi tried to steal the ball from her hands.

“Because I know who you are…” She smiled brightly and shoot her ball directly onto the net.

“Heyyy…this is unfair. You distracted me.” Bomi sighed and plopped herself on the floor defeated.

“Did you think nobody watch your youtube channel and you know what, I have a hard time to recognize you with your excellence acting. Hell yeah…by the way I’m Jeong Eunji.” Eunji laughed.

“Oh my God, I’m Yoon Bomi.!” They laughed together and continued played until the late night.

 

Not long after Bomi introduced Chorong to Eunji as her childhood friend, later that she knew they had already fallen in love with each other. Eunji first told her that she had a crush on Chorong and with her help she purposely exchanged Chorong’s roommate with Eunji. She had not known Eunji for long to sacrifice her childhood friend but enough for her to tell Eunji was so sincere this time. A few weeks after they lived as a roommate, Chorong told Bomi that she actually liked Eunji since the first time she saw Eunji played the basketball in that court while waited for Bomi . Bomi had never seen Chorong fall in love this hard since school then she knew both of them really were in love.

 

There were several time Chorong cried on her shoulders when she fought with Eunji but few days after Bomi found them being a lovey dovey again. Sometimes Eunji would do something stupid like sleeping on Jieun’s without informed Chorong, hit a night club till late midnight, drunken and carried to her dorm with y lads in town just to make Chorong furious more OR even worst nightover at random friends and skipped the class few times without even replied to any Chorong’s text. Magically anything worse than this, Chorong still believed Eunji more than anyone, cared Eunji more than anything precious and even loved her more than herself.

 

Before the final, Chorong started to change. Eunji noticed that and she started to change her bad habit too, not drinking too much and always back to dorm on time before the curfew except for the weekend also always replied to Chorong text and sometimes she’s the one texted Chorong first. But nothing could change the fact that Chorong didn’t do the morning kiss anymore, lunch herself, didn’t wait for her at night, they started to have less skinship, texted her less, hug her less and talked lesser than usual. Chorong quiet most of the time, answered Eunji’s question shorts and most likely slept first and Eunji always woke up to empty bed Chorong in the morning.

 

Eunji tried to not question much as she thought Chorong was testing her and she believed if she managed to change herself better, Chorong will eventually acted like usual again. Finals separated them in a way Eunji stayed in library most of the times while Chorong either in her room or the Hook’s Café, 2nd floor and last row, her favorite spot. Not like each of them didn’t know where to find each other but the tension between the papers and heartbreaks were higher than anything that they both decided to pretend like nothing happened. Until after Eunji last paper that day, Chorong called her to meet her in a club. That gay club that Eunji frequently visit.

 

“Are you sure you wanna go there?” Bomi asked Chorong for a thousand times already. Not only her, Moonbyul and Solar at her sides were still in disbelief that Chorong the one who never stepped her foot in a club for once wanted to go there. And even a gay club.

“You know what if she found Eunji kisses anyone here its Eunji’s dead.”Moonbyul whispered to Bomi’s ears and grabbed Solar’s hand walked inside.

“I pray GOD on Eunji’s side.”Solar added.

“If you suddenly don’t feel comfortable tell me, I know you aint used to that tight dress.” Bomi concerned.

“Don’t worry I just wanna had a drink and meet Eunji here.”Chorong reassured and took a quick glance while she passed the y bartender who entertained the girls.

 

Not long after, Eunji walked in. She wore her casual white tee and black tight ripped jeans with one of her hand hold her leather jacket and the other one with a drink. Not that difficult to find someone she love even in a crowd, from far she could see her love shining in a black tight dress with another black crop top hiding her shoulders and she quickly made her way toward her. Smiled as bright as sunshine, Eunji grabbed another drink she requested while passed the bar counter and came over next to Chorong’s seat. Chorong look nervous as she found Eunji came nearer as she requested her friends to ditch her for a while as she wanted to talk to Eunji only.

 

“What a rare to see you here babe.”Eunji started.

“Eunji…” Chorong called with her eyes still fixed on Eunji.

“Yes dear.” Eunji stared at Chorong deeply before the moment quickly cut by someone.

“Oh my god look who are here?”Someone came toward them and hug Eunji tightly.

“I thought I will never see you again after school days. Do you remember me?” The person asked.

“Hell yeah…of course I know you…and you too..”Eunji hug another person next to the other person.

“Well and this is our friend, she’s been here regulars and she the one who showed me your presence here otherwise we could never meet you here in this crowd.” Eunji’s friend stated.

“Today was crazy.” Eunji spoke in a lowder tone as the music started played louder.

“Now tell me who’s the cute lads you had your smile for this entire time?”Her friend smirked at her.

“Oh she’s my girlfriend,Chorong.” Eunji introduced Chorong who already started to feel uncomfortable with the loud and mess.

“Oh hi…”Chorong greeted them in her seat.

“Hi,well...Eunji is lucky to have you. Its look like you hit a jackpot Eunji-ya.” Her friends laughed.

“I’m not that bad either.”Eunji backed up herself.

 

Now that her friends left her and Eunji only that she managed to say it finally.
 

“Eunji…”She called Eunji again.

“Let’s break up.” Chorong said as clear as if Eunji’s heart will not broke up in a second.

“Chorong…”

“Yes let’s break up Eunji…”

 

 


 

 

I hope you like the chapter 3 as well. Feel free to comment and enjoy :)