9 - vet.

come here, little puppy.

 

Joohyun was sleeping another day away, unaware of the non-stop pacing and muffled discussion that was going on right beneath her.
 

“No Yerim, that’s dumb.”
 

Sooyoung waved the younger vampiress off mid-sentence, taking another thoughtful sip of crimson.
 

“Ugh, fine then you come up with something better!” Yerim huffed in frustration, “I’ve given you like five ideas!”
 

All she got was an eye roll.
 

“Yeah, but they all boil down to ’get Wannie back’, and we know that! That’s literally what we’re trying to figure out! Duh! Oh my gosh, I love you b-”
 

But Seulgi cut her off before she could proceed.
 

“Guys stop, this isn’t helping,” she craned her neck and pinched her nose bridge with an exasperated thumb and forefinger, returning to the issue at hand, “we don’t know much about Wannie, only Joohyun unnie does.”
 

“Yeah, and good luck getting her to talk about it,” the tallest scoffed, wrapping a consoling arm around the youngest, who just leaned into her shoulder and stared at the floor.
 

“All she wants to do is sleep and think about Wannie.”
 

“I don’t blame her, but at this rate, she’s getting dangerously close to needing in-patient care,” Seulgi thought out loud, shaking her head at the others, “I mean she’s been eating better since she’s been here, but I’m sure she’s just doing it for us. And that’s not enough.”
 

They all knew she was right. Joohyun loved them, so she ate for them. But they needed her to do it for herself. And for Seungwan… they were sure the girl wouldn’t have wanted to see the vampiress waste away like this. In-patient treatment was laughable, quite frankly. With the history of vampires and their relatively uncomplicated lives, there wasn’t really any need for healthcare per se. They didn’t get sick like humans did, no ailments or disease, and definitely no heart complications. So any sort of medical intervention was simply wishful thinking.
 

They wouldn’t know where to start with Joohyun’s broken heart.
 

Yerim cocked an eyebrow at Seulgi’s despair, “Isn’t there a hospital for vampires? I mean there should be… humans have em and vets are a thing. It’s not fair, remember that time Joohyun rushed Wannie to the vet’s in the middle of the night just because she had a stomach ache? Just because we’re vampires doesn’t mean we can’t-”
 

The noticeable shift in Seulgi’s eyes caused Yerim to flinch, choking back on the rest of her thought.
 

She looked slightly mad.
 

“Unnie?” Sooyoung squeezed the young girl a little tighter, equally as confused, “Um… you’re scaring us, what is it?”
 

Seulgi had stopped listening to Yerim’s rambles at ‘vet’. She reached out and all but grabbed the girl by the shoulders, shaking her lightly and making her freeze up.
 

“Kim Ye-rim, you bloody. Ge-ni-us, you. Oh, I could kiss you!”
 

The girl just turned to look at Sooyoung, wondering what on earth she could’ve said the excited her Seulgi unnie so much. She was just about to open to ask, but Seulgi suddenly let go, throwing her hands above her head. She rounded the corner to rummage through the bowl of keys at the front door, leaving the two younger vampiresses gob-smacked.
 

In less than a second, Seulgi was hurriedly ushering them out the door, ignorant to the slew of questions and protests.
 

“Unnie, you wanna tell us what the heck is going on?” Sooyoung gasped out, putting her seatbelt on and already breathless from having to move so fast so early in the morning.
 

Seulgi smiled widely at the two girls, a hopeful glint in her bright eyes.
 

“We’re going to the vet.”
 

“Joohyun unnie needs in-patient care… what’s the vet gonna do to her.”
 

Oh my god, Yerimie, Seulgi’s eyes rolled to the heavens as she pulled out the driveway with two slightly grumpy vampiresses in tow.
 


 

The timid girl at reception appeared rather flustered at the grand entrance the three vampiresses made, turning the heads of every person and animal sitting in the waiting room. They were well aware how ridiculous they looked; still in their pyjamas, fluffy house slippers and bed hair.
 

Cardio wasn’t any of their strong points, and all three had already depleted a good 90% of their energy whooping with excitement and agreement in the car after Seulgi had explained why she was driving them there.
 

“Joo-hyuh-hyun… Suh-Seungwan,” a panting Seulgi muttered to the receptionist, who was standing, pretty much pressed up into the glass to try to make sense of what she was hearing.
 

“I’m sorry, could you please repeat th-?” she asked, pen at the ready.
 

“She said Joohyun and Seungwan. Can we see your records on Seungwan, please,” Sooyoung interjected, not forgetting her manners despite her instincts screaming at her to just ransack the file cabinet herself.
 

The girl behind the counter visibly hesitated before glancing back up at the three strange ladies on the other side of the glass. She began anxiously fiddling with the pen as she tried to explain their policies.  
 

“Um… I’m uh, I’m afraid we can’t disclose personal records to just anyone. Are you, perhaps friends or relatives?”
 

“Yes we’re her friends, please, her hybrid is missing and she’s so sad she won’t eat anymore…”
 

Yerim was babbling her feelings again, her voice a mixture of frustration and desperation at the fact that they weren’t getting anywhere. Seulgi shot her an apologetic look and took the upset girl in her arms, rubbing her back comfortingly. The receptionist stood, dumbfounded, patiently waiting for the rambling to die down.
 

She did feel sorry at hearing this young girl pour her heart out like this, yet remained adamant.
 

“Look, I’m really sorry to hear about your friend, but unfortunately out protocol doesn’t allow us to release any information without some sort of ident-”
 

And that’s as far as she got.
 

Sooyoung had had just about enough of this useless chit chat. With an angry grunt, she shoved the other two vampiresses out the way and leaned in so close the girl behind the glass found herself recoiling a little.
 

“No, you listen,” her steely tone left no room for negotiation, as she tactfully bared her fangs, making sure the girl got a good, long stare. She smirked when she saw the girl flinch and begin to shiver at the sight, impulsively flinging the pen into the air so it fell back down with an obnoxious clatter.
 

“You’re going to give us that file, we’re going to have a nice little look at it, and then we’ll be on our way. Okay?”
 

The discreet threat was enough to send the terrified girl into a frenzy. Shaky fingers adjusted spectacles which had slid down her nose in the haste of racking every file cabinet she laid hands on in search for what was suddenly the most important record she’d ever filed in her entire life.
 

Sooyoung, utterly pleased with herself, turned to face Seulgi with the most triumphantly smug grin on her face. But frowned when the older vampiress gave her a ‘tell-me-you-didn’t-just-do-that’ look. Oh, because she used her fangs? Jeez, sometimes kindness made things move far too slowly. An annoyed Sooyoung mouthed a quick, ‘what? Worked didn’t it?’ before snapping back around to face a thin folder held through the small gap in the glass.
 

“Thank you,” she said in an exaggerated show of politeness, promptly plucking it out of trembling fingers.
 

Three pairs of eager eyes scanned the contents of the folder at a million miles a minute.
 

They just needed those words.
 

Sooyoung yelped and Seulgi jumped, holding a hand to the flat ringing in her ear where Yerim had just screamed into it.
 

“I got it, I got it! Look, look!”
 

It was as much as they could do to contain their rejoicing within themselves.
 

Those two, undoubtedly, life-saving words.
 

Hybrid microchip.
 


 

“Alright, you got the tracking number?”
 

Seulgi briskly nodded, fumbling around with the app she’d just installed.
 

Normal pet microchips weren’t paired with tracking devices, but it was very different when it came to hybrids. A special and much needed technology had been furthered successfully so hybrid owners could keep track of their pets’ whereabouts at all times to ensure their safety. A handful of unfortunate cases of hybrid kidnapping sparked the development of the tracking chips, and it had now become routine at every initial check-up for the veterinarian to inject the minuscule device just under the skin of the arm.
 

“Wow, no offense but Joohyun unnie’s dumb as heck… she could’ve just tracked her instantly. She's gonna flip a brick when we tell her about this.”
 

Seulgi and Sooyoung chuckled when they saw Yerim’s smiling eyes. The older vampiresses knew the situation ran far deeper than simply tracking Seungwan and forcing her to come home, but they said nothing, finding this newfound hope and happiness rather pleasant.
 

“Okay,” Seulgi motioned for the other two, who immediately huddled around the bright LED screen, “moment of truth.”
 

A steady click of the big green button sent a map with an aerial layout of their town.
 

The three girls cocked perplexed heads and squinted at the confusing red pin plopped right at the edge.
 

The opposite side of town.
 

That was odd… and frankly starting to get a little worrying.
 

Seulgi looked at Sooyoung, then at Yerim.
 

They knew what they had to do.
 


 

Joohyun was jolted out of the nightmares she’d gotten used to falling victim to every night by soft but firm knocking.
 

She cracked a heavy eye open as the door did.
 

“Um, unnie…”

...

..

.

haha small filler. you guys voted for angst to fluff so there was no way this story ends there. no angst for puppy wan and vampire hyun, okay? there's just no such thing. also lol get ready for more cheesy coincidences, because it's about to get fluffy af up in this binch.