CHAPTER 17

Blending In

After leaving Minju’s apartment last night, Hyewon went straight to hers. She knows that she does not have any right to feel sad, but seeing Taeyong calling Minju at night just irks her.

Though the girl already said that she rejected him, Hyewon is still bothered by the fact that Taeyong is still pursuing Minju. But she could not blame the guy, Minju’s really just that girl. But I’m not that thick-skinned.

She was suddenly stressed and so, she immediately went to her room after washing up. Grabbing a hair tie and walking over to a new blank canvas. It’s kind of funny that it has been so long since Hyewon painted, but after meeting Minju, painting just became her routine.

Which is how Hyewon woke up, with paint stains on her shirt. Again. Standing up from her bed, she glanced at her new piece. Sighing, sometimes she thinks she’s been painting Minju too much that she could not any other thing anymore.

Walking out of her room, she was about to go to her bathroom when someone knocked on the door. Who would even?

Opening her door, a grinning Yujin greeted her. Of course.

“Hey, unnie!” Yujin smiles, “Good morning!”

“What are you doing here?”

“Yes, thank you for inviting me in.” Yujin exclaimed pushing past the older girl.

“Hey, Ahn Yujin!” Hyewon exclaimed following the younger girl to her living room.

“I just wanted to check on you, unnie.” Yujin rolled her eyes, throwing herself on Hyewon’s couch.

“And it seems like you didn’t sleep well.” Yujin added, looking at Hyewon’s appearance.

The older girl blushed knowing that she looks like hell at that moment.

“I just woke up.” She retorted weakly.

“I wonder why...” Yujin said in a teasing tone, “Anyway, go take a shower. Let’s walk to class together.”

“It’s still early?” Hyewon looks at the girl weirdly.

Scoffing, Yujin sat up, “Unnie it’s 9:10 already, so you better hurry up.”

Oh, . Hyewon looked at the girl with wide eyes and not wasting any second, she quickly went to her bathroom to take a quick shower.

Yujin sat up from the couch and looked around the apartment. Nothing much has changed, still the messy minimalist Hyewon. She walks around for a few minutes, until she got bored.

She decided to enter the older girl’s room, to look for something to do. Oh, wow. Unnie is still me –

Yujin stopped in her tracks when her eyes saw opened paints and stained brushes. She walks over near the bed and saw the new pieces Hyewon has painted.

“Woah.” She whispered.

“Yujin.”

Turning around quickly, she saw the older girl standing with wet hair. Hyewon’s gaze flitting to the younger girl and to the easel.

“Unnie,” Yujin stuttered, “You really – “

“I’m going to change.” Hyewon stated, “Let’s talk about it after.”

The younger girl nodded and walked away from the canvas, glancing at the older girl who has her back turned around and then to the painting.

 

//

 

“Unnie, you painted her.” Yujin breathed out.

“That’s obvious.” Hyewon rolled her eyes.

“I mean, you painted her!” Yujin repeated, “A couple of times!”

“Can you tone it down?” Hyewon hissed as she walked over to the kitchen getting a glass of water. The younger girl is riling her up early in the morning.

Yujin just groaned out and followed the older girl, grabbing a snack on the table. “Unnie! You’re so in love!”

“Yujin!”

“What I’m ju – “

A knock was heard. The two girls stared at each other, confused.

“Did you invite the other two?” Hyewon asks and walked over to the door.

“No,” Yujin trailed off, “But it’s already 9:30, we sho – “

“Minju!” Hyewon said surprised.

The English major smiled and was about to greet Hyewon when she noticed another figure behind the girl.

“Hey, good morning.”

“Minju-unnie!” Yujin grinned pushing Hyewon out of the way. “We’re about to go to class!”

“What?” Hyewon asked, weirdly looking at the younger girl.

“It’s 9:30 already unnie.” Yujin deadpanned, holding out the older girl’s bag. “Now, let’s walk together, alright?”

Smirking at the older girl, she pulled Hyewon by her neck and Minju by her arm not wanting any protests from the former. This is going to be fun.

 

//

 

Knowing that Yujin knows Hyewon’s feelings for Minju, the older art student expects the younger girl to somehow do this kind of thing sooner or later. Since her friends always wanted to give what they all call a ‘shovel’ talk.

It would have been fine for Hyewon, it’s no problem for her if Yujin is not being ridiculously obvious. The younger girl has been asking weird things to Minju, and Hyewon could only pray to God that the former would not think of something weird.

Hyewon knows that Yujin is a hyper girl, and is excited to meet Minju, but the thing is, she’s so embarrassing right at this moment that Hyewon just wants to slap her to sleep.

She is so being obvious, that a blind person could see that she’s interrogating Minju.

“Minju-unnie,” Yujin started grinning, “You’re an English major, right?”

“Yeah.” Minju nodded with a small smile on her face.

“English majors are really good-looking,” Yujin suddenly said, “Don’t you think so, Hyewon-unnie?”

And for the love of all gods, she wanted to smack the younger girl. Gulping, Hyewon croaked out a ‘yeah’ to the both of them.

“Yujin, I think,” Hyewon was about to tell the girl to stop whatever she’s planning, but then she heard a giggle from Minju. She finds this funny?

“So, unnie,” Yujin cuts her off, her attention to Minju, “What’s your type?”

“Huh?”

“Ahn Yujin!” Hyewon hissed. She then turned to look at Minju to apologize, “Sorry, don’t mind her. She’s always weird in the mornings!”

Mnju just laughs at the two, making Hyewon and Yujin look at her. “I’m sorry,” She laughs. “I don’t have a type.”

“Oh, really?” Yujin perks up, interested with the answer. “No type at all?”

“Nope.” Minju smiles and continues walking with them.

I’m going to murder this kid. Hyewon thought evilly as she glares at Yujin who is ignoring her.

“What if,” Yujin trails off, “Someone who’s observing you from afar suddenly confess to you?”

Hyewon choked on air with the question, nudging the younger girl. Minju looks at Yujin weirdly then at Hyewon.

“That would be weird.” She quietly answers.

“Really?” Yujin pouted and glanced at Hyewon beside her, “Bummer Kwangbae.” She whispered.

“Shut. It.” Hyewon glared.

The younger girl just rolled her eyes, “Have you seen unnie’s artworks?” She decided to ask.

And Hyewon knows that Yujin already knows the answer. After all, she already told them the story about the moving thing. She’s sure that the younger girl just wants to .

Minju beams at the question and nodded, “I only saw one. She gave me one of her sketches. The tulips one.”

“Oh,” Yujin raised her eyebrows, surprised, “She gave you one?”

“Yeah, it was so beautiful!”

“Interesting,” Hyewon hopes that Yujin would not elaborate, but of course she would.

“She doesn’t just give anyone her sketches.” Yujin smirks, “You must be special then, Minju-unnie.”

“Alright! We have to go now Minju. Class is about to start!” Hyewon exclaimed pulling Yujin away from the stunned girl. “See you later, Minju! Take care!”

“Yeah, take care.” Minju said quietly, blushing from what Yujin just said. You must be special then.

 

///

 

“What the hell was that, Ahn Yujin?” Hyewon harshly said as she sat down on her chair.

Yujin shrugs and followed suit, “I just wanted to get to know her.”

“By telling s?”

“By asking things.” The younger girl replied with a smile, completely unbothered by the annoyed Hyewon.

“Seriously, if you do – “

“Be thankful that I was the one who did that,” Yujin cuts her off, “We both know that Kura-unnie and Yena-unnie would do something worse than that.”

“I – “ Hyewon breathes out. The girl has a point. “Whatever.”

“You’re welcome,” Yujin said in a sing-song voice, “I approve of her by the way.”

Hyewon groans as the younger girl just laughs. A few minutes then the instructor entered the room, indicating the discussion would start.

Yujin immediately let out a yawn and smiled at Hyewon, trusting the older girl to wake her up after the class. Hyewon just rolls her eyes, pulling out her notes but not planning to listen. Instead, she knows that she’ll just sketch the way out of this class. I’m not in the mood.

 

//

 

It was time for Ms. Kang’s class when Hyewon saw her best friend already there inside the room. The latter pulled out a seat beside Chaewon and greeted her.

“Where were you?” Chaewon asks her.

“I was just at the library,” Earning a curious look, she further explained. “I around 10, I walked with Hyewon.”

“Oh, Hyewon,” Chaewon smirked, “How is it going with her?”

“There’s nothing going on.” Minju rolls her eyes.

“Oh, let me rephrase that,” Chaewon chuckles, “How’s your feelings for her going?” She teased.

“Shut up,” The girl groans, “I don’t even know what to do.”

“You’re so boring.”

“I’m just careful.” Minju corrects her, “I’m not even sure about these feelings.” She frowns.

“Oh, yeah you’re not boring,” Chaewon scoffs, “You’re in denial.”

“I am not!”

“That’s what all in denial people would say.”

Then Ms. Kang enters the room, making the both of them drop the subject, much to Minju’s dismay.

“You owe by the way,” Chaewon whispers, “Taeyong ing called me because you didn’t answer your phone.”

“Oh, please don’t start.”

“For a person unsure of her feelings, you’re so adamant on rejecting him.”

Then the class starts, with Minju trying to focus on the lesson and at the same time think about a certain art student and her feelings for the latter.

 

//

 

Minju is pulled out from her thoughts when she felt Chaewon nudging her, and nodding in front to indicate that she should listen.

“I have an announcement,” Ms. Kang smiles, “This could be an additional credit if you can do it. It would be easy, I promise.”

Obviously, that piqued everyone’s interests. Including Minju and Chaewon’s, it’s not everyday an instructor would be this generous.

“As you all know, I am part of the Arts department and I mostly handle art students, right?”

Series of nods were seen, and Chaewon glances at Minju who is obviously listening since she heard the word ‘art’. And she said she’s not sure.

“Well, we are having an exhibit this coming Monday. This is for their final project,” Ms. Kang explained, “If you have time, please come by the exhibit. I promise additional credit.”

“Do we have to do something?” A random student asks, “An essay or what?” Hearing her question, students groan out hoping that their instructor would not let them do something like that.

“No,” The older woman smiles as she shakes her head, “But maybe a picture of your favorite piece? As a proof that you did attend the exhibit.”

Everyone inside the class cheered for the announcement. Minju just stares at her instructor, while Chaewon looks at her.

“Hey, you good?”

“Yeah, yeah.” The girl answered, “Just thinking.”

 

///

 

“God, I don’t ever want to take another History class.” Yujin rants out.

“You’re complaining as if you’re listening.” Hyewon deadpanned, “It’s your sleeping time, be grateful.”

“Shut up, unnie,” The younger girl retorts, “You just sketch Minju-unnie anyway.”

“Hey!” Hyewon exclaimed, pulling the younger girl, “Keep it low, will you?”

“Nope.” Yujin teased, then ran inside the cafeteria when she saw her other two friends.

Hyewon just followed and sat down on their table, Sakura sliding a tray to her.

“Here, we already got you your lunch.” Sakura said, while munching on her own food.

“Thank you unnie!” Yujin answers for the both of them.

Lunch was peaceful for the four friends, Sakura and Yena sharing the things uneventful happening in their life. Yujin telling the two their boring class, until she transitioned on what happened that morning.

“Have you guys seen Hyewon-unnie’s painting?”

“Shut it, Ahn Yujin.” Hyewon hissed.

“Oh, we haven’t!” Sakura exclaimed.

“Have you?” Yena pouted as Yujin nodded.

“Earlier this morning,” Yujin smiled, “I checked on her, and we walked together.”

Hyewon can only just close her eyes and rub her face, she knows that she could not stop the younger girl into sharing whatever she wants to share. Especially since Sakura and Yena are both into it.

“Let me tell you,” Yujin exaggerates, “She is so whipped.” The younger girl smirks.

“, I wanna see it!” Yena exclaimed, looking at Hyewon pleadingly. The latter just ignored her.

“Come on, Kang-chan.” Sakura joined her friend.

“Yujin was snooping around, I never wanted her to see the painting.” Hyewon said, glaring at the younger girl.

“So, we’ll just snoop around too.” Yena smiled at her, proceeding to eat her lunch.

“Same.” Sakura said and chuckles.

“, I’ll take a picture later, alright?” Hyewon breaks, earning a grin from the two.

“You offered.” Sakura shrugged.

“No take backs!” The duckling said and laughs out lout.

 

//

 

After their very appetizing lunch, Hyewon decided to go straight home. She wants to get her much needed rest, she felt like she has not been getting much lately.

Arriving at her apartment, she quickly changed into much comfortable clothes and laid down on her bed. She waits for sleep to come into her, but few minutes passed and Hyewon is still wide awake.

Sitting up, she groaned out and started looking around – anything that she could do to pass time. She turned her head and contemplated if she should paint, but remembering that she’s been using almost all her paints every day she opted to just sketch.

Pulling out a sketchbook under her bed, because there’s no too much sketchbook for an art student – she flipped it open. Turning the pages, she stopped on an unfinished sketch of Minju that she did before.

Before she properly met the girl, when she was still sketching the girl creepily. Staring at it, Hyewon bit her lips and grabbed a pencil nearby. She decided to finish it.

Shading after shading, details after details, until she finished it. And just like that, she flipped on to a new page and started a new sketch. Minutes turned into hours, one sketch became three, until it became four.

Hours of sketching and Hyewon is still awake, not even tired a bit. She closed the sketchbook thinking that she had enough for the day, she grabbed her phone then. Index finger hovering over Minju’s contact, contemplating if she should text her. She has classes.

Biting her lips, Hyewon decided to just take a little risk. It’s just a message.

Hey

  • Hyewon

Not expecting a reply so soon, Hyewon was surprised to hear her phone chime a minute after. Quickly grabbing her phone, she saw Minju’s reply.

Hey 😊

  • Minju

Hyewon smiles, and decided to reply.

You have class, right?

  • Hyewon

I’m bored

  • Minju

What a coincidence, me too

  • Hyewon

You don’t have class?

  • Minju

Yeah, at my apartment. Killing boredom

  • Hyewon

You just text me when you’re bored? I’m offended

  • Minju

Hyewon stares at the message. Not knowing what to reply. Is she flirt – no, she’s just joking., right?

I text you when I want to.

  • Hyewon

So, you want to text me when you’re bored? :/

  • Minju

Hyewon quickly types a reply, and paused. Finger hovering at the Send button. Dignity be damned.

I want to text you every time, but you might get bored

  • Hyewon

//

Minju is currently in a boring class, waiting for the bell to ring which would indicate the end of this hell hole. She’s just mindlessly writing important notes on her notebook, when she felt her phone vibrate.

Hey

  • Hyewon

Minju smiles at the sender, looking up to check that the instructor is still busy she writes a reply.

Hey 😊

  • Minju

Putting her phone on her lap, she checks it to see a new reply already.

You have class, right?

  • Hyewon

I’m bored

  • Minju

What a coincidence, me too

  • Hyewon

You don’t have class?

  • Minju

Yeah, at my apartment. Killing boredom

  • Hyewon

So, maybe Minju wants to tease the girl a bit. She’s enjoying this and keeping her mind off from boredom. Hyewon is entertaining without even doing anything. And she wants to talk to the girl.

You just text me when you’re bored? I’m offended

  • Minju

I text you when I want to.

  • Hyewon

Smirking, Minju writes a reply rather too quickly.

I want to text you every time, but you might get bored

  • Hyewon

Minju stares at the reply, her heart skipping a beat. She quickly looked up when she heard her instructor’s voice getting loud. She could not help but to smile, looking down she writes a reply.

I won’t

  • Minju

And so, that’s how Minju kept herself entertained. Not bothering to take another note from their class, she and Hyewon keeps texting back and forth. Sometimes Minju would need to hold her laughter from Hyewon’s randomness. Sometimes, she would be surprised with the random facts that the girl knows.

Did you know a chef’s hat has 100 folds? And it all represents 100 ways of cooking eggs. EGGS!

  • Hyewon

That’s so random

  • Minju

My mind is a sponge of useless facts

  • Hyewon

And that what makes you interesting

  • Minju

Minju bits her lips, did she come out too strong?

You’re pretty interesting yourself Ms. Kim Minju

  • Hyewon

Hit me with another fact

  • Minju

Bibliosmia is the love of smell of old books. Or books in general.

  • Hyewon

Now, that’s something useful.

  • Minju

Until Hyewon stopped replying. Minju smiles at her phone, assuming that the other already fell asleep. After all, Hyewon said that she needs to rest but her mind is not letting her.

“Having fun?”

Minju looks at her best friend who is raising her eyebrows and smiling at her, “Yeah.”

She said and keeps her phone beside her. A few note takings were made until the bell rang, indicating the end of class. Minju puts her things inside her bag and stood up followed by Chaewon, who spotted someone outside the room.

“Taeyong is outside,” Chaewon said, not even hiding the annoyance in her voice, “Please, just slap him.”

Minju rolls her eyes and walked out of the room, and Taeyong smiling excitedly approach her.

“Minju!”

“Taeyong, hey.” Minju said, obviously not happy to see him.

“Are you free?”

“No, she’s not.” Chaewon answered for her.

“Oh, I was about to ask her for a date,” Taeyong said, completely unbothered by her. “Are you free tomorrow? Let’s have a date.”

“No, sorry Taeyong.” Minju said and tries to walk away.

“Oh, come on Minju!” Taeyong exclaims, and follows the two girls. “You always reject my offers!”

“Isn’t that obvious enough?” Chaewon said irritatedly.

“I’m not talking to you,” Taeyong replied and stopped in front of the two, “Seriously Minju, are you even straight?”

“Excuse me?” Minju breathed out, surprised by the sudden question.

“I mean, I’ve been courting you for so long now,” Taeyong frowned, “And it’s about time you accept me.”

“Oh, wow.” Chaewon butted in, “Maybe you’re not her type, did you ever think of that?”

“What? I’m everyone’s type.” Taeyong said cockily, “So, Minju are you straight or not? I mean, everyone wants to date me and –“

“I told you, Minju is not everyone!” Chaewon exclaims, now angry with how Taeyong is pressuring her best friend. It’s obvious that Minju is contemplating, especially now that she knows she’s confused. Don’t, please Minju.

Minju was just staring, not sure what to do. But Taeyong’s question keeps repeating in her mind. Are you even straight? Then what Chaewon said earlier.

“For a person unsure of her feelings, you’re so adamant on rejecting him.”

So maybe she was pressured, maybe she’s really unsure which is why she blurts out something unexpected.

“Friday, after class. 2 hours.” Minju said mindlessly.

“What?” Taeyong asks, not getting her.

Rolling her eyes, “Friday after class. It would end by 3, and you have 2 hours.” Minju said, and quickly walks away from the boy. Chaewon was surprised by what her best friend said and followed her.

“Why the hell did you do that?”

With that question, Minju started to regret her decision. She starts questioning herself why she accepted that, and could only muster a whisper of ‘I don’t know’.

“When I said you’re in denial, I didn’t tell you to be stupid.” Chaewon said strongly to the girl, “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

And then she left.

Minju gulps, breathing in and out slowly. Her best friend’s point dawning her. I just need to be sure right?

 

///

 

And so, maybe that’s how Minju saw herself still up until 10PM. Her mind not letting her sleep, with her feelings for an art student, to accepting Taeyong’s date. To everything.

Staring at the sketch that Hyewon gave her, she bit her lips. Until she grabbed her phone and sent a message to the girl, hoping for her to reply and at the same time not.

You still up?

  • Minju

Yeah, sorry. I fell asleep. Why any problem?

  • Hyewon

Minju blinked.

Is the 3AM deep talk offer still stands?

  • Minju

Tell me anything 😊

  • Hyewon

How can someone be confused and be sure at the same time?

  • Minju

Sometimes, fear becomes confusion for people.

  • Hyewon

Minju frowns, Hyewon really is full of surprises. She could be philosophical when she wants to.

What do you mean?

  • Minju

People fear truth, honesty. And that fear brings out confusion. Which is sad.

  • Hyewon

Why?

  • Minju

Because, why be afraid of something so honest?

  • Hyewon

That made Minju stop, and just stared at the message. Why be afraid of something so honest?

Hey, you still awake?

  • Hyewon

Shaking her head, Minju types quickly.

Yeah, sorry.

  • Minju

It’s alright, maybe you should go to sleep?

  • Hyewon

Ignoring the suggestion, Minju asks something.

Why do you do art?

  • Minju

I want to capture moments.

  • Hyewon

Why not photography?

  • Minju

I want to capture moments, incorporating my own emotions in it.

  • Hyewon

How would you paint me?

  • Minju

Black and white

  • Hyewon

Am I that boring?

  • Minju

Minju looks at her phone, waiting for a reply. She didn’t receive one for a few minutes thinking that the other girl fell asleep again. Until she heard her phone only to see a long message.

Because you have this confidence which black represents. It’s also could be connected to mystery. You’re kind of mysterious. Then at the same time, you emit this innocence. Mystery and innocence. It’s kind of a great combination, don’t you think? Everyone would love to know more about you, but you only let them at a certain distance.

  • Hyewon

Amazed. That’s what Minju felt reading Hyewon’s message. The art student may not have known her for long, but she almost got her right. And this scares her.

Would you?

  • Minju

Would you love to get to know me?

  • Minju

It would be an honor.

  • Hyewon

But you should sleep now Minju, it’s late. 3AM deep talk is now closed.

  • Hyewon

Minju smiles at that, not noticing the time.

Thank you. Good night Hyewon 😊

  • Minju

Sweet dreams Minju

  • Hyewon

Minju laid down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Turning her body, she tried to sleep, but regrets washed over her. Because she realized that maybe she did the biggest and stupidest thing in her life. Fear becomes confusion.

/

Hyewon closed her phone and put it away, staring at the ceiling as she lays down. She took a deep breath, thinking about the moments and talks she had with Minju. Maybe I should just confess.

And she sleeps with a smile on her face, with a single thought that maybe that slim chance she got is in her favor.