Chapter 7

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

 

“ Can I come in father?” Johnny asked from outside his dad's office in their house. He saw it was eleven in the morning on his phone and was confused about why his father wanted to see him so early in the morning. 

 

“Come in,” Johnny carefully stepped through the front door and walked up to his father’s desk. He didn’t sit down, as he learned the hard way to not do anything without his father’s permission. “Do you know why I called you in?” His father asked without looking up from the papers on his desk. He had a frown on his face and waited for his son to say something. 

 

“No father, I don’t.” He saw his father’s teeth clench and straightened his back quickly. His father looked up from the papers and threw it at Johnny’s face in anger and slammed his hands against his desk before standing up. 

 

“You messed up the calculations on the budget! Nothing makes sense on where your points are! If this is your idea of a project proposal then don’t bother trying to take over the company!” His father made a move to go around the desk and Johnny took a quick step back in fear, causing his dad to stop. “Did you just take a step back?! You messed up the papers and then got scared when I-” a knocking outside the office stopped his dad from his anger. “What?!” Johnny’s mom came in and saw the mess that was in the office. She sighed and looked at Johnny in disappointment before shaking her head and looked at his dad.

 

“I need Johnny for the rest of the day.” His mother didn’t bother to placate his dad as she didn’t care about what he was angry about. Their marriage was an arranged one but they never loved each other and never tried to make it work either. Johnny was mostly raised by the house staff and he considered them as his family compared to his parents. His father sighed before motioning for them to leave.

 

“Get your act together Johnny or I swear you will regret it.” There was a menacing tone in his father’s voice and he lowered his head.

 

“Yes father.” He turned and followed his mother out the door and reached their living room where a lady was sitting. The lady soon stood up and bowed towards the two and his mother motioned for her to sit down. 

 

“This is the groom, my son Johnny. Johnny, this is the wedding planner Kim Eunji and she came here to get an idea of what it is you're looking for in a wedding so she can start planning. Since we only have one month before the day we need to make sure that-”

 

“Wait, wait. One month? The wedding is in a month?” Johnny looked at his mother in horror and she returned the look with irritation.

 

“Don’t interrupt your mother John, it’s rude.” She scoffed and flipped her hair over her shoulder. 

 

“Mother, she asked for three months' time before the wedding day.”  

 

“And you agreed to it? Who said you can? The wedding will take place in a month and that’s final!” Johnny felt guilty. He wanted to make you comfortable with the new arrangements and now his mother is making it hard for him to do that. The wedding planner looked between the two people and felt awkward about the whole thing. His mother cleared and looked back at the planner with a forced smile. “Now where were we?”

 

“Uh, we were at….” Johnny tuned out the conversation and started to think about what was going to happen now. The week before the wedding is when his father would hand the company over to him, which would add on to the stress of the last minute planning for the wedding. He was also a bit scared to get married because he didn’t want to have a life where he would be arguing with his wife constantly like his parents. His father had grown up in a household where he would be punished for making even the smallest mistake, and he made sure that Johnny got the same treatment. His mother was barely around, only acting like a mother when there were guests to entertain. She lived in her own show and made sure her life was lavish enough to ignore her married life. She even made sure to let Johnny know that he was nothing but a burden on her and his father. He snapped out of his daze when he felt sharp nails sink into his leg. 

 

“What?” He looked at the wedding planner and ignored his mother. Eunji blinked before showing him the binder she was holding.

 

“I was asking if there was a certain color scheme you specifically wanted for the wedding.” Johnny looked at the binder in confusion and realized he doesn’t even know where to go with the information.

 

“I think my mother should choose, as she is more sensible when it comes to things like this.” He forced a smile and turned towards his mother, who was scowling at him, but quickly replaced it with a smile and looked back at Eunji.

 

“Ahh children, you know?” And Eunji laughed to cover up the awkwardness again. “Oh and Johnny I forgot to mention. There will be a party held the Saturday after this one to announce your engagement. “ His mother smiled at him but there was a Do not go against me or there will be hell! message hidden behind that smile. Johnny tried to hold back his sigh and nodded his head in submission. He felt suffocated from everything that had happened and wanted to get out of the house as quickly as possible. When he glanced at the huge clock that was hanging on the wall next to him, he saw that he had been with his mother for about an hour and a half. Eunji finally stood up and gave her hand to his mom and him to shake their hands. 

 

“I will come by again the day after tomorrow so I can finalize these points with the bride and her family.”

 

“Yes, we will be expecting your visit.” Johnny’s mother gave her the most fake smile he had seen, and he had seen a lot.  She walked Eunji to the door and gave her one last wave before she turned back towards Johnny, smile dropping. Johnny cleared his throat and opened his mouth to say something, but was given a chance to. “You are free to go do whatever you want. Just don’t do anything that will embarrass us.” She walked past him and disappeared behind the hallway near the living room. Johnny gave one last look to the clock before dashing up the stairs to his room. He made sure to close the door before pulling out his phone to call some friends.

 

“Ten, I need help. Can you get the guys to come meet up at the cafe we went to last week in an hour?” Johnny was pacing around his room grabbing his wallet and keys and doing a once over to make sure that he had everything before leaving the house. 

 

“Yeah sure. Are you ok though?” Johnny heard the concern in his friend’s voice and took a deep breath before answering. 

 

“I’ll tell you when we get to the cafe.” Johnny raced out of his room and quickly tried to leave the house before his parents could stop them. 

 

“Got it.” Johnny heard the click of his friend hanging up and quickly ran to his car and got in. His thoughts were all over the place and tried to organize it on the way to the cafe. The area was about thirty minutes away from him so he had time to control his thinking before seeing his friends. He started feeling the suffocation again from all of the things that had happened that day. His thoughts first wandered to his father and his anger. Johnny had checked the proposal multiple times to make sure everything was perfect and still didn’t understand where he had gone wrong. He felt fear of what his dad would have done to him before his mother had walked in and his hands tightened on the steering wheel. Later he would have to go get the proposal and see where he had gone wrong and fix it. 

 

Then his mother’s words to him about the whole marriage. No one cared about his input about the whole thing so he couldn’t understand why his mom would have him sit through the whole thing with the wedding planner. He rubbed his head and figured he would have to talk to Hana tonight to tell her about the change of plans. He hoped that at least she was getting the better end of the day then he was. He soon had arrived at the cafe and waited in his car for his friends to show up. He turned off his car and shut his eyes to figure out his bearings and calm himself down from his inner turmoil. About ten minutes later, he heard a knock on his window and looked out to see his friends looking at him with worry. He cursed to himself before getting out of the car and smiled, or attempted to smile. 

 

“Hey guys, sorry for the last minute call but I needed some advice.” Johnny was talking while trying to shut his car door and get out, but he didn’t realize his seat belt was still on and he got yanked back in. He yelled out a bit before looking at the belt and furiously tried to unbuckle himself. He tried to get out again and ended up hitting his head, which caused him to curse out loud and rubbed his head. The guys looked at each other and tried not to laugh at their friend’s misfortune. Johnny finally got out of his car and locked it before motioning for them to walk first into the cafe. They had ordered and sat at a table far away from prying eyes. 

 

“Ok, what's going on?” Mark had asked. He turned towards Ten before looking back at Johnny. 

 

“Yeah I don’t think I ever heard you so...freaked out before.” Ten commented. 

 

The three looked at Johnny and waited for his response to what was going on with him. Before he could say anything though, he saw his iced coffee get placed down next to him, and the rest get their coffees too. Once the barista was gone, Johnny just explained everything that had gone down with his parents that morning and how he felt useless and didn’t know what to do. Once he was done, the guys stayed quiet and thought about how to approach the situation at hand.

 

“I checked that information for you. I didn’t see a single mistake in any of the files and the proposal looked like it had excellent points.” Jaehyun raised his eyebrow before he started to drink his coffee in confusion.

 

“Wait, what budget was set? We never added a budget with your proposal because this was for the charity gala this weekend. We wouldn’t have a budget.” Mark looked beyond confused and the others' eyes widened.

 

“That wasn’t my proposal he was reading.” Johnny felt relief but that deflated once he realized this his father didn’t care about the proposal. He was just angry about the mistakes and needed to put the blame on someone. The others quickly realized it too and tried to find a new way to cheer their friend up.

 

“But don’t ignore the fact man. You won’t be a bachelor after a month.” Jaehyun teased Johnny to distract him, and he could feel that it was working because Johnny released a scoff and crossed his arms across his chest. 

 

“I feel bad for your fiance, honestly. She doesn’t know what she is getting herself into when she gets married to you. Does she know that you're a stay at home type of guy that hates going to socialite parties. The only reason you ever go is because we have to physically drag you there.” Mark caught on and tried his best at teasing his friend.

 

“You didn’t tell them who you were getting married to?” Ten raised his eyebrow at the giant and smirked when he noticed the guy looking away.

 

“What do you mean? Who is he getting married to?” Mark asked while leaning closer, Jaehyun included. Ten also leaned in and tried to say the name without laughing. 

 

“He’s getting married to Lee Hana, the younger sister of the Lee siblings.” The other two sat back in shock and looked at each other. 

 

“Dude, do you know who her brother is? I’m surprised you're still alive and haven't been ripped to shreds yet. I heard that when he was in high school, a student had made fun of Hana for the way she walked and he straight up beat the out of the kid.” Mark was slapping the table while laughing at Jaehyun’s comment.

 

“What about her sister? She’s one of the top lawyers of the country. If you make her sister cry, she will have you behind bars before you could blink and charge you with multiple cases of things you never even did.In fact, she was visiting her sister at her college and noticed a guy talking to her. She ended up filing a report against the guy and got him suspended because he made her cry. ” Mark just busted out into another round of laughter and Johnny kicked his chair, almost sending Mark to the floor. Johnny knew all about the siblings and what they would do to him once they met him. That was one of the reasons he was dreading this marriage. He valued his life and wasn’t expecting the grim reaper to come so soon. Once everyone had calmed down from the teasing and the laughing, Mark looked at Johnny in confusion.

 

“Not to sound rude, but why her? None of us know her and she never really associates herself with the rest of us. Ten told us you had the option to pick whoever you wanted. I thought for sure you would have picked Kim Ara. She had been pinning after you since you started college and I thought she was more of your type.” 

 

“Ara and I are just friends. I even made that clear for her when she asked me out the day  before she left for the states and she said she was ok with it.” Johnny shrugged his shoulders and looked away, missing the looks passed between the other three. 

 

“Ok, but Lee Hana? No one in our group likes her and thinks she’s stuck up. She never talked to us or looked like she wanted to.” Mark tried to ask again because he couldn’t understand and thought his friend could do better.

 

“Stuck up? I don’t think she’s stuck up. Whenever I saw her I thought she was uncomfortable. But we will have this Saturday to officially meet her.” Johnny hoped he was right about her. He really didn’t want to live like his parents. Soon his phone had buzzed and he saw it was her.

 

“Hey my dress color’s coral pink.” Johnny remembered he had to go shopping today for the tie and rubbed the back of his neck before sending a reply.

 

“Thanks! By the way, do you think we can talk tonight?” Johnny knew he needed to talk to her about everything that happened with the wedding planners today so she wouldn’t be caught by surprise tomorrow. 

 

“Sure.” He shut his phone off and looked at his friends, who were conversing with themselves and cleared his throat to get their attention.

 

“Do you guys know where I can get a coral pink tie?” Ten looked confused before recognition crossed his eyes and he started laughing hysterically. The last two looked between an irritated Johnny and a near crying while laughing Ten, and raised their eyebrows at each other.