셋.

I’m at your service m’lady

 

 

The morning was peaceful. Birds were chirping outside the opened window, small sounds of nature reaching the ears of two small children sleeping in the small duvet, cuddling closer to each other. The door of the room opened slowly and a young girl walked in. She made sure not to make any loud sounds that could wake the two up. She leaned closer, kissing both on their forehead whispering good morning to both. The girl left shortly after, leaving the small house, heading her way to the farm.

Today she was getting paid and she wanted to be there early so she could buy the medicine as fast as she could. A lot of kids were sick around this time every year, which made getting the right medication slightly harder. She could always go to the bigger city and try to steal some since it was a lot more expensive than in their small village, but she was trying to not steal anymore, the odds of getting caught were getting bigger and bigger every day, the sellers recognizing her face more often. The risk just wasn’t worth it anymore. Her job made her enough money to take care of the kids and Shiyeon. Plus Shiyeon could paint a bit more nowadays so she could sell her paintings to he neighbors and other people in their village.

Serim was imagining the face Shiyeon will have once she brings the medicine back home. She could see how worried the other girl was since Eunbi seemed to be more sick than usually, her symptoms being a lot more visible. 

“Good morning!” 

Serim said once she entered the farm, the few workers already there greeting her as she joined them in working. Everyone was talking about what their going to buy once they get paid. 

“What about you Serim?” 

Said girl lifted her head. 

“Me? I’m going to buy some medicine.”

“Medicine? You don’t look sick, is Eunbi having problems again?”

The older man said, his name was Hee-jun and always helped out Serim when she needed it. He was living on the other side of the village. Both Serim and Shiyeon knew him since he regularly bought Shiyeon’s paintings, never forgetting to compliment her skills and giving the two kids something sweet.

“Yeah, it looks a lot worse this year and Shiyeon is really worried, I just hope it will help her, you know how weak Eunbi is.”

“Shiyeon acts more like a mother than my wife, she sure cares about those little grasshoppers eh?”

“She does, I just hope the money will be enough, the medicine keeps getting more expensive, as if we don’t have enough worries right now.”

“You know what Seeim? You act older than me and I’m almost fifty years old. Act more like an eighteen year old will ya.” 

Serim only laughed and continued to weed the rice, the cold water reaching her knees, soothing the small scratches she had on her shins. 

The day went by quickly and she was done with all her duties by noon. The money was already in her pocket as she was walking towards the small shop that sold herbs and medicine. It was tucked in between two buildings in a small alley at the center of the village. The last time she was there it cost around 12 000 won and she was quite sure it was more expensive now. The amount of medicine was not enough so she was planning to buy around three of them. 

“Hello.”

Serim greeted the shopkeeper and went to the right side knowing that that was where it was. 

“15 000 won?” 

The girl mumbled, she could only buy two of them now. Serim was worried that it was not going to be enough for Eunbi to get better but had no other choice, she couldn’t spend more money since she had to live off something. She sighed and grabbed two portions of the shelf, placing them on the counter, paying for them and walking home. 

———

“I’m home!”

Serim yelled as soon as she entered the house, closing the door behind her and walking towards Shiyeon who was working on one of her paintings. Serim could recognize the scenery, as it was a place she used to take the kids to play when they were younger. 

“I have the medicine, but only two. Can you believe it, 15 000 won for one! Only one! Tsk.”

“You sound like an old man Serim.”

“Yah! I do not!”

Shiyeon laughed and turned around. 

“You do, get used to it.”

Serim was about to protest again, but Shiyeon gave her a pointed look so she shut . She didn’t want to admit it but angry Shiyeon was scary. Instead she walked to the kids room. Eunbi was sitting up and playing with Hyun-jin. 

“Unnie! Come play with us!”

Hyun-jin yelled as soon as she entered the room, Eunbi nodding along quickly. Serim laughed and sat down beside them.

“Alright guys, I’m going ti play with you, but first, Eunbi has ti take her medicine.”

“But it tastes bad!”

Eunbi protested from her spot, her face showing to displeasure when she remembered how horrible it was. 

“I know Eunbi, but you have to take it so you can be strong and play outside with Hyun-jin again.”

Eunbi frowned, but still took it. With a frown on her face, but still.

“See, it wasn’t even that bad.”

The rest of the day Serim spent playing with the two kids, making her completely exhausted when she fell to her duvet. 

“Those two grasshoppers sure have lot of energy!”

She exclaimed, yawning and stretching her body. Shiyeon only laughed at her.

“Yeah, I just hope that Eunbi is going to get better. It gets worse every year and I’m worried it’s only going to go downhill from here.”

“It’s going to be fine Shiyeon, I have a stable job, your paintings are getting more popular. Hyun-jin is getting stronger and I’m sure that Eunbi is going to get better. Everything will be fine!”

“Yeah, you’re right, I don’t know why I’m stressing so much.”

Both of the girl went to sleep, hoping that everything is going to just get better, but oh boy, there was a big storm coming...