♬♩♪ 07

Sound of the Sea

CHAPTER SEVEN

I’m Fine

A day goes by and Monday never feels so dull. Clicking through emails, browsing from one page to another, the sound of the keyboard bounces off his cubicle endlessly. Honestly, he should have seen it coming. He should have seen his workmate halts her step in front of his table with a paper cup in hand. The man looks disturbed ever since she found him there, hiding behind his monitor.

Moon Byulyi, or best known as Moonbyul, Byul for a shorter nickname, is a fellow co-worker with the similar position but unlike Seokjin, who focuses more on Purple Rain Production, she is TLPAC’s production manager. They share more or less the same job scope yet hers has larger range beyond the in-house production team errands. So for her to witness him in such state, it is worrying. Nonetheless, she has a little idea on whatever matter that runs in his head.

“The audition didn’t go well, I assume.” Moonbyul sat on the chair which Seokjin has placed on his opposite side for whoever decided to meet him. Since he pauses on his current task, she guesses she shoots the right statement right in the bull’s eye. She knew from Hoseok who posted on his Twitter last night. It was not a direct tweet but she understood the meaning rather quick.

“Actually,” Seokjin finally looks away from his screen and glances at her briefly before sighing. “It went horribly.” That is a surprise to hear him being so straightforward but it does not end there which Moonbyul is very thankful about.

“I wasn’t expecting for an immediate apology from Yoongi. I thought he would lock himself at his apartment like he always do yet last night, he came back, looking at the worst state I ever see him in. The apology was very sincere though I was a bit disappointed that his sister wasn’t with him.”

 


 

After his meeting with Namjoon, Yoongi walked, taking an awfully long time to head back to the studio. Well, he needed all the time he could buy to make up sentences in his mind, a script of sorry to everyone present. Initially, he wanted to throw himself in his apartment. Imagining the number of songs he had ditched, it was not the best place to conjure an apology.

To his surprise, all of his friends were at the studio, minding their own businesses.

It was difficult to let them all out, verbally. It was difficult to have it sound convincing to his ears. It was difficult to make eye contacts with them. He was shaking, hard.

As the eldest, Seokjin waited with his arms folded against his torso. Everyone had their attention on him and Yoongi, switching from time to time. The younger boys simply remained quiet, afraid of breaking the silence. After all, if there was a problem to fix, it was between them that held the utmost importance.

Jungkook let his breath out. He didn’t realise he was holding them in throughout the entire tensed event. Maybe they had forgotten that Seokjin was a drama student once, the best one in class too. So, the expression he had on his face was actually an act. He said he couldn’t stay mad at the leader for long. Well, he can’t stay furious for a long time but he is capable of being offended for days.

“Please remember that we are here for everyone. We also want the best future for the band, you know? Today’s audition might be a complete bust but there are good things that came out of it. You, as a rational leader, should give the green light for three new members of BTS.” Seokjin simply said once he stood right in front of Yoongi. He kept a metre distance as a form of respect. The younger seemed to need all the space, especially his brain.

“Wait, three?” Yoongi questioned, genuinely puzzled. He would understand they would want Jimin and Hoseok in the band but did he mean…

“We know nothing about Yoora until today. However, I believe she deserves a chance to be one of us. You wouldn’t let her stay in the studio, witnessing the fight, for nothing, right?”

 


 

“So, BTS has seven members now? Hoseok will perform with you guys too?” Moonbyul asked and Seokjin lightly chuckles at her reaction. “Don’t tell me you don’t know Hoseok can rap and dance. That’s why he decided not to accept the SM job that I’m currently taking. But he will not dance, obviously. And he will not perform as much. It might be a lot for him since we are having him as the band manager. We’re not going to force him to perform if he doesn’t want it.”

“You do realise that you let Yoongi’s sister, which mind you, you have no idea about her existence, join without any formal introduction.”

“Yeah, we did but I feel like he will tell us why he chose to keep his sister’s existence a secret from everyone.” Seokjin leans back on his chair and his eyes instantly find his bag under the table on his right.

Yoora’s red notebook is still with him and he wonders if she is actually looking for it.

 


 

The youngest member of the band giddily places a clear-covered file adjacent to the new face of BTS. The relaxing evening he planned on having immediately disappears when he got a text from the leader as soon as he looked at his phone in the afternoon. After the previous night’s ordeal, he thought Yoongi will only start the band practice in two or three days, at least.

“This is quite a number of original songs from what I heard.” Jimin mumbled when he flips through a neatly arranged song compositions which Jungkook actually had them in alphabetical order. The boy only smiles at his friend’s words.

“If there are songs that I know the full lyrics that are Just One Day, and Let Me Know. I can recall the choruses for Run, Rain, and I Need U. The rest…uh nothing.”

That’s fine though. Actually, that’s a lot already. Yoongi’s sister though will have a harder time since she never seen us before.” Jungkook signed understandingly and adds on, “I can’t wait for tonight’s band practice. I wonder how everything will go on now that BTS is getting a fresh new start.

Once the sky turns dark, BTS is completely gathered at the centre of the studio. All of them are formerly seated on chairs with tables which is strange to the original members of the bands per se. They tend to opt for the floor all the time. This time, with an official band manager presence, Seokjin suppresses a laugh at the sight of Yoongi fidgeting on his spot.

“I figured it would be the best for us to introduce ourselves before the practice. For familiarity sake, at least.” The eldest member of BTS spoke and Hoseok instantly stands at the chance. Goodness, he truly loves the guy’s energy already.

“Good evening everyone. I am Jung Hoseok. I was a resident stage manager in Purple Rain Production but I decided to lay low and do stage management as a freelancer. Now, I’m your band manager. It’s nice to know you guys and hope we will work well together!” He enthusiastically ends his introduction with his right fist in the air. Yes, definitely the most Hoseok-thing Seokjin ever witness.

Taehyung, Jimin, Seokjin were up next after their new manager and Jungkook manages to finish his. That surprises Hoseok, appearing troubled at the method. Yoongi picks up the confusion instantaneously and sighs in Seokjin’s general direction.

“You didn’t tell Hoseok that Jungkook is mute?” The leader questioned because he senses trouble before they even take a step further. The other wants to make his reply but is cut, “Ah, that’s alright. I guess having a third language will not hurt. Sign language is cool.” Hoseok good-naturedly assures, making Jungkook beams at the genuine acknowledgement.

“Will you have problems communicating with him, Yoora?” Jimin tossed the question to the only female in the room. She shakes her head. “No, I’m fine with sign language. I can understand them.”

“I guess you’re not Yoongi’s little sister for nothing. That’s nice to know.” Taehyung said, “Also it’s always nice to have the same age friend in the gang.”

“She’s younger than you by a year though.” Yoongi pointed out and the bassist merely shrugs. “If I was born a couple of days late, I probably will be. Age doesn’t matter among us anyway.”

An hour swiftly swings by the studio. Based on the time, the introduction shockingly went longer than planned. They agreed on calling it a night, hoping to gather the group again tomorrow afternoon.

Hoseok shared them the schedule which is another new thing for them due to their nature of ambushing at any given performance opportunity. He allocated three hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays afternoon for band practices since Seokjin has a play to look over at weekday nights. Fridays are specialised for busking sessions since Yoongi still insists on having a local jamming session at their usual spot. Weekend nights, Hoseok suggested performing in the city to gather more eyes on the band.

“Are you sure you will be fine?” Yoongi pulls Seokjin’s arm lightly to get his attention when he is about to leave.

Having a well-written schedule is great yet the leader worries about the eldest seeing that he have the most packed agenda on his upcoming days. It will be him and theatre rehearsals on weekday nights and weekend afternoons while BTS-related activities on weekday afternoons and weekend nights. The only rest he will ever have throughout the week is on Wednesday for both sides.

“I’m fine. If I am you, I would worry about her more.” Seokjin stated as he gazes pass Yoongi’s shoulder and lands Yoora, who is flipping the same clear-file Jimin once scanned. He turns and nods. The older fellow is right and he feels like he should trust Seokjin with everything now that BTS is getting a reformation.

“Anyway,” The older call for the younger’s attention. “I believe this belongs to her. I bumped onto her yesterday when I went to buy the band some snacks. Let her know the only thing I saw was the audition’s flyer.” After saying that, Seokjin finally takes his leave, seeing that it will be a long day ahead of him starting tomorrow.

 


 

“I didn’t notice I lost this, to be honest.” Yoora told her brother when the two of them are the only ones left in the studio. He expected her to leave with the others by now, actually. He is not planning to kick her out since this is where she will claim as her second home. Which reminds him…

“Are you staying alone all this time while being on land? Where were you? Namjoon was quiet about it until yesterday.” Yoongi started and recalls the discussion they had with the advisor at his office. “I did have a plan to look for you as soon as I came on land. But walking was hard and I was literally lying on the shore for a good hour. Anyway, when I can have my human legs working, I just went ahead and go on a bus and then I was at the city-”

“You were where?!” His voice was loud. By then he has his palm rubbing his face because slapping them will not be an advantage to him in the situation. For a first-timer, she went straight to the city when she just learned how to walk properly. Visualising the scene, she might stir problems in there.

“Hey, it was alright though. I found a kind merman there and he helped me-”

Please tell Yoongi that he deserves this feeling. His sister, who he just met for a couple of days after a couple of decades, is out on land as her very naïve self. It will be challenging to teach her the human ways before even bothering to teach her anything about the band. Fortunately for her, her brother chooses to ignore her initial intension being on land and decides to flick her on the forehead.

“Ouch! What is that for?!” Yoora groaned at the sudden pain and glares. “I can tell we have a lot to work on if you’re planning to stay here because there is no way I’m going back to Jinju after the mess you showed me.” He spoke, his voice disappears at the end of the line but she heard them.

“You still have to go back though. And about mom…”

Yoongi turns still on his spot on the couch beside her. Of course, she will be asking about her. About the woman who gave life to them. The one who selfishly dragged him to the life he has now. Not that he fully understood what actually happened but he could not stay mad since he learned to love being…human.

“I’ll show her to you one day. Maybe once you get use with the guys with practices. Speaking of practice, you do play the guitar and can sing, right?” Yoora scoffs, a reply Yoongi isn’t expecting to get. “I had to learn how to sing because of you back in Jinju. Guitar wise, yeah, I can strum them. We are naturally gifted in music, Yoon.”

“What do you mean you have to learn to sing because of me? I thought you can’t be the ruler of Jinju if father passes.”

“The things with our family are confusing. I hate being a royal. I hate you for not being there when I have to suffer with the messes alone. But now you said it, I hate you even more.”

“That is in a sister-brotherly way, right?” He questioned, slowly. He can listen and accept anyone hating him besides his friends and family. She maintains the quietness until she whispers meekly, “Maybe.”

“But maybe that’s for the best. I can’t sing. Jinju will be at worst if I do…which I will never go back to!” Yoongi immediately adds on when he sees Yoora’s eyes widened hopefully. When her eyes return to her normal state, “Mermaids are naturally good musically though.”

“Stop saying that. Once you live long enough as a full human, you’ll understand that whatever our kind tells you are in fact, fake.” The brother rolls his eyes and takes a quick glance at the time on his phone.

11:11.

They should head home. But…

“You still haven’t told me where you have been living for the past few months. And a merman? Are you sure he wasn’t lying to you? No one in the right mind would admit they are mermaids upon first meeting.” Yoongi threw a set of unanswered questions. He feels like he should not delay more time if he has to teach her to live on land for who knows how long.

“Ah,” Yoora snaps her fingers once her brother finished his sentences. They went off the track before so it is a nice timing to return to the original lane. “While roaming in the city, I found myself getting a random part-time job at an aquarium-”

‘This is already weird. How on Earth does she get a job when she just learned how to walk…’ He silently contemplates while she continues talking. He is waiting for the point where she tells her current address so he can walk her home but the name of her so-called co-worker strikes him, hard.

“He is the one who suggested me to stay over at his friend’s house and she was a kind mermaid too!”

“What was his name again?” Yoongi makes Yoora pouts. She realises her brother spaced out when she enthusiastically tells her story.

“The merman? I think it was Lee Jihoon.”

As there isn’t enough rain pouring for the past two days, lightning flashes in his mind and his eyes widen in surprise. Yoora doesn’t miss the chance to ask him about it.

“You know him, Yoon?”

Know him is a fascinating word. Sometimes underrated. That depends on his memory if he can recall the Lee Jihoon he knows with the ones Yoora said. After all, there could be more person of the same name.

“I think it’s time for us to head home and rest.”

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

CuriousCat