010

My Friendly Neighbor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun could not take her gaze away from Joohyun. The latter’s presence was too dazzling to be unnoticed – she radiated the kind of beauty that would make anyone turn their heads and take a second look. Everything about her looked too perfect.

She’s ethereal.

No wonder he’s head over heels for her.

“Hey Taehyung,” Joohyun finally spoke.

The way his name came out of Joohyun’s lips sounded like a melody of longing in Dahyun’s ears. Dahyun then glanced at the male and in his eyes, she found the same emotions.

Dahyun clutched her crutch tighter as the way her chest ached made her legs weak. Then she noticed how Joohyun’s gaze was going back and forth between her and Taehyung in curiosity. As Taehyung continued to be speechless, Dahyun took the initiative to clear up the situation.

“Good evening,” Dahyun greeted Joohyun politely, “I’m Kim Dahyun. I’m Mister Kim’s next door neighbor.”

The use of a distant and old nickname snapped Taehyung out of his trance. He looked at Dahyun who was smiling at Joohyun.

“I’m so clumsy so I got into an accident. Mister Kim just helped me go to the clinic.”

“I see,” Joohyun nodded before introducing herself, “My name is Bae Joohyun.”

“I know!” Dahyun tried her best to force the cheerfulness in her voice, “Mister Kim likes you a lot so he could not stop talking about you.”

The words she uttered sent another dull ache in her heart.

“I think you two need to catch up,” she quickly added.

She knew she had to cut the conversation short because the pain enveloping her was breaking her apart right then and there.

“I’m going in. Have a good night,” Dahyun hurriedly pressed the passcode of her door before going inside her unit, not even bothering to look back.

She struggled to reach the couch in her living room, but as soon as she sat down, tears stated streaming down her eyes.

It’s over.

I don’t have any chance to make him love me.

She covered with both of her hands as she sobbed harder. She needed to be careful because she didn’t want to be heard by the man who had just reunited with his long-lost love – the same man who has her heart.

 

 

Joohyun could still remember the day that she met Taehyung in College. He was a quiet kid who sat at the farthest seat. It was evident how he was trying to stay low-key, even avoiding interactions with the rest of the class. But his looks were too gorgeous for him to keep a low profile. Joohyun noticed how like her, every female in that room was also stealing glances from Taehyung.

She was about to leave it at that – he was just a cute freshman in their Humanities class. She could even remember confessing to her friends that she had a small crush at him, but he was too aloof for her liking. Taehyung was like art that she could only enjoy from looking at afar.

Everything changed when by luck of a randomizer of their professor, they were paired up for a project. They started spending time with each other more often – probably too frequent to justify with a simple school requirement. She loved the color of his voice so she found herself more talkative than usual, doing everything she can to keep him talking. Naturally, she started getting to know him better and the more she unraveled him, the more she fell for him.

For Joohyun, Kim Taehyung’s gorgeous appearance reflected his beauty in the inside. He was very warm and kind; he was always thoughtful and always caring.

She knew that she was so fortunate to be in love with him. Taehyung seemed like the person who had a lot of love to give and all such love, he devoted only to her. He was be ready to move mountains or even discover another universe for her.

But Joohyun had so many dreams for herself – many things she wanted to conquer on her own.

Her dreams would take time to come true and she didn’t want such time to be taken away from Taehyung. She never asked him to wait for she thought it was too unfair for him.

However, years of dreaming without him had nurtured a void in her. As days passed by, the spot in her heart reserved for Taehyung became emptier but heavier.

So she found herself coming back for him, wanting to bask in his affection.

“Taehyung?” Joohyun whispered, upon finding the other side of the bed empty.

She slowly got up and looked for him inside his unit only to find the male in the kitchen. Her lips slowly curved into a smile seeing him get busy as he prepared breakfast. She went towards him with quiet footsteps before her arms encircled his waist.

“Hey. Good morning,” Taehyung kissed her forehead.

“Are you cooking?” Joohyun asked before commenting, “You’re a terrible cook though.”

“Excuse me. I am capable enough to fry bacons and eggs,” Taehyung exclaimed.

She giggled and gave him a tight back hug before releasing him and proceeding to prepare her cup of coffee. In no time, the food had been set down to the table. However, Joohyun also noticed the small containers of food that Taehyung was preparing.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“It’s for Dahyun,” Taehyung answered, “She injured her foot so I doubt that she can prepare her own food or go out to buy breakfast so I’m going to bring this to her.”

Joohyung was left speechless.

She used to be certain on how Taehyung could get the moon for her, but at that moment, she couldn’t erase the thought that the breakfast in front of her was actually made for another.

“You can start eating if you are hungry,” Taehyung stated, “I’ll just give to her. I will be back quick.”

“Can I come?” Joohyung blurted, surprising Taehyung. But then she beamed and added, “I was not able to properly talk to her last night.”

“Okay. Come on,” Taehyung urged.

However, as they went out of their unit, they found Dahyun in front of her door.

Joohyun saw how the two’s gazes softened upon seeing each other, so she held onto Taehyung’s arm, as if claiming what was hers. She watched as Dahyun’s gaze travelled to her hands which held Taehyung.

Dahyun on the other hand, took note of the latter’s bare appearance as well as the oversized clothes she was wearing.

I wonder how great the feeling would be to sleep beside Taehyung and wake up to a new day knowing that he will just keep loving you more.

“Good morning,” Joohyun spoke, taking Dahyun out of her thoughts.

“Good morning Miss Joohyun,” Dahyun greeted back.

“Did you cry?” Taehyung asked without even greeting Dahyun. When she couldn’t answer immediately, he added, “Why did you cry? Is your injury too painful?”

The pain in my heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter