Unfinished Business

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae was afraid. He wasn't sure whether he made the right choice or not but he knows there was no point in regretting his decision. He needed to go. He needed to let them go so that they could still live their life. Just because his ended doesn't mean that theirs should end as well. 

"Lee Hyukjae?" 

Hyukjae looked up and was surprised to see Leeteuk. "Hyung?" He was confused and a little afraid that something terrible had happened to his best friend. "Leeteuk hyung...what are you doing here? Why are you here?"

'Leeteuk' merely smiled and Hyukjae recognized that smile. That was the same smile Leeteuk showed him when he was freaking out over his finals or whenever he needed to calm down. 

"Don't worry, Hyukjae-ssi. Your friend is okay."

"Wha- but, who-...h-how..."

"I merely embody the person you feel safest with." The blank look on Hyukjae's face caused 'Leeteuk's' smile to widen as he explained further. "I understand your confusion. It's a normal response, believe me."

"How do you mean?"

"I know you probably think you should be seeing Donghae but you would simply feel guilt and shame. Afterall, he didn't only lose you, you lost him as well. Your brother Heechul, although you love him very much, always trigger your alert senses and so we settled on Leeteuk. A second brother and a second parent to you during your lifetime."

Hyukjae couldn't deny those facts. Instead, he opted to just nod his head as though it explained everything and chose not to ask as to how the person in front of him knew all that about him. 

"I'm glad I made the right decision." 'Leeteuk' smiled again before directing Hyukjae to follow him. "I know coming here wasn't an easy decision but I'm still happy you've decided to take the next step of your afterlife."

Hyukjae kept silent and processed his words in his head. He bit his lower lip a little apprehensive as to where exactly they were going. 'Leeteuk' looked back at him and chuckled lightly. "Please don't worry."

"Huh?"

"There's nothing to worry about. I've read your file and I'm pretty sure judgment on your case will go just fine."

Hyukjae was now more confused and more apprehensive hearing the word "judgment." 

"I-I'm sorry. Wh-What? What do you mean by that?"

"There seems to be a lot of misinterpretation when it comes to the afterlife. Which is why I think there's still so many ghosts that lingers on earth." 'Leeteuk' hummed a little unappreciative on the matter. "But what can you do? A requirement to enter judgment is to have a little leap of faith."

"Leap of faith? Hyung!- uhh,  I-I mean...um Leeteuk?...hy-ung," Hyukjae called faltering a little as he wasn't sure what to call the latter. "I don't understand."

"You will soon." 'Leeteuk' showed him his eye smile before stopping in front of a floating sapphire blue door. Hyukjae blinked since 'Leeteuk' made no move to enter it. "Go ahead."

"Are...you not coming with me?"

"Oh, I can't. My job ends here."

"Your job. What is that exactly?"

'Leeteuk' chuckled at Hyukjae's curiosity but kept his lips seals. He stepped to the side and encouraged Hyukjae to go in. "I enjoyed our short time together. I wish you all the best, Hyukjae-ssi. You deserve it."

Hyukjae was speechless for a minute and within that minute, Hyukjae forgot that the person in front of him wasn't actually his best friend and felt at eased. Nodding his head as a form of gratitude, Hyukjae took in a deep breathe before opening the door in front of him. Once Hyukjae's entire body was inside, he was amazed seeing that he has in fact entered a completely different place. The second door shut behind him it disappeared. 

"Lee Hyukjae." Hyukjae turned around, startled. First because of the sudden voice and then when he saw who it was. "Hello."

"H-Hyori noona?!" Hyukjae called in shock but then remembered Leeteuk, or rather, someone that looked like Leeteuk earlier. "A-Are you...H-Hyori noona?"

"Of course, not." She smiled, obviously finding his expression amusing. "She's safe in her home with the kids and her husband."

Hyukjae was relieved to hear that but then wondered why would they choose her to appear before him. 

"You're wondering what she represents, aren't you?" Hyukjae stilled suddenly wondering if she could read his mind. 'Hyori' simply giggled before shaking her head. "No, Hyukjae. I can't read your mind but I can read your expression. You're basically an open book."

Hyukjae pouted at that remark. Even in the afterlife, he still hasn't controlled his facial expressions. 

"Don't worry, Hyukjae. That's a good thing." 'Hyori' assured before proceeding to go behind the desk that Hyukjae failed to notice upon his entrance in the room. "It definitely makes this whole process easier."

"Um...Hyori noona..." Hyukjae hesitantly called. He still wasn't sure if that was okay since the person in front of him wasn't exactly his Hyori noona but not hearing any form of protest from other, Hyukjae decided to proceed. "Uhh...what is this exactly?"

'Hyori' grinned at Hyukjae before producing a huge textbook and slamming it on the table. Hyukjae was caught surprised by the way it slammed then got closer when Hyori beckoned him over. He curiously read the giant letters of his name written across the cover page. 

"This is judgment day."

"Judgment day?" Hyukjae felt nervous repeating those words. It sounded very ominous and he couldn't help but worry. 

"You look nervous," 'Hyori' commented. Hyukjae sheepishly laugh since there really was no point in denying it. "Have a seat. I'll explain everything."

Hyukjae was about to say that there was nowhere to seat when he felt a small bump behind his knees and when he turned to see what it was, there was a chair waiting for him to sit on. "How did you-" Hyukjae tried to ask but then decided against it. 'Hyori' smiled at him gratefully. 

"There's nothing to worry about. Judgment day is basically when we decide where your next destination is."

"My next destination?" Hyukjae asked wanting to clarify. 

"Yeah. Souls decide what they want to do with their afterlife. Based on the merits you earned during your lifetime, you could decide whether you want to go to heaven, hell, or be reincarnated."

Hyukjae was definitely surprised to hear that. "Y-You mean people actually choose hell?"

'Hyori' chuckled obviously finding the common misconception amusing. "I know, I know. Many gets scared thinking eternal torture and whatnot but actually, hell is just where we send the runt and grunt work. It's a split job and heaven and hell are more connected than what you think. It's in our monthly meetings."

Hyukjae was having a hard time processing the whole thing. Who knew the afterlife functioned very much like an office?

"We basically assign an angel and a devil to a human and they split the work tallying merits to get your soul ready for the afterlife. Right here." Hyori then opened the book she had on the desk and showed Hyukjae everything he's done, both good and bad, throughout his entire life.

"Sometimes, when you've earned enough merits then you can choose to get yourself reincarnated and get another chance to continue your life or start anew. If you don't earn enough, then depending which one's your specialty, we send you to where it's most appropriate." She kept explaining but Hyukjae was already too absorbed watching his life play before his eyes. 

Hyukjae was simply amazed at what was happening+. He saw his four year old self standing up for his first friend Junsu in kindergarten and then when he first had that fight with Heechul over ice cream. When he entered middle school and punched that kid who called him a monkey in fifth grade but then apologizing afterwards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter