F I N A L

Twilight
 
 

“I told you to go to bed earlier, but you’re the one that had to stay up,” the older woman scolded, standing at the stove with her back to the younger boy who was scrambling around the house.

 

“I had to finish writing my song for tonight,” he scowled, rummaging through the fridge for food.

 

“I packed food for you, eat it on the way,” she pointed to the small lunch bag that sat at the counter.

 

“Noona,” the boy instantly smiled, leaning down to press a quick kiss against the older woman’s forehead, “you’re the best!”

 

“Yeah, yeah, now go before you really are late, I’ll let myself out. Good luck tonight!” she chuckled, pushing the younger boy off her.

 

“Thank you so much Noona, I owe you!” he exclaimed, running out of his apartment and down two floors of staircases to a motorcycle parked outside, starting the ignition when he felt the phone in his pocket vibrating. He quickly inserted his headphones into his ears, placing the phone back in his pocket as he started driving.

 

“Late again?” the feminine voice on the other end said in a teasing tone.

 

“I’ll be there in less than 5 minutes,” he said..

 

“You really don’t have to pick me up, San,” she said. “I can just take the bus instead - ”

 

“No!” San exclaimed, slighting increasing the speed on the motorcycle. “I’ll be outside your house before you can even say your name ten times,”

 

“Yoo Hyerin,” she said once, the boy chuckling as he weaved through the cars.

 

“Nine more times, but I’ll be there first,”

 

“You better not be speeding, Choi San,” she said, her playful tone gone.

 

“Yoo Hyerin,” he said this time, smiling as the girl’s name left his lips.

 

“I swear to God, if you’re speeding and end up getting hurt, I will be so mad at you,” she said.

 

“It’s not fun if you’re going to be so serious about this,” he replied.

 

“I’m serious about this because this is a serious thing, San,”

 

“It’s just me on the bike right now, don’t worry,” he playfully commented.

 

“I don’t care,” she said. “Drive carefully, and hang up before you get hurt because of me,” she said, cutting off the call. San laughed out loud, earning looks from the other people on the street, but he didn’t care as he turned into the familiar street of where Hyerin’s apartment building was located. “You were speeding, weren’t you?” she frowned, her hands crossed over her chest as she stood outside the entrance.

 

“Told you I’d be here before you could say your name ten times,” he smiled, taking out a white helmet for the girl.

 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

San had been helping out at the flower shop since he was in middle school and needed to do research for a project in his science class. What was supposed to be a few hours a month turned into San visiting the flower shop almost every day, begging his older sister to bring him a few times a week until the day he turned 16 and and he was offered a job there. The flower shop was run by Mr. Jeong, a quiet older man who kept to himself, but San managed to soften his heart.

 

It was only a little over a year ago when he saw her for the first time.

 

It was just a simple summer day, no clouds to be seen in the bright blue sky, but the breeze would pass by every now and then to cool San as he was watering the plants in front of the shop. He was whistling along a tune that was playing on the speakers in the shop - Mr. Jeong’s office was soundproof, so he didn’t care what San played.

 

“Hi there, do you work here?” he heard a feminine voice while there was a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to face her. “Of course he works here, why else would be watering the plants?” he heard her muttering to herself, scowling as she turned her head to the side, the pink in her cheeks not just due to the heat.

 

“Yeah, I do,” San nodded, putting the watering can down on the ground. “How can I help you today? You need to put in an order, or would like a bouquet?”

 

“Actually, I called Mr. Jeong a few days ago? He said I can come in today for a job interview,” she said, pushing some of her hair behind her ear.

 

“Oh,” San’s eyes widened a little. With every passing second, he found it harder and harder to make eye contact with the girl. There was just something about her that was simply breathtaking. “He’s not here right now, he went out earlier to meet with one of our suppliers, but he should be back soon. You can wait inside,” he said, opening the door for her.

 

“Oh, thank you!” she smiled, walking inside to the air conditioned shop. “Oh this cold air feels so good,” she let out a sigh of relief, walking around the shop to inspect all the flowers and plants that were on display. While her attention was occupied, San quickly ran into the “STAFF ONLY” room, grabbing two cold water bottles from the mini fridge, checking that there was no dirt on him or his clothing before popping a mint into his mouth and heading back outside.

 

“Here,” he said, holding out a water bottle towards the girl.

 

“Oh thank you!” she smiled, taking the bottle from his hands and taking a huge gulp. “Water is such an underrated drink,” she commented, taking another sip. “Anyways, I’m Hyerin. Yoo Hyerin,” she said, extending her hand out towards the taller boy.

 

“Choi San,” he said, gently shaking her hand.

 

“San,” she repeated, as if testing his name. “I like the sound of your name. Choi San, it really matches you,”

 

“Matches me?” he questioned, one eyebrow raised to question her.

 

“I don’t know how to describe, it just suits you,” she shrugged, leaving her water bottle at the counter as she explored the shop.

 

“So what brings you to Our Precious Wonderland?” San asked, setting materials on the counter to prepare a bouquet order.

 

“I’m taking horticulture classes at the local community college this coming fall semester, and I figured it would be really well if I found a job early on to help me,” Hyerin explained, coming back towards the counter to watch San work.

 

“Oh, that’s really cool actually,” he responded, glimpsing up at the girl.

 

“What about you?” she asked.

 

“Well, I graduated high school two years ago, but I’ve been here for awhile. I found this place and Mr. Jeong in middle school when I was doing a school project and I just fell in love. I took botany classes in high school, but after graduation, Mr. Jeong has been the one really overlooking my trainer. I was never interested in getting my certification since I can’t imagine myself anywhere but here, and Mr. Jeong never biased against me for that decision, so I never decided to take classes,” he explained. “Not that there’s anything bad with taking classes! It’s good that one of us will be a real florist, we’ll seem more professional,” he quickly added to not offend the girl.

 

“You think Mr. Jeong will hire me?” her eyes widened and San swore he saw sparkles in her eyes.

 

“Mr. Jeong may be old, but he has a soft spot for cute people - how else do you think I ended up here with no formal training?” he chuckled.

 

“You think I’m cute?” she smiled, tilting her head.

 

“I, uh,” San’s face turned red at the realization of his words. He was trying to think of a way to quickly recover when he heard the front door’s bells jingle.

 

“San?” the scruff voice spoke. “Are you Yoo Hyerin?”

 

“Good afternoon, Mr. Jeong.” she smiled, bowing at the older man. “It’s a pleasure to meet you,”

 

“Good afternoon to you too,” he nodded, walking further into the shop. “Why don’t you join me in my office and we’ll start the interview. Choi, you can close the shop up and take your lunch break,”

 

“Okay,” the younger boy nodded, his face still slightly red. Hyerin followed Mr. Jeong, turning back at the last minute to wave at the boy.

 

It was only 45 minutes later when the two came out of the office, San at the counter eating his sandwich.

 

“Choi, this is Yoo Hyerin, she’ll be working with you starting next week. Yoo, this is San. While I’ll be the one supervising your overall training, you’ll mainly be working with him on a daily basis,”

 

“It’s nice to formally meet you, I look forward to working with you,” she smiled, winking at him, already loving the way his cheeks looked painted with blush.

 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

“You look tired,” Hyerin commented from the counter. She was supposed to be calling a client to finalize the flowers they wanted for their wedding, but she was more interested in the older boy.

 

“I went to bed late,” he said, holding back a yawn as he continued to arrange a bouquet.

 

“Why?”

 

“Aren't you supposed to be calling the Hwang couple?” he asked.

 

“I’m more interested in you,” she smiled.

 

“I’ll tell you after you call,” he proposed, making eye contact with the girl, laughing as she quickly picked up the phone.

 

“Hello, Mr. Hwang, this is Yoo Hyerin calling from Our Precious Wonderland! I was calling to confirm the flowers your fiance chose for the wedding ceremony?” San could hear her voice muffle as he went into the greenhouse in the back of the shop to get some more flowers. When he came back out, Hyerin was no longer at the counter, but sitting on the work space table.

 

“You know Mr. Jeong is going to be mad if he sees you sitting there,” he commented.

 

“Good thing that he’s on vacation,” she tapped the tip of San’s nose before leaning her back against the wall, her legs hanging off the table. “So tell me, why were you up late? You usually stop answering my messages after 10 PM because you’re sleeping,”

 

“I had to finish working on a project,”

 

“A project?” she questioned.

 

“There’s this cafe near my apartment doing a little show and I’m performing there. I was finishing my song for that,”

 

“A performance?” Hyerin questioned, her lips breaking into a smile.

 

“Mhm,” San nodded, looking at her from the corner of his eyes. “If you’re not busy…”

 

“Are you kidding me?” she exclaimed. “Even if I was busy, I would have canceled my plans to see you perform! What time is the show?”

 

“It starts around 8 PM,” he said.

 

“Perfect, we close at 6 today! Oh, I can’t wait, you’re going to sound so great,” she smiled brightly, hopping off the table.

 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

“So, what do you think of Yoo?” Mr. Jeong asked the boy one evening after hours as they sat in the office.

 

“Hyerin?” he repeated. “She’s really nice, it’s nice to have someone there when you’re not at the shop, and she is really talented. Almost makes me want to sign up for those classes,”

 

“Choi, that’s not what I mean,” Mr. Jeong chuckled.

 

“What do you mean then?”

 

“Son, my wife and I married for 45 years before she passed away, and I mean it when I say she is the love of my life. It’s only been a few months since she started working here, but I notice the way you look at her,”

 

“I don’t love her, we’re just friends,” San scoffed. “I mean I like her, but I don’t love her,”

 

“Son, there’s a difference between loving someone and being in love with them. When you love someone, that’s a decision that you make, a choice, and it can often be like climbing an uphill. Being in love though? You don’t choose that, that’s something your heart just does. Being in love with someone is effortless, you don’t have to think about it. When you love someone, it brings many highs, along with many lows, it’s a rush. Being in love however brings overall happiness in the long run, never ending,”

 

“A steady stream of emotions, like infinity being multiplied,” San quietly added.

 

“I think we both got the answer to my question,” Mr. Jeong replied. “She’s a good one for you. I see the way the both of you act around each other, the way you behave,”

 

“I don’t think she sees me as anything more than a friend,” San shook his head.

 

“You never know until you take that chance. Give your heart that chance, and for her sake? Give her heart that chance too, San. You never know where this will go,”



 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

“Are you sure you’ll be fine getting there on your own?” San confirmed, studying the girl standing in front of him.

 

“Yes, San, I know how to take an Uber. I used to go places on my own before I met you, ya know?” she laughed. “Now go so I can go get ready, and you have to get ready and prep too!” she said, gently pushing his shoulder.

 

“I’ll see you tonight!” he smiled, putting his helmet back on.

 

“Look handsome for me!” she winked, turning around to enter her apartment building, not missing his pink cheeks.

 

San couldn’t hide the smile he broke in as he drove back home, entering his quiet apartment. His older sister truly was the best sibling, cleaning his mess after he explicitly told her many times she wasn’t his maid that she had to do his housework when she was visiting, but he was very grateful towards the older woman. He shed his clothes from that day in the laundry basket, turning the water temperature as he allowed any dirt that followed him home to wash off. After shampooing his hair and washing his body to satisfaction, he turned the water off, tying his towel around his waist to walk back into his bedroom. He opened his closet, spending a good few minutes pulling outfits before finally deciding on a plain black shirt with a black and pink accented bomber jacket tucked into a pair of black jeans, pulling out his black boots to match. He decided to keep his earrings on, swapping the stud he wore in his bottom right ear piercing for a simple yet long chain, using a little gel in his hands to ruffle through his hair, but deciding not to style it up the way he would for work.

 

Eyeing the clock, it was 7:15 PM and he knew that he should be leaving his apartment. The cafe wasn’t far, but he had promised his friend that managed the cafe that he would get there early. Taking one last look at his appearance, he quickly grabbed his wallet, phone, and keys, shoving them in a messenger bag and leaving his apartment once more.

 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

“San!” a male voice called, getting the younger’s attention.

 

“Seonghwa Hyung!” San smiled, his nerves already starting to act up when he noticed how many people were in the cafe for the show. “I didn’t expect there to be so many people here tonight,”

 

“Ah, I made a post about it on my Instagram, and you know that girls can’t resist my handsome face,” he smiled, leaning back against the counter.

 

“Hahaha, very funny Hyung,” he rolled his eyes.

 

“So, did you invite your cute coworker?” Seonghwa asked, turning to prepare a drink.

 

“I actually did, so I hope you’re proud of me,” San smiled brightly, turning back to scan the taken seats. “Although she’s not here yet,”

 

“It’s barely half past 7, she’ll come. I know she will,” Seonghwa reassured him, sliding a drink across the counter. “On the house for the guy that’s going to give the best performance tonight,”

 

“Thank you, Hyung,” the younger smiled, taking a sip of the ice tea. “Is Mingi here?”

 

“In the back, I allowed him to clock out earlier to prepare, you can go into the staff room,” Seonghwa lifted the counter opening, letting him go in the back. “I’ll call you guys when we’re getting ready, so just take a deep breathe and relax, San,”



 

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

 

“Okay ladies and gentlemen! That great performance was brought to us by Yeosang and Wooyoung, can we get them a round of applause!” Seonghwa spoke into the microphone, pausing for a moment so everyone could clap. “Now, I know everyone had a great time tonight, but unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Tonight’s last performance comes to you from two very special people, Aurora Cafe’s very own Song Mingi, and my very close friend, Choi San!” The two young boys smiled as they moved onto the small little stage that was made for the performers, getting comfortable in their seats as Mingi tuned his guitar.

 

“I hope everyone had a fun time tonight,” San started, his eyes scanning the audience, “the song that we’ll be performing is named Twilight, and it’s actually a piece that I wrote myself,” he smiled when he finally found the sparkling eyes he had been searching for all night, his cheeks turning slightly pink when he saw Hyerin sit up taller her in seat, holding up a heart finger for him. “There’s someone in my life, and I’ve been wanting to tell her something important, but every time I try, I can’t bring myself to. I hope with this song, I’ll be able to tell her how I feel,”

 

“This is how I feel about you

Twilight

It’s like twilight, yeah

Oh baby, I just wanna see that twilight

Wanna see that with you”

 

As Mingi started playing the guitar, he could hear people in the audience cheer, but San avoided eye contact with Hyerin, not sure how he would respond to her reaction in the middle of the performance.

 

“Come up, get in the waves, I mean, even if it’s time -consuming

This wonderful moment I’ll keep it, I feel your scent coming

The atmosphere is ripe, I feel like I’m about to burst

I do not want to get rid of this ecstatic moment

When you and I are together

Infinity multiplies

I’ll go into your memories inside you

I remember clearly, even fog can’t break this memory”

 

Mingi rapped the verse flawlessly, unable to hold back the smirk on his lips as he saw Hyerin. He had seen a picture of her on San’s phone earlier, and he had to admit that just based off her appearance, she was exactly the type of person San would fall in love with - she seemed like a genuinely warm hearted person.

 

“Trust me, it’s only you

The twilight over there is pretty but We’ll never go there, right?

It shines like a sunset

If you look, even it is jealous of us

We vampire, A lifelong glow, wow”

 

Mingi turned his head slightly, making eye contact with San, nodding as if to signal that they were almost at the end.

 

“Ummm - Tell me tell me Yeah

Tell me tell me yeah

Ummm - Love me love me yeah

Look at me

Say you love me, yeah

 

This is how I feel about you

Twilight

It’s like twilight, yeah”

 

The two boys couldn’t hold back their smiles as the song ended, everyone in the crowd clapping for the two. Even if Hyerin didn’t feel the same way about him, San thought he would be okay with it. It would hurt at first, but he wanted her to be happy with whatever may happen, and the fact that he was able to confess was more than enough for him.

 

“Go get your girl,” Mingi chuckled, commented to San as the two walked off the mini stage.

 

“San!” Hyerin exclaimed, not even giving the boy a minute to process her greeting as she practically jumped into his arms, standing on her tippy-toes to wrap her arms around his neck to hug him. Instantly, his arms wrapped around her waist, as if it was the most natural thing for him to do.

 

His arms wrapped around her waist.

 

It did feel natural. As if that’s where they were always meant to be.

 

“You wrote that song for me, didn’t you?” she asked, letting the older boy pull her to the outside cafe seating area that was empty of customers.

 

“Was it that obvious?” he nervously chuckled, scratching the back of his neck with one arm. “I don’t expect you to answer me right this second, or at all to be very honest. I am very okay with the fact if you don’t feel the same way about me. Well, not really, but I can’t control how you feel, and I respect your emotions, even if they may not be mutual. I just want you to be happy, and - ” he stopped mid-sentence when he felt Hyerin’s soft lips press against his, and as quickly as she kissed him, she pulled away.

 

“You’re cute,” she smiled, flashing that same cheesy smile that flashed him the first day they met at the flower shop.

 

“What?” he asked, confused.

 

“I said, you’re cute,” she repeated, looking at him endearingly.

 

“You kissed me,” he said softly, his finger grazing his lips. “Why…”

 

“I thought that it was obvious I liked you too,” she pouted.

 

“You like me too?” he asked, eyes widening.

 

“Choi San,” Hyerin smiled, taking one step closer to minimize the distance between them. “I have been openly flirting with you since the day we first met. I am half-way in love with you. Not even half-way, I am oh so fully and crazily in love with you,”

 

San didn’t wait another second, wrapping one arm around her waist, the other cradling the back of her head as he captured her lips with his, her arms wrapping around his neck as she stood on her tippy toes, her fingers playing with the strands of his hair.

 

“Hey!” Seonghwa’s voice boomed from the entrance of the cafe. “I’m happy for you two love birds, still waiting for a formal introduction, by the way, San, but this is this a public place. I would appreciate it if the two of you could dial down the PDA,” he said, shooting a look towards the two, but even in the dark, San could see the smile on Seonghwa’s face.

 

“Sorry Hyung,” he chuckled. “Let me go back in and grab my bag, we can go anywhere you want,” he turned back to the girl.

 

“It’s almost 11 PM, and tomorrow is your only day off after working the entire week. You sure?” she asked.

 

“With you, I would go anywhere you wanted, any time of the day,” San smiled, mirroring the girl’s bright smile as the moon shined brightly in her eyes.

 

“Okay,” Hyerin softly replied. “I’ll be waiting right here for you.”

 

 

this is how i feel about you,

twilight

it’s like twilight,

yeah