Different

Tʜᴇ Fᴏʀɢᴏᴛᴛᴇɴ Oᴡʟ

Seulgi and Taeil didn’t have to look at Doyoung to know that he was dreaming of sitting on the other side with Taeyong’s team. Wendy too. 

Under one lamp, there were nine people at the table. The two teams along with Chief Yeo. “I’ve called this meeting because the higherups have new orders for us. Out of the twenty teams, I believe you eight to be my best foragers and scavengers,” he said proudly as he looked around the table. 

“We learned from the best,” Taeyong flattered Chief Yeo, his voice low and soothing. 

The older man smiled, helplessly. “Thank you, Taeyong. As I was saying, there’s been a new order to put together my finest members for a...uh mission impossible sort of mission. I’m sure you’ve all heard of or met the woman Team Leader Seulgi picked up about a month ago. She’s been kept at the laboratory for research purposes and recently we’ve learned of what she really is,” 

“And what is she, Chief?” asked the pretty as a picture Park Sooyoung, who goes by the name Joy and is admired for her long slender legs. 

“What she is is to be kept secret until the day of the mission.” 

“What’s the objective of this mission impossible sort of mission?” Seulgi questioned. Albeit being the President’s daughter, it was also her first time hearing about this commission. 

Chief Yeo wasted no time to answer her, “Seulgi, you will take two crafts and lead this expedition. The objective is to find more like that of the woman—”

“Irene,” Seulgi interrupted to correct her boss, “Her name is Irene,”

Although Seulgi was nice about it, the man found it disrespectful, “She has no name since she doesn’t talk,” he said sternly. His tone surprising not only his team but himself. He cleared his throat, mumbled an apology for the distraction, then proceed, “You will have to travel outside our control. There would be no communication and navigation. You’ll be out of reach and on your own until you’re in tracking distance again,” the man spread his palms out on the wooden surface and put pressure in his fingers. “Since we’re not certain of where this woman came from, the higher-ups have set no deadline. I suggest you pack enough food for three months but if you don’t return in half a year’s time, we’ll assume you’ve failed.” 

“And if we do find more of her, what then, Chief?” Doyoung asked for everyone. 

Chief Yeo raised his brows, “You’ll take notes of them and bring back two men and two women.” 

“Including the woman we have now?” Yeri, the driver for Taeyong’s team, voiced for the first time. 

“And what will become of Irene?” Seulgi asked, not allowing the chief to answer Yeri first. “Will she remain at the laboratories as a test subject? Where she’ll be tested using all sorts of methods, harmful or otherwise?” 

Whether those around the table knew of the details or not, it doesn’t take a genius to know Seulgi wasn’t happy with Irene’s treatment. Though her tone and manner towards their boss were new and even to some, refreshing. Taeil, for one, doesn’t tolerate defiance but he understood Seulgi’s resentment on a personal level. When he had lost his wife and unborn son, he seemed to have lost his mind. Many believed he’d act recklessly and commit an act he’ll live to regret so while his peers carried out his only family and bury them outside the domes, Taeil was kept behind bars for a week. 

Their boss scoffed at Seulgi’s accusatory tone, “I’m not sure what happened during one of your visits but you’ll be professional and mindful of your temper. We’re here to discuss work. If what we’re talking about upsets you, you may refuse to be a part of this project and leave.” 

The room fell silent for a moment but it felt like an eternity as tension rises. 

Seulgi flattened her eyes, “Fine. I’ll lead this expedition but today’s meeting is over. I must talk it over with the president before I send all of us to our uncertain deaths.” 

URCrFsvRqtrzjX5xV3Rd68luD8Uv63OcCyP99E3xODJLoHbud3JU31KOgV9Cu7GkP4faTz3h-iBMTFtbvMBvgB_9BtjfXHYnBSBOtV4M0d3l-d56TI1v4tW6aego4J664xdrnIvb

On her way to the president’s office, Seulgi was welcomed with both praises and stares from workers and those in power alike. 

While some believe her finding will provide great insights to improve their future, others saw it as harmful or a hoax. Except for gossip, the people haven’t seen this discovery for themselves and it didn’t help that it was the daughter of a changed president who uncovered it. 

The attention was slightly overwhelming. As the Blue Boat—the official workplace for the president and the court—is massive and the tallest boathouse in the entire city. It has twenty busy floors and is at the heart of Rurakin. Every Rurans could see the house from wherever they were standing. 

“Your mother is hosting a dinner party tonight in celebration of her club’s 15th Anniversary. Although I’m sure you won’t be attending, just like you’ve stopped visiting some time ago. When was the last time you were home? Two or three years ago?” the man asked from across the coffee table, his tone indiscreet. 

Whether it was out of the kindness of his heart or not, Seulgi didn’t have the patience for small talk. Besides she’s never found him to be fond of casual conversation unless it would benefit him later. A deal or negotiation of some sort. 

“Sorry but I’m only here to learn more about this mission you’ve orchestrated,” 

The other clicked his tongue and prolonged her stay with more talks of his wife, “She’ll be disappointed in you, again,” 

His words, though short, peeved her and instantly she gave in to temptation and snapped, “As if you know anything about how she feels or thinks. You’ve been begging to divorce her since Seol—”

“Enough!” His voice was louder than thunder and heavier than hail. “Your sister is dead and you need to move on! I’m tired of hearing about her!” 

The corner of Seulgi’s lips twitched in frustration. She despised his hot-headedness towards her sister and though she had more to say, she knew it would only enrage him and her trip would have been a waste. The crickets in the room eventually cooled them down and long enough for her to speak without upsetting him. 

“Why two men and women?” Seulgi asked plainly, referring to one of the mission’s objectives. 

President Kang avoided eye-contact before revealing his plan to her. 

“To populate Rurakin. Something in their DNA allows them to breathe the air that we cannot. If they mix and pass whatever they have to Rurans, in the future, I believe we may be able to breathe and expand beyond the domes.”

Seulgi was dumbfounded, “Say Irene is different, what makes you think we’ll be able to find others like her?” 

“You will use her as a guide. Surely she knows where her kind is,” 

“She was lost, starved of food and water—” 

“I’ll give you three days. Convince her to take you to her kind,” the man said then made a grating sound with his throat, “Oh and I must warn you to never challenge my scientists again. Especially when it’s for test subjects.” He spat ‘test subjects’ out with odium. 

Without another word, the man stood up and headed back to his desk. However, Seulgi doesn’t give him the pleasure of being left alone to scheme some more. 

She followed him then stopped across the table, “Since I brought her in and made her my responsibility, she’ll be under my protection and I’ll have her removed from the laboratory. You’ve run enough tests on her.” 

“Three days,” he said slowly and strictly. 

URCrFsvRqtrzjX5xV3Rd68luD8Uv63OcCyP99E3xODJLoHbud3JU31KOgV9Cu7GkP4faTz3h-iBMTFtbvMBvgB_9BtjfXHYnBSBOtV4M0d3l-d56TI1v4tW6aego4J664xdrnIvb

“You have to believe me when I say I didn’t know Irene was being mistreated,” Johnny said, desperately, as he treaded Seulgi’s heels. While Seulgi handed Irene’s hand to Wendy and Taeil, who helped the quiet woman onto the craft, Seulgi spun around to stop Johhny from going any farther. Seulgi blocked the entrance with her body and placed one hand against the threshold. Where she looked into Johnny’s dark, miserable eyes and sighed. 

“I don’t blame you. I blame myself for not noticing earlier. Take care. If this mission impossible is possible, I’ll see visit again before the year is over.” 

Seulgi wasted no more time on Johnny as she boarded the craft and shut the door behind her. Her abrupt drop-in to rescue Irene told him all that he needed to know. 

He’s alone again and she’ll never return his feelings. 

URCrFsvRqtrzjX5xV3Rd68luD8Uv63OcCyP99E3xODJLoHbud3JU31KOgV9Cu7GkP4faTz3h-iBMTFtbvMBvgB_9BtjfXHYnBSBOtV4M0d3l-d56TI1v4tW6aego4J664xdrnIvb

“The president wants a reunion between Irene’s kind and the people of Rurakin?” Taeil asked, mostly repeating after Seulgi but in the format of a question. 

Seulgi hummed as she and Taeil have fallen behind, waking shoulder to shoulder, while Doyoung and Wendy chased Irene all over the city. Bystanders watched with amusement and awe as Irene freely enter and exit shops, keeping the usual-bickering duo on their toes. Meanwhile, a few questions Irene’s identity since new-faces and strangers are unheard of. 

“He’s given me three days to convince Irene to lead us to those like her, but how do we know Irene is different? Yeah, she breathes fine without an oxygen mask but appearance-wise, she’s exactly like us.”  

Taeil sighed and shook his head briefly, “Whatever she is, it’s being kept from us. The president and chief know something that we don’t and we should find out what that is.” 

A small smile crossed Seulgi’s face as she teased Taeil, “What’s changed? You normally don’t question the higher-ups.” 

Taeil merely shrugged, “Nothing’s changed. I just want to avoid this journey, Team Leader,” 

“Are you really the Taeil I know?” 

“I’m serious,” Taeil said softly, “if the president’s plan is simply to mix two race then he’s succeeded. Irene is here—” 

“No,” the lean woman cut him off sternly, “she won’t be experimented on anymore. I forbid it.” 

Taeil sighed, louder this time, “To maintain longevity and secure a bigger, brighter future, we must know how she does it. It’s been half a millennium and we haven’t figured out why we can’t walk this planet as our ancestors did.” 

“Our ancestors walked this planet?” This was news to Seulgi as she had no recollection of it being in their history books or taught during sessions. 

There was a glint of regret in Taeil’s eyes but before he could respond someone crashed into Seulgi and it knocked her into the water. Taeil’s eyes and mouth were agape with shock until Doyoung and Wendy sandwiched him between them. 

“Oh my gosh, Team Leader!” Wendy cried. 

When Seulgi resurfaced, drying her face with her wet palms, she found Irene keeping herself afloat next to her. And she swore, she’s never seen such a happy smile on Irene’s face before. 

“Irene,” 

Rapidly, Seulgi was interrupted when Wendy got on her hands and knees and started splashing water at them. Although Seulgi wasn’t welcoming of it, Irene shrieked with giggles. She then mimicked Wendy and began splashing the four of them. Her giggles and smile don’t go unnoticed. It melted Seulgi’s rising temper and soon the five of them were having fun laughing, screaming, and wet. 

URCrFsvRqtrzjX5xV3Rd68luD8Uv63OcCyP99E3xODJLoHbud3JU31KOgV9Cu7GkP4faTz3h-iBMTFtbvMBvgB_9BtjfXHYnBSBOtV4M0d3l-d56TI1v4tW6aego4J664xdrnIvb

Alone at her place, Seulgi offered Irene a white towel and blue one-piece that belonged to Seol. Since Irene and Seol were about the same sizes, she figured it’d fit the petite woman and it does. 

“You can change in here or the bathroom. I’ll be in the kitchen fixing us dinner.” Seulgi said. As Seulgi turned to leave, she was held back by a subdued sound. It was Irene’s voice. Like her looks, Irene’s voice was beautiful. Enchanting even. 

“Thank...you…” she murmured. 

Although Seulgi was surprised to hear the woman’s voice for the first time, she tried not to create a scene in order not to frighten her. Though Seulgi had to admit, she would like to hear more of it. The color of Irene’s voice was bright and warm. Mature and sweet. And her first two words did more than satisfied and put a smile on Seulgi’s face. 

It gave her butterflies.