[FINAL]

Second Lead Syndrome (S.L.S.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

——————————————

 

"So, my precious Dahyunnie remained single after all her best efforts? Mina and Dahyun should have been the endgame. What type of crappy film is this?" an upset Sana pulled a scene alone in her living space. She hated every bit of the finale. It shattered her heart to witness something unfair.

 

The confession scene was the most memorable part. It drove Sana nuts as she kept on chanting 'yes' beneath her thick blanket accompanied by a bucket of chocolate ice cream. Near to the end, Dahyun took a bold initiative to kiss an astound Mina under a shelter from the heavy rain outside a nearly closed diner. 

 

Before Dahyun can even reach her lips, Mina instinctively cupped her cheeks. A lengthy clip of them gazing at each other with a melancholy background music starting revealed the predictable outcome on Sana's end. No one tried to speak. The action speaks louder. Mina rubs her thumb on the soft skin, the other, already knew where it's coming to an end - they are best friends since the very beginning after all.

 

Dahyun is that down to earth friend who will sacrifice everything to grant happiness for Mina. Decoding the look in Mina's mesmerising gaze, the contagious tears of Dahyun begin to come out on its own. Sana cried with her - she has a significant impact on her. Her second lead syndrome took a wild twist the moment Dahyun made her appearance in the first scene. With those dreamy eyes where she can read their future together, charming smile that is worth to die for and a gentle personality which makes men more unlikable, Dahyun was someone that needs to be protected, loved and cared. Love at first sight suddenly existed in her dictionary. It was too much to contain.

 

Compare to Jeongyeon, the bad girl, playgirl, cocky type figure, Dahyun is a tender and a complete sensitive person who possesses an infinite worth of beautiful personality traits. Embracing the character made Sana want her to have a meriting closure.

 

"Can writers rewrite everything from start to finish and re-film the entire film with a more authentic feel to it? Most second lead I appreciate never gets an actual partner. if I could tweak it, maybe Dahyunnie can get a proper ending she deserves." Sana can only dream big and hope for the better (unfortunately, she can't write or read fan-fictions to satisfy her needs). She still hasn't recovered yet.

 

Dahyun manages to halt her tears to call her other best friend, Jeongyeon to pick Mina up for a ride home. Whatever happens next, it's up to them to decide. "Idiot, I was checking your eyes. It was red." coughs Dahyun to clear the thick awkwardness.

 

Mina pitied her - she played cluelessly.

 

"Should've told me sooner." which contains double meaning in them. Dahyun understood those two by heart. Mina meant telling her feelings earlier allows her to feel less pain than now. And the other means, she already has Jeongyeon owning her heart and will always view her as her best friend she loves.

 

Being able to finish the entire film was a huge accomplishment. Though, the satisfaction was lower (six rotten tomatoes over ten to highlight the number of love for her Dahyunnie. Cheesy, right?). Sana begins to arrange things up and finds the remote control hiding between the cushions. "Alright, I am done with this." pressing the power button off, the television screen stays lit. Sana shook the remote, hit the remote, and check the battery numerous times every tactic didn't work. Therefore, she attempts to push one of the buttons to the side of the television, although the timing was at the same time when a lightning strike transpired. Sana's petrifying scream covers the full apartment, and the next thing she knew, a blinding light reflected before her sights.

 

Sounds of birds chirping, unusual fresh breeze invading her nostrils and the feeling of hard material mostly on her lower body, felt oddly foreign. Most importantly, her head feels like it's resting on a pillow. She opened one eye, the fluffy pillow is none other than, "KIM DAHYUN?" screamed Sana. Jolting on the bench to find a better view to debunk her constant inquiries in mind, Sana hollers to the girl how on Earth she got here?

 

A sheepish chortle pulls some heartstrings inside of Sana's chest.

 

"Miss, you fainted in the middle of the pathway. I thought I wouldn't make it, but I caught you just in time. Did you at least drink water today?" Dahyun's concern nature kicks in.

 

Taking a minute to think about when she drank water, hesitation brought her to realisation. 


"I ate ice cream. Does that count?"

 

Dahyun finding the answer silly pats Sana's head as punishment. "No, cutie. You should take care of your health."

 

Sana might not get her current state, but Dahyun is one precious bean.

 

Looking lost at the street names written on each sign, her home somehow disappeared; vanished into nothingness; drifted off elsewhere.

 

Due to the growing anxiety, irregular heartbeat and fast breathing begin to torment Sana, worrying a particular follower. "My home—my home is gone. How is that possible?" her voice cracks. She felt a delicate hand repeatedly rubbing her stiff shoulder for comfort.

 

"Have you tried contacting a family member or a friend via mobile phone. They might benefit you." Dahyun recommends. She felt the need to follow her after what happened. 

 

Sana's unexpected appearance truly surprised her. Dahyun is unsure if what she saw looked realistic or her vision was playing unnecessary tricks. Civilians surrounding her should have noticed the unusual glitch, though it was her alone that caught her presence before she collides on the ground and hurt herself without knowing.

 

Arms scanning all over her body to look for her device hits home. "I left my phone in the living room," she mumbles, having a blank look on the face.

 

Dahyun catching her quiet chatter on her own made her decide to assist the helpless stranger. "Want my phone to dial anyone you remember through my phone? It doesn't matter who it is. As long as you're safe."

 

Thinking about it, she did memorise a family member's, and one of her trustworthy friend's number. They dialled the numbers only to be answered by random strangers. To be precise, and confident claiming it's her relatives, Dahyun is beginning to think out of the box.

 

Inside the mind of Sana, her thoughts malfunctioned thinking the impossible possibility of her getting in the movie. She recently moved into her brand-new apartment, so the street name sounds vague for her to recall. Everything that she listed in her smartphone, that's where she relies on the stuff she easily can't remember. As she observes the setting, trying to connect two and two in her capabilities, another big revelation invaded her gut instinct.

 

"Miss...?" Dahyun tilted for a clearer glimpse. Sana looked strangely alarmed.

 

Sana burst. "What year, are we?"

 

"Year? Well, it's 2018." to say those to Sana, it felt like her world crashed.

 

Sana points her fingers back and forth. "Right. Right!" rethinking about it now, the official building construction was at the start of 2019. In this movie, her place hasn't existed even at a slightest.

 

"So, you're from the future?" Sana nods at the title, sipping the fresh coffee that Dahyun made. Dahyun somehow invited her in the house, somewhat feeling some empathy at Sana's complicated situation. It is part of her nature to be considerate; part of her strength to detect a person's tricks if they are speaking the truth; part of her blood to distinguish which are the good and the wrong people. Sana is on the acceptable side. She just has the aura worth to be trusted.

 

"Two years in the future to be exact."

 

To even tell her this is a movie, it would sound unbelievable for the other. Keeping it less complicated is batter that way. This scene could be when Mina plans to visit to complain about Jeongyeon making her life a mess. Both characters have been blackmailing each other to protect their pride. They belong in a high-class family with similar businesses - highly competitive when it comes to the Yoo's and Myoui's. Therefore their behaviour impacts the industry even if it's a lie or not. Meanwhile, Dahyun belongs to a wealthy family as well. The difference is their status is a bit lower but consistent when it comes to gaining profits.

 

"You have a minute to make yourself look good. Mina is coming to visit soon." she washes the mug and puts it in the drying rack.

 

"SHE WHAT?" 

 

It didn't take long for Dahyun to hear a faint knock on the door.

 

"You have got to be kidding me?" Dahyun is questioning how Sana knows about her life, but for now, that should require more thinking at night so pass.

 

Sana plots to take refuge inside the storage room for the meantime. In advance, she asked her to protect their secret for now, and Dahyun coincides with that.

 

Once she opens the door, greetings by a pissed Mina welcomed her. "I'm close to hiring a hitman, Hyoni." Sana hears them, realising this whole time she has been calling Dahyun's real name and not Shin Hyun, Park Hana (Mina) or Jeon Yuna (Jeongyeon). Mina calls her Hyoni because she thought it was cute. Dahyun being a whipped Dahyun may dislike it if others call her that, but for Mina, everything sure is alright.

 

Mina was quick to visit, but also, swift to leave her place (family matters problem). Sana emerged out with a huge grin plastered all over her face to tease the younger something.

 

"You like her, don't you?"

 

Unable to hear any sort of denial from Dahyun meant the answer is undoubtedly a yes. Sana bit the inside of her cheek to maintain her coolness — her fangirl self might get expose. She already can't contain the amount of happiness building up in her chest.

 

"Let me help. I'll be your wingman!" she proudly vows.

 

They sat at the dining area, watching the sunset move downwards with the sunlight shortly falling on their skin. Sana's beauty hits differently — this girl exudes a rather lively aura, a type of character that you can contrast with consuming a fresh can of beverage during the summer in every commercial on television. She gives you that kind of energy; refreshing like Sprite.

 

Quite embarrassed at the following query, Dahyun asked, "How should I address you as?"

 

"Just, Kim Sana. My older version will faint as soon as she finds out another Minatozaki exist." nodding at that, Dahyun chose to let her fate course by itself, despite being unsure of the outcome. She saw it with her own two eyes. Sana doesn't belong in this time frame. Her claims and description were convincing to perceive it, honestly. 

 

Finally knowing her real last name, and changing it into a Kim for her identity to stay hidden, Dahyun is questioning who is the actual Sana - the Minatozaki Sana in her year.

 

To fully trust her once and for all, she dialled her most trustworthy investigator as she allowed Sana to take a night shower. "Hyun! It's pleasant to hear from you again." cheers the person in the other line then begins to ramble about their awful day, to which an unimpressed Dahyun didn't wish to reply.

 

"Listen, before you say something unrelated, I'd like you to investigate someone important." 

 

Seemingly hesitant at the surprising request, the investigator slowly accepts the offer. "Whether you are my relative, and this may be different from all my crime stuff, this is the first time you ask me for a favour so let's hear what you've got, cousin."

 

Xiumin nods throughout the whole story, chewing a piece of bubble gum he found in the drawer. Dahyun hardly lies unless it's a crucial situation. "There is a theory about our wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter