Chapter 5

Spectrum

Jonghyun was stunned by the sudden action but smiled to himself as he heard the motorbike sounds fade. He’d always assumed that he may have to make the first move since Jinki never noticed him. Perhaps he had been mistaken, but this did give him a clear idea of what Jinki could want. All this while, their proximity had helped Jinki realize his feelings, and if they spent more time in getting to know each other, they’d have more than enough sparks to light the fire in their hearts. Suddenly, the mission didn’t seem important anymore. It would certainly be a lot better to go somewhere else, like a museum. Their first date could be when they checked the security, and then they could split the money between them or even spend it together. Why couldn’t they have met under normal circumstances? If Jinki knew the truth, he would certainly despise him for stealing just because he could.

As his vision went back to the usual black and white, Jinki felt a sense of calmness as he rode back home. He had heard the quickness of Jonghyun’s breath when he’d kissed his cheek and had also seen the smile on his face. There was no doubt about the fact that Jonghyun did return his feelings, even if they were about 50% less than his own. Now that they’d become closer to each other, meeting Jonghyun was one thing that Jinki began to look forward to. His pickpocket skills were just the tip of the iceberg, and Jinki couldn’t wait to show him what more he could do. If a mere kiss was able to evoke such emotion, he couldn’t begin to imagine how much of passion he would be able to bring out when he did more. Yet, something seemed to be slightly off about him, and Jinki really couldn’t put his finger on exactly what that was. Though he was always confident, off late, he seemed too confident. If he began to pay more attention to the telltale changes on Jonghyun’s face, Jinki knew he would soon get to the bottom of it all.

Getting his disguise ready for their trip to the museum, Jonghyun smiled at his reflection as he pulled down his eyelid and worked his magic. As long as he was able to surprise Jinki, any discomfort he felt would definitely be worth it. How on Earth did that guy not combust? The clothes made him feel so hot. As he heard Jinki’s bike stop outside the warehouse, he walked out calmly, waiting to see his reaction, and it was completely worth it.

Jinki felt his heart almost jump when he saw what Jonghyun was wearing. A leather jacket that looked oddly similar to his, blue faded jeans under a white vest and heavily lined eyes. For some reason, he couldn’t control his laughter at seeing Jonghyun look like a replica of himself.

“What? Do I look stupid?”

“No, I was just surprised”

“Well, this is my disguise. Also, I have no idea how you can dress like this every day and not combust”

“Should I dress like you then? I don’t think the preppy look would suit me”

“I want to go and change. Wait”

“No, you look good”

Feeling his cheeks become hot at that tiny bit of praise, Jonghyun knew for a fact that he was in too deep, and there was no way to come out of it. Lightly touching Jinki’s broad shoulders as he swung himself onto the Harley, Jonghyun let his hands slide to his strong biceps. Just being so close to him was beginning to make him feel hot, how could he manage to control himself for longer?

Although he pretended as if he didn’t notice anything different, Jinki was really enjoying Jonghyun’s caresses. By this time, Jonghyun’s feelings for him were more than obvious, and he knew for sure that he could certainly make his move. However, it would be a lot more fun to pretend as though he noticed nothing. The museum was beautifully lit, with rows and rows of famous paintings. If they targeted any painting that was famous, there were higher chances of them getting caught. Other than the obvious CCTV cameras, there would certainly be a lot more security measures they had to watch out for. There would certainly be some laser pointers, and judging by Jonghyun’s careful scrutiny of the surrounding, he had spotted something for sure.

“Right there is a motion sensor device, if someone remains too close to any painting for too long, it will sound an alert”

“Then it must be really hard”

“What is your favourite painting?”

“Starry Night by Van Gogh, but it is a very famous one”

“You’re right, the famous ones have a lot more security. How about ‘Starry Night over the Rhone’?”

“It’s pretty”

“I’ll get it for you, Jinki”

Why did he suddenly want to impress Jinki? It made no sense but something within him told him that they belonged together. So far, they certainly seemed to be compatible together, just like the sun and the moon. They had known each other for quite a while now, and maybe this was the right time to make a few changes in their current relationship. If only they had some kind of relationship to speak of. Until now, they’d progressed from being acquaintances to friends, and maybe this was the right time to broach the topic of being something more.

“Jinki, before we leave for the day...can we have dinner together?”

It was surprising for Jonghyun to suddenly be that forward, and this fact pleased Jinki more than anything else could. Nodding curtly in spite of himself, Jinki forced himself not to show any kind of excitement on his face. After all, it wouldn’t be good to seem too keen. Throughout their visit, fate always had them brush their fingers together. Even that simple feeling was more than enough for him to wish they were somewhere more private. Unfortunately, they were forced to focus on the job at hand, which was to collect as much information as they could. It would take a few days to plan their heist, and he was looking forward to their private time. Glancing at Jonghyun’s flushed face, it was plain to see that he was feeling the exact same emotions. It was certainly time for them to leave, but why was he suddenly feeling as nervous as a teenager during his first time?

The tension they felt could almost be sliced with a knife, and Jonghyun was finally convinced that he wasn’t imagining any of this. Unconsciously holding Jinki’s arm when he slipped, he got back onto the motorbike as they left the museum. Forgetting all about their planned dinner, they went back to the warehouse to make notes of everything they’d seen. Unable to look into Jinki’s smouldering gaze, Jonghyun kept his eyes firmly focused on the large whiteboard in front of them, as he wrote down their plans.