Chapter 4

Dunk in Love

The cafeteria was almost empty by the time Mark arrived. He scanned the tables and found Yugyeom’s tall figure sitting at a nearby table.

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” Mark said as he reached the other.

His best friend looked sulky, as he should be because Mark was almost an hour late. He shouldn’t have continued to round two but he just couldn’t say no by the time Jinyoung was already hovering above him, ing into him on the floor with only a bomber jacket as the bed. Or round three when he was bent over the table.

“Really? Park Jinyoung?”

“What?”

“Sit down.”

Yugyeom was mad, his eyebrows knotted and he glared at Mark.

“Who told you that you could just give your to Park ing Jinyoung?”

Mark’s heart dropped. There was no way Yugyeom was referring to the recent event between him and Jinyoung.

“What are you talking about?”

“Seriously? You want to keep it from me? Your best friend?” Yugyeom looked away as if didn’t fully believe what he just said. “How long has it been going on?”

“There’s nothing going on between me and Jinyoung.”

“Yet you ed. Don’t shush me! you should’ve shushed yourself back in the library.”

Mark retreated his hand from trying to quieten Yugyeom down. He was caught red handed by his friend only God knew how. Mark didn’t like it. He wasn’t sure if he made a mistake but it felt like he did. He was ashamed.

“How long has it been going on?” Yugyeom repeated the question.

“Can we not talk about it here?”

“Why? Are you shy? You shouldn’t be. You’re not the only one ever tasted Jinyoung’s here.”

Mark gasped, “Did you guys…?”

“Ew, no! not me. But Park Jinyoung is the biggest player in history. If you create a survey here, I believe 15% of the campus population had ever gone to bed with him.”

That was an exaggeration, no matter how popular someone was that number was impossible unless Jinyoung was a maniac.

“You didn’t know? Of course you wouldn’t know. You’ve been living in a box, you aren’t aware with what’s going on with others. That what makes you an easy target. Gee, I should’ve seen it coming. I should’ve talked to JB about granted Jinyoung’s proposal to personally mentor you.”

“Jinyoung asked to coach me?”

“Of course he did, didn’t you realize he was flirting with you all along? I thought your dull wouldn’t even realize that, yet here we are. Like how many times did he do you?”

“What?!”

“Oh come on. Jinyoung scores every time he dunks. If he had targeted you since day 1, how many times has he ed you by now?”

Mark felt his blood rushed to his face. It wasn’t embarrassment, it was anger.

“You think it’s a game? How easy do you think I am?”

“It’s not what I mean, but I know Jinyoung. And you’ve never had a boy touching you. Please tell me at least he used protection…”

“YUGYEOM. You’re really out of line, here. I’m going home.”

Mark stormed out of the cafeteria in a hurry. He was angry. His afternoon was great, amazing even. Kim Yugyeom just had to ruin it. He didn’t even know anything, how dare he accused him for easily spreading his legs to someone just because he was lonely? And for all Mark knew, the feeling was mutual. Was he that bad in Yugyeom’s eyes that he thought he didn’t deserve to be seen by someone like Jinyoung? And Mark thought he was his best friend.

Mark was rushing he almost bumped into JB when the other guy walked out of the elevator. If he wasn’t agitated at that moment, he would find that moment interesting as it was the first time he saw the other in the building. JB dressed in oversized shirt, his hair styled back, probably was going somewhere, looked as surprised as he was.

“Hey you,” he said, stepping out the lift.

“Hey, finally I get to see you here.”

JB laughed that his eyes disappeared. “It’s actually more like a re-run event.”

“Huh?”

“We met once actually. At that time you also bumped into me, looking like you had been partying all night. If I’m not mistaken that was the day you joined our club.”

Mark’s jaw dropped a little, “It was you?”

“Damn right,” added JB, shoving them to the side as some students were about to ride the elevator.

“I’m sorry I didn’t realize.”

“Meh, never mind. Although it was interesting to see someone so careless. You slept through the elevator ride.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Why do you keep saying you’re sorry? Did you make mistake?”

Mark wasn’t sure, he didn’t exactly know what was happening. He felt too many things at once and it was overwhelming. He remembered why he kept thing to himself. Dealing with people cost him emotional burden that he kept on feeling he made a mistake.

“Oh by the way Yugyeom was looking for you here. Did you see him?"

"Yeah." The guy was judging and that added to Mark’s problem for the day. He missed his solitude. “I think I’m gonna go,” he threw an awkward smile.

"Okay, I’ll see you around?” JB pushed the elevator button for him.

“Sure.”

There was something in the way JB was studying his face. It was a little like Jinyoung and Mark hated to feel exposed. He dashed inside once the door was opened. Not even 2 weeks he interacted with people and he was already struck by this insecurity. He really needed a break from people.

….

Mark had been catching up with Netflix shows to keep his mind out of his problems. He had been passionately criticizing how stupid Stranger Things was despite noone was listening. Still the show was better than Kim Yugyeom's texts repeatedly emphasizing how hooking up with Jinyoung was the worst decision in his life, so he turned off his phone. That guy should had been happy that Mark finally found a guy he liked and seemed to like him back. Jinyoung was great. He’s handsome, talented, and sweet. Not to mention his magical hands that treated his body with care. And his had brought Mark to places he didn’t even know existed. His throat dried remembering the they did that afternoon. the library could never be the same for him again. He had to get that image out of his head before his pants got tighter.

Mark was about to change the channel when he heard a knock on his door. Trying to remember if he ordered a delivery, he approached it. When he opened the door, the sight in front of him was unexpected.

“JB? How do you find my room?”

“Hello to you too, I live next door. Nice to meet you again,” JB waved his hand awkwardly.

Mark raised an eyebrow. He had never pictured to see JB in such a domestic context. It was completely weird. The big guy was in his sweatpants and oversized hoodie. His un-styled hair made him looked soft, a completely different image from the JB he saw in the lobby several hours ago or the JB he knew in general. Aware of the attention, JB put the hoodie over his head.

“I assumed you’re watching stranger things?” JB asked in such an uncertain tone.

“I was. Why?”

“That’s my favorite show, but my TV is under reparation. So if you’re watching it, I wonder if we can catch the show together?” The grin he threw reminded Mark of a soft kitty, “I brought some beers.”

That did it. Mark hadn’t had beers for weeks and he just couldn’t say no to the captain who tried his best to look cute. He took the beer and opened his door wider to let JB in.

“You know that we aren’t allowed to bring alcohol inside the dorm, right?”

“Oh I’m aware, I made the rule. I’m friend with the resident advisor. I convinced him to forbid alcohol inside the dorm.”

Mark looked at him in disbelief.

“What? I was young and naive. I didn’t know that alcohol taste that good. Oh, your room is tidy.”

Despite his initial hesitation, in a matter of seconds, JB familiarized himself in Mark’s bed. Mark offered him marshmallow he was munching before. JB took it and started eating before he was too engrossed in the TV that he couldn’t even swallow anything anymore. He yelped and groaned. Mark was startled when JB suddenly pulled the pillow Mark was leaning on because he was scared the kids were gonna get caught by the monster. He literally cried when his favorite character died. He looked so funny with eyes wet and lips all swolen. Mark was gonna remember that for the rest of his life.

“Stop laughing, will you,” JB said after the show was over for about 10 minutes now. He took the beer can Mark was holding and drank that himself.

“I can’t. That was hilarious. That’s a TV character dying, not your husband who went to the war to defend your country.”

Apparently JB disagreed so he stuffed marshmallows into Mark’s open mouth forcefully. “Nah, you’re crying too now.”

“That’s not counted. I had like 10 marshmallows inside me,” mark said after he swallowed everything.

“Yeah wait until you have my inside you!” JB said before realizing how weird his statement was.

Luckily Mark found something to brush it off. “Why do you like the show that much?”

JB fix his position on the bed, hugging Mark’s pillow. “Isn’t that cool? A group of friends in an adventure together, fighting monster to save the world? Like a group of superheroes. Oh come on! stop laughing already!” he smashed Mark’s head with the pillow.

“Excuse me! it’s my head.”

“Yeah, I’m gonna smash that pretty face out of your head if that’s what it takes to stop you from mocking me. Wow, that’s like the longest sentence I’ve ever made.”

Mark resurrected with hair pointing to many directions. His face red after being buried in his own bed.

“Don’t do that, I can’t process long sentences.”

“Me too, I don’t understand what I was saying.”

“Me too, but at least you said I was pretty.”

They burst into laughter. Funny what alcohol did to your body. If someone told Mark that he’s gonna befriend the cold basketball captain and spend night together on his bed watching movies, he wouldn’t believe it. Damn he was always intimidated by JB’s charisma. But they were really here, laughing about things which weren’t even funny.

When Mark’s laughter finally died down, JB asked, “What about you then? What’s your favorite show?”

It was quite a difficult question for Mark as he had lots of options in mind but he had to choose one which seemed to be acceptable for JB. “Um, The game of thrones?”

“Really? You don’t seem so sure.”

“I don’t know, I like so many programs.”

“Try again. What do you like?”

“Um…You?”

JB's jaw dropped.

“It’s a show.”

“Of course it’s a show," JB coughed.

“I also like the Bigbang theory.”

“Ah, you like the sarcasm? I see. I have to be careful now. I don’t wanna get roasted.”

“No it’s not that,” Mark took the almond pack from near JB’s thigh. “It’s just relatable, to get misunderstood and all. That’s something a nerd like me can relate.”

“See? There you go, sarcasm.”

“Which part?”

“The nerd part,” JB turned to face him now, “Look, there isn’t even an inch of you which screams nerdy. Pretty face, good style, cool attitude. What else do you need?”

“Peace?”

“Yeah we really need the world peace but some presidents wouldn’t agree with us.”

Mark giggled, “I mean, all I want is just for people to leave me alone. Mind their own business and let me live a life which makes me happy. They say don’t sleep in the classroom, it’s not your bed. Don’t in the library, people can see. Don’t fall in love with a popular guy, he’s gonna break your heart. There are just so many rules a guy like me can’t keep up with.”

“Woa, who the hell made all those silly rules. it, Mark. Do whatever you want, it’s your life,” JB opened another beer can.

Mark snatched it before JB’s mouth even touched the lid and drank it.

“Ahhh, yes I’m gonna do whatever I want.”

“And I’m gonna be here whenever you need me as long as I can watch your TV while mine is broken.” JB snatched back the beer and fist bumped Mark's arm.

"And here I am  thinking you care."

"I do, I care about many things but I can always squish you in the list."

Mark chuckled, "Is the club your top list?"

"Yeah, I got scholarship so it's like I have resposibility to always perform well."

Mark stared at the big guy for a good one minute. JB wasn't as handsome as Jinyoung, but he indeed made it up where it counted; broad shoulder you just want to lean on, strong face feature despite the small eyes, and that skin was as clean as porcelain. 

“By the way, how do you like the club so far?”

“It’s good, I learn a lot.”

“That’s good then,” JB went back to munching.

“Can I ask? I heard that Jinyoung asked to mentor me?”

“He did. He said he wanted to stop mentoring newbies but suddenly he asked again. Why? You don’t like him?”

On the contrary, Mark liked him a lot, now even more as he knew Jinyoung was also interested in him.

“I bet a lot of people like him.”

JB laughed, “Not really, most people dislike Park Jinyoung. That guy is a talented player. A lot of guys envy him, a lot of girls who can’t date him hate him.”

“Yeah that makes sense. I really like his voice, he’s gonna make the best bed time story teller ever.”

“Only if he lets you sleep, he’s an evil you know. The second you fall asleep, he's gonna wake you up. If you want to sleep better, you should listen to my playlist. It helps me sleep easily. Where’s my phone?” He went busy with his pockets. “I think I left it in my room. Wait a second.”

And with that, after stumbling with his slippers, JB disappeared. Maybe not completely gone as Mark could hear him next door. The stomps of his feet and the thumping sound when he probably bumped into something. As the sounds got louder, Mark could expect the second JB entered his room again.

“You aren’t usually that loud,” said Mark smiling.

“Sorry, I got excited,” JB’s eyes disappeared when he smiled back cheerfully.

Maybe that was the cause of all those thumping sounds: he got too excited he couldn’t even see things.

“Do you have charger? I don’t have much battery left.”

“It’s on my desk, just unplug my phone.”

“Okay, I'm giving you the ticket for the game as well."

Mark watched JB placing a piece of glossy paper on his desk. At least he didn't ask him to make a report like Jinyoung.

"You really have a lot of comic books, I need to borrow it sometimes. OH..!”

“What?”

JB showed him a red bracelet, “What’s this?”

“That’s a luck bracelet”

“Does it work?”

“Maybe, I don’t know.” He wanted to say yes as he got to meet Jinyoung the day he wore the bracelet.

“Will it work if someone else borrows it?”

“Maybe.”

“Can I borrow it then? For the game?”

Mark was contemplating his answer but ended up nodded as he was convinced there was no way JB would absorb all the luck which was supposed to be his.

“Sweet! Now I’ll let you listen to my playlist."