[ONE]

i'll spend forever wondering if you knew (i was enchanted to meet you)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyunjin likes being behind the camera. She likes looking at beauty and framing it the way she sees it, portraying it in such a way that anybody looking could only gape in awe at her photos. 

 

She has photographed models before. They were her favorite subjects to photograph. Humans are an art to her—messy, but still, beautiful in all of their limbs that tell their stories and expressions that spoke their emotions without words. 

 

“Beautiful! Just turn your head the slightest bit to your left.”

 

The light hits all of the right places when the model follows her instructions, her eyes closed, and head tilted to show her defined jawline. 

 

“Alright, Chaewon, one more outfit change and you’ll be done for the day.”

 

The girl in front of her relaxes her shoulders, smiles before bowing, and leaves to change into her final outfit. Reviewing the shots she has just taken, Hyunjin feels a burst of pride bubble in her chest. 

 

She had captured Chaewon well. The model had a certain aura in front of the camera—unobtainable and lofty in the best way possible. Almost condescending and superior. Sometimes, models have to search for their brand, their look, but, Chaewon seemed to have it in her innately whenever she stepped in front of a camera for pictures. 

 

Smiling to herself, Hyunjin shook her head at how the model was vastly different from her image. In real life, as Hyunjin has come to learn after photographing her for prior shoots, the girl was goofy and sweet after breaking out of her shy shell. Chaewon had a charming crooked smile and bright eyes when she laughed. Where she looks composed and cold in front of the camera, she enchants those who look. She catches attention with her poised expression and keeps them there with her cold and empty eyes (they always told a story that had people eager to learn more). Behind the camera, however, she is warmer, her eyes full of life. 

 

Granted, Chaewon did the bulk of Hyunjin’s job by modeling so well, but, Hyunjin has the affirmation that she elevates her performance, that she shows Chaewon exactly the way she wants to be shown. 

 

When the model comes back, she is dressed in a pretty yellow dress with white frills at the Peter Pan collar. Photographing Chaewon, there is something haunting about the contrast of the bright and lively color of her dress between her lifeless eyes and the grim line her lips sit in. 

 

Chaewon is a box of juxtaposition and paralleled lines that will never meet, no matter how similar. Every single part of her shots tells a story, down from the lighting to how she instructs Chaewon to pose.

 

It’s what makes Hyunjin so good. She can tell a story without words just as Chaewon can do the same with her body. 

 

After Chaewon leaves in her comfy clothes and crooked smile following her, Hyunjin can only review the pictures and beam.

 

Humans are an art, and certainly, Chaewon is one to admire.

 

~.~.~

 

Smelling the coffee in front of her and breathing in a sense of life into her sleepy body and mind, Hyunjin almost melts into the seat of her chair. In front of her, scattered pictures from Chaewon’s shoot from a couple of days ago decorate the desktop of her laptop. 

 

“How did Chaewon’s shoot go?”

 

Sliding into her seat, Jungeun holds four cream cups and two packets of sugar in her hand. Sipping her coffee and grimacing, Jungeun quickly opens the cream cups and sugar packets before dumping them into her coffee. (Today would not be the day that she drinks coffee the way it’s meant to be drunk, bitter and dark).

 

“Perfect. She always does a good job.”

 

Jungeun smiles fondly before drinking her coffee again and smiling in bliss—sugary and sweet just the way she likes it. “I remember her first gig. She was so nervous and awkward at first, but after shaking it off, it was like watching a completely new person.”

 

Hyunjin hums and smiles at the thought. Jungeun had been the first photographer Chaewon worked with. Usually, her friend is stern and serious behind the camera, completely focused on finishing her job well. But, Jungeun could sense Chaewon’s nerves the moment she stepped into the studio with her hesitant steps and quiet voice, her eyes bouncing from wall to wall to ease the tension in her body. Making the effort to smile warmly at the model before making herself busy with her preparation, she strove to become a friend in Chaewon’s eyes—warm and patient instead of her usual cold and authoritative self. It had been rough at the start, but the photographer could clearly remember the moment Chaewon had risen to the occasion. The way she trained her eyes at camera, how she commanded her body, and how she began to radiate confidence gave Jungeun goosebumps behind the camera. 

 

To this day, it was one of the shoots that people lauded the most even if Chaewon had countless gigs after Jungeun. 

 

“Jiwoo’s been talking my ear off about this new model that’s been making a name for herself. If I didn’t know that Jiwoo would literally find a way to bring home the moon for me if I wanted her to, I’d be jealous.”

 

Jungeun had met Jiwoo at an exhibition three years ago and if Jungeun hadn’t forgotten to ask for her number the night of meeting her, they would have been dating for just as long. Nonetheless, the photographer had gotten lost within their conversation and Jiwoo had been whisked away by her agent before she could even ask. Jungeun spent weeks moping about losing the chance of getting Jiwoo’s number until Hyunjin had snapped at her after her second week of mourning. They had been shacked up at Hyunjin’s place watching some K-Drama, a bowl of popcorn on Hyunjin’s lap when the younger girl almost snapped her neck to scold Jungeun.

 

“Holy , Jungeun. Just find her Instagram account and DM her.”

 

Jungeun whines again and puts her head on her friend’s shoulder, “What if she doesn’t remember me? Or what if she was just being polite at the party and talking to me because I was lonely? Oh God, what if I annoyed her that night? She wouldn’t want to talk to me, oh my God, I’m so dumb.”

 

Sighing deeply, enough for Jungeun’s head to rise noticeably with her shoulders, Hyunjin runs a hand through the other girl’s hair and begs all of the patience in her to not fail her, “It’s better to try than not at all. Don’t let yourself sit in the discomfort of not knowing. You’ll only torture yourself, you dumb dumb.”

 

Snuggling ever the slightest bit into Hyunjin’s shoulder, the smile on Jungeun’s lips is teasing but soft. 

 

“Heh, you really care for me, huh?”

 

Hyunjin rolls her eyes and laughs before leaning her head on Jungeun’s. 

 

“Shut up. I just couldn’t take your whining anymore.”

 

Laughing, Jungeun pulls out her phone and searches for Jiwoo on Instagram, “You act as if you didn’t like me too once upon a time. You even dated me!”

 

Hyunjin closes her eyes, almost like a grimace, “Hey! You’re the one who confessed. And plus, I clearly didn’t know what I was thinking.”

 

Jungeun jerks her head up in offense and puts her hand on her heart in mock pain, “If I remember correctly, you even swooned!”

 

The other girl crosses her arms and turns her head away, as if being indifferent. “Anyone would swoon if you confessed to them.” Adopting her friend’s tone and mimicking her, Hyunjin reanimates the moment when she tucks her hair behind her ear and ducks her head, lifting her eyes the slightest bit—the perfect imitation of Jungeun confessing to her best friend back in high school. 

 

“Before, I didn’t have the courage so I couldn’t tell you, but I waited a long time for you.” Fiddling with her hands and ignoring how Jungeun starts to screech with embarrassment, “Kim Hyunjin, I like you. It might sound weird, but when you were away, a lot of people confessed to me. But, seeing them made me want to do the same. I wanted to be honest.”

 

At this point, Jungeun’s hands are on her ears as she shakes her head, tears coming from her eyes from laughing too hard when Hyunjin continues, “I’m not saying we should go out now—I just wanted to let you know how I felt.”

 

Holding her stomach from how it aches after all of the laughing and hiding her flushed cheeks, she brings her legs close to her chest as she rests her chin on them and softly speaks when her laughing fades, “You said you liked me too.”

 

When Hyunjin relaxes into the couch and closes her eyes, her voice is soft too. Fond. “I did like you. A lot. I tried confessing so many times, but it never went the way I planned. And then you just went for it and there we were.”

 

Jungeun sighs and looks at her blinking cursor, the page for Jiwoo’s DM staring blankly at her. “I’m glad that we dated to figure out we were better off as friends.”

 

Hyunjin stops flipping through the channels of their TV and takes the time to really look at her friend. 

 

Jungeun had been Hyunjin’s friend since middle school. She grew out her horrid years of trying to fit in with a crowd that wasn’t meant for her, stayed by her in high school while she figured out what she liked—who she liked—all while cheering for her while Hyunjin competed in various sports. Following Hyunjin to college and coincidentally majoring in Photography and minoring in Journalism with her, the universe had their lives measured up together. Hyunjin supposes that if there was one single person who knew her better than herself, it’d be Jungeun. She was everything Hyunjin needed in different parts of her life—a friend, a lover, a confidant.  

 

(There couldn’t be anyone else who Hyunjin would have wanted or needed when she was growing up. But she grew. So did Jungeun. Instead of becoming what the other needed, they became what they wanted. Dating Jungeun had been good. It showed Hyunjin what being truly loved felt like. Still, time showed that they weren’t the ones to fill each other’s respective hearts.

 

Yes, Hyunjin is glad she tried it with Jungeun.

 

She’d never regret that. And neither would Jungeun).

 

“Hurry up and message her. You never know what it could do.”

 

And so, Jungeun did.

 

kim_jungeun98: Hi Jiwoo! It’s Jungeun! We met at the exhibition a couple of weeks ago and I’m really hoping you remember me, but, if you don’t and this is weird, just leave me on read and I’ll get the message. Either way, I really liked talking with you that night and I was wondering if we could get coffee some time? 

 

On Jungeun’s fourth phone check (within that same hour), a part of her deflates when “Seen” appears under her message.

 

At least she tried right?

 

Before she can lock her phone, a grey speech bubble pops into a message littered with happy emojis.

 

jiwoo_0_ : i remember you! i’m really glad you found me bc i couldnt find you at all :,(

jiwoo_0_ : and i would Love to get coffee with you :D

jiwoo_0_ : is friday good with you???

 

Unable to stop the beaming smile that erupts from her lips, Jungeun throws her head back in relief before typing again.

 

kim_jungeun98: Friday is perfect :] 

 

Forcing herself to think, Hyunjin comes up empty, “There are always new models trying to make a name for themselves—you gotta be specific with me.” 

 

Jungeun quickly searches through her phone and flips it to show Hyunjin, “Her name is Jeon Heejin. She has always been modelling but she officially started almost a year ago. She scored a gig with innisfree in her first couple of months—that’s how good she is.”

 

She’s gorgeous. Hyunjin surmises that, of course, she’s gorgeous. She’s a model for God’s sake. 

 

Hyunjin doesn’t know if Heejin was just that beautiful or if she just photographed extremely well, “She’s pretty. And it looks like she knows what to do in front of a camera.”

 

“Don’t you wanna work with her?”

 

Hyunjin hums a bit and imagines working with her.

 

She could be pleasant and warm, kind and receptive. Or, she could be snooty and pretentious like other models that Hyunjin has worked with that achieved stardom quickly.

 

A pretty smile and good photos are more than enough to hide a ty personality. (It’s always hard to work with models that looked at their staff and Hyunjin’s down the nose. Quite frankly, it was aggravating to work with models that stuck their heads too far up their asses, but, it’s not like Hyunjin could argue or complain to anyone but Jungeun and her coworkers—she is making money after all).

 

“If she’s not a total , sure. It’d be cool.”

 

Jungeun slings her arms on the head of the chair next to her and takes a gulp of her coffee, “I have it on good word that she is as pleasant as daisies.”

 

Hyunjin raises an eyebrow and briefly looks up from her screen to catch Jungeun’s eyes, “Jiwoo’s word?”

 

Her friend nods her head in absolute resolution. “I did say good, didn’t I?”

 

Shutting her laptop, packing it, and killing the rest of her coffee, Hyunjin shrugs on her jacket before scoffing playfully, “Shut up, loser. I’ll see you later?”

 

Jungeun waves her hand and hurries a reply before drinking her coffee again, “Jiwoo’s expecting you at dinner so you better!”

 

~.~.~

 

Her shoot tonight is outdoors—it’s chilly and unconventional, but, Hyunjin likes the challenge, likes branching out to establish herself as a lucrative asset. She is setting up her camera when there is a light tap on her shoulder.

 

“Miss Hyejoo, the designer wants you to wear this instead.”

 

Turning around with mild confusion on her face, the intern seems to go into shock before apologizing profusely, “I’m so sorry Miss Hyunjin! You and Miss Hyejoo look so similar from the back; I mistook you for her.” Before the girl can bow in apology, Hyunjin is laughing and reassuring her.

 

“Yeojin, it’s okay! It could happen! But hurry and tell Hyejoo before they send her out.”

 

Bowing again in courtesy, Hyunjin only barely adds in, “And please call me Hyunjin! Being called “Miss” makes me feel old!” When Yeojin smiles back at her, the photographer likes the unbridled youth and innocence in her eyes. The industry has not killed her soul yet—Hyunjin wants to protect that.

 

Sidling up to the girl setting up the lights for the photoshoot, Hyunjin helps her adjust the height of it when she can’t quite reach, “You ready for this one? It’s really different from what we usually do.”

 

Haseul smiles that charming grin she always smiles, “Yup! I know we can finish up well! I can feel that this one is going to be amazing.”

 

(Haseul has always been so passionate and selfless with her job. She’d work to her greatest effort in the hardest of conditions with a smile on her face, thankful for having a job at all. Hyunjin thinks that if everyone had Haseul’s heart, work would be more than just work—it’d be a living to be happy to go to. 

 

But then again, that was what made Haseul so special. Her heart is unlike any other Hyunjin has met).

 

“Hyejoo takes her job seriously and works well with us. I think we’ll be more than okay.”

 

Hyejoo had been one of Hyunjin’s first gigs. Hyunjin was that for the model too. Both nervous to do well to impress their superiors, they had the drive to perform and stand out. (Which, they had. Spectacularly. And still do).

 

When Hyejoo comes out from the dressing room in tight black pants, a white turtleneck, and a blaring red leather jacket, Hyunjin can already feel the aura around them intensify—can feel a certain chill breeze by. Hyejoo has a knack for becoming the energy in the room whenever she wants to. Outside of work when she is not modeling, she is relaxed and easy to please, only needing a game and a controller in her hands to be happy. Yet, when she is in the mindset to model, she assumes her brand like it is her identity. 

 

She exudes darkness and an addicting discomfort. She commands attention with her silence. Her eyes could be scathing and her body rigid with tension. She has the ability to intimidate Hyunjin behind her camera and change the feeling of the entire photoshoot—make Hyunjin feel like she has done Hyejoo wrong, that she is not just a photographer taking shots of a model. Hyunjin knows that that was what elevated Hyejoo compared to her fellow peers—no one could command a room like Hyejoo. 

 

Smiling when she welcomes Hyejoo, the model smiles back and the air around her seems a little warmer, “Good to be working with you again, Hyejoo. You ready to set fire to some things?”

 

The smile on Hyejoo’s lips shapes into a broader grin, mischievous and scheming, “It’s not every day I get to hold a torch of fire. I am more than ready.”

 

Pointing at the area in front of the camera, Hyunjin instructs the model, “My crew is going to hand you the torch. Keep it pointed down at all times unless I tell you to do differently. When I ask you to lift your arm, do it slowly and keep it at full extension and away from your body.”

 

When Hyejoo nods eagerly, Hyunjin thinks that not many models would be so brave and excited to hold fire in their hands. Looking around, the model sees various crew members holding fire extinguishers and various first aid. Quipping at the photographer when a crew member hands her the torch, “You sure I’m not gonna burn?”

 

Hyunjin looks up from her camera with a smirk on her lips, “Pinky promise.”

 

When Haseul approaches her with a warm smile and a lighter, she soothes the model for extra reassurance, “Hyunjin’s got everything covered and if you ever feel uncomfortable, let us know, slowly put the torch down, and we’ll take a break.” When Hyejoo nods, Haseul clicks the lighter open, “I’m gonna light this, okay?” Hyejoo nods again before closing her eyes. When she opens them, the air around them gets tight, her eyes demanding power and destruction, a glow of hot orange from the fire now grazing her skin.

 

Recognizing the change in Hyejoo’s eyes, Hyunjin begins the photoshoot. Only needing to instruct Hyejoo to raise her arm, Hyunjin feels goosebumps on her arms when the model looks straight down the lens of her camera with her cold and steely glare.

 

Before the shoot can end, Hyunjin instructs the girl to throw the torch for a touch of flare for the last set of pictures. Lost in the character that she plays in front of the camera, like a surge of restrained anger, Hyejoo launches the torch into open air. Letting go of it, she feels a weight leave her shoulders, the tension in them melting away like ice on a hot day. When the staff quickly extinguishes the torch and any fires that came of it after Hyunjin signified the end of the photoshoot, the older girl can only clap from behind the camera.

 

“Hyejoo, I think this might be your best shoot yet.”

 

The girl smirks, confident and proud because she knows it is her best work yet, “Can’t wait to see what you came up with, Hyunjin.”

 

Hyunjin looks at the monitor set up to view the model’s pictures. When Hyejoo stands beside her, Hyunjin feels pressure sitting on her chest. Hyejoo was exceptional; Hyunjin hopes that she measured up to her performance—it would only be fair that she executed her job just as well as Hyejoo did. 

 

The girl can only gape at the screen in awe.

 

“I knew that this shoot was going to be crazy, but, oh my God, Hyunjin, the pictures are mind blowing.”

 

Internally sighing and patting herself on the back, Hyunjin playfully bumps Hyejoo’s shoulder, “It looks this cool because you were that cool. I only captured the moments.”

 

Hyejoo scoffs teasingly, “Move your modesty over and owe up to your skill, Hyun. You did a great job.”

 

Hyunjin flushes at the compliment and smiles before Hyejoo leaves to her trailer to change into her comfortable clothes.

 

Yeah, Haseul was right. (Of course, she was right. She’s Haseul). This shoot was amazing. More than amazing.

 

After having dinner with Jiwoo and Jungeun (and third-wheeling as she usually does), Hyunjin lies in bed that night and thinks about her day. She can’t help but to think that she has the best ing job in the entire universe.

 

~.~.~

 

Walking into her office building with Jungeun and her laptop bag tucked under her arm, it’s not uncommon to see Jinsol perched at Vivi’s desk when she arrives at her own desk. 

 

(Vivi and Jinsol were Hyunjin’s favorite journalists and editors for the editorial company she worked at. While Jungeun worked with Jinsol more frequently and Hyunjin with Vivi, the writers proved to her that they could beautify the simplest of moments. They had a knack of framing moments to enhance the pictures taken and the subjects in them without taking attention away from them).

 

Noticing the two girls approaching them, Jinsol’s cheery smile welcomes them, the proud slow drawl of her voice warming Hyunjin’s heart when she speaks to her, “I just saw your shots of Hyejoo and, holy , Hyun, they’re incredible! I’m so happy I get to write this article for you.”

 

The flustered grin that Hyunjin adopts is inevitable when Vivi and Jungeun compliment her too. Setting up at her desk while listening to her coworkers talk, a familiar name comes into conversation.

 

“Did you hear? Boss Woman’s trying to get Jeon Heejin for a photoshoot.”

 

Vivi nods excitedly. (Hyunjin likes how her eyes turn into crescents when she smiles). “Everyone’s been wanting her lately. I mean, I get it because she’s so pretty and has shown that she can do multiple concepts extremely well. People say that she’s an absolute dream to work with.”

 

Jinsol vocalizes an agreement, “Yerim met her once at the grocery store and she said that Heejin had no makeup on and that she was just as pretty in real life and that she was really sweet.”

 

(God, it’s like everyone in the world has heard of Jeon Heejin before Hyunjin.

 

What was so great about this model? How did she capture the hearts of thousands, even millions, this easily and so early on into her career? More than anything, Hyunjin wants to find out).

 

Before Hyunjin can fully settle in at her desk, the commanding sound of heels clicking at the floor gather her attention. In full glory, suited and powerful, the woman who took a chance on Hyunjin and employed her stands by her workspace with a proud smirk. Standing up from her seat to bow, her boss waves her hand in friendly dismissal. 

 

“Miss Kim, good morning!”

 

“Good morning, everyone. I am very proud to announce that we will be working with Ha Sooyoung and Jeon Heejin. If you haven’t been living under a rock, you’d know that Heejin is becoming a notable name in the modeling industry.”

 

(Jungeun nudges at Hyunjin to . So what if she hadn’t heard of the model until this week? Hyunjin likes to blame it on how busy she has been, working on multiple gigs a week, sometimes more than one in a day).

 

“Ha Sooyoung has always been someone we strove to work with so do not waste this opportunity. I can trust you, Jungeun, to show what we are capable of as a company. Do not let me down.”

 

The photographer nods in resolution, takes the opportunity as a great honor. (Kim Sojung has been diligently working to assert her company as a valuable and lucrative brand. Fulfilling expectations and exceeding what her peers and competition could ever have for her, persuading Ha Sooyoung’s agency to collaborate with her was a winning game).

 

“Hyunjin, I trust that Heejin can rely on you to capture her well. Just because she is generating a ton of attention to her name very rapidly doesn’t mean she knows the in’s and out’s of this industry and her craft. We would like to establish a lasting relationship with her and her agency—that would benefit both of us greatly.”

 

Nodding in a slight bow, Hyunjin wants to do more than impress her boss and the people who will look at her work. She has Heejin to impress too. 

 

(Hyunjin hopes Heejin can live up to her reputation—it’d be a crushing disappointment if she failed to do so).

 

Taking it upon herself as a responsibility to research the model she will work with in the future, the tabs of her browser shrink into centimeters by the sheer amount of content published and produced with Jeon Heejin’s name on it. From pictures of a photoshoot to behind the scene videos of her working, Hyunjin notes her strengths and weaknesses. 

 

Heejin has a good grasp on her body and how to express her story with it. She has a good sense of what to do with her face in certain concepts, how to smile, whether or not she wants to glare at the camera. While there were some shots that appeared to be awkward or unfitting with the theme, Hyunjin knows that she’ll have no problem smoothing those problems over when she works with her. 

 

(If someone asked Hyunjin, subjectively speaking, she’d say that the model was probably one of the most beautiful women she has ever seen. 

 

Objectively speaking, well, there’d be no denying that Heejin had impossible beauty).

 

When Jungeun rolls to Hyunjin’s desk on her chair and looks over her shoulder at her laptop and her copious tabs opened, Hyunjin can already expect the nuisance that she will be, “Thinking about stanning Heejin or something?”

 

Hyunjin rolls her eyes before scoffing, “You know I like researching on whoever I’m going to be working with.”

 

Jungeun laughs, too knowingly for Hyunjin’s taste, “Whatever you say, Hyun!”

 

(Jungeun did know Hyunjin better than anyone else in the world. Perhaps, she is justified in the way that she laughs—as if she’s waiting for Hyunjin to realize something).

 

Something in Jungeun just knew that this was going to be different, that Heejin is going to be different. Pushed back to her desk by Hyunjin, the girl shoots off a text to her girlfriend before going back to work. 

 

Kim Moomin :3 : Bet a dinner and a massage that Hyunjin’s gonna fall for Heejin but it’s gonna take her at least 3 months to ask her out.

 

Jiwooming <3 : isn’t it unfair that you’ve been friends with hyun for years??? i bet you know her better than her own family >:(

Jiwooming <3 : but fine 

Jiwooming <3 : i bet heejin’s gonna ask her out first bc hyunjin’s too scared to ask a pretty girl out :P

 

~.~.~

 

Hyunjin had to thank her set designers and scouts for their spectacular work. For this photoshoot, they had found a lush and bountiful garden decorated with hedges of dark green leaves, rows and rows of flowers, and mesmerizing rose gardens to follow. 

 

It was soothing to just stand in the field of grass and breathe—to take in the gentle breeze and the feeling of the sun kissing her skin. If Hyunjin wasn’t working, she’d like to take the time to settle under one of the trees and read a book or take pictures of the nature around her. 

 

Breaking her out of her revere, Haseul’s voice is bright and warm, a welcomed interruption. “It’s so beautiful here.” Hyunjin nods in agreement as she checks on her camera while the older girl went on. “I suppose our team had to find a place fitting of our model today. I’ve been looking forward to working with Heejin. Vivi’s been bothering me about it enough that I think she’d beat me up to take my spot if she wasn’t in love with me. Even then. Only barely.”

 

Giggling, like a baby if anyone asked Haseul, Hyunjin scans the garden ahead of her to imagine a ghost of her blueprint for the photoshoot. “Heejin this, Heejin that. I’m looking forward to seeing this girl in action. See if she’s really as good and sweet as everyone says.”

 

Haseul hums while she watches a white bird settle on the branch of a tree nearby, “Well, she’s good enough for Miss Kim to want her. That should say enough.”

 

And it certainly did, but that didn’t mean Hyunjin didn’t want to see Heejin working her magic in person. And if humans were an art to Hyunjin, she would want to see this one with her own eyes.

 

Looking at the watch on her wrist, Hyunjin hoped that Heejin would be ready soon. If they wanted to catch golden hour at an opportune time, the photoshoot should begin as soon as possible. 

 

“I know you’re worried about the time, Hyun, but it’ll be okay! Heejin is just about done so we can start as soon as she steps-”

 

Before Haseul can finish comforting Hyunjin, a high-pitched yelp and whining interrupts them. Following the sound, Jeon Heejin sits crouched and covering her head. Hearing Haseul beside her, Hyunjin can sense the slight discomfort in her voice, “Oh my God, there are so many birds.” Looking next to her, Hyunjin can barely catch Haseul’s body shiver at the sight. 

 

Without thinking twice, Hyunjin begins to approach the model. 

 

Confident step after confident step, the birds flock away when they sense her arrival. As their wings make the fluttering flapping sound, Heejin yelps once more, burying her head under her arms.

 

Hyunjin makes a note, Heejin, afraid of birds, before sticking her hand out in greeting.

 

“Kim Hyunjin, pleasure to finally meet you, Jeon Heejin.”

 

Royally embarrassed—Hyunjin can tell by her pink flushed cheeks—Heejin dusts off her dress and clears before speaking, “Nice to meet you, Hyunjin. Thank you for working with me.”

 

(Hyunjin thinks it’s kind of cute when Heejin’s eyes widened at her appearance, as if in shock. Same with her blushing cheeks—it’s endearing.

 

Hyunjin is beginning to get it now; why Heejin could warm her way into anyone’s heart).

 

(It’s those big bright eyes, the mole by them, and how her lips curve into an awkward smile). 

 

“Let’s not delay any longer, Heejin. If we want to get the best out of this shoot, we need to start now. Can I have you by that hedge over where Haseul is at?”

 

Vocalizing her agreement before bowing to her and later bowing to Haseul when she meets her, it’s been a while since Hyunjin has met someone so polite. (It’s not just Haseul she bows to—to the entirety of the crew that she makes eye contact with, it’s as if her body bows subconsciously, genuine, big, and bright smile to show her appreciation).

 

Maybe Heejin is just that pleasant to work with.

 

Getting behind her camera and looking into the lens, it’s as if Heejin transformed into the likes of a Greek goddess in the time that it took for her to get to her position. Elegant and poised, gentle, but still, seemingly untouchable in her grace. Her lips just slightly open, her eyes looking far away, it’s as if she is lost, searching for orientation, hope, and something that can never quite be found. At the slightest adjustment with her hands meeting to hold each other in front of her body, her expression begins to tell another story. Like a queen looking over her kingdom, wistful and ever so regretful, it’s as if she mourns over something she could never begin to reach.

 

(So not only is Heejin impossibly beautiful in person, she also is one of the most exceptional models Hyunjin has ever had the pleasure of working with. She’s a treasure, a miracle even).

 

Never really needing to look over her camera to ask for another pose, Hyunjin makes up for what Heejin can't control. Adjusting her position and instructing Haseul to fiddle with the lights as the sun moves, Hyunjin only gives advice on ways to relax Heejin’s body, her shoulders tight with tension. 

 

“Heejin, you’re doing amazing so far, but take a deep breath for me. Loosen your shoulders and let them relax. Your expressions aren’t matching the rest of your body so do your best to release your nerves.”

 

As Heejin heaves in a breath of air, her shoulders relaxing as she does, her eyes close to reign in her nerves.

 

The photo that Hyunjin takes of that moment is breathtaking—Hyunjin doesn’t need to review it on her computer to know that. Call it intuition, skill, or mere guessing, Hyunjin would put her entire career on the line to gamble that that shot might be one of the best she will take for this photoshoot. 

 

Various positions and settings later, the sun begins to set, a chill making itself present.

 

Putting her camera down and smiling at the model, Hyunjin checks her watch before speaking, “We have one more big portion to do. Would you like a break before getting changed for it?”

 

Heejin nods her head gratefully, needing a slight break from the camera. While Hyunjin begins to pack up her equipment, Heejin shrugs on the big parka her manager has ready for her. Watching the photographer, Heejin likes how Hyunjin dances around her space with grace like a practiced dance.

 

“How long have you been doing this? Photographing?”

 

Looking up from her camera in surprise, not expecting Heejin to linger by her, “Officially, four, but I’ve always been into photography. It was something I wanted to do the moment I really understood what cameras could do.”

 

Heejin likes how Hyunjin’s eyes spark to life when she talks about her profession—likes how she is so passionate. 

 

It’s always refreshing to work with someone who really cares. 

 

“And what is it that cameras do for you? Yes, they take pictures, but I feel like it has to mean more for you to be so passionate about it.”

 

Subconsciously, Hyunjin’s eyebrows raise.

 

Hyunjin hasn’t met a model that cared about what she did so much. It’s as fascinating as it is invigorating. “It’s more than just memories to me. It’s capturing art—no matter how messy or beautiful the subject is, making it into art is what I love about photography.”

 

A corner of Heejin’s lips rise in a subconscious smile, “So why models?”

 

Hyunjin stops packing up to really focus on Heejin. She can feel that the girl’s inquisitiveness is more than just formal politeness—it’s genuine interest and intrigue. 

 

“Models are expected to be perfect for the camera. They are the standards for beauty, the epitome of human existence. But, that’s just it. Models are just as human as me and the people looking at the pictures that I take. They are just as flawed, just as conditioned to living as everyone else. What makes them so interesting is that we beautify them to be flawless, yet, if you look close enough, if the model does their job well, there should be a story of conflict, flaws. It’s more than just consumerism and advertising. It’s the story you have as a character and how we tell it as partners.”

 

Before Heejin can reply, the sound of her stylists calling for her takes her away. Instead of leaving just as they call for her, Heejin shrugs off her parka. Rather than giving it to her manager who awaits her by the arch of the door leading to the building of the next location, she hands it to Hyunjin, just the slightest bit of shyness showing in her eyes.

 

“It’s really cold out and you still have a lot to pack up. Please take this.” Before Hyunjin can even refuse her offer, the model is hurrying back inside to get ready for the next part of the shoot. Even as Heejin disappears from her vision, the thought of her is still present in her mind. Wearing the parka now, Hyunjin hates how the lingering smell of the girl makes her shoulders melt in relaxation.

 

The last person that made her this gooey inside was Jungeun. It has only been hours being with Heejin, only been a single conversation of substance held with her. 

 

Hyunjin doesn’t like how Heejin already has so much power over her. It’s concerning. It’s too much. 

 

It’s too much when she has a career to focus on, a future to build, a name to make and maintain.

 

No, entertaining the thought of Heejin in her life would be too much. If Heejin ever followed the path Jungeun carved, Hyunjin would have to give her all of her time because that was the kind of person Hyunjin was, would need to care for her almost unconditionally. (Love her almost unconditionally). Indeed, Heejin is not right for her. Not when everything Hyunjin does is so consuming. 

 

(Hyunjin knows that there is a part within her that she despises. It’s the part of her that thinks that she is not right for Heejin. It’s damning insecurity and the darkest part of her mind—it’s the ing plague to her esteem). 

 

Taking off Heejin’s parka, the chill that runs through her body is freezing and makes her feel empty.

 

It has to be the frigid wind. 

 

It can’t be anything more.

 

Stopping Hyunjin from losing herself to her thoughts, Haseul nudges her lightly with concern in her eyes. Shaking her head as if to wordlessly say, “I’m okay,” Haseul only raises an eyebrow before leaving Hyunjin be. (Hyunjin could be terribly stubborn when she wanted to be. Forcing her to talk would only bring unwanted messes).

 

Setting up inside now, Hyunjin takes a moment to fully appreciate the work of her set designers. What was once a mundane studio was now an ornate room with a pristine white bed at the central focus of the shoot. Adjusting the height of her camera, the steady sound of heels magnetizes her attention to the girl wearing them.

 

Seeing Heejin, she is like the coming of ethereality itself. With her hair in an elegant bun, her earrings dainty pearls, and in white dress that is long in the back but tapered at the front, Heejin is a divine vision. As she spins in request of Haseul complimenting her, the open back of her dress steals any hope of air Hyunjin has left.

 

She is breathtaking. Absolutely and utterly breathtaking. So much that Hyunjin thinks that no one in the universe could ever possibly deserve to set their eyes on such a beautiful sight. The aestheticians of every generation, hell, any universe, could never account for Heejin, could never wrap their minds around such a heavenly magnificence.

 

(God, the way her heart is ing pounding is unearthly. Hyunjin can’t stop herself from thinking that Jungeun never made her feel this way even when they were dating despite this moment feeling like the moment when she first saw Jungeun walking out of her room for their prom night in her elegant dress. She had looked gorgeous that night, but somehow, Heejin makes her pale in comparison).

 

(Hyunjin wouldn’t tell Jungeun that though. If but to save herself from hurting her friend’s ego and herself from an unwanted lecture and unending teasing).

 

Heejin is familiar with heads turning to look at her, with watching people gape at her or following her every step with entranced eyes. (By now, Heejin knows that she is beautiful, the infinite amount of compliments she hears telling her enough, but she had to owe it to her stylists and makeup artists too). Usually, the stares all blur together into one, and this remains the same except for one. Like a microscope focusing on a subject or a spotlight shining on the photographer, Hyunjin seems to be enchanted.

 

Hyunjin’s stare makes her feel like she is the only other person in the room, like she is the only one who matters, who is worthy of her unwavering gaze.

 

For once, Heejin doesn’t feel like she is subjected to uncomfortable staring like an objectified item on walking sticks to be shown off—does not feel like she is a commodity to be won or taken or possessed.

 

Hyunjin makes her feel so special, like she is beautiful for who she is, not for what she wears or looks like.

 

It’s different and Heejin welcomes the feeling with open arms (and open heart).

 

Twirling around once she steps in front of Hyunjin, the photographer only barely blinks and in a breath. “How do I look?”

 

Hyunjin clears before looking away.

 

(Both in embarrassment and admonishment. Her eyes wouldn’t ing look away even if her brain was screaming at her to, to not let Heejin in and wiggle herself even further into her heart. Like chasing a hedonistic desire to take in every inch of Heejin like she’d disappear right in front of her if she didn’t, her rationality could never stand a chance).

 

“You look-”

 

(Hyunjin could lie about the voracious beating in her heart and be nonchalant).

 

“You look stunning, Heejin. No camera, no photographer, nothing could ever come close to grasping how gorgeous you are.”

 

(No, that’s a ing lie. She couldn’t lie and act indifferent. Not when Heejin looked so beautiful. Not just in that moment, not just in that dress. For everything that she is, Heejin is a wonder).

 

It’s not often Heejin is flustered. But, God, do her cheeks flush and warm at Hyunjin’s compliment. Subconsciously tucking her hair behind her ear in shyness, Haseul has to clear to cut through the tension rippling off like waves between them.

 

Visibly shaking her head and gathering her breath again, Hyunjin has to turn away from Heejin while she pointed at the door, “Let’s have you start there. Then, we’ll get to the couch and finish up at the bed.”

 

Slipping back into professionalism, Heejin heeds Hyunjin’s directions and if Hyunjin didn’t fall for Heejin before, there was no way she could get away with it this time. Carrying the same emotions from the photoshoot outside to now, Heejin tells her story with clarity, her eyes murky with uncertainty and forlornness. Unfathomably lost and desperate to be found, Hyunjin feels her heart beginning to yearn in a way that she has never felt as she clicked away from behind the camera, as if it sympathized for the Heejin in front of her—the lost girl searching for a home.

 

The pictures Hyunjin takes are remarkable. Like Heejin’s reputation foretold, she performed to an ability that is unthinkable for a relatively new model. Hyunjin barely had any work to do, only clicked at the release button and adjusted for light and reframing.

 

Indeed, humans are an art. Undeniably, Heejin is a masterpiece.

 

~.~.~

 

When the prints of Heejin’s photoshoot comes, it’s as if everyone in Hyunjin’s company takes the time to make their way to Hyunjin to compliment her work. Even Sojung had stopped by to congratulate her and praise her effort. Selling remarkably well, Hyunjin begins to see her photos of Heejin everywhere. 

 

As incredible as her shots were, Hyunjin can’t help the disappointment that filters through her body. She hadn’t even come close to capturing the truth of Heejin’s story, of how divine she looked. Even if her shots turned out well, Hyunjin feels as if she failed the other girl. 

 

Flipping through the issue and critically eyeing her photos of Heejin, a song of angels disrupts her, “Hyunjin? Is that you?”

 

Startling in her seat and searching for the melody that called for her, Hyunjin’s breath catches in . 

 

(Beautiful dress or not, Heejin still took her breath away even if she was only dressed in a white crop top, a flannel, and skinny jeans, a pair of wired circle glasses sitting on the perfect bridge of her nose).

 

Hyunjin hates how her heart starts to beat in tenfold, as if anxious to call out for Heejin, to capture her attention. Shutting it out, Hyunjin wills herself to ignore the echo of Heejin’s name in her ribs. 

 

“Heejin! Good morning! Did you see the prints? You really did an awesome job!”

 

The model smiles brightly, the ends of her eyes crinkling happily. (It’s such an endearing sight).

 

“I knew that the pictures you took were amazing, but they turned out even better that I could have ever imagined!”

 

Hyunjin feels her heart burst with pride before coiling in on itself when it remembers how she failed to portray Heejin the way she deserved, “I didn’t do as well as I should have.”

 

Heejin hates how ashamed Hyunjin looks, so disappointed in herself. Not having it, Heejin pulls out the chair that is in front of Hyunjin and closes the magazine before holding her hands and making the photographer focus her eyes on her. 

 

“If you think you should have done better, I should have too. Like you said, Hyun, we’re partners when we tell my story. We’re supposed to help each other do better and if you think you lacked in performance, so did I.”

 

Adamantly shaking her head in refusal, Hyunjin doesn’t want Heejin thinking that, even for a second, she did not measure up to her expectations. She had exceeded them in such an impossible manner, “But, you were perfect, Heejin.”

 

Heejin chuckles. (It’s light and charming. Hyunjin likes how it sounds—she’d even swoon if she had the recklessness to).

 

“You know better than anyone else that models aren’t perfect. We’re made to be perfect. You made me to be perfect. So, if I really was flawless, so were you, Hyun.”

 

Unable to refute, Hyunjin subconsciously pouts, “But, I wanted to do better for you.” Internally cooing at the sight, Heejin relaxes into her chair. 

 

(Hyunjin hates how cold and empty her hands feel when Heejin’s hands leaves hers to clasp together and rest on her lap).

 

“How about this? If it makes you feel better, buy me a meal and it’ll even everything out.”

 

Against Hyunjin’s better judgement, her head automatically nods in agreement. (Her mind is screaming at her in anger and disappointment, “What happened to not letting Heejin in, you ?!” 

 

Hyunjin doesn’t even have an answer. Giving into Heejin and wanting to spend more time with her seemed to be a necessity that she couldn’t control).

 

“Your next meal on me, got it!”

 

Heejin’s smile is confident—like it’s caught between smirking and being happy. “I’ll only accept your payment if you’re eating with me, Kim Hyunjin.”

 

Smiling like a flustered teenager (like she was whenever Jungeun complimented her back in high school), Hyunjin nods in agreement. 

 

When Heejin pushes away and stands, the sun glows behind her like a heavenly halo. “I gotta go, but it was nice seeing you, Hyun. I’m expecting a text from you on the details!”

 

(Oh, that’s right. Like a reminder Hyunjin didn’t need, Heejin had given Hyunjin her number after the photographer had dismissed her. It’s not like Hyunjin spent an hour going back and forth between sending a text, erasing her words and retyping them all over again. Hyunjin ended up not texting her because it just seemed like a bad idea, like texting Heejin would only make her fall for the girl more).

 

(It would).

 

Mustering the courage to text Heejin before cowering away again, it embarrasses Hyunjin how she spends ten minutes to craft a single message. 

 

Kim Hyunjin: there’s this tteokbokki and fried chicken place that i love near my place. it’s my go to. is that good with you? and is seven on saturday okay?

 

It takes Heejin a couple of hours to reply back, but Hyunjin can almost sense the girl’s excitement when she reads her text. 

 

Jeon Heejin ^•^ : i LOVE fried chicken and tteokbokki :)

Jeon Heejin ^•^ : and seven is perfect. i’ll just be getting off  >_<

Jeon Heejin ^•^ : wait are we carpooling or meeting up????

 

It’s alarming how Hyunjin’s heart pounds when she texts back. It slams against her chest and makes her stomach twist into knots. 

 

Kim Hyunjin: i’ll pick you up! just send me your location!

 

If Hyunjin was worried about coming off too eager, Heejin eases her when she sends a text back immediately, just as excited. 

 

Jeon Heejin ^•^ : looking forward to seeing you again hyunjin!!!!!! have a good day :D

 

(Hyunjin knew it. Texting Heejin would only make her heart want her more. It’s dangerous and almost overwhelming. It can’t be like this. 

 

There is too much at stake for Hyunjin to mess it up with her feelings.

 

She has to do better).

 

As Saturday comes in a whirl, Hyunjin up to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter