Beer & All the Singing

Polaris

Jinwoo is always the quiet one.

As the eldest in his group, WINNER, it is a known fact for everyone that Jinwoo indeed carries a lot of burden in his shoulder. Every member has a lot of things to lose if WINNER didn’t do well, but for Jinwoo, he has everything to lose - he cannot, and will never - let go of WINNER. Jinwoo is naturally very sensitive as he often picks up subtle cues from people around him - and combined with his reserved nature - it is not an exaggeration to say that Jinwoo holds a lot of cards in his hands - he IS the silent wall of YG.

 

Cat House, 7 AM

It’s only 7 in the morning when the noise in Mino’s workroom wakes Jinwoo from his sleep. “Ahh...,” Jinwoo groans as he stretches his body, cracking his tensed joints. He sits silently for a moment, as his hands touch his soft and warm bedding; thinking, I wish I’m not alone in this  bed.... I wish I could share this softness with someone; and see if she thinks the bed is warm enough or should they crank up the heat more...

 

But Jinwoo quickly snaps back to reality as there is another noise from Mino’s work room; forcing Jinwoo to get up and maybe give Mino a little flick on his forehead. He takes out his house slipper before knocking the door to Mino’s room followed by opening the door himself.

"Hyung...” Mino lifts his head up from the canvas in front of him, looking so pure and clueless; exactly why Jinwoo adores him the most. “Did I make too much noise? Did I wake you up?”

Jinwoo nods as he yawns a bit, but ultimately deciding no drama needed this morning. He knows Mino didn’t do it on purpose he was just too immersed with his painting. “Sleep a bit Mino-ya, got it?” He turns back and close the door without even giving Mino a chance to respond.

Jinwoo decides to take a shower; oh how he loves when the cold water runs down his body; cleansing his body and mind; waking him up and shaking him back into reality; his reality ; as a renowned Kpop idol in the industry, one of the most respected musically, or in his case; his infamous visual that is already recognized by most people. Jinwoo is so used to it now; he feels nothing when people goes crazy over his visual. He knows he’s good looking— that is an understatement; though— he is indeed crazy handsome as if God himself sculpt every inch of his face. He’s always grateful for it; thank you Eomma and Appa for this genes - but deep down inside Jinwoo doesn’t want to be defined just by his outer layer.. he wanna be known for what’s inside him too.

 

As cold water runs down his lean and toned body, Jinwoo’s mind keep wandering- what schedule do they have today; where are the cats right now; what is Hoon up to today is he available for some game match; and many more. He slowly remembers his schedule - nothing to record today as Yoon is still working on some of the song. No shooting as well - they are nearing the end of hiatus as promotional activity is set to start in about a month or so, this is the time when he needs to keep practicing vocal or choreo. In the past he would train all day and all night - but it’s been 5 years into his career and he trained for so long - it is not that hard anymore, he can have some time for himself.

 

Stepping out the shower, Jinwoo as always only choose comfortable clothes - loose t shirt and a loose training pants. While waiting for his hair to dry he starts the whole skincare regimen -  a must do for KPop idol and Jinwoo is not stupid, his face is indeed one of his greatest asset - he needs to take a good care of it. 10 minutes and that’s it; Jinwoo’s stepping out the bathroom looking so fresh with his damp hair. Rey and Bey welcome him outside and he quickly says hi as he proceed to the dining room to find some breakfast prepared already.

 

Biting into the sausage, Jinwoo takes into his phone and start texting Hoony.

 

“You up?”

 

No answer, Jinwoo keeps munching on the food as he scrolls down SNS to catch up. He smirks at Mino’s post from last night on his private account, Mino is head over heels with his girlfriend. Mino is very soft and often can’t help to not brag about how much he adores his gf and Jinwoo finds it so cute so he leaves a like on the posting.

 

Ding! Hoon replies.

 

“Yes, hyung. I’m about to take Haute for a walk. Do you want to go?”

 

Jinwoo glances at the clock; it’s 9 AM. Too early to go out for him so he quickly replies no and asking for a game night tonight, to which Hoon responds yes. As he’s done with his meal, he goes back to his room, bringing Bey with him as company. 

 

Another morning passed by just like that.

 

3 PM, Training Centre 

 

Jinwoo takes a black mask and a cap and his phone; he wants to practice singing one of the new songs. He doesn’t bother to put on makeup as he will only be meeting trainees there, and probably few sasaengs but he could care less. He opens Mino’s door softly only to find Mino is sleeping deeply, his room is totally dark but he can see Mino finished his painting. He closes the door and wear socks and pair of sneakers he used to train, then he goes out the apartment. The training centre is right across their apartment so it’s very close by; some sasaengs would wait there but he didn’t care. Thankfully today there’s not a lot, only a suspicious looking girl sitting alone in the bus stop but hey that could’ve been anyone. Jinwoo strides relaxedly, not in any hurry at all.

 

The training centre as always is cramped with trainees - girls and boys - and they would always politely bow to him. Jinwoo is not that good in making small talk so he just nods and greets them back politely as he walks to one of vocal training room. It’s small but it’s well equipped, Jinwoo can access the music arrangement for him to practice with. Officially he would be practicing with vocal couch but today he just wants to practice on his own. He puts down his mask and hat, getting comfortable as he warms up his voice. Few minutes later he’s already attempting to sing, hitting the notes the way Yoon directed him to.  He was so immersed until he didn’t realize that a girl sneak into the room, sitting near the door, listening to his singing voice while hugging her knees.

 

“Whoa... so beautiful oppa.”

 

Jinwoo turns his head to find the culprit, Daeun, sitting there. 

 

“Ya Lee Daeun. What are you doing here?”

 

Daeun, a tiny girl with a slender figure and short jet black hair - only smirks and stands up, walking up to Jinwoo. She wears a lemon colored cap paired with oversized peach hoodie that covers up to her mid-thighs - since she’s so tiny - and pair of socks and sneakers. She looks adorable - yet her charming aura is rather cold than cheerful. A combination that is odd yet intriguing; one of the reason Yang Hyun-suk wanted her in YG.

 

“You tell me oppa. I’m supposed to use this room for my practice too but there you are.” 

 

“Huh?” Jinwoo walks up to the forms attached near the door, he was sure this room has no reservation before he ultimately decided to go in. All his life, his long trainee years, Jinwoo always make sure that he never crosses anyone’s wrong - he gritted his teeth, kept his head hang low, practiced hard day&night, until he finally made that debut. Such thing as taking anyone’s room for practice is quite impossible for him.

 

“I don’t see your name here Daeun-ah. Are you sure?”

 

“Ehh?” Daeun runs towards Jinwoo and they both look at the form, and it’s clearly empty. Jinwoo looks down at Daeun, waiting for her explanation.

 

“Ahh Yoojin didn’t write my name like I asked... darn...” Daeun cursed quietly under her breathe, but it doesn’t escape Jinwoo’s ears. Jinwoo lifts his brows, did she really just swear in front of her senior? How bold of this girl. 

 

Jinwoo doesn’t say a word, he just shrugs his shoulder and walks back to the computer, wanting to attempt another try at the song. He expects Daeun to leave, but the girl doesn’t move.

 

“What now?” He asks. 

 

“Oppa can I stay here? I swear I won’t make a noise. I just need to memorize the lyrics or else I will get scold again.” Daeun shows her phone and her ear pods to Jinwoo. Jinwoo thinks for a second - he wanted a lone practice session for himself, but he doesn’t have a selfish bone in him; and he is one to know the struggle of having to memorize lyrics when you don’t have a quiet space to do it.

 

“Please do your thing okay. Don’t make unnecessary comments or else I’ll have to ask you to leave.” Daeun nods and goes to the further corner of the room, literally the farthest she can distance herself from Jinwoo, puts on ear pods and get busy on memorizing lyrics. Jinwoo turns his back and getting lost in singing again, drowning in what he loves the most, singing and performing on stage. He loves the song; Yoon is such a great composer and he really knows how to highlight Jinwoo’s voice color. Just one of the many reason why he treasure Yoon so much.

 

Jinwoo looks at the clock at the bottom of the screen only to realize that he’s been singing non stop for almost 1 hour - no wonder his throat is so dry. He gets up to take bottled water at the nearby pantry; and he suddenly remembers Daeun. Is she still there? He can’t remember, but it wouldn’t hurt to get her one too she might be thirsty. Jinwoo takes one more bottle and walks back - when he suddenly catch a suspicious glimpse in one of the training room. He stops just to check if everything’s okay - when he realizes it’s actually a pair of trainee - off each others’ tongue. Haish... Jinwoo sighs but decides not to do anything, he keeps walking to find Daeun, still at the corner, hugging her two knees but this time the girl is fall asleep. 

 

Such a dainty girl... so thin, so small, so fragile... Jinwoo quickly shakes his head, cursing why the he even think about this girl. He leaves the bottled water next to her as he goes back to his spot, trying to get rid of that imagery in his head. Soon enough, Jinwoo’s back into drowning to the music. 1 hour later he decides to go back home - dinner time, and he has game night  with Hoony. He wraps up everything, shuts down the computer and wear his cap and mask, when he realizes Daeun is still sleeping at the corner. He keeps the lights on and when he goes out, he tells one of the trainee to wake Daeun up. Jinwoo doesn’t want to be bothered at all, he’s just living his life, that’s all.

 

Later that night...

 

“Ahh Hyung!” Seunghoon throws the controller into the pile of pillows in front of him, frustrated. Jinwoo beat him in 3 games in a row, the man himself is laughing while gulping his cold beer. Hoon’s not drinking like usual but he’s munching on Mino’s jellies.

 

“Step up your game, Seunghoona.” Jinwoo laughs as he lays back relaxedly. Cold beer lights up his mood - and he loves having Hoony as company. Hoony’s always cheerful and gentle with him - all his dongsaengs are. Hoony chews the jellies as he plays with his phone this time.

 

“Hyung, did you hear Mino’s latest song? It’s totally awesome.” Hoon excitedly plays a song on his phone. Mino, Yoon, and Hoon often does this, every time they finished composing one song they send it to their group chat first.  Jinwoo nods and focuses to listen.

 

A soft melody flows softly, followed by Mino’s low voice singing the melody. It’s a ballad - a loving one, praising the girl... the soft curve of her hips, the way she sways, the drops of snow caught in between her eyelashes, a figure so tiny but holds so much love inside...

 

Jinwoo closes her eyes, enjoying the melody. He loves it; he always loves a good ballad. He gets immersed in the melody, in the lyrics, as suddenly an image flashing before his mind...

 

Damn it.