three

on your wedding day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stir to the incessant buzzing of your phone. 

“Hm?” You go, rolling over to pick up the call. 

You look at the caller ID. It’s Ji Hyo. What? 

“Yah, get up,” she says immediately as you pick up. 

“Aren’t you in my house?” 

A part of you worries she’s changed her mind about staying here, that she’s left without even saying goodbye properly. 

“Of course I’m in your house,” she says, and you silently exhale. What a relief. “I’m not letting you off that easy. Did you really expect me to go into your room and wake you up personally? What if I saw something I wasn’t supposed to see?” 

“Right, sorry,” you cough, clearing your throat. 

“Whatever. Just get in here. Hurry up! God, what time is it already? I thought you were an early bird.” 

You usually are, but how early can one expect to wake up if thoughts of a certain person keeps filling their mind? 

She hangs up before you can say anything. 

You scamper out of your room to wash up, only briefly hearing sounds in the kitchen, the smell of a good hearty breakfast. 

“Surprise!” She says with a face full of glee when you emerge from the bathroom. “I made breakfast. Well, technically, I heated up your mother’s food. Thought it would be wasteful to make new food when we already have so much–“

“You did well,” you say, rubbing her hair in praise. Perhaps you’re still half asleep. She looks down, pursing her lips.

“Yah!” she weakly scolds. “Don’t mess up my hair!” 

“It was already messy before I touched it,” you tease, and she gasps in offense. You only laugh. 

“I shouldn’t have made you breakfast,” she says, “that was too nice of me.” 

“You didn’t make me breakfast anyway,” you retort with a cheeky smile. “This is all my mom’s food.” 

She scoffs with her arms on her hips, fully riled up. “Aren’t I a guest here? Is this the thanks I get? You know, if you keep this up...” 

“I know, I know,” you say, even though you know she’s not really upset. “You should sit down and eat now. You must be hungry.” 

“That’s true,” she says, sitting down next to you and starting her attack on the prettily laid out spread. She starts happily eating the food again. It’s almost a replay of last night’s dinner, but somehow, this fine morning feels more domestic. 

When she isn’t looking, you watch her, hungrier for her cute expressions than you are for your mother’s curry. 

She catches you. “Why? Is there something on my face?” 

You open your mouth with nothing to say, but the doorbell rings and saves you. 

Wait. The doorbell just rang. Who could it be? You didn’t order anything, and everyone knows they have to call or text in advance before... 

You rush over to the door. Oh god. It’s your mother. 

“Who is it?” she asks, stuffing another spoonful of curry and rice in . She looks much less distressed than you are. 

“It’s my Umma.”

She swallows. “Really?” She suddenly realizes the implications of the situation. “Do you... need me to hide?” 

You think over this. Well, it’s not going to be a fun situation, but Ji Hyo doesn’t seem very bothered by your mother’s presence, so why should you make her hide? 

“It’s okay,” you say, gesturing for her to stay put. “But she might ask some questions. Is that okay?” 

Ji Hyo nods. “I suppose people are going to find out soon anyway. Better for Eomeo-nim to hear it from me than the news.” 

“Right,” you say, filling up with worry. What are people going to say about Ji Hyo when news about this breaks out? 

You open the door, and your mom comes in with new containers of food. “Jong Kook-ah... Umma has–“ she spots Ji Hyo sitting on the couch–“oh? Ji Hyo-ssi? What are you doing here? I thought that...” 

Ji Hyo bows respectfully to your mother. “Good morning, Eomeo-nim. I’m really sorry to intrude like this.” 

“Oh, not at all, not at all!” Your mother smiles brilliantly, happily watching Ji Hyo. You recall all those times she quietly asked about Ji Hyo’s relationship status, availability. She was so upset when you told her Ji Hyo was getting married. And now... 

“I don’t want you to be confused, so I’ll just tell you the truth,” she says sheepishly and respectfully. “My marriage is... ending. My husband kicked me out of the house, and Jong Kook Oppa was kind enough to take me in–“

“Omo...” your mother brings her hands to her face. “What kind of cruel man would do that to such a sweet girl like you?” She turns to you. “Let her stay as long as she wants, understand?” 

You nod, highly amused at how Ji Hyo’s spinning events to get your mother on her side. You understand it, of course. Who would want their friend’s parents to think lowly of them? 

“I should have brought more food,” your mother continues, looking at Ji Hyo with perhaps more love than she’s ever had for you. It is a defeat you accept. “Since I know you’re here too now, I’ll bring more food next time,” she looks at you again. “Share the food well with Ji Hyo, understand?” 

“You don’t have to trouble yourself like that for me, Eomeo-nim,” Ji Hyo says, gesturing a polite refusal with her hands. “I can cook for myself too.” Ji Hyo makes a beeline for the bag of food that’s set on the counter. “I’ll help put those away.” 

“You don’t have to do that–“

“You don’t have to do that–“

Ji Hyo smiles at the both of you, and proceeds to put the food containers away in the fridge anyway. “It’s okay, I can do this much.” 

You and your mother watch her back as she carefully arranges everything. 

“She really is such a kind and beautiful woman,” your mother whispers to you. “I won’t interfere, but you know a gem too when you see one, don’t you?” 

“There really is nothing going on between us, Umma,” you whisper back. But you wish you weren’t saying this. You want to tell her that things are serious between you and Ji Hyo, and that the both of you are thinking of starting a family. But how could you assume such a relationship between yourself and a woman who just left another man? Even if it is partially your fault that she left him. 

“Ji Hyo-ssi, what dishes do you like? I’ll cook some for you next time.” 

“Me?” Ji Hyo turns around, having closed the fridge. “There really isn’t a need–“ 

“You don’t have to be shy,” your mother beams. “It really is no trouble.” 

“I...” Ji Hyo smiles shyly. “I like everything you’ve been bringing Jong Kook Oppa. All your cooking is really tasty.” 

“Ah... I see you two have similar taste buds,” she nods. “That’s really good. Should I stop coming altogether? Give you two some time alone?” 

You nearly die on the spot. “Umma,” you say with a fearful voice. “I told you it wasn’t anything like that.” 

“You don’t have to do that, Eomeo-nim,” Ji Hyo heartily agrees. “Come and visit Jong Kook Oppa as much as you want. But if you’re tired of cooking, you don’t have to bring food. I don’t have much of a schedule these days, so I can cook too. If Jong Kook Oppa is okay with it, since it’s the least I can do.” 

“Really?” She smiles so wide, you almost feel bad. Your mother is already looking at Ji Hyo like you’re both married. That’s not good. You don’t want her heart to break like yours. “Then I’ll leave him to you. I’ll get going now...” 

“So fast?” you ask in shock. Your mother shoots you a look. “Alright. I’ll see you soon.”

You walk her to the door. 

“Make her happy,” she tells you before leaving. “Don’t let her go.” 

“I know,” you say. “I’ll try.” 
 

 

“I’ll do the dishes,” Ji Hyo says when the both of you have finished eating, starting to pick up bowls and utensils. 

You immediately stand, helping her pick up as many things as you can. “You don’t have to. I’ll do them. You already did your part by setting everything up.” 

“No it’s not,” she disagrees, walking to the sink. “That’s not enough, I should–“ 

“How about this,” you interrupt, putting the dishes in the sink next to her. “We’ll do the dishes together.” 

She smiles. “Okay,” she grabs the sponge. “I’ll soap the dishes up, and you’ll wash them?”

“Sounds good,” you say, and even this mundane activity is making your heart flutter. 

You start running a small stream of water, grabbing the soaped up dishes as Ji Hyo cleans them. But you’re both standing too close, and her finger pokes your arm as she’s cleaning. 

“Ah, you got soap on my arm,” you complain. 

“Did I?” she says, playing dumb, right before tapping your nose with her finger. She laughs cheekily at you. 

“Yah!” You wipe off the suds immediately. “Come here!” 

You grab the suds sitting on the sponge and lunge for her, trapping her against the sink, childishly trying to put soap on her nose like she did. She laughs uncontrollably, using her hands to push you away. 

“You can’t, you can’t!” 

There is a lull in your movements. You stop plucking your arms out of her grasp, letting her just hold you, and then you are looking at her, and she is looking at you, and you feel the moment linger in the air. She swallows, staring at you, and you stare back at her. She shuts her eyes. That’s the signal, you feel. You lean in. 

The doorbell rings. 

“Who the hell is it this time?!” You yell, and of course the moment is over, you ruin it more with your anger, but she’s laughing, and you can’t help but take a quick glance at her before you head to the door. 

“What?” You freeze up when you reach the intercom. Jin Young is standing there, camera crew behind her. You press on the speak button. “Isn’t filming tomorrow?” 

“We pushed it forth a few days ago, remember?” Jin Young says. “Aren’t you going to let us in?” 

Ji Hyo walks up to you and sees what’s going on, gathering the situation. “Are you alright with them seeing me?” she says. “I can leave if you need me to.”

Again, she’s somehow fine with people finding out she’s here. And you can’t make her leave. You also don’t want her to leave. When you think about it, what’s so bad about Ji Hyo being on the show? PDs have asked you to invite her before, she just happened to be busy all those times. The only time she was able to make it was as a guest host. 

You unlock the door. 

“Ah, seriously Oppa, what took you so long—Unnie?” Jin Young breaks into a wide smile when she sees Ji Hyo, immediately reaching for a hug. “Daebak! What are you doing here?”

“I just came by to visit Jong Kook Oppa for a bit,” Ji Hyo explains effortlessly. Now that’s a huge understatement. 

“Really? Ah, I see... but Unnie, didn’t you get married recently? I remember sending you flowers because I couldn’t make it.” 

“Yes, I received your flowers well,” Ji Hyo smiles. “Uh, about that other thing, I’ll explain it later. Are you going to film the show now?”

“Soon,” you respond. “They’re setting up the cameras now.” 

“Unnie,” Jin Young asks expectantly. “Are you going to film with us too? Do you have a schedule later?” 

“I don’t,” says Ji Hyo. Jin Young looks really excited at this fact. You’re not sure why. Is it really that acceptable and normal for Ji Hyo to be doing this? You guess so. You’d rather not question it. “Should I stay then?” 

Jin Young nods readily. “We’re going to make kimbap. You’re really going to stay then?” 

“Jin Young-ah,” you say teasingly. “Could it be that you just really don’t want to film alone with me?” 

“Don’t be like that,” Jin Young whines. “You’re happy that Ji Hyo Unnie’s here too. Why else would you ask her to come over to your house alone?” 

“I–“ you catch your tongue–“right.”

 

 

“I’ll come with you too,” you say. 

Filming’s ended for an hour by now, and Ji Hyo has just told you she’s going to leave the house to meet with her lawyer and her (soon to be ex) husband and his lawyer as well. 

“Why?” she asks, almost as if you’ve hit a nerve. “I know what you’re doing, you know.” She crosses her arms. “I know I’m going through something, but you can stop the pity now. I can take care

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter