SWING

SWING
Please log in to read the full chapter

"You know, I never thought I would ever admit this out loud. Never in my life." Jeongyeon laughed at herself. She wouldn't look in Nayeon's direction as she spoke. She kept her eyes on the horizon, her arms propping her body up as she leaned on the older girl's balcony. The breeze ruffled through her short hair and through her hoodie, causing her to shiver. Nayeon pulled her own jacket's zipper up to her chin.

"It's so gross. I don't even want to say it." She giggled again. Jeongyeon had always had trouble expressing her feelings directly, preferring to be the friend that simply implies their thoughts with expression, body language and backhanded sarcasm. Nayeon had known her for long enough to learn her cues. When she was hungry, sad, happy, uncomfortable. She didn't need to hear it directly. Today was no exception. She knew what Jeongyeon was going to say.

"I'm... I think... God." Jeongyeon leaned forward, putting her head in her hands. Nayeon pulled the sleeves of her jacket over her hands. "I-I really like her... Jihyo. Not as friends." She made a little sigh and then a squeal of relief as the words left . Nayeon watched her body as it relaxed, her head tilting back, the tears of alleviation tracing her cheeks. The smile she sported was one of her ridiculous ones. The ones that had wide open, teeth showing, almost looking aggressive. She turned to look at Nayeon, crossing her legs in front of her and wiping her eyes with her sleeves.

"You have no idea how hard that was to say." She muttered. She was wrong. Nayeon knew exactly how hard it was for Jeongyeon to say. The last time she had girlfriend, it took her a week of dating them before she was able to tell Nayeon and Jihyo that she thought she might like her more than a friend. She was a little stubborn and a huge tsundere. Endearing and enraging at the same time.

"What do you want me to say? That I've known since forever?" Nayeon smirked, breaking eye contact with her best friend to watch a pigeon fly from her front lawn to a powerline, wobbling slightly as it settled. "This isn't news for me, Jeong."

"Why are you being like this? You've gotta help me!" Jeongyeon scrambled to Nayeon's side, taking her arm and tugging slightly.

Nayeon turned, her eyes latching onto Jeongyeon's once again. The pout on her face was disgustingly adorable. The girl certainly knew how to turn on the cuteness despite her usual aversion to it.

"What am I supposed to do to help? I'm not the one who's been in a relationship before. I've got no ideas." Nayeon kept her mind on the pigeon. She could just see it in her peripheral vision. It was preening its feathers roughly.

"You've gotta talk to her! I wanna know if I should even go for it. What if she just thinks of me as a friend? What if this wrecks everything?" Jeongyeon squeezed her arm a little too tight and her voice was just a little too loud.

"She's your best friend. We hand out together all the time. Can't you just talk to her yourself?" Nayeon hated where this was going.

"Please, Nayeonie." Jeongyeon poked her bottom lip out like a child and tilted her head like a lost puppy. She knew that Nayeon was weak when it came to her aegyo. Nayeon couldn't say no.

The irony is killing me.

"Why can't you just tell her you love her? Why is it so hard to talk to her? You speak to her every day."

Yeah, Nayeon. Why not? Who the hell are you to give advice like that?

"Please! I'll buy you lunch!" Jeongyeon's face was so cute and her promise of lunch was all too much for Nayeon to handle any longer. She hated herself for it.

"You idiot. Fine!" She sighed, pulling her arm away from Jeongyeon's grip and standing up. She pointed to the street. The pigeon flew away as if startled by Nayeon's sudden outburst. "Now get out of here before I change my mind!"

Jeongyeon giggled, the sound ringing in Nayeon's head. She stood and ran as fast as she could to her house across the street.

"I love you, Nayeon!" She screamed as she passed, the cold wind failing to blow the sound away from Nayeon's ears. She hated the words that Jeongyeon said so easily to her. She hated them because she would never say them back.

 

 

Nayeon spent the night encased in a strange dream. In the dream, Jeongyeon was kissing Jihyo. Right in front of her. Her hands in Jihyo's short blonde locks, her eyes shut tight, Jihyo's hands on her waist like they were made to be there. When they pulled away, they looked into each other like Nayeon wasn't there. A time that seemed like forever passed before Jihyo turned, her eyes squinting with Nayeon's favourite smile in the world.

"Nayeon-unnie!" She called as if she were far away, her booming voice filling Nayeon's mind. "Come join us!"

Nayeon hated the way her dream self's heart leaped from her chest and right out into her hands. It pulsated, blood spewing in every which direction, accidently soiling Jihyo and Jeongyeon's clothes until they were drip

Please log in to read the full chapter