3. Double Trouble

What A Life

"Where are you going?"

Instead of answering, Chanyeol received a middle finger from his sister, who was heading for the front door. She may have put on herself her basketball manager sweatsuit, but he knows she probably has a very short dress underneath. Like hell she’ll leave the house while he's on guard.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" 

"Oh, YOU were that annoying sound ringing in my ears. I was wondering why I suddenly had a headache." She grabbed her temples dramatically and pretended to be a pain. "Every time you talk, my cells just want to jump off the bridge." She muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Good, roll back those eyes. Maybe you'll finally find your brain!" He yelled from kitchen, before moving to the stairs where she was standing.

Junmyeon and Jongdae watched this scene with fascination. The Park siblings, known for the eternal snippets and insults thrown at each other every time they make eye contact. Knowing these two all their lives, getting used to it was only a matter of time.

"You know what? Every time I think I'd like to have younger sister, I come here and suddenly, I feel better.” Jongdae's was smiling dreamily, drying tomatoes with a towel. "How did you and Yeri manage to stand each other for so many years and not ended up like them?"

Junmyeon was busy slicing the beef. "We were forced to share a bathroom in high school. If we survived that, we are gonna survive anything.”

Speaking of Yeri, Junmyeon looked at his sister who was grunting because of the rice sticking to her rubber gloves.

The Kim's team didn't meet at the Park’s residence for no reason. Chanyeol's mom makes food for her husband's company’s party every year. This year, she had an important thing to do, so she asked her son to help prepare the food. He wasn't an outstanding cook, so he called his friends to help. 

"Yeri, weren’t you suppose to…not touch the food?” Jongdae asked, spicing vegetables before grabbing some for himself to eat. 

"Well, thank you Jongdae for those words of encouragement! But on serious note, I've decided to use the book I got from Sooyoung’s mom to help prepare the kimbap." She said confidently.

"Sis, that's nice, but you opened that book like half an hour ago, and after the last ramen you served me, I sometimes have to sleep with the lights on.” Junmyeon said, fighting the urge to cry at the sudden memory of time he spent in a toilet that day.

"Oh, come on! I’m cooking with our mom all the time. Cooking should be an adventure, exploring. You should follow your instincts.”

"Be careful, because if you give it to people, the only instinct they’ll follow will be the survival one.”

Yeri stuck her tongue out at her brother, who ignored her.

"Well, it wouldn’t take us so much time, if SOMEONE came and helped us!" Jongdae screamed to get the attention of the screaming siblings in the living room.

No reaction from them.

"I don't know if you remember, but dad said you're forbidden to leave the house after 8!” Chanyeol crossed his arms and pushed his chest out, showing his dominance. Sooyoung groaned angrily.

"Since when did you started to listen to dad and became such a defender of rules?”

"Since when did you start wearing clothes that barely cover your ? You know I can always call coach Jang Hoon and ask him if you really went to the practice. Or maybe you’re running to that boy of yours again?"

She pointed her index finger in his face. "His name is Sungjae and stop teasing me about him. He’s twice the man you’ll ever be.” He grabbed her hand and swept it away. 

"Mom clearly said no parties and no boys for the rest of high school. Sorry, but that's the fate of the delinquents." He pinched her nose on which she moaned in pain.

Sooyoung was ready to throw her fists at him. They started pushing again, flicking foreheads until Chanyeol grabbed her in a headlock. She tried to slap him away.

Junmyeon shook his head." Wow. And to think it's all because of one figurine.”

"What figurine?” Yeri asked, without taking her eyes off her job. Junmyeon watched in disgust as his sister tried to soak rice and cheese in soy sauce. There was a male scream coming from the living room.

"Soo broke their mother's precious statue, and because she didn't admit it, they put her on house arrest."

"For one figurine?”

"NOT JUST ANY FIGURINE!" Sooyoung got into the kitchen, her long black hair sticking in all directions. Her brother ran right behind her, holding his hand. She probably bit him. "Grandma brought that from Thailand. For good luck or something." She tried to fix her apprearance. "I wouldn't have a problem with that if it weren't for the fact that I didn't break it!”

"Oh, come on, stop digging your own hole. You were the only one in the house when it happened!"

"What the hell?! I was in my room and you just came back from school!”

"Oh please. Just accept that you did it and save the rest of your dignity.” Chnayeol crossed his arms.

This conversation could go for hours, but Jongdae interrupted them.

"Except, she didn’t do it.”

All eyes were now on him, except Yeri’s since she was preoccupied with rolling the seaweed.

Sooyoung looked confused and Chanyeol’s eyes shoot in fear.

"Well, I know I didn’t do it, but how do you know?”

"Cause I was here when that happened.” He locked his eyes with Chanyeol’s. "And it was his fault.” He pointed a finger at the giant. Silence.

"Bro.. Don’t you dare. Man code...” Chanyeol threaten him, shaking uncomfortably. Sooyoung on the other hand was standing motionless, playing with her fingers and puffing out her cheeks.

"Yeol, don’t look at me like that. You should have confessed 3 years ago, like a MAN. And I don’t want to be responsible for our previous stupidity. ” Jongdae said coldly.

"Jongade. Tell me how. Now.” Sooyoung asked, but it sounded more like a threat.

"We thought we were alone at home at that time. The living room seemed spacious so me and your brother decided to play basketball. Stupid, I know. I’m not proud of that. But anyway, as we were playing, he threw a ball too hard and so to avoid getting hit in a face- I dodged, so the ball knocked the figurine behind me.”

The silence would remain longer until loud "WHAT!!!” came out of Sooyoung.

Chanyeol shielded himself from his sister by grabbing Junmyeon and using him as a human shield. She had fury in her eyes.

"I WAS ACCUSED OF SOMETHING I DIDN’T DO CAUSE YOU WERE TOO MUCH OF A COWARD TO BE THE RESPONSIBLE SIBLING!?” She was switching sides around Junmyeon to grab her brother.

"I PANICKED, OKAY!”

They couldn’t argue more cause at that moment, the front door opened, reveling Ms. and Mrs. Park. They were carrying some boxes, probably for the party.

"Hello kids! How’s the preparation going?” Mrs. Park smiley at them lovingly.

Her children exchanged looks and then both leaped in their mother’s direction. Sooyoung could have been first to reach her until Chanyeol grabbed her from behind and put a hand over . The girl was trying to break free but his grip was stronger. The gym really showed effects.

Their mom wasn’t even fazed by their behavior. She was calmly setting her stuff on a table. Raising two psychos for 27 and 18 years really did a thing on her patience.

"Chanyeol, how many times did I tell not to choke your sister?”

Sooyoung still tried to wriggle out but with one harder tug he managed to calm her down, as their mom walked past them.

"We’re gonna explain this. Or rather I will since I don’t trust you with it. You sit on your and not a word until mom is ready, got it?” He whispered to her ear. She mumbled behind his big hand. "Okay. Now I’m gonna let you go and you won’t go ape .”

He removed himself off her. Her body was tense as she slowly turned around to face him.

"You’re gonna spill everything. And if not, I’m gonna make your life miserable.” She said in a low threatening voice and left.

"Too late for that.” He sighed and went to the kitchen where everyone seemed to gather.

"Miss Park! How nice to see you!” Junmyeon announced loudly as he took off his apron. She grabbed his face and gave him smooch on a cheek.

"Junmyeon, my favorite boy right after my son.” She smiled embracing him in a hug. "How are you? How’s your mom doing? I hope your dad is not overworking himself! Did Joohyun liked the pastries I baked her?” She started to bombard him with question to which he bowed and nodded politely, trying to answer them at the same time.

When she finished with him, she turned to Jongdae and repeated the actions with him.

After that, she turned to Yeri who was rolling her kimbap.

"Yeri, sweetie, what’s that?”

"Oh, I’m making kimbap rolls for the party. I decided to go a little bit off script.” She winked at the older women. "Would you like to try?” She asked innocently, holding a roll up. Mrs. Park observed hesitantly the dangling roll with vegetables sticking out of seaweed which was also done poorly. But seeing the look on the girl’s face told her to accept it anyway. Poor thing probably tried very hard.

"I feel sorry for my future in-law.” Whispered Junmyeon to Jongdae.

"Right now let's pray for Mrs. Park taste buds to survive this.”

The woman left the kitchen with kimbap in her hand and joined her husband on a sofa. Sooyoung kicked her brother in a shin and began to wander around the common area. It caught the attention of her dad.

"Sooyoung, were you planning on going to the basketball practice?” 

The girl stopped in her tracks. She began to play with her hair, avoiding making eye contact.

"..S-Sorta.” She answered shyly.

"Funny. Cause I met Eunwoo’s father at the supermarket and he told me that coach is sick and practiced has been cancelled. Beside, you never wear makeup and earrings fro practice.” He rested his elbows on knees, staring at his daughter. "Care to show what you have under your blouse, young lady?”

Letting out a heavy sign, Sooyung unclasped the zipper of her „Tiger” blouse, reaveling a really short dark red dress that reached her middle thing. It was too short and too tight. Sooyoung’s face was now red with blush. Her mom shook her head in disappointment. 

"Sneaking out again? When you have a curfew and house arrest? Honey, when will you finally stop doing this?” Her father asked, rubbing his eyes under the glasses.

Sooyung looked over for any support and her eyes landed on Chanyeol, who was standing in a doorway. She tried to communicate with him through lip reading. "Do it now!” She mouthed to him.

The boy was conflicted. On one hand, he knew that he should have tell their parents the truth but on the other, he never thought that the topic of he figurine will be brought up again. He felt ashamed for many reasons. And that was enough for him. He bit his lips and mouthed "sorry” to Sooyoung before disappearing into the kitchen. His sister stared in disbelief.

"Are you serious!?” She screamed internally.

After 30 minutes, Mrs Park managed to help boys in food preparation. Feeling tired, she settled down on the sofa again. Sooyoung has been sitting in the armchair with her phone, waiting for her brother to man up. It was pointless, considering how happy and casually he was talking to Jongdae.

Joy approached the kitchen where boys were chatting by the counter.

"Chanyeol, let’s go. We’re gonna tell mom and dad about the figurine accident. This crap needs to end now” She announced with crossed arms and a serious look on her face. Chanyeol didn’t looked so convinced and the sense of duty left him again.

"Oh, well. I was thinking about it and I think this isn't the best moment. I mean, maybe I can text or write a letter or-”

"Okay. That’s it. I gave you a chance for you to play it fair, but seeing you don’t want to cooperate I’m gonna do it myself.”

Before Chanyeol could react, Sooyoung was already at the sofa where their parents were sitting. She slammed her hands on the cushion to bring their attention to her.

"Mom. Dad.” She looked at her panicked brother over her shoulder."It was Chanyeol who broke the figurine 9 years ago.”

Mr. and Mrs. Park turned looking confused to their son who had fear in his eyes. 

"Sooyoungie, what are you saying?”The women asked.

Chanyeol took a deep breath and jogged to the living room and stopped in front of his parents. He lightly slapped himself to boost his confidence. There was no backing down now. Thanks to that little devil.

"Hey mom. You probably remember when you came home to the broken figurine you loved so much, right? Well, I told you it was Sooyoung who destroyed but, it was actually me. I was playing with a basketball and I smashed it by an accident. I’m sorry.”

His mom looked shocked. Her husband brought his hand to his forehead and rubbed it in disappointment, again. But this time, at his other child.

"It was you?" She asked worried, grabbing Sooyoung’s hand that was near her head on a cushions.”Chanyeol...We were punishing your sister because you lied to us?”

"I know mom and I'm really sorry. I was immature and stupid but I promise you it was the only time I lied to you. Again, I’m really sorry.”

His mother’s expression tried to soften after hearing his son out. He may have done wrong, but Mrs Park was very forgiving person when you were fair with her. And sincere apology seemed to solve it all. Unfortunately, her son didn't get to feel relieved as he caught the smirk on his sister’s face saying the payback isn't over. that’s for the last 3 years.

"Oh no. She wouldn’t dare. Oh God, she will."

Sooyoung tapped their dad on a shoulder. "And dad. You remember that one employee you fired? He didn’t crashed your work Mercedes. Chanyeol did.”

Attention was back at Chanyeol. His eyes widened as he stared at his father’s in a total shock. Calculating fast, he knew there was only one thing that could get him out of this situation.

"THE MAIL MAN DIDN’T VOMMIT ON OUR LAWN, SOOYOUNG DID, AFTER SHE CAME BACK HOME AT 6 AM FROM THE PARTY YOU FORBID HER TO GO!”

Now it was Sooyung’s turn to be taken back. Her parents turned to her now. Not having time to react, she quickly searched through her mind -folder called ‘’stupid things my brother did”.

"DURING THESE 4 MONTHS CHANYEOL HAD BEEN FIRED FROM 3 JOBS ALREADY!” She yelled trying to top her embarrassing drunk story. Chanyeol, being competitive as he is, was trying to get himself out of this situation and pulled the dirty card. Low blow.

"SOOYOUNG HAS BEEN IN A RELATIONSHIP FOR OVER A YEAR NOW!”

This brought attention not only of Parks but also Jongade and Junmyeon still situated at the table. Sooyoung knew he decided to go low. She was at the verge of pulling her hair out since her secret was out now. She looked at her parents who were trying to comprehend this news. Feeling helpless, she decided to reveal Chanyeol biggest secret yet.

"CHANYEOL SPENT OVER 10 000 DOLLARS DESPITE THE IRON MAN SUIT INCIDENT! AGAIN!"

Chanyeol gasped and covered his mouth, watching his parents doing the same. He knew telling this little devil was a bad idea. He was now hoping she won’t reveal the reason behind the expense, cause things would get really awkward. 

"Well that’s amusing. Finally someone else gets to prove he’s an idiot. Wait... But that’s an idiot who’s also my roommate…I live with him…and I’ll have to listen to that. Again…” Thoughts were going through Junmyeon’s mind. Feeling the rising tension, he decided to help out his friend, by distracting everyone.

"Well, I liked the last Star Wars movie!” 

He succeded. Now all eyes were on him. Before he could say anything else, his sister interrupted him without even acknowledging the situation around her.

"Man, I wasn’t suppose to soak rice in a soy sauce!" Yeri said disappointed, flipping the pages of a book in front of her. Everyone looked at her, confused by her confession.

"You’re all making me uncomfortable!” The final words belonged to Jongdae, who was now smashing his hand onto the kitchen table.

The house was again filled with silence. No one wanted to break it since too much stuff has happened. Mrs. Park just started blankly at the wall, massaging her temple. "That’s a lot of information to take in 30 seconds.” She said worryingly. But being the woman of this house, she decided to put everyone in their places. "Okay, let’s organize this mess.” She announced, getting up from the couch. She brought her attention to the youngest in the room,Yeri.

"No Yeri, you weren’t suppose to soak rice in a soy sauce. It was horrible.” She put a stress on that sentence by widening her eyes, causing Yeri to pout. "Again, for the sake of other people. Read. The. Book. We. Gave.You.”

She turned to the boy in the middle. "Jongdae sweetheart, if you’re uncomfortable, you’re free to go.”

The last one was Junmyeon. "Jun honey, I don’t want to disappoint you, but you were probably the only one who enjoyed that movie.” Now both Kims were pouting.

The shiver went through Sooyoung’s body as she watched her mother approaching her. She instinctively lowered her head to avoid making an eye contact, closing them in process.

The scold never came.

Instead, she felt arms pulling her into a loving hug and a warm hand caressing her back. She looked at her her mother who was sad smiling at her. 

"Sooyoung, my little ball of joy. I’m sorry for falsely accusing you. I should have listened to you too. And since I hear that you are in a kind of serious relationship, although I would like to discover that in a different way, I guess that’s beyond me.”

"And don’t worry. We kinda figured out about a lawn too.” Mr.Park butted in. 

Sooyoung smiled happily and returned the hug. The squad in the kitchen awed at the heart warming scene. But the happiness didn’t last long cause the woman now turned to her son, who was silently praying.

"Park Chanyeol.” Similiar to his sister, he hid his head, which looked funny since the giant now shrinked a few inches Probably a sibling thing. "Fired? 10 000 dollars? Again? What happened to you?”

The boy started to stutter, trying to find the right words. But nothing could save him from the embarrassment.

"I have nothing to say..”

"Do I want to know what made you spend so much money?”

 

It’s been 2 hours since the chaotic scene. The guest already left. Dusk was falling, the mosquito's were out, goose bumps were on Chanyeol’s arms from the evening chill. He was sitting on a chair at his room balcony, watching city lights in a distance. Today’s event was a mess. No doubt. Not only did his parents found out he was lying but his biggest secret yet has been revealed. Luckily, the reason behind it still remains a mystery. He only told his parents that the investment won’t go to waste since it’s for something important. 

While deep in thoughts, he didn’t hear the balcony door being opened. He looked over his shoulder to see his little sister carrying a mug and a blanket. She already changed her outfit to pink hoodie with matching sweatpants and fluffy slippers. Her face was free from makeup and her hair was tied into a braid. Their eyes met, waiting for one another to start a conversation. 

"What happened to your date?”

"I cancelled it. Told Sungjae that I have armageddon in my house.” 

"Good. Cause seeing you like this would scared the boy away.”

Sooyung wanted to smack him but her hands were occupied so she went for a kick instead.

"I brought you some tea and a blanket. But don’t think it’s my from me. Mom told me to bring you this.” She settled the mug on a small table and threw the blanket into the boy’s lap. His eyes shifted in between items, but in the end her grabbed a mug. Sooyoung stood there for a while, not knowing if she suppose to leave or talk to her idiot of a brother.

She signed and took a seat on a other chair and folded her hands in her lap.

"So… when are you planning to propose to unnie?” She asked bluntly. That question made Chanyeol choke on the drink he was currently sipping. Sooyoung gave him a pat on a back to help him cough, but he shrugged it of. He looked at her as she was crazy.

"Didn’t you have enough drama for today!?” 

"Why? It’s an important question. You spend more money than your college tuition costs and you’re not even making a use out of it.” She whined, clearly annoying.

Chanyeol leaned back in his chair and looked up to the stars above. The little sparkling dots in the sky lightened up the whole scenery. Dark blue velvet shade made him think about Seungwan’s favorite color and countless dates they’ve spend under the starry sky.

Sooyoung snapped him out of the beautiful picture by pushing his shoulder. He responded by throwing baby pink blanket at her face.

"Hey, I’m trying to have a serious conversation with you!”

"And I’m trying to subtly avoid it! And it’s not of your business what I’ll do with my girlfriend.” He leaned on armrest. "I’m wondering when do you plan to introduce your lovely man to our dysfunctional family.”

"Oh, I was planning to do it on…never, but thanks to your big mouth I got an order to bring him to the next dinner.”

"Great. Now I have to find baseball bat.”

Sooyoung raised a brow.” Baseball what? Why?”

Chanyeol look at her softly before turning his head away. He grabbed his neck. "I have to look intimidating to the guy that my little sister is seeing. He may be as perfect as you describe him, but in the end, he’s gonna go through me first.” He said without looking at her. "That’s what big brothers do, right? Take care of the siblings.”

Sooyoung didn’t know what to say. She just stared at him. It didn’t go unnoticed by her that he smiled a little. "Yeah, I guess you’re right.” She joined him in watching the bright moon above them.

They stayed like this for a while until the night breeze creeped in between them.

"I guess it’s time to go inside.” Sooyoung broke the surprisingly pleasant silence. Pleasant in a way only the closest people appreciate with each other. The one that doesn’t need words. When you both feel at peace.

Before they could enter the house, Chanyeol grabbed Sooyoung’s arm and spun her around, trapping her in his muscular arms. She had her eyes wide open. It’s been really a while since they hugged sincerely- without punching, pinching, biting and mutual disgust.

"Soo. I’m sorry for being an .”

Thinner arms found a way around his waist, feeling a comforting pats on his back.

"Yeah, you kinda were. Sorry too. I was a brat.”

"You know you’ll always gonna be my little sister?”

"I guess I have mom and dad to blame for that.”

Chanyeol gently ruffled her hair and let out a laugh. "Well, someone had to inherit the beauty genes.”

Before she could smack him, he sprinted to the door, hearing whiny "Oppa!” behind him.

To Sooyoung, happiness is to annoy her brother. According to Chanyeol, the only good thing that happened to her was being born related to him. Sooyoung can curse him out, embarrass him in front of Seungwan or draw on his face when he’s sleeping. Chanyeol can get really angry with her, put her bra in the freezer or steal her last piece of kimbap. 

They may be the worst enemies, but they are the enemies that have each other backs. Cause that’s the point of their beautiful and disturbingly dysfunctional bond.