Summer's Dream

Summer's Dream

Vacation. End of the year. Anyway, my tour in Asia ended - it was all a success, by the way; my fans are the best in the world, for sure! But I really needed a break time for me, away from the spotlight, shows, sleepless nights, invasive journalists. So, instead of going to Japan or anywhere else nearby, I decided to try new airs, for real. I was on a flight to Brazil, where my name had not yet arrived. I would spend two long and beautiful weeks as a complete stranger, without managers taking care of me all the time, visiting several cities, enjoying the simple things in life. I asked my company not to disclose where I would be traveling, and I was promptly attended.

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro, my first destination. How can a place be so beautiful? I've never seen anything like it! I confess that I was surprised when I got off the plane and didn't see that crowd filling the airport and shouting my name, but that was the goal, right? I went straight to the hotel to unload my bags and sleep, after all it was already night. My next day was already planned: walk along the Ipanema beach in the morning, see the famous Christ the Redeemer and I was still going to decide what to do at night. As soon as I arrived, I noticed that someone was finishing tidying up my room. Did they not inform the employees that a guest was arriving? Have everything been arranged at the last minute? I looked at the maid and was amazed: she had Asian features. At first, I didn't even care, because I knew that many Brazilians are descendants of Koreans, Chinese and Japanese; but as soon as she saw me, she had an outbreak!

- MY GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT... KWON EUNBI?? What does my favorite singer do here?? I always dreamed of meeting you, but it was an impossible dream… Take a picture with me, give me an autograph, please….

I tried to look calm, but inside I was frustrated. Had I traveled to rest, and then I find a fan? Would it be too rude to ask her to leave me alone? I tried to ignore her at first, but she kept insisting and screaming, making such a scandal that it made me give in.

- Calm down, please ... let's take a selca then - I decided to fulfill her request; after all, it didn't cost me anything - And I'll give you my autograph too, miss...

- Here, I’m called Ana, but you can sign in my real name, Lee Chaeyeon.

- Weren't you born here in Brazil? - I ended up starting a brief conversation.   

- No, no ... I'm Korean ... my parents came here when I was a child, but today I live alone...   

I was tempted to ask more, but I didn’t want this conversation was extended and carried away even more. I really wanted to rest.

- How many days will you stay here, unnie? - she asked as she finished making my bed.

- Just one or two .. it's just a quick trip - I didn't want to tell her that I was on vacation, thinking “she would surely follow me whenever I go”. I quickly started to go to sleep and luckily she understood me.

- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you with my stuff .. If you need anything, just call, I'll be happy to assist you. Have a good night - she suddenly turned and left out.

I was impressed. In a few seconds, that maid transformed herself, from a crazy fan to a calm, polite and attentive person - did I find that charming? ... Oh, probably not! It must have been tiredness making me see something where didn't have anything. Then I lay on the bed and out.

 

 

In next day, I woke up early and did everything I planned before. That sense of freedom is addictive! Huge beaches, people walking around, wearing whatever they want… I took the opportunity to try a little Brazilian style, because in Korea I couldn't wear this beautiful black top and these jeans shorts without being on stage, in performance… and here, I can go to any place like that, it's fascinating!

The day passed by and I still hadn't decided what to do at night; I just knew that I wanted to enjoy it well, because the next night I would be on another plane, heading for São Paulo. I ended up walking aimlessly through the city, until I found a super lively place, full of bars, restaurants, close to a monument - that looked more like a building from the time of ancient Rome. I soon noticed a super nice song coming from under the arches that made up the monument... I had never seen anything like it; several musicians in circles and dozens of people dancing, all in the middle of the street! This was supposed to be the famous Brazilian samba, which conquered the world.

But, among so many people, instruments and sounds, the vocalist's voice surprised me. Was it an angel singing? I decided to get closer and, to my great surprise, I recognized the person who was singing, and I understood why I was feeling weird… it was my fan, the hotel maid… the night before, I hadn't noticed how beautiful and attractive she was… My heart missed a few beats. Am I delusional? I couldn't take my eyes off her, admiring the ease with how she sang, with the precision of the notes, and how she danced, following the rhythm of the music... it looked like an art work!

When the song ended, I bowed my head, disappointed. I wanted more! But suddenly, when I turned myself to go out, I felt a soft touch on my shoulder:

- Kwon Eunbi?

I turned my face again to see who was calling me. It was her! This time, I wouldn't treat her like I did at the hotel. I hugged her very tight and - I confess that - I was a little hyped.

- What a beautiful voice! What a presence! You were amazing!

- Aah, I'm embarrassed - she said, putting her hands back, in a sign of shyness - I must be dreaming .. my favorite idol stays at the hotel where I work, and the next day she hugs me and praises my voice? ? Someone pinches me!

Order made, order fulfilled ...

- OOOOUCH! why did you pinch me? It hurts…

- You asked for it, baby..

- HAN ?? - she opened her eyes wide and became very scared. Me and my big mouth..

- Err .. n-nothing ... look, I'm curious about something, can I ask you? It can be strange and invasive...

- You can have anything you want from me, Kwon Eunbi !! - she said with an open smile and without looking away from my eyes. God, why am I feeling this way?

- EVERYTHING I want? As well???

- You can ask anything you want, which I answer with pleasure! You are my favorite idol! Simply seeing you is already a dream come true, do you think I will miss the opportunity to talk to you??

Just talk??…. Why did i feel disappointed?? But I went on:

- I regret not having asked that before... Why did you live alone here? Where are your parents?

- It won't you bother, just like yesterday?

- No way! In fact, I went to sleep very curious about it… and today, watching you sing, I had a strange feeling, I can't explain it… but anyway, will you answer me?     

- Well, my parents died a few years ago ... since then, I’m trying to go back to Korea, to meet my relatives... but I don't have money enough for it, and even they can't help me... that's why I’m working at that hotel. I'm saving money to go back and, who knows, rebuild my life...

- Wow, what a sad story - Eunbi, didn't you have something better to say? Did I sound a little insensitive?

- It has been very difficult to endure these days, but I found strenght in your music! Without you know, you gave me so much support... that's why I am your fan... it’s you who cheers me when I'm sad and makes me start over when I want to give up! I love you!

I had already heard these three words coming out of the lips of tens of thousands of fans, I should have been used to it... but that strange feeling I had earlier just returned, and much stronger. What's happening to me??

- Are you okay, unnie?

- I-I am, perfectly fine! Why are you asking it?

- You are red and sweating cold... are you sick? It must be the weather… there in Korea it’s not that hot, your body must be feeling it.. let me get you some water - she was kind of desperate and anxious to take care of me! How can someone be so cute?

Without thinking, while she was running back and forth in search of water, I took her hand and pulled her close to me. Soon I came to my senses and walked away. What was I thinking? I didn't even know! Completely confused, I ran out, leaving her static, also confused. I crossed the street - when I found myself, I was on the floor, stretched out, with Chaeyeon over me, panting.

- Eunbi! What were you thinking? The signal was open! Didn't you see the car passing by?         

- D-did you save me ??

- Well, I just pushed you away from the street .. it was no big deal...

- What do you mean with "no big deal"? You saved my life, Chaeyeon - I was still lied on the floor, she was still on top of me.

Our eyes met and I didn't think twice: I wrapped my arms around her body and gave her a long kiss, leaving her completely stunned. Anyway, I discovered why I had that feelings since yesterday: I was falling in love. Surreal!... Falling in love in less than a day for a fan, on the other side of the world? Yeah... And I also realized that I would have to leave the next day. My heart hurt a lot.

- Chaeyeon, surely you'll call me crazy now, but I fell in love with you! - I decided to expose myself, since I had nothing to lose, while standing up - don't ask me to try to explain, because I can't! I just expected to have a vacation and get a few days of peace... but I found you, and I am completely delighted... and just thinking that I will leave you tomorrow makes me sick...

- Eunbi… you can't be serious! - She looked at me, without believe in what I was saying - You are an idol and I am just a hotel maid ... how could someone like you fall in love with someone like me????

- I told you not to ask me to explain, did I? Just accept it! Shall we just enjoy this night before we say goodbye?

- This is the best night of my life! I LOVE YOU, KWON EUNBI! - She shouted so loudly that she made all passersby stop and look at us.

- Come here - I pulled Chaeyeon around the waist and kissed her again. It almost took my breath away, I melted even more!

 

 

In the next day, after an excellent night with lots of laughters, fun and love - a lot of love -, I woke up and stretched my arms in the hotel bed. When I held out my hands, I didn't find Chaeyeon. Where did she go ? As soon as I got up, I saw her already in uniform, cleaning the furniture. I went towards her, hugging her from behind and giving several kisses on her neck.

- Eunbi! I'm working, please... - She pulled me away and kept working.

- Come back here, please… I'm leaving this place today, come and say goodbye! 

- Eunbi… I love you and I will always love you, you are my favorite idol and it gave me the best experience I ever had… but it is time for me to start waking up from this dream… I will keep this day with great affection in my mind, but please, let me get back to reality!

I felt a very sharp pang in my chest. The truth is that, despite having met her very recently, my soul was attached to her. The sincere way that she treated me, the way she looks into her eyes, without fear, a charisma that exudes in the whole place... I couldn't let her out of my life!

- Chaeyeon… what if I make this dream become your reality??

- What??? - she stopped cleaning and turned to me. - What do you mean??

- I'll make you an IRRECUSABLE proposal!

She remained in silence, so I kept talking, hoping she would understand me:

- Do you want to travel with me?

- What do you mean ???? Are you serious?? But you barely know me...

- Better yet! Isn't it the perfect time for that? I was going to spend this vacation alone .. now I want to spend with you! And that's not all ... you told me you want to see your relatives, didn't you? I'll take you back to Korea with me!

- But I can't ... I don't even have time to pack my bags! And here I have a job... there, how will I survive?? I can't quit!

That bunch of excuses was almost frustrating me, but I wasn't going to give up now.

- I can solve this quickly! I’ll buy you clothes, that's not a problem for me! And as for work ... look, you sing and dance so well... you can be a professional singer! I can get you an audition at my company, and I'm sure you'll become the best idol in Asia!

- Become an idol??? - I noticed that Chaeyeon's eyes started to shine. Had it finally reached its weak point? - You convinced me, unnie! I'll be right back!

She ran away, hopping with happiness, and leaving me euphoric. Yes, I was risking a lot, it was a big step for me. But life is made of risks, isn't it?

In a few moments, she returned with the letter of resignation in her hand. Soon we packed my bags and went to the airport.

 

I never regretted taking that step.

 

Today, a few years later, Chaeyeon is a very famous singer, more famous than me, more than any other - just as I predicted! She found her family again, and we live travelling, each one on their own tour, almost without seeing each other properly. But our holidays are close to coming again, and we took the opportunity to schedule our wedding - in Brazil, of course! It was there that our love story began, and there it will be confirmed and consummated, in that hotel room where we met for the first time.

 

I lived my summer dream. And I made it last forever.