Chapter 2: Good Morning, Darling

The Boys (Incomplete)

Yoseob stretched lazily and cranked an eye open, squinting against the morning light streaming through his window. “Uhhhh…” He yawned and heaved himself up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Hair tousled, he stumbled tiredly into the bathroom. “Goddamnit, why did I let Gikwang talk me into hanging out with him so late last night…” He peered at his reflection in the mirror and whimpered. “Man…”

He swiped a washcloth off the rack by his shower and wet it with warm water, then scrubbed it vigorously over his face. “Exfoliation… Exfoliation will solve everything…” Yoseob repeated over and over, like a mantra. He cautiously peeked at himself in the mirror, then resumed scrubbing with renewed vigor. By the time he finally stopped, his face was glowing red and painful.

“Damnit!” Yoseob gave up. His face looked as tired as ever. He couldn’t go to work like this!

Two minutes later, he was safely dressed in an old sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants. “Okay,” he muttered to himself. “Open the door, run up the stairs, knock on hyung’s door. Really fast.”

He took a deep breath, then opened the door of his flat and dashed up the stairs. “HYUNGGGGGGGG!” He pounded on the door as if he was trying to break it down.

“Hnnnnnnng,” came a groan from the other side, then a loud thump. Thank god he liked to sleep on the couch; Yoseob made a mental note not to bother him about it.

“Hyung! Open the door!”

“Cominggggg,” his hyung said, then spent a while fumbling with the lock on the door before opening it. “What…” he yawned, doe-eyed and dewy-complexioned even in the early hours of the morning.

“Seungie! Help me!” Yoseob crashed into the flat and pulled his hood down, expecting a gasp or exclamation of horror.

Hyunseung looked at him and blinked his long-lashed eyes slowly.

“I look terrible!” Yoseob cried.

“Seobie, I don’t understand what it is that you’re so worked up about,” Hyungseung said, stifling another yawn.

“LOOK AT ME!” Yoseob wailed.

“You baby,” Hyunseung shook his head fondly. “Sit down.”

Yoseob collapsed in a heap on his hyung’s couch.

“Hold this,” Hyunseung ordered, handing his dongsaeng a mirror.

“Why-” Yoseob began to ask, then flinched. “Urrghh…” He gurgled, staring at his reflection.

“You shouldn’t have given in to Kwangie again, Seobie,” Hyunseung reprimanded him.

Still traumatized, Yoseob didn’t reply.

“Yang Yoseob! Snap out of it!” Hyunseung smacked him lightly on the cheek. “Stop staring at yourself. You’ll be fine in a sec, like you always are.”

Yoseob nodded numbly.

“I’m always telling you to buy some toner and moisturizer, but you never listen. You know that I’m the victim here, being woken up so early.”

“Sorry…” Yoseob mumbled.

“It’s okay, I guess,” Hyunseung said. “Now, you know what to do.”

Yoseob shut his eyes tight and tilted his face up as Hyunseung dotted tinted moisturizer onto his face and smoothed it out.

“All done. You didn’t really need it in the first place anyway,” Hyunseung finished and leaned back to look at his work.

“Thanks hyung,” Yoseob grinned at his reflection in the mirror, pleased.

“You really gotta learn how to do this yourself,” his hyung complained. “This face right here,” Hyunseung continued, gesturing at his face, “can’t stay beautiful without sleep.”

“Really, hyung? How come I hear thumping noises at night?” Yoseob asked innocently as he left, not noticing Hyunseung’s deer-in-the-headlights expression.

“Have fun at work,” Hyunseung called weakly, and collapsed on the couch, relieved beyond words at Yoseob’s naivete. “Good thing Seobie’s so clueless…”

Oblivious, Yoseob whistled happily as he changed into a slightly loose but clingy black v-neck sweater and wash-out black jeans. After accentuating the look with a pair of checkered Vans, he left for work at the radio station.

***

“Noona! Annyeong!” Yoseob called merrily as he swung into a bustling café, not noticing the sudden hush that descended as he entered.

“Oh! Annyeong! Running late today, I see?” The mistress of the café greeted him, looking up.

“You can blame Gikwang for that,” Yoseob said good naturedly as he leaned against the counter. “You know how he gets when he doesn’t have anything to do. Besides, samchon doesn’t mind if I’m a little late.”

“It’s amazing how many stares you draw every morning; I believe you’re the reason behind the good business,” Mistress Ji Hye smiled fondly at him.

 “What do you mean?” Yoseob looked puzzled as he turned  and looked around, totally oblivious to the sudden flurry of motion as everyone resumed what they had been doing before his entrance. Turning back, he stated: “It’s not as if the others are here. I’m not much to look at compared to them.”

Ji Hye chuckled. “Of course, Yoseob-goon,” she said, hiding her smile as she handed him his hot chocolate and croissant. “Whatever you say.”

“Gomawo, noona!” Yoseob thanked her cheerfully as he walked towards the door.

“I’ll see the six of you on tomorrow, then?”

“Tomorrow’s Friday, right? Of course! We wouldn’t miss a day,” Yoseob answered.

“Okay; see you tomorrow,” Ji Hye waved, smiling.

“Annyeong, noona~” Yoseob waved back cutely and winked before he ducked out the door.

There was a moment of silence, a sort of tribute to his aegyo.

“Aigoo…” More than a few people sighed.

Ji Hye smiled to herself. Yup; her food wasn’t the only thing attracting the customers.

***

Walking to the radio station, Yoseob tore into his croissant like he was a boy of ten stuffing his face, rather than a man in his twenties. “Yum,” he pronounced. “Ji Hye noona really does make the best food,” he said into thin air as he crossed the street, attracting several stares. As inobservant as ever, he sipped his hot chocolate and almost moaned with delight. “Oh! Noona even gave me marshmallows,” he said happily, peering into the cup. Little did he know, that little burst of aegyo made many people just that much happier.

Alternately whistling and slurping his hot chocolate, Yoseob reached the workplace. “Annyeong, hyung!” He greeted the security guard.

“Late again, Yoseob?” The guard grinned at him. “You’re lucky the boss is friends with your appa, or else you have been long gone by now,” he told him as he let him through.

“I know I’m lucky; I give thanks every time I’m late,” Yoseob joked, walking into the building. “I’ll see you later, hyung!”

“See ya!”

Yoseob took the stairs two at a time, careful to keep his eyes on his sloshing drink. As he was ascending the last flight of stairs, he heard the sound of laughter and the unmistakable sound of sobbing, moments before a small figure in black ran past him, almost knocking him over. “Hey-“ He started to protest, indignant, but stopped as he saw something on the floor. “What’s this?” He wondered, picking it up. It was a small black book, obviously dropped by the mystery girl in her haste.

“Stuff I need to remember,” Yoseob read aloud, opening the book to the first page. “Phone number, address, security code for work,” he continued, scanning the page. “A notebook, maybe?” He guessed, but when he flipped to the next page, he saw that he was wrong.

Dear Diary, it read. I’ve really decided, this time, to record what happens to me everyday…