soulmates

soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun’s content. He’s content lying in bed, with Sunggyu in his arms, tracing the black lettering of Sunggyu’s soulmate’s name inked into his partner’s skin across his collarbone. His fingers follow the lines that don’t spell out Woohyun’s name; the letters spell out a name belonging to a Kim Myungsoo. Someone who isn’t Woohyun.

“What will you do if you ever meet Myungsoo?” he whispers and lifts his gaze to look at Sunggyu’s face, his partner’s eyes are closed and his breathing is deep as if he were asleep, but Woohyun knows better than to think Sunggyu’s asleep.

His partner sighs and opens his eyes a tad bit, he repeats the words he’s said countless times before. “I’d explain to them, that even though we’re soulmates, I’m taken and in love.”

Woohyun’s insecurities spill from his lips before he can stop them. “But what if they don’t listen. What if they want a relationship, what if they think they’re entitled to a relationship with you because you’re soulmates, what if they think like everyone else and doesn’t think its right for us to be together? We’re not soulmates, Sunggyu.” His eyes burn. “I can’t lose you as well.”

Sunggyu’s eyes open further as he brings a hand up to cup the side of Woohyun’s face, he thumbs the soft skin underneath his eye. “It doesn’t matter what they say, Woohyun, because I don’t want a relationship with them, they’re not entitled to anything just because we were born with each other’s names on our skin.” Sunggyu leans forward and kisses Woohyun softly, a gentle press of their lips. “And since when have either of us cared about what anyone, other than each other, thinks?”

“I don’t care what they think.” Woohyun answers without hesitation before swallowing. “But what if it’s easier for you to be with Myungsoo, people already look at us disapprovingly once they find out we’re not soulmates and my mark’s scarred.” A tear slips from Woohyun’s eye. “They think I’m some horrible person for being with you when Myungsoo is alive and Sungyeol is dead. Like I’ve stolen you from them.” Woohyun had watched his own soulmate die in the ER. They had only just met the hour before on the subway after Woohyun had seen his name written across Sungyeol’s neck and struck up a conversation that had only lasted twenty minutes before a pillar had collapsed, sending tons upon tons of cement crashing down on the subway. Woohyun would’ve been dead too if it weren’t for Sungyeol pushing him out of the way and taking most of the impact. He held Sungyeol’s hand as his heart petered out and for the hours after.

No one ever prepares you for when your soulmate dies; the burning of your mark as the black leeches from your skin, leaving only fresh scarring that’ll never fade. Now Lee Sungyeol’s name is scarred instead of inked, across Woohyun’s chest forever.

“Woohyun, I love you, you’re not going to lose me no matter if I meet Myungsoo or not, you’re who I want to be with, you’re who I love,” he says softly, letting his hand drift down to the scarring across Woohyun’s chest. “It doesn’t matter that we were born without each other’s name on our skin because  soulmates; I love you and that’s all that matters.”

“You promise?” Woohyun’s voice is small and childlike.

Sunggyu smiles lovingly at his partner. “I promise, Woohyun, it’s you and I against the world, forever.”

-

“Who’s the lucky person that gets to have you all to themselves today?” Sunggyu asks through a mouthful of cornflakes.

Woohyun rolls his eyes and finishes packing up his camera gear. “First off, that’s gross, don’t talk with your mouth full, and secondly, I don’t know.” He shrugs. “Some actor? I’m not sure – they’re modelling some of Sungjong’s new line and our little maknae talked me up so I could get this job so I can’t it up.”

Sunggyu puts down his spoon and, thankfully, speaks without food in his mouth this time. “You won’t it up, Hyun-ah, your photos always turn out gorgeous.”

He hums. “Only ‘cause I take photos of pretty people for a living.” He says while grabbing a spare battery and packing his lunch, a plain salad, and his breakfast smoothie, just a bunch of greens, a banana, some honey, lime and coconut water blended.

Sunggyu tries not to turn his nose up at the smoothie as he answers. “Even pretty people look horrible when the photographer – you’re talented beyond belief.” He says and smiles up at his partner.

“Thanks, babe, for believing in me.” Woohyun leans down and pecks Sunggyu’s cheek. “Want me to pick up anything on the way home?”

“Take out, neither of us will feel like cooking tonight, and,” Sunggyu glances back at the kitchen in hopes of jogging his memory, “I’ll text you a shopping list before lunch.”

“Sounds good.” He says and kisses Sunggyu’s lips softly. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“Love you, Hyun-ah.”

Something settles inside of Woohyun after hearing Sunggyu say those words. “Love you too, Gyu hyung.”

-

Woohyun tugs his scarf off, shrugs his coat off to hand to the cloakroom attendant. “Thank you.” Woohyun says and smiles at the teenager Sungjong had employed for the position.

“Anytime, Woohyun-ssi.” The boy says with a big smile and disappears behind a curtain with Woohyun’s belongings.

He runs a hand through his hair to rid of any snowflakes that had taken residence in his hair during the walk and heads towards the reception desk.

The receptionist barely even glances at Woohyun before talking. “Sungjong-ssi’s put aside floor three for you to work on and your client will arrive in ten minutes.” She reaches behind her and grabs something from the printer to hand to Woohyun. “And don’t be surprised if you have an unexpected visitor at some point, Woohyun-ssi.”

He rolls his eyes and takes the form from Heejin. “I’ll look forward to Sungjong’s maybe visit. Thanks, Heejin noona, have a nice day.” He says and leaves after receiving a small wave and a smile from the older woman.

Woohyun swipes his ID card over the scanner and presses the floor three buttons on the screen before taking a step back and reading over the form he’d been giving. He scoffs when reading the title. “A safe at work survey? Really Sungjong? I don’t even work here.” Woohyun shakes his head and folds the paper to store away in his back jean pocket.

The elevator arrives just in time and Woohyun boards it alone and thankfully doesn’t have to pick anyone up on the way, getting out on level three rather quickly. The floor is the same as he remembers – exposed brick walls and pretty empty even with the clothes hanging on a wardrobe rack, the temporary change room and makeup station.

Woohyun wanders over to where Sungjong’s had a white background sheet and the lights set up for him. He busies himself with setting up his own equipment, so involved with trying to get his settings all right and taking test shots that he doesn’t notice the elevator arrive and a small group of people step out. He only notices when someone yells out his name.

“Woohyun!” he looks up and comes face to face with Bora, her arms wrap around him in a hug and Woohyun returns it with one arm, being careful of the camera in his other hand.

He smiles at her when they pull apart. “It’s good to see you too, Bora.”

She smiles just as wide back at him. “I didn’t expect to be working with you today, don’t you have a casual thing with that new magazine in Incheon?” she asks.

“Yeah, I do, but I’m still allowed to take other jobs, noona.” He says and lifts his camera to take a quick shot of her, he glances over at his laptop and sees the photo flash up on the screen. He nods, satisfied with the product. “I haven’t even got all my settings worked out completely and your photo still turned out perfect.”

Bora rolls her eyes at him and pinches his cheek. “Cheeky kid.” She mumbles and excuses herself to set herself up at the makeup station in the corner.

He laughs lightly and sets his camera aside, walking forward a few steps to introduce himself to the two others in the room: the first man has a serious expression schooled over his face while the other man is smiling softly at him and Woohyun vaguely knows him from somewhere. “I’m Nam Woohyun, your photographer for today.” He says and holds his hand out for someone to shake.

The more serious man, the manager, Woohyun presumes, takes his hand and shakes it. “Lee Howon, this kid’s manager,” Howon says while tilting his head to gesture beside him.

The younger man rolls his eyes and holds his hand out for Woohyun to shake – which Woohyun gladly does. “I’m Kim Myungsoo,” Woohyun’s movement’s stutter at the name, an onslaught of thoughts and fears come to the forefront of his mind but Woohyun wills them away. Kim Myungsoo is a common enough name. “And I’m not a kid, Hoya hyung, you barely have a year on me.”

Woohyun takes back his hand and lets his palm press against Sungyeol’s name to ground himself. He forces a smile. “It’s nice to meet you both, why don’t you head over to Bora and she can run you through how today will play out while I finish setting up here.”

Myungsoo nods excitedly and strides over to Bora, mumbling something along the lines of ‘always wanting to model for Lee Sungjong’s brand.’

Woohyun shakes his head and takes a deep breath, he rubs his mark softly. “It’s a common name, Woohyun, don’t jump to conclusions.” He casts a quick look Myungsoo’s way before tending to his camera again and making sure the cord is connected properly.

“He’s not your soulmate.”

His camera nearly falls from his hands at the sudden comment. Woohyun quickly tightens his grip on the camera before turning his attention to Howon. “My soulmate’s dead. So I’m fully aware Myungsoo isn’t mine.” Woohyun laughs without humour and turns away. “Go do your manager things and let me do my job.”

-

A few hours pass as well as multiple style changes. Woohyun puts down his camera and pulls down his sleeves to cover his hands. “We’ll break for a light lunch and then move onto the more risqué shots.”

“How risqué is risqué?” Howon asks, pulling out two packed lunches for himself and the actor.

Woohyun shrugs, “Shirt buttons undone? Nothing more than that.” He says while reaching into his own bag for his salad.

Myungsoo looks panicked for a moment, turning his head to look at Howon. “Will my-“

“We’ll get it covered before then, don’t worry, Myungsoo.” The manager says soothingly, handing Myungsoo his lunch.

Woohyun can’t help but be curious. “Get what covered?”

“My soulmate’s name – I keep it out of the public eye to avoid a scandal.”

Woohyun nods and pulls his phone out of his back pocket to see eight new messages from Sunggyu. “Makes sense.” He says while unlocking his phone and snorts at the first few texts.

 

Gyu~ - we’re out of lube – 10:43
Gyu~ - and condoms. – 10:43
Gyu~ - they’re more important than milk and eggs – 10:44
Gyu~ - oh – 10:44
Gyu~ - we’re also out of your weird protein powder – 10:45
Gyu~ - so get some of that as well as shampoo and mouthwash – 10:46
Gyu~ - new toothbrushes too – 10:48
Gyu~ - and I’m craving thai – 10:51

 

“Girlfriend?”

Woohyun jumps and his head snaps up to look at Myungsoo. “No um, boyfriend.”

“Cool, thought it was your soulmate, you had this loving smile on your face and I’m jealous,” Myungsoo whines playfully and digs into his first cucumber sandwich, making a face when he begins to chew. He pulls the sandwich back and glares at it. “Ew, margarine.”

Sungyeol’s name itches and Woohyun refuses the urge to press against the scarring. “We’re not-“ he clears his throat and sits up straight. “We’re not soulmates.” His voice comes out clear, strong and confident, not a hint of shame or guilt seep into his words.

“Oh. That’s unexpected, I haven’t run across many people not dating their soulmates or waiting for them, I’m waiting for mine-” Myungsoo seems to stop himself and his eyes widen. “- I didn’t mean to be rude or insensitive, you can date whoever you want to, I didn’t mean anything by it- it's just-“

“Unusual? Against the norm? Yeah, Sunggyu and I get that a lot but we’re used to it by now.” Woohyun shrugs while typing out his replies to Sunggyu – sending something witty back about their life, defending his protein powder and promising to pick up Thai on the way home.

Woohyun doesn’t notice Myungsoo freeze. “Sunggyu?” he asks cautiously.

“Yeah, my boyfriend Sunggyu; we’ll hit five years together in November.” Woohyun again doesn’t notice Myungsoo’s shoulders deflate a tad at the revelation, too busy responding to the new texts Sunggyu had responded with – a gif of someone rolling their eyes, the puke emoji and that he just wants the usual.

Myungsoo smiles. “That’s sweet, I can’t wait to meet my soulmate and have a relationship with them.” A few moments pass. “Don’t you want a relationship with your soulmate?”

And Woohyun tenses, his fingers stop typing m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter