Chapter 2

My Mother Is Kim Taeyeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun loved her life in London. She went to one of the best schools, had great friends and learnt so much. From moving to South Korea at a young age she grew to understand society and the way people were, but going back to the UK she saw a huge difference in the way things were and she treasured being able to experience it all.

 

One thing about Seoul and London was that they were both highly populated cities surrounded by life. Joohyun enjoyed meeting people and just having fun in general. She often went out to eat with her friends, or visit the theatre with her cousins. Whatever it was she was doing she was always grateful for the way her life planned out.

 

Taeyeon may have lived on the other side of the world for 5 years but she always made sure she was a mother towards Joohyun. She provided a weekly allowance for Joohyun and even sent money to Joohyun’s grandma as a thank you for looking after her. Joohyun’s grandma refused the idea of accepting Taeyeon’s money because she didn’t need someone to pay her to look after her granddaughter, that was a responsibility she’d take on without question. Eventually Taeyeon and Joohyun’s grandma came to an agreement that the money she sent over monthly would be put in a trust fund for Joohyun and when she turns 21 she would have the choice of doing whatever she wanted with the money. Taeyeon and Joohyun’s grandma respected that Joohyun could decide her own path in life and they just wanted to go through it all with her. 

 

Taeyeon wanted to be there during her hardest and best times and did whatever she could to make that possible. She would often clear her schedule and book the first flight to London if she ever received a message that Joohyun went down with the slightest cold. When Joohyun had her first day of school every year her mother would spend the whole morning on the way to school, talking to Joohyun on the phone about her hopes and goals for the upcoming year. When Taeyeon couldn’t make Joohyun’s dance competitions, drama plays or sports events she’d make sure to video call Joohyun’s grandma and cheer on as if she were there. 

 

There was one time where Joohyun was beyond nervous about her dance competition that Taeyeon stayed up until 5am helping her calm down until she fell asleep. It didn’t matter to Taeyeon that her schedule was full that day, her daughter feeling comfortable was the most important thing. 

 

Joohyun was practicing her choreography for the 30th time tonight. She was half way through it, when she moved her right arm in the wrong direction. 

 

“LEFT JOOHYUN. LEFT !” she huffed and puffed for the hundredth time tonight. She just wanted it to be perfect, so that if the judges said she did bad it wouldn’t be because she did try her hardest. Joohyun was humble, but she was also very competitive and by being competitive she was often determined and stubborn.

 

Joohyun’s grandmother heard her frustrated moans and decided to call Taeyeon, knowing it would boost her morale. She completely forgot about the 9 hour time difference, but before she could lock off the phone stopped ringing and she heard a tired voice on the other line.

 

“Hello Boa. What happened? Is Joohyun okay?” said Taeyeon.

 

“Hello Taeyeon, I’m so sorry to wake you. You must be so tired. I forgot about the time difference and just had to call you. Joohyun is okay. I mean she isn’t okay”. Boa breathed out.

 

“Boa what do you mean Joohyun isn’t okay? What are you talking about? What happened?” Taeyeon tried to say as calmly as possible. Shuffling was heard on the other line and I guess you could say sleep was long forgotten in Taeyeon’s mind.

 

“She’s okay Taeyeon. It’s just that I didn’t mean to wake you up, I know you’re busy. It was a spur of the moment decision and I clearly didn’t think this through. It’s just...Joohyun being difficult right now and -”.

 

“Boa”. Taeyeon said firmly and Boa stopped her rambling. “Joohyun is my daughter and I am on the other side of the world from her. You know my schedule and the time doesn't matter when it comes to my daughter.” Joohyun said calmly. “Now. I am wide awake. Please tell me what happened to my daughter”.

 

“You’re right. I’m sorry Taeyeon” Boa said sincerely. “Now back to Joohyun. I’m sure you know that she has her dance competition in two days time?”.

 

“Yes. The seasonal one right?” Taeyeon said.

 

“Well Joohyun has been practicing extra hard the past few days. She’s barely been finishing her meals and I hear her groaning and shouting every night. She keeps telling me how once she will perfects these moves she won’t be stressed out, but I know her and she’s just going to over work herself until the competition is over”. Boa stressed out her concerns.

 

“It’s okay Boa. Thank you for telling me. I’m going to ring her now okay? I will get back to you when she’s back to herself” Taeyeon said.

 

“Okay Taeyeon. Thank you and again I’m sorry for earlier” Boa said.

 

“Don’t stress Boa. You do your best. I will deal with her” Taeyeon breathed out.

 

“Bye Taeyeon.”

 

“Bye Boa and thank you.” Taeyeon then locked off the phone. Boa’s lips twitched into a small smile knowing Joohyun will be much calmer after talking with her mother.

 

Taeyeon checked the time on her phone and sighed seeing it was just past 2am. She was beyond tired after getting back to Seoul from promoting in Japan and she had to be up in 4 hours to begin her schedule. She sat for a few moments thinking about the day ahead; her fitting at 7am, hair salon appointment at 9:30 am, her makeup appointment at 11am, the interview she had on Idol Radio at 12:30pm, then another interview on a news station at 3pm, the fan meet she had at 6;30pm and then her usua

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter