— 3 —

Our Secret Love Song

Choi Jongho:

 

I couldn’t believe it. Never would I have ever. Yeosang was hospitalized and didn’t wake up for five days, sleeping soundly in his hospital bed while everyone else was freaking out in the waiting room.

“I can’t believe his Eomma would do that to him!” Yunho exclaimed, pacing the edges of the room like if he did, everything would point in his favour. I sighed.

“She wasn’t aiming for him: she was aiming for me for blocking her way to Yeosang. God, he must’ve been so scared and I just ... stood there. I did nothing.” I moaned, burying my face in my hands and Eomma tutted.

“If it was the other way around, Yeosang would be freaking out too. He would blame himself more than you do right now. Maybe this is for the best; maybe this is what it takes for him to heal and move on from the hope he still has for her.” Eomma pointed out and I gaped at her.

“How can you think of that when my ... Yeosang is in there unconscious and possibly fighting for survival?” I asked and Eomma raised an eyebrow at me in question.

“Your what?” She asked and I shook my head. I wasn’t going to say anything. I wasn’t going to give in so easily.

“Nothing.” I said and Eomma looked away. “Uh-huh.” She muttered and I blushed slightly as I stared at Yeosang’s door, waiting for some news: for anything. San walked into the waiting room with a box of doughnuts from Dunkin' Doughnuts down the street and opened it up, letting everyone swarm to get one of their own. I stayed right where I was as if rooted to the spot and Eomma glanced at me as she relaxed into the cushions she was sitting on. She hadn’t moved to get anything either.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to eat one?” She questioned and I nodded, pursing my lips into a thin line.

 “I’m sure.” I said when she gave me one of her signature looks that plainly said that she didn’t believe me. “I’m not hungry; really, I’m not.” I told her and she just nodded, looking at the door when it slowly creaked open. A doctor appeared with a clipboard in his hand. He glanced up at us then looked at the clipboard, deciding something.

“You’re friends of Kang Yeosang, correct?” He asked, bored. Eomma nodded as she stood up, my sisters standing up right behind her. They had taken a sort of liking to Yeosang and I could tell that they actually were worried about him too. “Follow me then.” He muttered, rolling his eyes as we made our way to Yeosang’s room: everyone was deadly silent like if they spoke, things would crumble. I in a huge breath when we entered Yeosang’s room. He was sitting up, awake, and when we walked inside, he turned to smile at us. His eyes even lit up as he spotted me and I grinned at him. His head was wrapped in bandage, but other than that he was fine — no concussions or anything like that, but just a little tear of the skin. At least that was what the doctor said on the way here.

 “Yeosang, darling, how are you feeling?” Eomma asked and Yeosang grinned, holding two thumbs up.

“Great." He said, but his voice was quiet and slightly shaky. When he looked up at us again, he was playing with his fingernails and his eyes were starting to tear up. “Did she ...” He trailed off and Eomma sighed.

“She left, Yeosang. I’m sorry.” She murmured and Yeosang laughed.

“What for?” He questioned. “I’m happy that I’m not living with her anymore. The house always reeked of alcohol and she was absolutely and utterly horrible to me. I’m just happy I have no siblings, who have to go through the same things as I do.” He explained and Eomma nodded.

“That makes sense.” She said. She stared at Yeosang. “You can stay at ours as long as you'd like, you know that right, Yeosang, darling?” She asked and Yeosang’s head whipped up. He winced.

“Really?” He questioned in disbelief and Eomma nodded. He smiled, glancing on the room, when his eyes fell on my face. He his lips nervously, my eyes following the movements. “C-Can I — Can I talk to Jongho alone ... please?"

 “Of course, honey.” Eomma said and gestured for the others to follow her. The doctor had long since left after he had acquainted us here. Yeosang turned to me once they all had disappeared and smiled.

“I’m sorry for pulling away on the date and being a sobbing mess. I really like you Jongho.” He said and I went and sat in the chair next to him. He sat up a bit and shuffled closer to me.

“Yeosang ~” He cut me off as he grabbed my collar, tugging me closer and pressing his lips to mine. I blinked in surprise, before my eyelids fell shut. Our lips moved against each other, soft and sweet. We were both craving for each other, but in a warm and comforting way. Fireworks burst in my stomach, rainbows printing my closed eyelids and Yeosang pulled back for a breath of air.

“Let me finish.” He whispered and I nodded, dumbfounded. “But, now that I’m away from my parents, I want to try again. My parents never supported gay's, so I was scared, but now they both know.” He told me, eyes sparkling. “So, Choi Jongho, will you be my boyfriend?” He asked and I nodded, staring at him for a moment, before I sealed our lips together once more, almost like I was putting in a missing puzzle piece I hadn’t realised was missing. But, now that I knew what it was like being complete, I never wanted Yeosang to leave.

“Oh ... they’re kissing ...” Laughter resonated off the walls and we pulled apart with matching rosy cheeks, smiling goofily at each other.

 

Song Mingi:

 

Things got better after the little incident with Yeosang and his parents. He got better and Jongho and him got into a relationship that still seems to be in the disbelief stages. Whenever one of them kisses the other, they still look kind of shook or surprised. It’s actually really cute. I opened my locker, the others by my side. A blue letter was nudged into the corner and I grinned, grabbing the letter and hurriedly opening it.

 

Dear Mingi,

Valentine’s day is coming up pretty soon. Maybe I could step up and reveal my identity, yeah? Would that be okay?

Anyways, I want you to look around the corridor you are currently in. One of those people could be me. I’m not trying to say that you’ll never know who I am and I’m here to rub it in your face or anything, but I want you to know that someday — someday, we’ll get to meet in person. Someday, I’ll get to verbally say that I fell for you: someday I’ll get to verbally say I love you. Wouldn’t that be great? Always thinking of you,

Love, Y.

 

I sighed, dreamily, hugging the letter closer to my chest. I glanced around the hallway like Y had told me, but the only people were a bunch of teenage girls and my friends. I frowned. It was like he knew exactly were I was and where he was going to be. Why did I get this strange feeling that the person I was looking for was right where I was looking. Seonghwa gulped as I narrowed my eyes at Yunho, who was chatting to San and Wooyoung as they laughed and danced. He danced. His name started with a Y. Could he be ... my Y? I shook my head; no, that wasn’t possible. Wooyoung said that he had the hot's for someone else. Someone that’s not me. Why did I get the feeling I was looking at Y though?

“M-Mingi, I — do you mind if I ...” I handed the note to Seonghwa without looking at him and Seonghwa read through the note. Seonghwa smacked his head.

“Darn you.” He muttered and I glanced at him before looking around at the whole entire group, who had their eyes fixed on the blue letter. Seonghwa handed it back to me and I carefully folded it and took off my backpack. I opened it up and grabbed a tin at the bottom of my bag and opened that too, revealing the multiple letters I had gotten. I put the blue one inside and clicked it shut, tucking it back into my backpack and zipping it up. I slung it onto my shoulder.

“I know that you know who Y is.” I told them and Hongjoong opened his mouth to protest, but I held my hand up. He shut it with a snap. I glanced around, my gaze lingering on Yunho for longer than the others. “And I think I know who it is too.” I said, smirking, before walking past them and making my way down the corridor.

Now that I thought about it, Yunho was absolutely gorgeous. He had bright blue hair that fell over his forehead in elegant, fluffy strands. His brown eyes seemed to sparkle wherever he looked and his smile lit up the world. He was like an angel from Heaven. I smiled, but then it faltered. What if Yunho wasn’t actually Y and I was wrong?

 

Jeong Yunho:

 

“! Mingi knows it’s you, Yunho!” Wooyoung exclaimed as we were once again sat at the Café Yeonjun worked at. I sighed and leant back in my chair. I sipped at the hot chocolate I had ordered. San patted Wooyoung’s back as he was currently freaking out more than I was.

“I know. In the letter, I told him that it was Valentine’s day soon. In what ... two weeks?” I asked and they nodded. “Then, I reveal my identity and I have just the way to do it.” I smirked, gesturing for them to lean closer, whispering the plan to them. Hongjoong choked on his coffee.

“That’s the best plan ever!” He said. I smiled.

“Why thank you, Hongjoong.” I said and Seonghwa smiled slightly as he rested his head on Hongjoong’s shoulder.

“We actually have something to confess to you guys.” He muttered and my eyebrows rose. I had a feeling I knew what he was going to say. “Me and Hongjoong are together.” He stated and I stared at him for a moment. I drank some more of my hot coco.

“For how long?” San asked. “Recently? Long?” He asked and Hongjoong glanced at Seonghwa. He shrugged and Hongjoong sighed.

“Um ... six months?” It came out more of a question and Wooyoung started to splutter out unintelligent words from thin air.

“Six months?” He finally managed to choke out. “What the ? How did we not know back then?” He asked and I smiled.

“We knew you were going to get together, but just not when. I’m happy for you guys.” I told them and Seonghwa smiled, putting his hand on top of mine. His warmth brought me a certain amount of reassurance, but not a lot.

“And you will get your partner soon, Yunho, okay?” I nodded and he smiled, removing his hand and settling back into Hongjoong. I sighed.

 

 

When I arrived at school and the corridor was empty because people were at Lunch, I inserted Mingi's code into his locker. Hongjoong had told me, okay? I’m not a creepy stalker! I went to put the letter inside, but spotted a yellow piece of paper in the spot I usually put my letter in. I took the letter, tucking it into my pocket and slid the note in its place. Glancing around, I shut the locker and carried on walking to the cafeteria. Before I arrived though, I leant against the wall and opened the letter carefully, cautiously scanning what was written.

 

Dear Y,

I don’t know your name or what you look like, but I have a feeling I know exactly who you are. But, if I’m wrong, I’m really sorry.

Take your time when telling me who you are, but in my opinion, Valentine’s day is a perfect day to reveal your identity. Honestly, I thought that these letters would be one of those stupid fan girls that always scream and follow me around, but it wasn’t. And I’m thankful that you decided to write to me, Y, I really am. You may think that things will be different when I meet you in person, but they won’t. You’ll still be the same kind and funny Y, I’ve come to love and cherish when reading your letters. I think I’m falling for you, Y.

Love, Song Mingi.

 

I blinked, then put my hand to my mouth in shock. I stood in the hall for a moment, before I shook my head and folded the letter, tucking it into my pocket. I strode into the cafeteria, crossing my fingers that Valentine’s day would drift closer faster.

 

Jung Wooyoung:

 

“Everyone’s together, Sannie.” I whined, burying my face further into the crook of San’s neck. I nuzzled my cheek against his throat and San chuckled at my behaviour, before his hands were at my waist, gently pushing my backwards.

“Not everyone, Youngie.” He pointed out. “Mingi’s single. Yunho’s single. I’m single. You’re single.” His eyes grew slightly sad when he said that he was single. I glanced at him before cupping his cheeks.

“What’s wrong, Sannie?” I asked and San lifted his hands, placing his over mine. We were curled together in my room, sitting on my bed. We had been cuddling when I had brought this up and I kind of wish I hadn’t because San's face made me feel so guilty for doing so. He looked so heartbroken.

“Nothing, it’s just ...” He trailed off and I irked an eyebrow.

“It’s just?” I prompted. And he sighed, closing his eyes and he pushed his face closer into my palms.

“It’s just ... Valentine’s day is tomorrow and I have someone I want to ask, but I’m scared that they’ll reject me. What do I do Youngie?” He asked and my heart crumble a little when he said that had already had someone in mind. I had taken a liking to Sannie the first time we had met and soon, feelings started to form. I was just trying my best to hide them. I shrugged.

“Just ask them.” I said and San took a deep breath.

“Okay.” He stared at me for a moment. “Will you be my Valentine’s?” He asked and my mouth fell open.

“I ... w-what?” I stuttered and he giggled.

“You told me to ask them and I did. So, Youngie, will you be my Valentine’s?” He repeated and I nodded. Smiling, San placed a chaste kiss to my cheek. We continued cuddling, until San had to go.