Mixed Signals

Home Is Where You Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Solji woke up to loud banging sounds outside her room. "I really shouldn't have bought Hyelin that drum set for Christmas..." The orangey haired woman said to herself as she dragged herself out of bed. Solji knows it was a way her younger sister would use to wake her up. Since a year ago, Solji slept more and more. She fell into a depression and she was cold to everyone including Hyelin. But Hyelin never gave Solji cold shoulders. Even when her big sister would scold her for being annoying, Hyelin would always continue to annoy her because she secretly knows that the older woman was never truly annoyed at her.

 

"I'm awake, you can stop playing the drums now." Solji snatched the drum sticks off of Hyelin's hands and the younger woman pouted. She always wondered how is Hyelin a hundred times cuter than her when they came out of the same .

 

"Unnie, I wasn't trying to wake you up. Playing drums is my passion." Hyelin was always too cute to be a drummer. She should be a comedienne.

 

"I don't know why you wake me up every day. I have nothing to do, Hyelin." Solji plopped down onto the couch with her face burying into one of the sushi cushion that Hyelin loves.

 

"Yes you are. You are doing something every day and that is wasting your life away. When was the last time you really went out? When was the last time you had a job?" When was the last time you had real interaction with people outside? When was the last time you contacted your friends?" Hyelin sat next to Solji, and turned her around.

 

"I don't have friends anymore." And that was true. Solji and Hyelin used to have a group of friends from their childhood. Solji, Hyojin, Hani, Hyelin, Junghwa. They were all good friends. Solji and Hani had something special, they dated for three years before Hani dumped her for some rookie actress, and she heard that the rookie actress is now a famous actress. Solji always felt like she was holding Hani back. The younger woman had ambitions. She wanted to be a singer, she wanted to be a model, she wanted to go to a big city. But Solji held her back in their village that is Jeonju. After Hani dumped Solji, the group kind of fell apart. Solji became a homebody, Hyelin continued to study in university and has now gotten a full time job at a bank company. Hyojin moved to Seoul not long after Hani did, and Junghwa followed Hyelin's footsteps, finishing her education before working as a choreographer in an entertainment company in Seoul, hopping on to the bandwagon much like everyone else. Solji knows that she's holding Hyelin back too, but the younger woman was her only family left. 

 

"Which is why you are going to Seoul tomorrow." Hyelin handed a piece of paper to Solji who was now sitting up straight on the couch.

 

"What?" 

 

"Go to this place." Hyelin eyed the piece of paper in Solji's hand.

 

"What's this place?"

 

"Hyojin unnie owns this cafe." 

 

"Hyojin? How'd you know?" 

 

"We've been contacting each other since the day we parted ways. She still cares for you." 

 

There was something different about the way Hyelin said the last part. Like, there was a hidden meaning behind it, and Solji did not like what was going to come next. Of course Hyojin still cares for her, right? They might not contact each other anymore, their group might have fallen apart, but they're still friends. They're still childhood friends. Of course Hyojin still cares about her.

 

"Of course she would. I care for her too." 

 

"You stopped caring ever since that day. You stopped caring about anything." 

 

"Hyelin, don't you dare go there." Solji warned, every time Hyelin tried to steer their conversation to the direction that Solji did not like, she'd use her big sister tone, the only time she would use her big sister tone.

 

"Was Hani unnie really the only person in your eyes and mind?" Hyelin was starting to get annoyed.

 

Was? Hani still is the only person on her mind. Solji spent every living part of her loving the younger woman, but she was being treated like a dirt. Sometimes Solji wondered how their relationship lasted for a whole three years. Nobody dared to tell Solji, but the reason was obvious, and it was because Solji loved Hani more than Hani ever loved her. Ever since graduating high school, Hani had been planning on moving to Seoul. Solji didn't give much thought about it because she thought the younger woman would never go through with her plans. But things changed when Hani told her then girlfriend that she'd be going on a day trip to Seoul to look for apartments. It was also then that Solji found out she met another girl.

 

"Unnie... I didn't want to let you know it this way. I'm moving to Seoul. I wanted you to go to Seoul tomorrow to walk around and spend some time there. I wanted you to be familiar with Seoul. I really want you to join me there." Hyelin placed another piece of paper on Solji's hand. It was a letter of approval for a rental application.

 

"Why would you do that, Lin?" Pain flashed past on Solji's face.

 

"There's nothing here anymore, unnie... Everyone left. Maybe we should start anew too?" Hyelin sounded hopeful. She really wants Solji to move to Seoul with her so that she won't be left alone here in Jeonju.

 

Before dating Hani, Solji was once a bright and bubbly person. Since dating Hani, Solji became even brighter. Those smiles that Hani would bring Solji, the older woman could be a walking candle any day of the week. But since breaking up with the younger woman, Solji's smiles start to cease. Even though the sisters lived together every day, it always seemed like Solji was somewhere else. Somewhere far away. Sometimes Hyelin would caught Solji standing in the balcony, looking down, as if she was going to jump down any minute. Those times scared Hyelin.

 

As Solji stayed more in her room, she became more distant with the world. Even with Hyelin. Sometimes the younger woman wondered if a person could really be this messed up. She stopped talking much as well, and when Hyelin asked how she was feeling, Solji couldn't utter a word. Solji didn't know how she felt, so she couldn't describe it. But Hyelin knows better. Solji was hopeless, and she was heartbroken. She used to dream of Hani during the first week of breaking up, she'd have nightmares, Solji stopped dreaming too. Not even nightmares. Solji once told Hyelin that when she sleeps, all she could see was herself falling into a bottomless pit and never getting any help. Hyelin then realised how broken she was. The short haired woman realised Solji needs to get away from this town and start new. 

 

"I'll think about it." Solji went into her room and started thinking, again. Solji thinks every time. About anything. Sometimes her mind turn blank because she didn't know what to think about.

 

 

"Unnie, daebak." Hyelin grabbed onto Solji as if she was afraid her older sister would slip away from her hands if she didn't hold her tight enough.

 

Solji had changed her hair to a khaki colour. For a whole four years, Solji had orange hair. The older woman dyed her hair orange simply to see if she looked good in it, and Hani said she loved her in orange hair so much she should keep it for as long as she could. And Solji kept dying her hair orange because Hani loved it. For four years. Does a change in hair colour meant that Solji had moved on? Hyelin wasn't sure. 

 

"Do I look good?" Solji asked but Hyelin scoffed. Her big sister looked good in any hair colour.

 

"Of course you do. I didn't know you went to dye your hair yesterday after our talk." Solji went out for a long time after talking with Hyelin. Because she knew the younger woman was right. It was time for a change in environment. It wasn't fair holding Hyelin back. If Hyelin wants to move to the big city, Solji should follow and make sure she isn't in danger because that's what big sisters do, right? Protecting their siblings.

 

Solji was ready to move on, but she lacked courage. And confidence. And many other things. But she decided to give Seoul a try and see what is it about this big city that draws everyone in. Even her closest friends and sister.

 

"Take care of yourself, unnie. I'll still be contactable via phone." Hyelin waved her phone in front of Solji, talking to her as if it's the first time her sister has gone on a day trip out of their town alone.

 

"I will. Don't worry, if I'm there with Hyojin, she'll take care of me." Solji smiled innocently.

 

Of course Hyojin unnie would. She's been taking care of you all these years.

 

When Solji reached Seoul, she got out of the train station and to the place on the piece of paper that Hyelin handed her. There was also a phone number at the bottom of the address, which she assumed was Hyojin's. 

 

Did she change her phone number?

 

Solji questioned, she had to question it because she realised she hasn't talked to Hyojin in a year. She wouldn't know if Hyojin changed her number. It was as if Hyojin disappeared from the face of the earth. Was it because she was angry that Solji stopped talking to everyone after breaking up with Hani? Was it because Hyojin wanted to only talked to Hyelin because she was her favorite dongsaeng? Solji wouldn't know.

 

After about a half hour, Solji found herself standing in front of the cafe. She didn't know why she stood there. Her legs refuse to move an inch. Solji looked into the cafe, hoping to see a familiar face but she didn't. At last, Solji pushed the door open and went into the cafe. Immediately she was greeted by smiles and a wave of "Hi, welcome" by the staff and baristas. Solji smiled, unsure how to approach them. Should she buy a cup of coffee? Or should she just look for the boss of this cafe? Is Hyojin even in? If she isn't, then that's what the phone number must be for. 

 

"Hi, I'm looking for Ahn Hyojin." Solji approached the staff behind the counter carefully. 

 

"Ahn Hyojin? There's no one named Hyojin here." She said and looked at the other staff behind her. They shook their heads as well. Solji looked at the piece of paper again and she was sure she came to the right place. 

 

"This is the cafe's address, right?" Solji showed the piece of paper to the staff.

 

"Ah! You're looking for our boss, LE?" The staff could recognise the phone number, of course, they could recognise their boss' phone number.

 

Did she just call Hyojin LE? Did she change her name?"

 

Solji was starting to panic, what if she can't even recognise Hyojin anymore? What if she changed her name and phone number and looks drastically so that no one from Jeonju could recognise her? What if she wanted to erase all her past and memories from Jeonju but Solji destroyed that for her? Maybe it was a mistake coming to Seoul, maybe Solji should've never came here. She knew she wouldn't like the big city.

 

The staff went to the back and several minutes later, a familiar face with blonde hair appeared. Solji was right. Hyojin changed her name and her looks.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter