friends come and go

like an octopus on your face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is there something wrong with me?”

 

Moon Byulyi looks up from her editing startled at the sudden question. Last time she managed to tear her eyes away from her screen, she was alone in her apartment.

 

“We don’t have time to unpack that right now,” Byul mutters still absorbed in her work.

 

“We should,” Yong sighs. She scoots closer to her, squinting at her screen. “What are you even working on? I’ve been sitting her for at least ten minutes and you never looked at me once.”

 

“I’m working on your favorite,” Byul says, eyes still on the screen, fingers busy fiddling with the keys. 

 

Yongsun perks up, scooting even closer to her to look at the screen. “Lionel?”

 

Byul’s brows furrows and Yong’s eyes were drawn to the small piercing she has over her eyebrow. “No, Jimin.” She turns the screen and covered her ears as fast as she could.

 

“What?” She squeals. “You had a shoot with her?”

 

“Well not me,” Byul sighs turning the screen back to her. “Our main photographer, but I’m supposed to edit it cos she doesn’t have time.”

 

Yong sits back. “Oh,” she says. She already hears the self-deprecation in Byul’s voice at her explanation. She rubs Byul’s back, trying to comfort her. “You’ll get your time soon.”

 

Byul sighs again, but doesn’t say anything. She saves her work and closes her laptop. She leans her head back against the back of the couch. “So, how was your date?”

 

Yong mimics her posture, eyes looking up at the ceiling. “Is there something wrong with me or am I just weird?”

 

“Do I just choose one or is this rhetorical?”

 

Yong rolls her eyes. “I’m serious, Byul-ah.” She pouts.

 

Byul stands up and stretches, trying to bid time. She goes to the kitchen to look through the pile of left overs they have on the counter. She can feel Yong’s expectant eyes on her   “There’s nothing wrong with being you, Yeba,” Byul says.

 

“Then why have all of my dates end up a bust?” Yong bemoans, flopping onto the couch, face first into the pillow. With her hair color and outfit, she looked like bleached wood.

 

Byul shrugs. ”Some guys are just douchecanoes.” She grabs a Tupperware and sniffs it. Gagging, she covered it up again and sets it apart from the other ones.

 

Yong lifts her head up from the pillow. “It wasn’t all guys.”

 

“Douchecanoing isn’t exclusive to gender,” Byul replies, still looking through the Tupperwares. “Why do I have so many leftovers? I don’t even cook that much.”

 

Yongsun says something into the pillow.

 

“Try speaking to me instead of the pillow,” Byul encourages.

 

“Then it’s me right?”

 

Byul briefly looks around her kitchen and grabs a rag just laying on t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter