[1/2]

The Yule Ball
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s up with you? You barely touched your food.” Namjoo says with a mouth full of ramyun noodles. “It's so unlike you.”

Bomi heaves a desperate sigh as she lets her head fall facedown. “I don’t know what to do, Joo” she says, voice muffled by the cafeteria table, “the dance is this weekend.” The head cheerleader perks up in frustration. “THIS WEEKEND and I haven’t got a date!”

“Then go get one, Bomi.” Namjoo fires back as if it’s the easiest, most obvious solution to her best friend’s dilemma. “Need I remind you that just the other day Haru’s throwing herself at you?” She grew up with Bomi ever since both of them were in diapers, and Namjoo has put up with every drama queen moment her best friend puts on but this is one of those times that Bomi is just a little too annoying.

Despite being in her rather short cheerleader uniform, Bomi slides down her seat with a grunt. “She’s not exactly my type” she says under her breath, almost with a hint of shame.

Namjoo, the next in line for the team’s leadership, gulps down the remaining soup of her ramyun and looks at Bomi right in the eye. “Do you really think you’re in a position to be picky?”

“Just because you have that Habbang chick” the captain rolls her eyes. “What’s her deal anyway? She’s always playing on her phone. You sure you want to babysit on the night of the Yule Ball?” she scoffs.

Irritated, Namjoo slams down the bottle of milk she just emptied “First of all, it’s Ha-young. Second of all, at least I have a date.”

Bomi clicks her tongue in defeat, stabbing the now soggy noodles in her ramyun cup. She's not usually particular with who she goes out with but for months now she'd been so out of herself that Namjoo's starting to take notice of the lack of girls she's taken out under the bleachers for a couple of minute's worth of makeout sessions.

“What’s your type anyway? I didn’t even know you have a type.” Namjoo asks as she eyes the stale noodles, completely changing her mood. “Ever since the start of term you stopped hooking around with every girl who’s desperate enough to come crawling to you.”

The captain can’t deny the accusation as her records are against her. She’s been the youngest student to hold the captain position in the cheerleading team. The university itself had been scouting her since high school. She’s been the star and champion in every competition held in her district – definitely something to brag about.

Now Yoon Bomi is too well-formed for her own good, she knows it and she owns it. The day she set foot in the university she already managed to turn a few heads – both men and women. But on the day of the university fair where she debuted as cheer captain, almost everyone who saw her soar, instantly and inevitably fell in love with her. Since then, she’s gained a couple of groupies and fanboys all over campus which, of course, meant she gets more attention and even causes rivalries among her admirers.

Soon enough, this has gotten into her head and she had been spending a lot of time going around wooing girls left and right. And for a year, making out with different girls every other day had been her life.

Until Park Chorong came into the picture.

 

Chorong transferred to the university on her third year and nobody knew who she is or where she came from. But it was pretty clear that she is as cold as she is uptight; a record of straight A's, a long list of leadership activities – a model student, no doubt. Having a very impressive background, she was easily chosen to lead the debate team while she kept her straight A’s. More interesting than that, it only took a week for the rest of the university to figure out her routine. Every day, she’d be at the front gate by 7am on the dot and heads straight to the cafeteria to have her oatmeal breakfast by 7:30 in the morning. And by 8 o’clock, she starts her classes diligently – religiously – before going back to the cafeteria at 12 o’clock sharp for her lunch which lasts for exactly 45 minutes. After class, she spends exactly two hours in the library to finish her homework. By the end of the day, she’d be back at the gates at exactly 6 o’clock in the evening. Most of the students thought her routine was eerily too seamless. Well, almost.

There was one time just before spring break, she was on her way to the library taking her usual route when someone stumbled onto her and knocked her books off her hands. Now Chorong was known for her cold demeanor coupled with a straight face, but everyone who witnessed the incident swore that she was staring daggers at the poor unfortunate soul. And who was this deer caugh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter