Chapter 6

RunningToTheWorld

 

The next night, Chaewon couldn’t sleep. The only thing that was filling her mind was the thought of Hyejoo being tortured for Dr Ahn’s sick pleasures playing in an endless loop. She could have stopped it there if she had been the slightest more attentive, swearing she had heard Dr. Ahn let out a cackle when he had discovered the pistol laying out in the open himself, safety off and ready to fire when she was being escorted out.

 

Hyejoo hasn’t returned in days, Chaewon stuck inside her cell in the time being. She was given a book that was uselessly laying on the floor a few feet away. Chaewon never learned how to fully read, she spent her entire life running from orphanages and surviving on the street, so what’s the point? Maybe if she had a loving, fulfilling family, things wouldn’t be like this. She made the foolish mistake of staying out late at night, not returning to the underbridge. She was drugged, dragged into a black car, and was taken off into the night to where she is now. 

 

Chaewon cried. She cried all night, wishing she had Hyejoo at her side, wishing she actually had a family, a dog, friends, wished she was actually someone, but now she was wiped off the surface of the earth, to die in this facility. Who knew her life could take such a turn?

 

--

 

“Heejin stay 5 feet away from the counter, please.” Haseul held up a bowl with her left hand in a defensive manner, reading over the recipe Jungeun had sent her via text message in her other hand, “This is a really easy cake to bake, I’m surprised.”

“Be quiet! Heejin was trying to put entire eggs into the cake batter!” Jungeun shouted from the living room couch, eyes closed, head throbbing, sandal nearby. 

 

“Where’s Jiwoo? You could have asked her for help.” 

 

“She’s with Sooyoung, and they’re at a photoshoot right now.” 

 

“Hm.. Heejin can you go buy some flour from the store? I had to throw it all away since it was coating literally every surface in the kitchen.” Haseul passive-aggressively asked, turning off her phone and looking at the bunny hybrid with an angry smile

 

“Okay!” Heejin grinned, not interpreting Haseul’s words in the right way, running up the stairs to force Hyunjin to go with her. 

 

Haseul shook her head, walking out into the living room to only see Jungeun and Jinsol cuddled up against each other. An ocean life documentary was playing on the TV, Jungeun already asleep in Jinsol’s lap while the taller was entranced by the fish swimming across the screen. 

 

“You own an aquarium chain, don’t you see fish and water enough?” Haseul asked, sitting on the reclining chair next to the sofa the duo was residing on.

 

“Nope.” Jinsol blankly replied, her eyes glued to the large screen in front of her.

 

“I-”

 

“Hyunjin hurry up! I don’t wanna keep Haseul waiting!” Heejin suddenly exclaimed, running down the stairs with the hybrid in tow. 

 

“I didn’t even finish my bread! She can wait!” Hyunjin whined, making no move to stop Heejin and just running with the girl.

 

“Move faster!” Heejin yelled, bursting through the front door, forgetting about the steps in front of the door and toppling down the staircase. 

 

“Wow.” Hyunjin blinked, standing in the doorway, thinking of how much an airhead Heejin was, “Why did I have to fall in love with her?”

 

“Come on, Hyunjin! Let’s go!” Heejin brightly hopped up from the ground, continuing to run in the direction of the nearby convenience store, the fall seemingly not effecting the girl in the slightest way possible. 

 

“I hope Heejin looks both ways when she crosses the highway.” Yeojin yawned, casually walking down the stairs and ruffling Haseul’s hair as she walked past, “Welcome back.” 

 

“There’s a highway to cross?” Haseul suddenly yelled, her mom instincts taking the wheel.

 

“Haha, yeah. The way to the store I showed Heejin requires her to play real-life crossy road! It’s fun.” Yeojin giggled at the thought, “I should meet them there!”

“No. You’re grounded, go to your room.” Haseul angrily said without hesitation, calling Hyunjin on her phone, pacing around the living room while Jinsol and Jungeun remained unbothered on the couch, “I can’t believe you, Im Yeojin!” 

 

“Peak boomer behavior.” Yeojin muttered in defeat, walking to her room as slowly as she had come down.

 

“Hyunjin! Do not use the way Yeojin showed Heejin to get to the convenience store, or I will personally burn every carbohydrate in this household!” Haseul yelled into the phone, leaving the quiet and peaceful living room to yell as loud as she pleased. 

 

Yerim, upstairs, had heard the entire thing. She was huddled in a corner, hugging her wolf plush tight. Haseul never yelled, or got angry. It was a war zone down there, and she didn’t dare get involved. 

 

“Wanna bet if Heejin gets run over?” Yeojin laughed, walking into the room and flopping onto her bed.

 

“Yeojin! That isn’t something to laugh about!” Yerim yelled, throwing a nearby nerf gun at the smaller’s head.

 

“What th- ow!” Yeojin screamed, crawling under her bed in defense, “There’s nerf darts for a reason! Why did you throw the entire thing at me?”

 

“Maybe because you ate the darts yourself that one night?” 

 

“Ooh~ Yeah! They were pretty good. Tasted like a rough twinkie.” Yeojin chuckled, folding her hands together and putting them behind her head with a relaxed smile on her face.

 

Yerim disgustedly stared at the girl in silence, Jungeun’s sandal looking like a very nice weapon at the moment. 

 

--

 

“Hey, Princess.” Hyejoo suddenly said into the silent cell, causing Chaewon to fall off her bed in surprise.

 

“Hye? Why are you here?” Chaewon stood in the middle of the room in shock, “This is just a dream, just a dream..”

 

“It’s not a dream, there’s a guard next to me!” Hyejoo brightly smiled, her face outlined in the small window at the top of the cell door. 

 

“What are you doing here, then?” Chaewon smiled for the first time in ages, glad to finally see the girl she’s missed these past few weeks.

 

“I’m here to hang out, unless you want me to leave.” 

 

“No! Please, come in.”

 

“You heard her.” Hyejoo turned around to the guard, who stepped forward and unlocked the cell. Hyejoo threw it open and enthusiastically marched into the small cell, “Hi.”

 

Without words, Chaewon threw herself onto the girl, ignoring the guard as he had locked the cell and left the two in their own world. They stood there for a while, holding each other in their arms, Chaewon unable to believe the situation. She had so many questions, so many words to say.

 

“Chae, I can’t breathe.” Hyejoo grunted, wiggling around in the smaller’s tight hold. 

 

“Sorry.” Chaewon loosened her grip on the girl the slightest amount, dragging her onto the bed and laying down, “How did they allow you to be here?” 

 

“Dr. Ha felt bad, monitored me a bit, figured you’d cheer me up.” 

 

“How long do we have?” 

 

“Until the end of the day.” Hyejoo grinned, pulling the shorter closer to her, “It’s y, I know.”

“Please don’t use y in that way ever again.” Chaewon groaned, burying her face into Hyejoo’s neck, secretly hoping they could cuddle more like this. 

 

“Of course, anything for you.” Hyejoo giggled, enjoying how easy it was to make Chaewon flustered and shy, “Hey.. I was thinking we should.. escape? Find a way out?”

 

Hyejoo waited for five entire minutes, not getting a response at all. She looked down and saw that Chaewon had fallen asleep, the days of sleep deprivation finally catching up with her. Hyejoo flushed a hue of red, she never imagined Chaewon was the clingy type. 

 

Instead of waking up the girl clinging to her, Hyejoo closed her own eyes with a content smile on her face. She hadn’t slept ever since the day the electrodes got her. But, cuddling with the person she values most is her cup of tea and she’s thankful she can finally experience it. 

 

The two slept that day with dreams they could be like that forever. But, for now, they’re in their own utopia that’s destined to come crashing down eventually.

 

--

 

Hyunjin hung up on Haseul, running full speed towards the love of her life. If she didn’t make it to the highway in time, Heejin would get ran over and Hyunjin really doesn’t want Haseul to take away all of her bread. 

 

The hybrid morphed into a cat and quickly followed the sound of cars rumbling through the forest, stumbling into the clearing, just in time to watch Heejin hop into oncoming traffic. The nimble girl cartwheeled in front of a car, quickly laying flat on the asphalt in the next lane as a car drove over her. Hyunjin watched on, fascinated and terrified at the same time. The girl was such an airhead, but displayed extraordinary movement speed and reaction time. Hyunjin thought it looked fun, so she did the smart thing and ran into oncoming traffic as well. The cat weaved through cars, mimicking Heejin’s movements and lying down to allow cars to pass over her. She was having immense fun, and was disappointed when she reached the end. 

 

Hyunjin ran over to Heejin, pouncing on her foot and scratching her leg. 

 

“Ow! Hyunjin what was that for?” Heejin frowned, picking up the cat and walking into the forest, allowing the hybrid to transform back into her human form. 

 

“Why would you run into traffic?!” Hyunjin yelled as soon as she finished morphing, lightly whacking Heejin upside the head. 

 

“Because Yeojin showed me this way! She told me to always run into the traffic, and that what doesn’t kill you will eventually!” 

 

“Haven’t you learned to not believe what Yeojin says?”

“I think Yeojin is very trustworthy! She knows a lot of fun games!” Heejin excitedly grinned, “One time we made drinks by mixing random stuff all over the mansion and I got to ride in the ambulance!” 

 

“Oh my god..” Hyunjin muttered, facepalming. She grabbed Heejin’s hand and dragged her along, walking to the convenience store, “Wanna play a game where we beat Yeojin with sandals when we get back home?”

“Of course! That sounds so fun.”

 

--

 

Hyejoo quietly slipped off the bed, doing her best not to awaken the blonde. She tip-toed to the head of the bed, putting her hands under the wire frame, and lifted it up high above her head. Chaewon fell forward, letting out a piercing scream once she was airborne, landing on the ground with a thump. 

 

“Hyejoo!” Chaewon whined, dramatically spreading out on the floor.

 

“Good afternoon.” Hyejoo grinned, carefully setting down the bed and sitting on it, leaning forward to stare down at the girl on the floor.

 

“Hate to ruin your little moment, but Hyejoo has to go. Doctor’s orders.” The same guard who had brang Hyejoo in the first place suddenly knocked on the cell door, unlocking it and pushing it open. 

 

“Until next time, my dear.” Hyejoo dramatically said, reaching out her hand towards the girl as she walked out of the room, the guard shutting and locking the cell after the hybrid. 

 

Chaewon was left alone, blankly standing in the middle of the small room as she stared at the door. She felt a pang in her heart, euphoria blossoming in her chest right after when she realized she’d be able to see Hyejoo again soon. She laid down on her bed, the same spot Hyejoo was just residing, and stared up at the ceiling with a smile. 

 

It was so bizarre, smiling in a place like that, almost impressive. Love can do amazing things, like they always say.