Home Is Where The Heart Is

Home Is Where The Heart Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Huh Mina raised her sunglasses to have a better look at her surroundings. The sky is clear, it's inviting in a way. High buildings, huge signages, and lots of tourists walking down the street even in broad daylight. She sighs. Why would her husband want to be here? She glances at Ham Daegil, busy checking his phone. They've been married for 5 years. He matured but she can still see the loser boy that her brother beat up after she pretends that he's harassing her.

 

"I never understand why in all places, you want to be here?" Mina said as they sat on the back seat of the service car heading to their hotel.

 

"Relax. It's our 5th anniversary. We should be enjoying this." Daegil said to his wife. He put his phone back to his pocket and holds on to her hand. He rubs his thumb on her knuckles. Mina sighs.

 

"We can go to Russia, Canada or Cuba. Why Las Vegas?" she asks. Daegil raises her hand and kisses the back of her palm. "Just give me this. I will play nice and fair."

 

Mina scoffs. "Nice and fair is not in the vocabulary of a hustler like you," she mutters.

 

"I'm not a hustler anymore. I'm just an ordinary businessman that owns Korean restaurants in Spain," he said innocently while being cute to her.

 

Mina huffs and squeezes his hand. "We'll just stay for three days. And we will not spend a whole day gambling here. Do you understand?" Mina told him. Daegil just nodded and smiles at her.

 

It's been 5 and a half years since they left Seoul and moved to Spain. Thanks to what Gwang Chul left for them, they managed to have a life in Spain. They bought a simple house near the beach and open up a Korean restaurant where Daegil cooks and Mina serves. They hired helpers when their business starts getting more popular. In their 6th month in Spain, Mina asks Daegil to marry him. He agreed. Mina even asks him why he didn't ask her about marriage. He said he already ask her before, which made her laugh. And she admits, Daegil did the best proposal ever for her. In two years, they managed to expand their business to five branches all over Spain. They also hired Korean people back in South Korea to work for them. They had a great life.

 

They didn't have a child. Mina still remembers their child that they lost when Jang Dong Shik crashed their car in a chase. Daegil never asks her about having a child. He just hopes that she will be ready someday.

 

They arrived in their hotel and checked in immediately. In their room, Daegil was staring outside the window while overlooking the skyline of Las Vegas. Sin City. Mina is right. They are here to celebrate their anniversary and he will make sure to make his wife happy. He can choose any country he wants. Even going back to South Korea. But he's not ready yet. As much as he misses his family, he's not ready to face them.

 

Mina wraps her arms on his waist from his back and rests her chin on his shoulder. She inhales the scent of her husband. She feels so lucky to have him in her life.

 

"What are you thinking?" she asks him.

 

"My family back in Namwon. I haven't visited them ever since I left when I accidentally stab Ghost," he said.

 

"Do you want to visit them? It's almost 6 years since we left South Korea. We can visit them if you want." Mina sighs. "We can also visit Oppa on this grave," she whispers.

 

"Let's think about it later. But now, let's go down and check the casino." Daegil said. Mina let go of him. Daegil faces her. Daegil thought of what he had been through with her and he feels so damn lucky that they are still together. He places his hands on her waist while Mina rests her hands on his chest.

 

"Wanna bet?" she asks in a seductive tone.

 

He raised his eyebrow on her. "On what?"

 

"Who will win most money today?" she grins coyly as her hands slide up to his neck. She tipped toe and kisses his lips briefly.

 

Daegil grins. "You're challenging a hustler?"

 

"You married a hustler, idiot," Mina said, kissing him again but much longer this time. Daegil kisses her back before hovering his lips on hers. "What will the winner get?"

 

Mina bites his lips lightly and tugs it. Then she smiles as she rubs his nape. "The winner will be in charge tonight. The loser will obey whatever the winner says." Mina said sultrily. Daegil smiles. "Call."

 

Mina and Daegil roam around the casino to look where they should play. The sound of chips clicking, slot machines and laughs of the players echo. Mina is holding her husband's hand while Daegil finds the perfect game that they can both play. They found a poker table with a dealer and two men sitting. They approach them.

 

"Can we play?" Daegil asks. The dealer directs them to sit. Daegil looks at the two other players. One looks American. Mid-50's. Rich, based on his tailored suit, expensive watch and huge ring. While the other man, he can't see his face because of his hat and shades, but he looks Asian. He looks like in his late 40's.

 

"Honeymoon?" The dealer asks them. Daegil smiles. "Kinda. It's our 5th anniversary" he said.

 

"Congratulations." the dealer said. "Shall we start?"

 

The players just nodded.

 

Three hours later. People are watching them. The American guy already quit the game since he lost $200,000 to them. It's a game between Daegil, Mina and the mysterious guy. Mina can see that Daegil is determined to take the guy's money but the guy plays well. Mina scoots closer to her husband. The dealer deals with their last cards each. The three remaining players look at their cards and get ready to show it.

 

Mina leans towards her husband. "Daegil, let's stop. We will lose a half-million-dollar if we continue. It's not worth it." she said.

 

"I must win that $500,000 he took from us and the American guy," he mutters.

 

Mina sighs and threw her card on the table. "I'm out," she said. Mina signals the dealer that she quits.

 

The mysterious man chuckles. "I didn't know that you are this determine," he said. Daegil and Mina were surprised. He's Korean.

 

"You're Korean," Daegil said. The man stares at his card with a blank expression on his face. "Are you folding, kid? $500,000 is at stake here."

 

Daegil put down his card. Full House and he doesn't care anymore. The man put down his card. Royal Flush. He won. The man won a total of $1,000,000. The man tipped the dealer with the $1000 chip while he tossed a $10,000 chip on Daegil's direction. Daegil glares at him.

 

"For you and your wife. Buy her a nice meal. Congratulations on your anniversary." The man smirks at him before he left with his winnings. Mina touches Daegil's arm to comfort him. Suddenly, Daegil follows the man. Mina chases him.

 

The man is walking heading to the bar when Daegil stops him by standing in his way. The man stares at him.

 

"What?" he asks.

 

"Let's play again," Daegil said. The man tips his hat down and smirks. "I don't want to play poker anymore."

 

"Not poker" Daegil sighs. "Let's play GoStop," he said. Mina arrived at her husband's side and the man laughs. The kind of laugh that insulting for Daegil.

 

"Kid, you don't know who are you talking to." The man said. The man walks and bumps the younger man's shoulder but Daegil looks back at him and snatches his hat. The man faces them, removed his sunglasses and glares at him. Daegil was frozen upon seeing his face. He hasn't seen him in person but he saw his photos on their old family pictures, specifically with his Mom and Grandma.

 

"Uncle Goni?" Daegil said. Mina looks at his husband, then the man in front of him.

 

Goni scowls at him. "You know me?" he asks curiously.

 

"Uncle, it's me. Daegil. Ham Daegil. I'm your Noona's son." Daegil said. "Mother and Grandma is looking for you all this time,"

 

Goni stares at this man in front of him. As far as he remembers, his sister does have a son. He remembers Go Gwang Ryeol saying that he meets his nephew and he's very clever; a future hustle. But Goni is hesitant since he never meets his nephew since then.

 

"How can I be sure that you are my nephew?" Goni asks skeptically.

 

Daegil took out his wallet from his pocket. He opens it and takes out a picture. He gave it to Goni. Goni looks at the picture. It was his sister, uncle, mother and the man in front of him but much younger. It was a high school graduation picture. Goni looks up at Daegil.

 

"Daegil-ah," Goni mutters. Daegil approaches him and hugs him. Goni was surprised by his nephew's action but it felt great. This is the first time seeing a family member in almost 3 decades.

 

Goni invites them for a meal. They went to a posh restaurant and ask for privacy. The waiter directs them on the corner booth. Daegil, Mina and Goni are more relax now. Goni ordered their meal. As they wait, Goni signed a cheque worth $500,000. He gave it to Daegil.

 

"What is this, Uncle?" he asks.

 

"The money I won over you. It's yours."

 

Daegil put down the cheque in front of Goni. "You won that. It's fine." Goni smiles and places the cheque in front of Mina. "Keep it. Save it for my future grandchildren's future," he said. Mina smiles and nodded. She took the check and put it in her purse.

 

Daegil remembers that he hasn't introduced them. "Uncle, this is my wife, Huh Mina," he said.

 

"Nice to meet you, Uncle Goni," Mina said while bowing to him. Goni smiles at them.

 

"You choose well. She's pretty and a hustler at the same time." Goni said. Daegil smiles. "How did you know she's a hustler?"

 

"I can tell. But she's different. She's nothing like the lady hustlers that I meet before. There is still purity in her." Goni points out. Mina smiles shyly at Goni.

 

"Uncle, how long have you been living here in Las Vegas?" Daegil asks. Goni shook his head. "I don't live here. I'm just here for a vacation. I'm currently residing in Hongkong. I've been there with my wife."

 

"You're married? Where is she?"

 

"Somewhere. Doing shopping, I guess." Goni waves his hand while grins. "So, how did you two meet?"

 

Daegil and Mina look at each other. "I meet her while playing GoStop with her brother back in Namwon. We started there. She doesn't like me at first but I proposed to her before I left the town after I accidentally stab someone while saving Grandpa."

 

Goni was curious. "What did Uncle do?" he asks and sips his wine.

 

"Lost in Hwatu. Ghost, the one who owns the gambling house, wants to take his picture as an assurance. I won't let him do that to Grandpa." Daegil stated.

 

"Did this Ghost died?"

 

"No. He lived. I encounter him again after saving Mina from him. They frame up her brother and used her as a pawn. My mentor helped us." Daegil said then he perks up. "You might know my mentor."

 

"Who?"

 

"Go Gwang Ryeol," Daegil said. Goni smiles happily. "That little . He lived. Who would have thought that he will be your mentor?" Goni laughs and shook his head. "Where's that bastard now?"

 

Daegil's smile faded. Mina put her hand on his back and patted it. Mina answers for him. "He died after saving us from trouble. Some people want us so he sacrifices himself by pushing the man who's chasing after us of a building. They both die there." Mina paused. "Mr. Go is a nice man. He took care of me, especially Daegil."

 

Goni felt bad of Gwang Ryeol's death but he's thankful that he saved his nephew's life. He looks at Daegil. He can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter