Ryeowook and Shindong

Let It be Known That We Love You

 

They’re acknowledged as the most awkward combination among Super Junior members.

Ryeowook likes to claim himself as friendly, easy-to-approach kind of guy. His smartphone contact list is full of people ranging from behind the scene crews, rookies, up to senior artists and stakeholders. Not to mention his non-celebrity contacts. He’s fun to have around as long as you can tolerate his sharp tongue and sassy attitude, but he’s generally nice.

Yet, niceness is not always needed. What we thought is nice to do might be misunderstood and even backfired. There are always options to clear the misunderstanding, but after all the awkward attempts, Ryeowook decided that he’ll never go out of his way again to please Shindong. The younger man chose to interact with the well known video director wisely and to not give surprises unnecessarily, like that one time when he bought an item from airplane catalog which caught Shindong’s interest, but found out that such gesture was unpleasantly accepted.

Despite that, Ryeowook respects Shindong even though he never said it out loud in public. Shindong is that kind of brother who is not overly close to him physically--like Donghae, but Ryeowook knows he can depends on him. Shindong is clever, different from Kyuhyun’s textbook-smart type. He admires Shindong’s meticulous works and ideas, from dance choreographies to MV directions. Ryeowook always thinks it must be wonderful to always have nice ideas in his head.

Lately, both of them thought their relationship has gotten better. They even hosted a mini culinary tour together in Japan that time before Siwon showed up from his agenda, ate sandwiches (though Ryeowook barely ate the bread), and know what each other likes and dislikes on food. Remember how Ryeowook used to cook for the whole dorm? Food brought them together, yet Shindong thinks their biggest contrast also lies in food: their diet program. While he allows himself to enjoy meals moderately, Ryeowook has been ditching carbohydrate for years. He didn’t understand the younger’s motivation behind that strict diet, and silently worries over Ryeowook’s obsession (if you could call it that way) on supplements. Shindong knows he isn’t that close to Ryeowook to reprimand him, but he wants Ryeowook to be healthy without being too dependent on supplements.

And Shindong knows, one way to stay healthy is to laugh.

Shindong is not the loud type--by Super Junior standard. He chose to be their source of loudness, either by his comical dances, actions, or adlibs. In contrary, Ryeowook is loud, if not the loudest when laughing his heart off. He is able to make the Incheon man laughs gleefully, and for Shindong, that’s the closest moment he could ever be with Ryeowook. Shindong is Ryeowook’s happy pill--he makes the younger healthy and happy, and that's his way to shows his love to Ryeowook. They didn't have to force their kindness to be liked by each other, and that's enough. Their relationship might be awkward, but as long as they're together in Super Junior, they can work their way to be agreeable.