Three

No Time To Lose

The walk back to the hotel was mostly filled with silence. Jennie was admittedly feeling tired and there was a weird churning sensation in her stomach that was caused either by the fact that she’s slowly harboring a crush over the guy in front of her and she hated herself for it, or by the fact that she drank chocolate milk and alcohol in one night. She decided to go with the latter.

                          

 

Seungyoun looked back at her from time to time, probably checking if she got snatched up by some killer on the loose on the first day of the year. Every time he did, Jennie felt a warm rush to her cheeks. If she could slap the stupid look off her face right then and there, she would.

 

 

“Yah, our Seungyounie’s here!”

 

 

Jennie saw a guy in a band tee waving at them as they entered the hotel parking lot. His face was flushed, obviously tipsy, as he leaned over a black Sedan.

 

 

“What’s up with you?” Seungyoun asked.

 

 

“We’re making a last stop at Pat’s….Pat’s apartment. Are you coming?” slurring his words, he motioned to a blue car waiting a few feet away, its windows down showing a couple of people inside. Jennie wondered how on earth they managed to fit themselves in there.

 

 

“Yeah, no. I’m good. Thanks for letting me borrow your car,” Seungyoun replied, snatching the keys from his friend’s hand.

 

 

“You’re not even gonna ask who Pat is?” the friend exclaimed, jumping up and down like a kid. “Pat! Hey!”

 

 

“What?! Yah, are you getting in or what?” a blonde girl from the driver’s seat called back. Her eyes then met Jennie’s. “Wait, is that—?”

 

 

“Is that—who? Who are you—?” the guy echoed, finally noticing Jennie’s small figure behind Seungyoun.

 

 

Jennie swiftly looked down and hid her face. The last thing she wanted was to get recognized at an hour that late. She was lucky the guy at the convenience store earlier didn’t.

 

 

“No one. Now go!” Seungyoun gently pushed his friend towards the waiting party.

 

 

“Oh…I see! I see!” the latter snickered and started to walk away in a funny zigzag motion. He opened the

passenger seat and before getting in, yelled out, “Don’t forget to use protection!”

 

 

“Yah, this —”

 

 

The whole car broke into cheers as they sped off and Jennie couldn’t contain her laughter, hearing the exchange. She looked at Seungyoun, whose ears turned pink, looking embarrassed. “Sorry, don’t mind him,” he muttered as he unlocked the car next to them and started getting in. Jennie followed suit.

 

 

“Drunk people are so ing funny,” she replied, still laughing. She fastened on her seatbelt and noticed Seungyoun watching her. “What?”

 

 

“Nothing,” he replied, hiding a small smile. “Let’s get you home, Miss Jennie Kim,” he said and started the car.

 

-

 

Jennie’s apartment was farther than she expected. A couple of months ago, she had started spending more time there with her parents when Rosie and Lisa’s families got their own places in the city, making all of them closer to home.

 

 

“Can I turn on the radio? I don’t wanna fall asleep,” she asked, reaching for the stereo.

                                                                      

 

“Yeah, go ahead.”

 

 

Jennie stared out the window and sighed, fatigue catching up to her. This was why she rarely did night outs. She’d much prefer staying in one place and going home after midnight as she gets too tired or sleepy too easily. Save for a few exceptions. Her stomach ce again and she grimaced.

 

 

A couple of songs later, a familiar tune played. Jennie can recognize that soft guitar melody anywhere. As Rosie’s voice sung the opening lines, she felt herself sit up. Seungyoun noticed the movement and smiled.

 

 

“Ah, I like this song, actually,” he said, after clearing his throat.

 

 

“Really?” she watched his face.

 

 

“Yeah. The happy melody with the sad lyrics makes a nice contrast. I like it.”

 

 

Jennie returned the compliment with a shy smile. “Me, too.”

 

 

“Stay” was a song she wrote many years back. She remembered singing it at their first concert and bursting into tears. If she thought long and hard enough, she could probably cry right there in the car, listening to it again.

 

 

The song played on. “Are you still writing?” Seungyoun asked.

 

 

Jennie was taken aback. She was not used to getting asked about songwriting. It’s common knowledge that her company doesn’t allow them to talk about it. She muttered, “Yes. Sometimes.”

 

 

“That’s good.”

 

 

“Not as passionately as you though.”

 

 

“Oh, please,” Seungyoun chuckled. “I just have a lot of free time nowadays. I have to make the most of it or else I’m gonna go insane.”

 

 

Free time, Jennie thought, I have a lot of those. Apart from her own and her group’s sporadic activities, the second half of year felt predictably empty for her. She didn’t even want to think about the new year ahead.

 

 

“I think you, of all people, can relate,” Seungyoun said.

 

 

Jennie nodded. With her company getting into hot waters this year and the future of the remaining Produce groups uncertain, Jennie found another thing she has in common with the guy sitting beside her. Both are passionate about what they do, but in their industry, passion just doesn’t cut it when you’re not the one pulling the strings.

 

 

She looked at him and after a while said, “It’ll all work out in the end. As cliché as that might sound.”

 

 

He glanced at her, seeming to have read her mind. “Yeah, it will.”

 

 

Maybe it was exhaustion, or the fact that she surprisingly felt understood by a boy she just met, but Jennie felt her eyes start to water. Changing the topic, she blurted, “Um, does your friend have some gum in here or something?”

 

 

Seungyoun looked at the compartment in front of her. “I think so, yeah. Here let me…” he said, reaching across her seat to open the glove box. “I think he’s left it here somewhere—”

 

 

“LOOK OUT!” Jennie screamed as two people crossing the street came into view. Seungyoun was startled but managed to hit the brakes, halting the car to a stop. A few inches too far and they could have hit the couple, who looked just as shaken as they are. It all happened so quick and Jennie felt that she couldn’t breathe.

 

 

“Hang on,” Seungyoun got out of the car and quickly ran to the two strangers. He was apologizing profusely, and asking if they were okay. Thankfully, the two didn’t look angry as the old man patted Seungyoun on his back and crossed the street with who Jennie assumed was his wife.

 

 

Jennie replayed the last minute in her head. Her heart was pounding and she started to sweat. With trembling fingers, she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car.

 

 

As soon as she did, she felt like she was about to pass out. The cold breeze sent chills down her spine and she squatted on the ground, breathing heavily.

 

 

Seungyoun saw this and ran to her. “Hey, hey, everything’s fine,” he softly said. He sat in front of her, gently patting her head. “No one got hurt. It’s okay. I’m here.”

 

 

Jennie simply nodded, as tears fell from her eyes. Seungyoun slowly wiped them off with the sleeve of his hoodie.

 

 

They stayed there on the sidewalk like that for a while. Her breathing and heartbeat eventually slowed. She felt a little embarrassed that Seungyoun saw her this way but she let that thought go. Everything’s fine, she repeated to herself. No one got hurt. Finally, she stood and walked slowly back to the car. Seungyoun trailing behind.

 

 

“Thank you,” Jennie softly said after a few minutes as they made a left turn, leaving the main highway. “I mean it.”

 

 

“Anytime,” Seungyoun flashed her a smile, to which Jennie returned.

 

 

“Ah, what a way to start the year, right?” she chuckled, checking herself in the mirror and wiping the mascara smudge under her eyes. She then looked outside to see where they were. “We’re close. Just turn right. You can drop me off at the building entrance there.”

 

 

“Got it,” Seungyoun followed.

 

 

-

 

 

As they pulled up to the entrance, Seungyoun yawned. There was an awkward silence as both sat in the car, waiting for the other to speak first.

 

 

“So…” Jennie started.

 

 

“So…um. Here we are.”

 

 

Jennie didn’t want to go, despite herself. Just a couple more minutes, she thought as she sat there thinking of what to do.

 

 

A minute passed. And then…

 

 

"Do you want to come up and rest?"

 

 

"Is it okay if I rest for a little bit—"

 

 

They both looked at each other, stunned, as they spoke at the same time.

 

 

"—That...would be good. Thanks," Seungyoun finished slowly and looked down, embarrassed. “Sorry.”

 

 

“No, it’s okay. It’s safer if you get some shut-eye before driving again,” Jennie replied, her cheeks turning pink.

 

 

The two left the car in the basement parking area and entered an elevator. Jennie pressed her floor number and stood a few inches next to Seungyoun whose eyes looked droopy.

 

 

“Wait!”

 

 

A hand shot in between the elevator doors just as they were about to close and three guys entered. They looked like they were in their early twenties and one guy was absolutely wasted that his friend had to hold him up. They reeked of alcohol.

 

 

Jennie watched the third guy press their floor number and glance her way. There was a moment of confusion in his face as his eyes narrowed, probably racking his brain as to who she is.

 

 

“Yah,” he turned and said in a whisper to his wasted friend. Or whatever the drunk equivalent was of a whisper. “Didn’t you say a lot of celebrities live in this building?”

 

 

“When did I say that?” the other guy slurred. The guy holding him looked at Jennie and then at Seungyoun with a puzzled face.

 

 

Jennie looked down. , please no, she thought just as a beanie was pulled over her face, covering her entire head. “What—”

 

 

“Yah, take care of your friend,” Jennie heard Seungyoun say. She then felt him stand in front of her, a little bit too close for comfort, as he slowly pulled the beanie up to the bridge of her nose, letting her breathe. Jennie thanked the heavens that half her face was covered, as her cheeks felt warmer.

 

 

They stayed like that until the three guys got off to their floor. Jennie took off the beanie and saw Seungyoun, who got the hood of his jacket up, looking at her. She cleared and both took a small step back.

 

 

-

 

 

An awkward silence followed as the two slowly entered her apartment.

 

 

“Just make yourself at home,” she motioned to the living room as she went and got them both two glasses of water.

 

 

“Thanks,” Seungyoun sat on the couch, looking around.

 

 

The whole place was full of framed photos, some dating back to before Jennie even learned how to walk. Her mom loved taking photographs and passed that trait to her. Some pictures were of her two dogs that she took herself. One was taken a few months ago at Jisoo’s brother’s wedding. It showed the four Blackpink members together with their families.

 

 

“Thanks again,” Seungyoun said looking at her intently, before stifling a yawn.

 

 

Jennie got up, took a pillow and a blanket from her room and gave it to him. “Here you go.” She felt her stomach turn once again and she frowned. “I’m gonna go to the bathroom. You rest.”

 

 

“Thanks,” Seungyoun nodded and lay down. “Good night, Jennie,” he added in a sleepy voice, just as Jennie was about to open the bathroom door. She glanced at him with a smile, as his eyes closed.

 

 

-

 

 

Jennie woke up with a blanket over her. She had sat on the couch across Seungyoun and watched some mindless TV at a low volume, thinking she could probably just wait till he wakes up and get her own sleep later in the day.

 

 

Seungyoun was nowhere to be found. Slowly, she got up and squinted her eyes at the ray of sunlight seeping through the window curtains. The clock on the wall said 8:27 A.M.

 

 

Jennie felt a little disappointed as she went to the kitchen and drank a glass of water. She was hoping they could properly say goodbye after spending the night together, but it seemed he just left without a trace. She didn’t even get his number, and Jennie knew she’d be too embarrassed to ask the people around her circle for it.

 

 

“It was nice to meet you,” she thought aloud. And she meant it, knowing that they would probably never meet again, and even if they did, it’d be under a completely different circumstance. She felt a little like Cinderella, coming home from a party after the clock struck midnight. The magic wore off, and now she’s back to face reality.

 

 

Get a grip, stupid girl, she mentally scolded herself.

 

 

Then, she heard their doorbell ring. She got up absentmindedly and went to get whoever it was. Probably her parents, or the dog-sitter returning her two babies, she thought. She didn’t expect the guy standing when she opened the door.

 

 

It was him. Seungyoun. With the same beanie, the same grin, and the same sparkling eyes. Jennie stared at him, not knowing how to react. She was dumbfounded, and she let him in without saying a word.

 

 

He held up a small paper bag. “I saw there was a pharmacy nearby and got you medicine for your stomach ache,” he muttered, sheepishly. “You probably need to eat something before taking it, though. That’s why I got some pancakes as well as—”

 

 

Jennie didn’t think twice and she kissed him on the lips, much to the surprise of Seungyoun. It was a quick peck and Jennie’s face instantly turned red after she did it. He stared at her for a minute, speechless.

 

 

Oh god, she thought, dread starting to seep in. What the hell have you done?! She looked down and took a small step back. She wasn’t sure why she kissed him, but seeing him again, standing at her door looking like he did made her heart swell.

 

 

Seungyoun walked towards her and she took several steps back. When she hit the kitchen counter, she gulped. He placed the bag he was holding on the countertop behind her and slowly, very gently, held her face.

 

 

“You just had to beat me to it,” he said smiling before dipping his head and kissing her back.

 

 

It was warm, soft, and most of all, comforting. Jennie had never felt like that in a long, long time, she thought, as she wrapped her arms around him, deepening the kiss.

 

 

When they broke apart, they just laughed, despite themselves. The two stayed like that for a while, Seungyoun running his hand through her hair and just watching her intently. Jennie looked at him, deep in thought.

 

 

She felt exhilarated and nervous. She didn’t know what this meant for them but she knew it was something. As she gazed into the eyes of the boy she’s come to know and trust overnight, she realized she didn’t care. That moment, right then and there, was all that mattered.

 

 

Seungyoun smiled and kissed her forehead before coming back to her lips.

 

 

“Happy New Year, Jen.”