Pancakes

Seven Years Without You

“Yerin-eonnie, wake up or else you are going to be late for school.” a girl with a young delicate voice spoke out. 

“Okay Umji, just give me five more minutes though.” I said, where you can hint the feeling of annoyance base on my tone.

“Okay unnie, but I will go first be sure to bring the lunch I packed you.” 

“Hmm…” was all that I responded after my little sister’s instruction and unconsciously returned back to sleeping.

After quite some time, I was hit by the morning sun that made me scratch my eyes and immediately checked the time on my phone and to my surprise it was already nine in the morning which meant that I was already late for my eight o’clock class. I started to panic and immediately finished my morning routine. I took a bath, I brushed my teeth, and I ate my breakfast all in under five minutes. And then went off to go to school.

“Oh, what a start to begin my day” I said to myself as I wait for a bus to arrive at my stop.

My name is Jung Yerin or Yerin for short. I am a second-year college who has a typical life of a teenager. I wake up, I go to school, I go home, and repeat. Nothing worth note taking of my life as it basically repeats itself every single day. Although I have a lovely sister named Umji, who brings color to my dull world. Umji is a year younger but pretty much takes care of everything in the dorm. 

“Hey, what did I just missed?” I said to my seatmate while trying to catch my breathe.

“You just missed a little, don’t worry.” my seatmate replied.

“Thank, goodne—“ before I could even finish on what I was trying to say. Yuju, my seatmate, interrupted me.

“A little bit of algebra, geometry, calculus so yeah a little bit of everything which means a lot and when I say a lot it means a lot, lot, lot.”

“Looks like you are going to do me a favor and teach me all the stuffs that I missed then.” I said with a smirk on my face.

“And why, should I?” she replied with one eye brow raised. 

“Because… I will ask Umji to cook your favourite food.” I said while elbowing her in a tease-like manner still with a smirk on my face.

If there is one thing that I am sure Yuju can’t resist in this world. It would probably be food. And for her, eating what Umji cooks is like eating at a five star hotel but her food is served for free. Because Umji’s cooking can be compared to an ambrosia as I may say or other known as the food of the Greek gods. That’s how good her cooking is. So that is why, when given a chance to have a free bite, she always grabs the opportunity and feels like the happiest person in the world. Specially, when she is being cooked by my sister.

“Ugh, you have to thank Umji that she cooks some extraordinary delicious food.” Yuju defeatedly said.

After I thanked Yuju, we were on our way to the dorm. When we noticed that there are seemingly a lot of firetrucks as well as ambulances speeding their way right past by us. 

“Hmmm, it's heading to the direction of the park. I hope that it’s not that big of an accident.” Yuju said worryingly while looking back at the speeding vehicles.

“I certainly do hope so… after all that is where Bi and I spent most of our days together.” I said while making sure that the latter part is only uttered in my mind.

Bi, or commonly known as Hwang Eunbi, is my ex-girlfriend. She is a unique kind of girl due to her peculiar aura. She has the stare of a cold-blooded person and rarely smiles on public. Due to this, she was given the nickname the ice queen.

“Hey! hey!” Yuju shouted as I somehow managed to walked passed by my dorm.

“My bad, I was just thinking of something.” I said trying to hide the fact that I am somehow missing my ex-girlfriend.

After opening the door, we were welcomed by a girl who is seating in front of the door, staring blankly at me surely not noticing the girl behind me.

“What does this supposed to mean? Are you saying that you don’t like my cooking anymore?!?” Umji said furiously while raising the lunch that she packed.

“Shoot!, Ugh, why do I always forget my things” I whispered to myself.

“Uhmmm… Sorry for the intrusion” Yuju said trying to alleviate the tension between the two of us.

“Oh, hi Yuju-eonnie…” Umji said with a smile on her face before looking back fiercely to me.

“So… Uhm… Umji, I can explain but first can you do me a favor and cook some snacks for us? Yuju might be staying over for the night to teach me the things I missed earlier.” I said while wrapping myself around the arms of my younger sister.

“Earlier...?”

After I finished giving her the backstory of one might call the worst beginning of a day ever. Chuckles from the little girl can be heard.

“I’ll forgive you unnie, but you owe me two okay.” 

“What!, why is it two?”

“It’s because you did a horrible thing to me by wasting all my efforts and spoiling the food that I cooked for you, and second you should not ask me if I can cook food for Yuju-eonnie. Ofcourse I’ll cook for her she’s your friend and also my friend.”

“Ahhh, yes… I’m just a friend.” Yuju muttered to herself.

And so we began studying after eating Umji’s delicious pajeon or other known as green onion pancakes. Basically, it’s a Korean pancake where you mix flour, water, soybean paste, and sugar together. Put in the pan with the pre-heated cooking oil and place the green onion parallel to each other. Keep it in a nice shape while patting it and pressing it lightly. After noticing that the bottom is golden brown, flip it and repeat the same thing on the other side. And trust me, Umji does it so elegantly that whoever watches it might fall to my little sister’s charm.

Amidst the study session that Yuju and I are having, Umji opened the television to watch seven o’clock news to be updated on the happenings around us. When suddenly, it reported that the park near our school was suddenly caught in the massive fire. It was stated that there was a problem in the electric wirings that caused it. And yes, the thing that I don't want to happen that day really happened. This might really be the worst day ever, huh?

Yuju excused herself to use the bathroom after giving up on me that I'll be able to learn something. After all, three-fourths of my attention is used to think of something that I should not think of, which is Hwang Eunbi. And, the rest is used to respond to Yuju that I don't get something after her teaching it for me like a couple of times already.

“You’ve been distracted for quite a while now.” Umji said while sitting next to me.

“It’s just that I’ve been thinking of her again. After, on what happened at the park.”

“Come on now unnie it’s been years. Want me to hook you up with someone.” 

“You know that they’ll not have a chance against your pretty sister, right?”

“Yeah, I know but you have to move on with that girl. You need to enjoy your life as well. Stop being stuck on the past unnie.

“If only I can do it, Umji. If only I can. And besides, if ever I ended up being alone in my whole life, I’ll marry you instead.”

“Do you want me to feed you, hold hands with you, watch movies with you, have a house with you, have a family with you?”

I remained silent as I envisioned myself not with Umji but with my ex-girlfriend. I imagined the way we whisper our thoughts to each other as we enjoyed walking under the moon’s light, the way we enjoyed the sound of the rustling trees as they swayed against the night’s breeze, they way you caress my hands with your little fingers as we hold hands, and the way you let out that smile that makes your cheeks puffy, that makes me want to squeeze it and pinch, but surely I’ll not do it because you’ll end up being mad at me for the whole evening.

But then, my phone started ringing that snapped me back to existence and I was frightened and excited at the same time by who it was. 

“Hwang Eunbi” calling…