The Water Fountain

The Water Fountain

The pale tint of orange in sunset has not faded when she arrived at that old, abandoned park. The shuffling of her steps struck the floor, making sounds with irregular rhythm.

 

There is nobody around. She was alone.  The sound of water flowing through  an old water fountain that keeps spurting water into a round pool make loneliness seeping into her empty shell. That one particular object triggered back those tragic and bitter memories inside her head .

 

" She told me that she loved me by the water fountain ..."

 

She hissed out loud.  Totally pissed off  by those stupid damned memories. She wished she could erase those things out of her brain. But sadly, she couldn’t.

 

"I like you, Nayoungie.."

 

She still remember that one sentence. Still fresh in her memory  eventhough it was from a long time ago. At that time, a petite young girl named Zhou Jieqiong  confessed to her. Witnessed by the splash of water fountain and light hue that drifted in the twilight sky, Jieqiong shyly admitted her own feelings towards her.

 

"I really like you, Nayoungie.  I have romantic feelings for you. I don't like Dongho  like they said. Will you..be my girlfriend?"

 

Those beautiful orbs  looked at her intently. Without blinking at all. Jieqiong tried to convince her to accept her confession.

 

 

She was blushing, her fluffy chipmunk cheeks tainted by tomato-colored hue. She didn't know that Jieqiong was interested in her. To be honest, she also liked that girl since a long time ago.

 

Unfortunately, she was not ready to have a relationship with Jieqiong. They were just teenagers. Still  naive and foolish. For her, they were too young to commited a relationship. There are so many important things that she should prioritize over a romantic escapade.

 

Therefore she rejected Jieqiong and said that she was not ready to date.

 

She still remember how sad Jieqiong was. Her lips pursed downwards. Those beautiful orbs lost its light. It seems that Jieqiong could not take her rejection. However, Jieqiong said she would wait for her. No matter long it takes.

 

“But now she's got a cup with something else in it..”

 

After that rejection Jieqiong began to change. That girl who used to be pure and innocent now became a rebel. She began to attend night parties. She was no longer reluctant to try drinking alcoholic drinks.  One time, she did not aware that the drink spiked with some drugs.

 

” It's getting kind of blurry at a quarter past ten
And he was in a hurry to be touching her skin
She's feeling kind of dirty when she's dancing with him
Forgetting what she told me by the water fountain “

 

After a couple of drinks, she already drunk because of her low alcohol tolerance. Slowly but surely her consciousness began to fade away just like her vision. She did not know that she had now been dragged to the dance floor by a tall well-built young man who was none other than Dongho.

 

A sly smirk appeared on Dongho's face. He seemed impatient to touch the Jieqiong  who had lost her self-control.

 

Jieqiong had forgotten what she had said in the water fountain.

 

“ Now he's grabbing her hips, and pulling her in
Kissing her lips, and whispering in her ears
And she knows that she shouldn't listen
And that she should be with me by the water fountain ”

 

Dongho began to pull Jieqiong closer. His greedy mouth invaded Jieqongs roughly. Without hesitation he dragged Jieqiong into one of those  empty cubicles. There he whispered,  with his hands roaming around that girl flesh.

 

That night, Jieqiong lost her chastity.

 

“ She couldn't be at home in the night time because
It was made her feel alone, but at that time she was too young
I was too young ”

 

Don't ask how devastated Nayoung was. Her heart broke  into milion pieces when the next day Ren, her close friend told her what he witnessed last night. He had no idea that Nayoung liked Jieqiong. He also did not know that Jieqiong had been forced. All he knew was that Jieqiong gave herself to  Dongho that night.

 

Nayoung could feel how her heart cracked, her ego bruished, and her hopes shattered  when she saw some hickey on Jieqiong’s neck. Those red marks made by Dongho’s dirty mouth. The sole evidence that her Jieqiong has been tainted, no longer innocent.

 

It painful. She could feel the cold-prickly pain deep inside her stomach, as if something hit her hard in the guts. She couldn’t stand the fact that Jieqiong has broken her promise.

 

 Nayoung swallowed hard. She could taste the bitterness inside her own mouth. She could not see Jieqiong  without feeling extreme rage  and hatred. She snorted in disgust as that Chinese girl  approached her.

 

"Nayoung?"

 

Jieqiong gaped at Nayoung's reaction. She tried to touch Nayoung's hand but that woman brushed it off slowly.

 

“Jieqiong-ssi, you like me, right?”

 

Jieqiong nodded slowly. She totally confused by Nayoung’s words.

 

“I hope you will do this one for me..”

 

Her voice began to shake. She tried so hard to control her over-flowing emotions. She didn’t want to hurt Jieqiong, but she was too broken to stay calm.

 

“Hmm, I know I have no right to say this, because I rejected you. You are free to sleep with whoever you want. But  please consider my feelings as well, I’m hurt. I liked you too, you know. So, until I can move on, I hope I don’t see you anywhere near me.”

 

Her heart ached, it hurt so much that the words came out of her lips. She couldn't understand why Jieqiong would just give up herself to be touched by a disgusting jerk like Dongho.

 

“Nayoung, let me explain this to you. I-“

 

“No, I don’t want to hear anything, Jieqiong-ssi. Please, just disappear and never comeback.”

 

She looked away, not wanting to see tears streaming down Jieqiong's face.

 

She left Jieqiong alone.

 

For her, Jieqiong wasn't the girl she liked anymore. Not an innocent girl who confessed to her by ther water fountain. Not that one young beautiful girl who promised to wait for her that time.

 

Jieqiong had been touched by Dongho.

 

Her pride was high enough to just be sacrificed for the sake of damn feelings and pity for Jieqiong. She looked away and hurriedly left Jieqiong.

 

For her, Jieqiong already dead.

 

“I should've built a home with a fountain for us
The moment that she was told me that she was in love
Too young
I was too young
Too young, too young, too young”

 

A hint of regret settled on her heart. If only she had accepted Jieqiong’s confession, of course all that would not have happened. Maybe they are still together as a lovey-dovey couple.

 

But all that remains just empty hope. Because they were too young, too young to understand the meaning of a relationship. Too naive, too naive to involved in such a messed up relationship.

 

Now I'm grabbing her hips, and pulling her in
Kissing her lips, and whispering in her ears
And I know that it's only a wish
And that we're not standing by the water fountain

 

A flashback of that incident opened up her wound that had been frozen for a long time. The wound that turned out to be still fresh and bleeding.

 

Since that incident she had never seen Jieqiong again. That woman decided to move abroad. She never wonder what was her reason to move,  where she went, she never knew. Moreover, she was not interested to know about that. Jieqiong was nothing more than a piece of  her failed love story that should be buried in the deepest part of her heart.

 

Not until one day when  Eunwoo, a close friend of Jieqiong came to see her. She staggered when Eunwoo slapped her hard in the face. She was stunned, not caring about the pain in her cheek.

 

Eunwoo sobbing, telling her what really happened that night, that Jieqiong was drugged and . That beagle also told her  how Jieqiong was traumatized and depressed after what happened that night. How Jieqiong felt disgusted of herself. How Jieqiong struggled to stay alive amid the pressure of disgust that made her want to end her own life.

 

She was shaken after hearing Eunwoo's words. She felt so guilty. How she had mistakenly said harsh words to Jieqiong.

 

Every day, when sunset settled, she always comeback to the place where the water fountain is. Every time the sun begin to drowning, she always wait there. Waiting for Jieqiong to reappear. Waiting for her  little girl to come again and smile at her, saying that she loved her.

 

But Jieqiong never returned. She  never came again.

 

Her visits to the water fountain just ended in vain.

 

“I should've built a home with a fountain for us
The moment that she was told me that she was in love
Too young
I was too young”

 

Flashbacks of that  tragedy sliced through her thick skull. Along with the disappearance of the faint sound of the barrel, her mind began to return to reality.

 

She realized that they were indeed not meant to be together. Years of waiting, her little girl nevertheless came and appeared. Maybe indeed, it's time for her to move on and started her life  in a new place.

 

She forced a smile on her  face.

 

"Goodbye Jieqiong ..."

 

She will take her leave  and probably will not return there again. She planned to follow her parents to move to  UK. She will reset her story all over again. A story  without Jieqiong  in it.

 

Just a few steps away, suddenly ...

 

"Nayoung! "

She was shock. A voice shouting her name out of nowhere. That voice seems familiar. She turned around.

 

She gasped when she found Jieqiong running toward her. She had no time to talk when that Chinese Goddess held her tight and cried in her chest.

 

"Nayoung, I am back for you.  Please do-don’t leave! I-..."

 

Jieqiong could not speak because she immediately silenced by a pair of soft warm lips.

 

END