Becoming a Butler

A King's Requiem

Standing before me was the King of Gullivia, Joseph the Gallant. His distinctive silver hair fell suavely on his forehead as he stood confidently in front of his throne. He was dressed casually for a King and his black eyes scanned us slowly like a predator analysing his prey.

“Welcome to Gullivia, rebels. I hope Gullivia has been treating you okay?” He asked with a smile still lingering on his lips.

I gulped, swallowing my nervousness as I straightened my back.

“Your Majesty, I don’t mean to be rude but why did You call us here?” I asked loudly, trying to feign confidence.

“I wanted to talk to all of you privately,” he replied before gesturing to his sides.

Only when he mentioned it did I notice the assembly was empty. Not even a single guard was present too. We were alone in a hall the size of a football field with the King of Gullivia. But why would He risk it though? We might have been unarmed but it was still possible to kill Him. His certainty that we would not do anything was unnerving and it made me a little more defensive.

“About what?” I asked with more force.

“I’m sure you have all realised that the trial was just a hoax to get all of you to come here to see me,” he said as he walked down the steps from his throne slowly and approached us.

“Huh?” Seungkwan exclaimed before getting shushed by Dino.

“Maybe not all of you,” he chuckled, “I wanted to offer you a deal.”

“A deal?” Coups asked authoritatively while crossing his arms, “What deal?”

“Patience,” the King replied, “you all know you’ve committed treason—a crime that could’ve sentenced you to lifetime imprisonment or even death. So, here’s what I’m saying, if you don’t want to die, how do you fancy working under the Viceroy?”

Stupefied, we froze. The Viceroy? All of a sudden?

“Don’t worry, this is not a scam,” He assured us as He reached the bottom of the stairs and walked towards us, “I can guarantee you a job at the Mansion of Mornacal and all you have to do is work there for the rest of your days? Not a bad deal, ey.”

“Why would we want to work there?” I asked myself.

“Because you don’t want to die?” the King replied matter-of-factly, hearing me mutter under my breath, “The Viceroy will tell you more about it later. All you need to do first is agree.”

Before I could say anything, Coups spoke up, “Fine, deal.”

Panicked, I fumbled in the air and ran up to Coups before whispering in his ear, “You want to make us work under her? Hyung, you can’t be serious.”

Looking distressed, he glanced back at me before addressing the King, “May I have some time to talk to them for a while, Your Majesty?”

The King gave us a nod of approval before turning His back on us as if to give us some privacy.

“Look, everyone,” Coups swivelled around and said in hushed tones, “I understand how you all might feel humiliated and lost by my decision but as the leader, my priority is keeping all of you alive. So, I don’t care about your complaints because all I care about is your safety.”

With no intent on hearing us out, he turned back around and puffed out his chest before saying, “Sorry about that, Your Majesty, we agree.”

Even though I knew he was only doing this with good intentions, it left a really bad taste in my mouth. All we had been fighting for this last year had crumbled to rubble with his one decision. We were now selling our souls away to the devil just to live and it didn’t sit right with me.

Noticing my displeasure as He turned around, the King asked us, “Are all of you sure?”

“Yes,” Jeonghan answered from behind before muttering for me to hear, “You can’t continue fighting when you’re dead, Mingyu.”

I gulped, realising he was right before nodding my head reluctantly for the King to see.

Satisfied, the King called out to the guards outside, “Open the door and lead them out!”

Promptly, we were roughly grabbed by our arms and led outside. Just as we stepped outside the throne room, the rush of warm air smacked us in the face and we melted softly in its embrace. I didn’t know how long we were in that room but we stayed there long enough for our bodies to freeze up and go rigid. How cold was that room?

After the exchange with the King, the guards probably trusted us a little more because this time, we were being led without our blindfolds. So, despite being in the palace for nearly half a day, now, was our first look into the royal palace of Gullivia.

After we surrendered to them, we were forced to undergo mandatory assimilation sessions to learn more about Gullivia which involved being taught about how it was found, its very short history as well as being shown videos of the Motherland. The royal palace was also shown in the video but although we watched in 4K definition, the video couldn’t do any justice to the downright beauty of this place.

Sunlight was streaming through the clear glass windows that stretched from the ground to the ceiling, lighting the corridor in a warm orange glow. Looking outside, I realised the sun was about to set, painting the sky a deep orange. Some of the colour must have dripped on the ground because the rose garden spanning the ground just below us had been drenched in orange as well. After having a closer look, I noticed the garden was extremely well-maintained. Not a single leaf could be spotted littered on pavements and the pedestals and decorations were scrubbed till spotless.

Fascinated by the rose garden, I continued staring without realising our entire group came into a halt. I crashed into the member in front of me who was, unfortunately, Wonwoo and the row of people in front of me almost fell like dominoes (this felt familiar). I effortlessly looked past my members’ heads to see a lone figure halting our progress.

The Viceroy? Why was I not surprised?

She talked to the guards for a little bit and barked some orders in English before the guards declared the detestable “Glory to Gullvia!” and took their leave. She then twisted around to face us and dictated, “Follow me,” in Korean.

What was with everybody and their negligence on their safety? She might have led the conquest for South Korea singlehandedly but we were still 13 guys. We could easily overwhelm one girl. Rationally, we wouldn’t just throw the new lives presented to us just like that but we could’ve if we wanted to.

As we continued to navigate the palace, I became amazed at the mere design of the entire place. The wooden carvings that lined the edges of the ceiling were so intricately detailed that if I were to examine every carving in the palace, I would die before finishing even half. That reminded me. The palace was also huge! Looking at how we’ve walked for more than ten minutes, I was in awe by the fact that we didn’t ever saw an end of a corridor yet. They even managed to fit half a football field-sized rose garden within the palace. Considering the floors were all made of marble and was carpeted with this rich yet soft cashmere-like fabric, I honestly wondered how rich Gullivia was.

We ultimately stopped in front of a pair of mahogany doors which were guarded by another two burly men. Again, she muttered something to them before shooing them away.

“Uh, I don’t know what His Majesty told you but I really didn’t need any manpower. But He did say to at least hire a butler to make life easier, so I’ll just pick randomly,” she declared and scanned us once over.

She paused at me for a second longer and an unsettling feeling came over me.

She smirked before pointing directly at me and said, “You.”

I slowly turned around to look behind me, hoping she could have possibly pointed at someone behind me but alas, there was no one. The members looked at me with pity and tried to console me with pats on my back. Of course, the one most passionate about our cause now has to spend the rest of his days with the Viceroy of Mornacal. It turned out His Majesty had some foresight because this was a very cruel punishment.

She gestured at a nearby maid to come and the members were then led away, leaving me alone with the Viceroy. Some pouted and waved goodbye whilst I tried to calm my beating heart. My passion and desire to fight for my cause has brought me this far—hell, I was this close to killing her so I couldn’t believe I was still feeling so intimidated by her.

She approached me in long strides causing me to swallow in nervousness unknowingly. When she was just an arm’s length away from me, she stopped, snapping her feet together. She scrutinised me up and down before pivoting on her heel and marching off.

Flabbergasted, I could only stand there, rigid as I watch her fading silhouette.

“Uhm, Mingyu-sshi?”

I turned around, following the direction of the voice to find a maid. She was a head shorter than me with long black hair that fell past her waist and a sharp gaze that seemed to pierce relentless through me.

“Allow me to introduce myself, I’m Mary, Milady’s personal maid. I’ll be the one training you.” She stated smoothly before curtsying.

I found myself bowing slightly in response before realising that I could understand what she was saying.

“You’re speaking Korean?” I asked delightfully.

“My mother was Korean. I learnt from her,” She replied, rising from her previous curtsy.

Despite my initial surprise, her face remained emotionless and frozen, showing no reaction to my excitement. My smile fell as a result, making me feel uncomfortable.

“We’ll be having training sessions every day for the next week before going back to Korea. As you can guess, we have much to do. So, if you’ll please follow me Mingyu-sshi—”

“Ah,” I interrupted, “Just call me Mingyu. I find people calling me so formally quite uncomfortable so just address me informally since you’re probably older than me—”

“Actually,” she interrupted this time, “I’m only 20 so you’re older than me.”

That gave me a shock. This stern-looking face was of a 20-year-old? What hardships did she endure to produce a face so unfeeling? I shuddered.

“So may I continue addressing you as Mingyu-sshi?” She asked, tilting her head innocently.

Although Mingyu-sshi was awkward as heck, her calling me Oppa was more unsettling than appropriate.

“It’s okay, just call me… Mingyu,” I replied hesitantly.

“If I’m not wrong, there is a certain tradition in Korea to address elders with a more respectful term. I don’t think it would be responsible of me as a colleague who will be working with you a lot in the future to just ignore your culture,” she stated, “Should I just call you—”

“No, it’s fine!” I immediately replied, “Just Mingyu is fine. We’re in Gullivia anyways” before laughing awkwardly.

She nodded slowly as if she needed some time to process the new information before saying, “Very well. Then, Mingyu, let us promptly begin our first session.”

 

*

 

“This is your room. Please remember to wake up at 6 am sharp tomorrow. Refer to your schedule if you have any questions. Well then, see you tomorrow,” Mary stated before closing the door shut.

Groaning, I paid no attention to the interior of the bedroom and threw myself straight to the bed.

Immediately after ushering me into a room down the same corridor, she began lecturing me on the importance of posture and etiquette. I had never been to the military but I think after a week of training like this, the military would be a breeze. The last 5 hours were spent practising over and over again on how to stand straight and walk with elegance before learning the proper placement of cutlery on a dining table. After doing all those drills, my body was sore all over and I could barely stand up again after lying down on the bed. That was not the end of it though. I would have to repeat all these drills for three hours every day, not including additional lessons on tea, cleaning and ballroom dancing. Even training to become an idol wasn’t this intense.

I tried to roll my body over such that I was lying on my sides before wincing in pain. Mary was a spartan. Her piercing gaze scared me to shivers, preventing me from saying a word of complaint. She would nag at me relentlessly once I made a mistake till I hallucinate—thinking she was still nagging but it was just her voice echoing in my head to do it again. If I didn’t become the perfect butler by the end of the week, all these spartan trainings would have gone to waste.

Hardening my resolve, I closed my eyes shut, hoping to get a good night’s sleep before waking up and living through the nightmare all over again.

 

*

 

“I’ve been teaching you for nearly 3 hours now, how can you still be stuck at Foxtrot—the simplest of all the dances?” Mary asked with exasperation.

I gave an awkward smile before she ordered, “Again!”

I placed my right hand on her waist and left hand in hers as I tried to catch the beat of the music.

Now. In my excitement, I accidentally stepped too forward, stepping on Mary’s feet for the umpteenth time. Mary let out a wince before retracting her hands and stepping back to turn off the music.

“I apologise Mingyu, I promised to be patient but this is ridiculous. You just needed to place the heel of your right foot just ahead of your left, was that so hard to do? Also, you started early again. Weren’t you some dancer before? I don’t even think it’s possible to teach you all five dances by this week,” She lashed out.

No matter how infuriating I was when I broke countless plates while practising how to wait or when I burnt numerous precious tea leaves in an effort to make tea, Mary had never shown a shred of emotion. But now…

“I thought this would be the easiest to teach you since you had dancing experience but my god, not only do you have two left hands but two left feet as well!” She continued her rant, “I’ve held it in but I honestly have no idea what Milady was thinking when she appointed you as her butler, I—”

Just before she could finish her sentence, the huge doors to our little practise room swung open and in came the Viceroy dressed in a casual dress, asking, “What’s with all the commotion? I could hear you from down the corridor.”

Mary immediately curtsied, and saluted, “Glory to Gullivia,” not before pulling at my waistcoat to force me to curtsy as well.

I bowed reluctantly before the Viceroy said, “Ease.”

While slowly rising from our bows, Mary replied the Viceroy’s previous question, “I apologise for the noise, Milady, I was trying to teach him how to dance but it has been proving to be quite difficult.”

“Ho,” she let out as if surprised, “My capable maid Mary has trouble trying to teach our new butler how to dance. How interesting.”

Right after she said that, she sauntered over the chairs we moved to the side to make space for the lesson. She grabbed one and dragged it in front us before plopping herself onto it.

“Well, I’d like to watch. Don’t mind me and continue the lesson,” she said nonchalantly, crossing her legs and resting her hands on her knees comfortably.

After Mary went to play the music, we quickly got into our beginning position.

“Mingyu,” Mary whispered, “please remember your steps this time and don’t make it too obvious that you made a mistake because I'm going to try my best too.”

“But it’s still a lesson isn’t it?” I whispered back, “Isn’t it better to make mistakes now than during the real thing?”

“But this is Milady we’re talking about. Dancing well in front of hundreds of others is just as important as dancing in front of her,” she scolded me sternly.

I bit back my tongue once I saw her gaze. She was nervous and her hand that was lying in mine were clammy too. Straightening my back, I quickly got into the classic dance posture and focused. Now.

Luckily, this time, I caught the beat. I stepped forward twice on the first two beats before sidestepping to my right and twirling before repeating the step sequence. It turned out adrenaline did help in stressful situations. I managed to complete the step sequence to the music in full for the first time and was repeating them without mistake. Barely holding in the smile that was about to break out, we continued dancing in front of her before the music ended gradually ended.

By the time we finished, I was sweating buckets. Droplets of sweat were rolling down my face and dripping from my hair, soaking my already drenched back. Even if I was just repeating simple steps, ballroom dancing was hard. I glanced at Mary who gave me a barely noticeable triumphant grin which led me beaming in response.

“Well, it didn’t really seem like it was too difficult for him. Mary, I think you were being too harsh,” the Viceroy spoke up, shooting a smile at Mary.

This caused the maid to redden and shyly bowed her head in thanks.

“It looks like you didn’t need me after all so I’ll take my leave now,” she said nonchalantly before getting up and heading for the door.

Mary rushed to catch up, opening the door for her before she even had the chance to touch the doorknob and muttered, “Glory to Gullivia.”

After getting over her initial surprise at Mary’s enthusiasm, she smiled and replied, “Glory to Gullivia.”

Once she left, Mary jumped in glee and sprinted my way. I almost sidestepped to dodge instinctively but she halted right in front of me.

“Mingyu, thank you so much. That was the first time I’ve ever seen Milady smile at me—oh my gosh, what an honour,” she gushed as she twirled away from me with her hands interlaced, “I don’t think I can ever forget this. How can I thank you Mingyu, I—”

“Mary,” I interrupted her, “this wasn’t my doing. She smiled because of you.”

Hearing that, she beamed and squealed in joy.

After a few more twirls, she suddenly turned to me and announced, “I’m too excited. You know what I’m going to teach you all 5 of the ballroom dances by this week and you’re going to master them. I’ll have to train you more vigorously so keep up!”

I gave a wince in response which she somehow saw as a smile of acknowledgement.

“Great! We start tomorrow.”

 

*

 

“We are leaving in 5 minutes, Mingyu so I suggest you quickly grab your non-existent luggage and get your out into the corridor,” Mary shouted from across the corridor.

Sighing, I tried to ignore the sores all over my body and continued making my bed. When Mary said the training was going to be vigorous, she was not kidding. Long story short, the extent she went to whip me into the butler I needed to be after burning with determination from the Viceroy’s one compliment was evident from the bruises littering my body. I couldn’t count how many times I accidentally bumped into furniture while serving or scalded my hands while brewing tea.

“Mingyu! Hurry up!” Mary shouted again, this time louder and more urgent.

I yelled a quick “Coming!” before looking at my small room one more time.

During the one week I stayed here, I didn’t manage to get a proper look at it. Every night when I return from my lessons, my eyes would already be half-closed, leaving me no time to take in my room. Now, that I looked at it, it was pretty cosy. The bed was comfy and small though it was big enough to fit someone of my height. The standing lamp next to it was bright enough to light only the head of the bed and the closet was large enough to hold my butler uniforms. My room might not have been the fanciest but I was grateful enough that it had served its duties well. It made me feel as comfortable as I would have been in Korea even though I was in Gullivia.

With one last scan, I muttered a quick goodbye before opening the door and leaving the room.

“Finally, we can leave,” Mary said once she saw me.

She grabbed her suitcase that had been sitting on the carpeted floor next to her feet and hoisted it up using her arms. I tried to offer help but she insisted to carry it herself, leaving me walking empty-handed next to her.

As we made our way out of the palace, after taking a glance around, I realised there were many parts of the palace that I had yet to explore. Although the humongous size of the place had a part to play, my rigorous butler training held me back from exploring the place. If I were to come back to Gullivia, which I hope would not happen, I wouldn’t spending some time touring this place by myself.

After a few more turns and stairs, we finally reached the main doors. Upon noticing our arrival, the guards at the door opened the gate, revealing a limousine parked right outside.

“The Royal limo!” Mary gushed under her breath.

This time, I couldn’t resist my awe as well. The black limo was waxed and polished so well it was sparkling under the morning sun. At each end of the car was a miniature flag of Gullivia flowing in the wind. The Gullivian Royal crest could be seen plastered proudly on the boot on the car. Ignoring the blatant Gullivian symbols, this was a great car.

“Are we riding this?” I asked innocently.

“Are you mad?” Mary berated, “That’s for Milady. We’re probably riding that van over there,” before pointing at a white van located just behind the limo.

I almost didn’t notice the van because of the limo. The van was well-maintained as well but a limo is still a limo. A van could never compare. They take hierarchy way too seriously here.

Wordlessly, we walked into the sun, down the stairs, into the van that would help take me home. After she loaded her suitcase into the trunk and sat down in front of me. A few more nameless maids slide into the van before the door slid shut and silence fell upon the van. I guess we were all just waiting patiently for the Viceroy to arrive.

Just as I was about to fall asleep, I heard a loud “Glory to Gullivia!” and was fully awake. The engine finally started whirring and we took off.

 

*

 

After driving for only about 15 minutes, the van halted and we were ordered to get out. We promptly heeded orders and filed out the van. I experienced a lot of firsts in Gullivia but this took the cake. A private jet had been parked in all its beautiful glory right in front of us. Before I could continue marvelling at its streamline beauty, we were rushed into the plane. We hurriedly climbed the steps and were ordered to prepare for the Viceroy. Man, we were doing everything for her.

“Mingyu, you only have one job to do this flight,” Mary cooed once we entered the plane as if I was a child, “Just serve her a glass of wine, simple?”

I fervently nodded my head, confident I could carry out this simple task.

“Good.”

I followed Mary to the back of the plane, passing by the rest of the maids who were swiftly tidying her desk and seat. Once she showed me where the wine glasses were placed, I diligently took one out, wanting to make Mary proud. While I was polishing a glass, I noticed the rest of the maids walking briskly towards us. Realising the Viceroy was finally here, I prepared to carry out my duties.

With my polished wine glass in one hand, I grabbed the wine bottle Mary passed me beforehand in the other. I then walked with my back straightened out into the centre of the plane, looking for the Viceroy. Once I spotted her, I marched forward with confidence oozing with my every step as I stopped just beside her.

“Glory to Gullivia,” I spat out in English as I curtsied.

No matter how many times I practised that line, it still left a bitter taste in my mouth.

“At ease,” she ordered without looking up from her book.

I slowly rose and placed the wine glass on the table in front of her before announcing to her, “Your glass,” in my accent-laden English.

Only after I whipped out the wine bottle did I realise that in my haste, I forgot to grab a bottle opener. Flustered, I tried to silently open it with hands and later, my mouth which only left me with unwanted to scratches. Noticing my dilemma, Mary rushed over quietly to pass me the bottle opener which filled me with immense gratitude. With newfound courage, I popped open the bottle with all my strength, momentarily forgetting that I had trained my arm muscles for more than 2 years weightlifting. Though I was shocked, obviously the cork flew off. But what actually left me in utter dismay was the fact the cork unceremoniously landed the Viceroy’s head with a smack.


uhm i took a really long time coming up with a title for this chapter without spoiling anything but this was the best I could come up with lol