The Unexpected Effect

The Unexpected Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Championship Final day. The day that Jeongyeon had been nervously anticipating all week for. The match to decide who would win the championship for this season. Jeongyeon’s team, Incheon Red Angels, were favourites to win the championship, but were finding themselves two - nil down on aggregate from the game played last week against Gumi Sportstoto WFC. But this game was different. Incheon was the home team.

 

Jeongyeon looked at the digital clock by the side of her bed. 06:43 the clock face read. Jeongyeon shouldn't have been awake for another half and hour, but she needed to get ready and get to the team hotel to catch the bus to the stadium. She turned over and looked at Mina who was still asleep beside her. ‘ I wish you were able to come to the game today. ’ Jeongyeon thought as she softly kissed Mina’s forehead and clambered out of bed and into the bathroom to get herself ready for the big day.

 

After getting herself washed and ready, Jeongyeon emerged from the bathroom, only to be greeted by a now awake Mina. “Hey babe, you ready for the big game today?” Mina asked.

 

“I have been training all week for this so I’m as ready as I’m going to be.” Jeongyeon replied as she went and sat on the bed next to Mina.

 

“Well that’s good then, i just know that you are going to be amazing today.” Mina smiled her gummy smile. She knew it was Jeongyeon’s weakness. Only this time it didn’t seem to be.

 

“I would only be amazing if you were there, if you aren’t there then it’s only like another day of training. You are my good luck charm Mina.” Jeongyeon leant in towards Mina, with the latter expecting their lips to meet, only to hear a soft whisper coming from by her ear. “Are you sure there is no way you can get today off?”

 

“Jeong, I’ve tried my hardest for you to get today off. I really want to be there to cheer you on, but work is just too busy today that I can’t get the time off.” Mina looked down to the floor, clearly expressing her disappointment. “But I will be listening to the game on the radio, I’ll be supporting you from work, don’t you worry about that.”

 

“But it’s not the sa-” Jeongyeon started before being interrupted by knocking coming from the front door. Jeongyeon glanced at the clock on her bedside once again. 07:53 it read. ‘ Why is she so early, I said pick me up at 8. ’ Jeongyeon made a mental not to scold her teammate later. She raised from the bed and towered over Mina, before bending down and kissing her girlfriend goodbye and exiting the bedroom. Jeongyeon picked up the duffle bag, that had everything she needed to bring to the game in it, from off the living room floor and mentally prepared herself one final time at home

 

As she opened the front door she heard the soft “good luck” coming from the bedroom, bringing a smile to her face. Jeongyeon knew that despite Mina not being there in person today, she would be there with her in her heart. Jeongyeon closed the front door and made her way to her teammates that would take them to the team hotel before heading off to Seoul.

 

Meanwhile, back in the house, it was Mina’s turn to get ready, except it wasn’t for work. After an hour, she looked at herself in the mirror on the wardrobe, checking that the jersey she was donning looked in perfect condition rather than being creased. ‘ Perfect. ’ Mina sighed in relief. She was ready to make her way to Seoul. Mina was very thankful to her boss for being as understanding as they are.

 

----------------------------------- A month earlier.

 

“Excuse me, Sir.” Mina said as she knocked on her bosses door.

 

“Ah, Good morning Mina, I saw that the Incheon Red Angels won the league this weekend. You must be very proud of Jeongyeon.” Her boss smiled, gesturing for Mina to take a seat.

 

“I am sir, I’m very proud of her. She has trained all season and she is now in the championship final. And that’s what I’ve come to ask you about” Mina nervously took the seat opposite her boss.

 

“Oh, well what can I do for you then?” he asked.

 

“I won’t be able to make the first game, but could I please have the day of the second game off please so that I can support Jeongyeon.”

 

“Of course Mina, I can tell how important this is for you and Jeongyeon. Just make sure she wins.” Mina’s boss chuckled.

 

Mina was ecstatic. She was able to watch her girlfriend play in the most important game of her life live. But she knew she was going to keep this secret from her. She wanted to surprise Jeongyeon after the game. “Thank you so much sir, I don’t know what I can do to repay you.”

 

“You do nothing Mina.” He said. “This is a gift from me to you for how you have helped us here.” He opened the drawer and pulled out an envelope and gave it to Mina.

 

Mina was confused, but she opened the envelope and found a ticket for the game. It was as if her boss knew exactly what was going to be asked of him. Mina was in a state of shock.

 

“I brought that ticket the moment I knew that the Red Angels were going to be in the final as a present for you. Now I don’t want to hear no thanks or anything because you deserve this.” His grin was stretching from ear to ear, he was happy with Mina’s reaction, and with all being said and done, Mina returned back to work, but she was unable to focus on work for the rest of the day.

 

-----------------------------------back to the present day

 

Mina walked over to her bedside and opened the drawer, pulling out the ticket her boss had brought for her. Sure, she knew that Jeongyeon would have been able to have got her a ticket, but this was special. Mina put the ticket in her bag and picked up her house keys before exiting the house, making sure to lock the door behind her. She walked down the stairs from her front door, heading down to the street level and making her way towards the train station, ready to head to the stadium in Seoul.

 

After an hour long train journey from Incheon, Mina had finally made it to Seoul station. She had managed to f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter