Chapter 4

Last Chance

 

Go Minam’s point of view

 

"Alright now that that’s settled are we ready to go?" Shinwoo asked what’s he so eager about? I wanna stay here longer.

 

"I'm not!" I whined, "can we stay a little longer? Please? You can go ahead, we’ll catch up" I begged Shinwoo with my eyes.

 

"But we stopped so that you could catch up"

 

Right… "Well we’ll meet you at the camping spot"

 

"But you don’t even know where it is." Mi Nyu argued.

 

"Oh! Well I'm good with directions. Just tell me which way and I got it." I gave my heart-melting smile.

 

"Hold on, I’ll write it down…" Shinwoo said thoughtfully. He always thinks ahead…he reached for a napkin then looked around and signaled for a waitress to come over. A friendly brunet waitress with big boobs noticed and came over.

 

"Yes?" the waitress asked in a friendly voice.

 

"Do you happen to have a pen I could barrow?" Shinwoo said in his polite voice.

 

The beautiful waitress pulled a pen out of her back pant pocket and handed it over to him.

 

Shinwoo jotted something on the napkin quickly and returned the pen to its previous owner with a smile "thank you." He said to the waitress before she returned to her duties. Then he turned his attention to me "call my cellphone if you need me" he told me, then he turned his attention to Jeremy "we’ll need help setting up the tents first."

 

He not only lets me stay behind but also takes Jeremy off of my hands? Sweet! "Yes! Please take him!" I said enthusiastically.

 

Jeremy looked at me and stuck his tongue out. Why you little…

 

"Fine I will go!" Jeremy said still looking at me "Meanie doo-doo face!"

 

Childish as ever. That’s why he’s so fun to pick on. Well Shinwoo, Mi Nyu, and Jeremy are going so all that’s left is Tae-Kyung…

 

"Are you gonna stay here with me?" I asked Tae-Kyung almost expecting the answer he gave me

 

"I don’t care…" he mumbled. That’s a yes in my book!

 

"Well you guys can go ahead Tae-Kyung said he’s gonna stay with me."

 

"Okay we’ll be going then," Mi Nyu said glancing at Tae-Kyung hesitantly. Shinwoo followed Mi Nyu’s looks and sighed before starting to walk away with Jeremy. "Hurry up Mi Nyu! Were gonna leave without you!" Jeremy called out to my sister who was falling behind. "Coming!" she called and ran after them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tae Kyung’s point of view

 

 

Great. Now I'm stuck here. I should’ve just swallowed my pride and gone with them instead of hoping that Mi Nyu would leave Shinwoo to stay behind with me.

 

"Well I’ll be going then" I heard Go Minam say as he started to walk away.

 

"Yah! Were are you going? You’re just leaving me here?"

 

"I'm going to the second story to hit on girls and get new sunglasses. Do you really wanna come?" The last time I got dragged along while Go Minam hit on girls was a horrifying experience I never wanna do again.

 

"I’ll just browse around down here. Call me when you’re done."

 

Go Minam gave that damn cocky smile of his "That’s what I thought"

 

 

….

 

 

I walked around looking at window displays but not really looking, without realizing it I’d made 3 trips around each store.

 

I walked past another store and another all of them looking the same to me, except for one difference, one store had a lady that was standing outside it. She was staring at me. What? Has she recognized me? I knew I should’ve worn some type of disguise… on my fourth time passing her shop she called out to me "hey!"

 

I turned around to the lady and for once noticing the shop name "Blue Love" how corny.

 

"You look like an interesting man. Why don’t you come in?" the woman said smoothly and then walking into the store. I’ve got nothing better to do…

 

I followed her in.

 

She was standing behind the counter when I saw her. She motioned for me to come up to the counter, I did.

 

"Well young man what’s troubling you?" she asked in an oddly motherly way.

 

"Nothing" I said pertly. Liar.

 

"I’ll have you know I was a fortune teller and came across many different people! I can tell when you LyInG~~" she sung the last word. I happen to of ran into the only loon here. What great luck I have!

 

"Ma’am I'm not lying." I said half-heartedly. I'm usually great at lying…

 

"Your usually great at lying. But that doesn’t mean you can lie to Me." She sung the last part again. That could seriously get annoying…

 

"So what? You gonna read my palm or something?" I asked raising my eyebrow

 

"That’s a great idea!" she beamed oblivious to the sarcasm I had put in that sentence. Before I could retaliate she grabbed for my hand and pulled it in examining it, turning it in her own hands, then she sighed.

 

A sigh? What’s THAT mean?

 

"What?" I asked

 

"Mm this is not good…" she said thoughtfully.

 

My eyebrow raised "WHAT’S not good?" I don’t like it when people beat around the bush…

 

"You’re in love…" she replied grimly

 

"Since when is that a BAD thing?" I scowled as I always did

 

"Since your love won’t be returned. The one you love already has a soulmate" she put emphasis on the word ‘soulmate’.

 

"My love is already returned." I replied angrily. Why am I getting angry over this? This is stupid…

 

"No it’s not. She has already started to fall out of love with you…and she’s going to soon realize that the one who has always been closest to her is her soulmate." Shinwoo flashed through my mind. Damn it! No! She’s NOT falling for him! This lady and Go Minam are WRONG!

 

"You don’t believe me?"

 

"No." I was annoyed. "Why would I? I just met you. And you know nothing about me." I answered coldly, while glaring at her with my scowl in place.

 

"Sigh. You don’t wanna believe it. But you know I'm right." She had sympathetic eyes.

 

"Whatever." Just then I something caught my eye. It was a necklace, a match set, both silver chains with a simple silver heart, the only difference between the two was one had a red gem imbedded in the heart while the other had a blue gem.

 

The woman’s eyes followed my own. And suddenly she went into business mode "Ah THAT. Beautiful isn’t it? Just came in this s’morning that’s the last pair. Would you like to buy them?" Mi Nyu would probably like that.

 

"I’ll just get the red one" I stated.

 

"Mm. I would advise against that." She said again in a grim way. Geez this lady has split personalities.

 

"And WHY would that be?" I asked coolly, trying to keep my temper from getting the best of me. This lady’s annoying.

 

"There’s a story about them. If you buy only one then your love will be unrequited and never returned."

 

Ha! Like I’d believe that! They just say that to get suckers to spend more money. "I’ll just have the red one." I said in a determined voice.

 

Her eyebrow raised. "I warned you…" she said as she placed the necklace in a small box.

 

The second I walked out of the story Go Minam called me. I flipped the phone open "what?"

 

I heard Go Minam’s voice through the phone. "I'm ready to go, meet me at the entrance." Then he hung up. That rude little…I put my phone away and strided quickly to the entrance

 

 

 

 

Jeremy’s point of view

 

We took a small dirt road down as far as the path would let us. "Where’s the camping sight?" I asked bewildered. I don’t see anything but trees…

 

"We have to follow this trail down to the stream where we’ll be staying. It’s about a 5 minute walk." Shinwoo calmly explained as he opened the car door for Mi Nyu.

 

"I’ve got the weatherproof tents!"

 

"You can’t possible carry all three of them Jeremy, I’ll help" Shinwoo offered

 

"What will I carry?" Mi Nyu asked. Shinwoo thought about it for a second then went looking through the trunk and pulled out a medium sized suitcase. "Can you carry this for me?" he asked her politely.

 

"Yes!" he handed it over to her "What’s in it?" she asked curiously.

 

Shinwoo looked at the suitcase. "My clothes" he said giving her a soft smile. Mi Nyu’s cheeks reddened. Its so cute how innocent she is!

 

Shinwoo grabbed two of the three weatherproof tents.

 

"Mm? How come we only have three?" I asked curiously.

 

"They’re fairly large tent’s so the men will split into groups of two. While Mi Nyu gets her own."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shinwoo’s point of view

 

Were almost there. I looked behind me to see Jeremy carrying the tent like he was hugging it. You think it’d be hard to carry it like that…Mi Nyu was falling behind. Did I pick a suitcase too heavy for her? Maybe I should help… "Jeremy! Come here." Jeremy walked slightly faster until he was standing next to me. "Carry this please." I dropped one of the tents I was carrying into his care then walked back to Mi Nyu.

 

"I’ll carry this," I said as I took the suitcase from her with my extra hand. I gave her a smile. "I cant have you getting hurt." I explained.

 

"Ah yes, thank you Shinwoo" she smiled at me. I remembered what that one woman had said, ‘soulmates’. I felt my heart flutter. Please let it be true. Please let her love me back.

 

"Shinwoo?" Jeremy called from ahead. Ah right I was leading the way…

 

I returned to the front and saw the opening in the tree’s that meant we where there.

 

"Were here." I declared as they walked out of the forest and into a different atmosphere. Everything was the same as when I was a kid, the river was clear and flowed slowly, small pebbles surrounded the river and were below our feat, and it was a big open area that gave a magnificent view of the far off mountains. Across from the river was a small cliff that I used to jump off with my family into the deeper parts of the river. I looked over to my friends that were taking in the surroundings with their mouths open and eyes wide. Mi Nyu was the first to recover.

 

"It’s beautiful…" she said as she looked around. Our eyes connected. I felt that fluttering in my heart again. She smiled at me, the fluttering didn’t subside it wasn’t going to leave me anytime soon. Not as long as Mi Nyu is around, I thought to myself smiling. My train of thought was interrupted by Jeremy when he asked "Aren’t we gonna go back to get the rest of the stuff?"

 

We made several more trips. I always had Mi Nyu carrying the smallest items I could find. On our last trip Tae-Kyung and Go Minam arrived and it was starting to get dark. I was surprised that they didn’t have to call me once to find the place. Since most of the stuff was packed in my car we didn’t have much to take out of Go Minam’s, a suitcase, and our boxes of food was all. Jeremy was more then happy to carry his fruits and candies down the trail. When everything was brought down we started on the tents. Since both Jeremy and me was experienced we got our tent that we were sharing up fairly quickly while Go Minam and Tae-Kyung were still struggling with theirs, and Mi Nyu was improperly putting hers up.

 

"Help Tae-Kyung and Go Minam with their tent. I’ll help Mi Nyu." I commanded Jeremy. He quickly walked over to the tent they were having trouble with.

 

 

 

 

 

Mi Nyu’s point of view

 

 

"Need help?"

 

I turned my head to see Shinwoo standing there with his usual gentle smile; his eyes were on me.

 

I gave a clumsy smile "Please?" I simply said still propping the tent up with my hands.

 

Shinwoo walked up to me and gently replaced my hands with his. "You can sit down and rest, I’ll take care of this"

 

I obeyed. Sitting on the pebbles watching Shinwoo work quickly. Transforming the huge mound of plastic and cloth that I had made into what it was actually meant to be - a tent. I clapped as he finished, admiring how skillfully and gracefully he had done it, while I had been clumsy and not-so-graceful.

 

"That was amazing!" I complemented with two thumbs up. Shinwoo smiled and ruffled up my hair. I wonder why I like that so much…

 

"Thanks, I’ll help you get your sleeping bag in there too" he offered with a smile.

 

I was too entranced by his smile "okay…" I agreed.

 

"I’ll be right back." He assured me as he walked away.

 

 

 

Tae-Kyung’s point of view

 

I looked over at Mi Nyu. She was sitting there next to Shinwoo smiling, that little piggy-bunny. Has she already forgotten that I exist? That woman’s words haunted me…Pfft! Like I’d believe some fortuneteller!

 

Shinwoo ruffled up her hair then headed toward us. When he approached us he looked at Go Minam "do you know were Mi Nyu’s sleeping bag is? I haven’t seen it."

 

Go Minam looked over his shoulder "Nah. I haven’t seen it, who brought it down?" he asked Jeremy and me.

 

"I didn’t" Jeremy responded quickly. They all looked at me. "I haven’t seen it either."

 

"What?" Shinwoo asked, "well were did we put the sleeping bags?"

 

"Over there." Jeremy pointed to a small pile of sleeping bags. Even from a distance you could see there was only four.

 

 

 

Shinwoo’s point of view

 

 

Mi Nyu how could you forget your sleepingbag?

 

I sighed. It’s so typical of her. Mi Nyu started to walk towards us, probably wondering what’s taking so long.

 

"Shinwoo, what’s taking so long?" she asked.

 

I can’t let her be cold…she’ll get sick. I gave Tae-Kyung, Go Minam, and Jeremy a look that said ‘don’t say anything’. They all nodded. Then I looked back at Mi Nyu. She was looking at me, unaware of the situation.

 

I sighed again and gave her a warm smile. "Sorry I was taking so long. I was talking to them about something." It wasn’t a lie.

 

I walked over to the pile of sleeping bags and grabbed my own white sleepingbag, "Let’s get your tent ready." I can buy another sleepingbag tomorrow. It’s already nighttime and too dark to walk the trail safely.

 

"Okay Shinwoo" she said with a smile, as oblivious and innocent as ever.

 

It’s okay, I love her, and I won’t die of one cold night.

 

 

 

 

When we were done getting her tent filled with her stuff it still had plenty of extra room. Of course it’s made for two people.

 

Mi Nyu was setting up her bed while I was carrying in a box that was filled with various things. I set it down and curiously opened it. On the very top was a book that I was more then surprised to see.

 

"How’d you get this book? It’s not even in stores yet." I asked still staring at the book.

 

Mi Nyu looked over her shoulder while she spread the blanket out onto the mattress. "Mm? Oh that." She smiled warmly. Probably remembering something. "A Sister gave it to me. She’s the author and said she’d like me to read it in my free time."

 

I looked over to her. "May I barrow it?" I pleaded with my eyes.

 

"Yes, as thanks for helping me."

 

"Well if you don’t need me anymore I’ll be over in my tent reading this."

 

"A-ah No! I’ll take care of the rest." She gave a smile, "Goodnight Shinwoo."

 

I opened the tent flap, book in hand. "Goodnight Mi Nyu." I love you. As I walked out the fluttering in my stomach returned, I just smiled and walked to my own tent.

 

I could hear Jeremy’s laughter from outside. I opened the flap to see him playing his Nintendo DS, laughing loudly as he played. I won’t be able to read in peace here.

 

I walked over to the fire we’d purposely left still burning; Mi Nyu’s tent was the closest to the fire.

 

I smiled and opened the book reading it in the dim light of the flickering fire…

 

 

I'm starting to get tired…I should head to bed soon…

 

I heard a squeal come from Mi Nyu’s tent. Mi Nyu! I ran over to her tent opening the flap quickly with my free hand (the other was still holding the book). "What’s wrong?!" I asked expecting to see an animal or a person or that she had injured herself somehow.

 

No one’s here…I don’t see any animals… "Are you hurt?" I asked still concerned, I walked closer to her. She was in a ball in the corner next to her mattress looking straight at me with open eyes.

 

I knelt down beside her. "Are you hurt?" I repeated the question.

 

She shook her head. "No, sorry I just heard a noise and was frightened."

 

Her eyes still had fear in them. "Do you want me to stay here?" I asked her softly ruffling her hair. "Just until you fall asleep." I added.

 

She nodded her head. "Go get in your bed then." I chided softly. She obeyed. The sleepingbag was just a few inches away from where we were. She crawled in and pulled the thick blanket up to her nose, then wiggled into place until she was comfortable. Cute…

 

I opened my book and laid down next to her, I felt my eyelids become heavy and despite my struggles to stay awake I felt myself slowly drift to sleep. Not again were my last thoughts before I was out like a light.

 

 

 

Mi Nyu’s point of view

 

Why can’t I sleep? I glanced over at Shinwoo again. I can’t even count how many times I’ve done that.

 

"Shinwoo…" I whispered softly in the dim light. Even with my good eyes I could only see his silhouette…

 

"Are you awake?" I whispered again. I turned my body to face him; I was less then a foot away from his face. He was facing me also, his eyes closed his book had escaped his hold and laid between us. I reached for the book slowly making sure to not wake him and moved it out of my view and to the other side of my bed, then turned to face him again. I could feel his soft breath.

 

What’s this funny feeling I have in my stomach? I'm not hungry…I stared at Shinwoo’s sleeping face. He looks so beautiful and perfect…. Like a statue. I involuntarily reached my hand out and touched his sleeping face. Tracing the outline of his lips slowly then I pulled my arm back quickly. What am I doing?! I'm not a pervert! I forced myself to overt my eyes elsewhere, but they slowly drifted back to Shinwoo. His eyelashes are so long. How come I hadn’t noticed before? I slowly got closer. Inching my body closer to his. What am I doing?! I shouldn’t be doing this! My mind said but my body continued to inch forward, until finally I was almost pressed up against him, only an inch separating us. Why am I doing this? I tried to reason with myself. I don’t like Shinwoo so why am I doing this? Is that true? Do I REALLY not like Shinwoo? I thought I liked Tae-Kyung. So why has my mind been filled with thoughts of only SHINWOO and not Tae-Kyung? Do I really like Shinwoo? I looked at him, his angelic face so close to mine, his eyes closed, and I could feel his hot breath. I still had that funny feeling in my stomach. I softly pulled his bangs aside and felt my lips touch his forehead softly so as not to wake him. I quickly pulled back to my mattress, a foot now between us. I turned my back to him and touched my lips unconsciously. I felt my face heat; it felt like it was on fire. If I don’t like him then why did I enjoy that so much? What about Tae-Kyung? I’ll have to test it tomorrow, to see if I still like him…but how?

 

That night I fell asleep with thoughts of Shinwoo…