fin.

Sweet Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Sweet Serendipity

 

Mina doesn’t remember registering herself as uber driver and also very certain that there’s no way she would ever do that no matter how bad the situation she is in (like tonight where her parents urge her to get married as soon as possible if she wants to keep her position in the company). So, it was totally understandable for not-an-uber-driver to be alarmed and instantly grabbing a baseball bat hiding under her seat when someone suddenly opened her back door and entered in rush. She waits for the intruder to point something, knife or worst, a gun but nothing happened. The genre for this situation is yet to be discovered. Her eyes found its way to the rear mirror and spotting the intruder, a girl to be exact was sitting silently at the back. Okay, what the heck? The dim streetlamp makes it hard for Mina to makes out the girl’s face. Probably a drunk person entered wrong car, she came into conclusion after a series of what the heck? going on in her mind. Realizing that there’s no need for her to beat the out of someone for self-defend purpose, Mina lets go of her baseball bat and turns 90° degrees in her seat to confront the girl instead.

 

“Uh, excuse me. I think you enter-” Mina paused, sensing something odd about the girl. Hesitatingly, her hand reaches for the switch on the roof to turn the light on. Her suspicion is proven to be right when the light inside her car and finally saw the brunette’s face (well, not really because the girl hides her face in her palm as soon as the light on), but Mina is certain she’s indeed crying.

 

Look what we have here, an emotional mess drunk girl. Great.

 

“Can we not go to the address I give you?”

 

Mina was once again startled, this time because of two different reasons. First, it’s because of the stranger’s voice and she doesn’t have to ask her to repeat the words twice to know that she wasn’t drunk. She wasn’t slurring on her words like a typical irresponsible drunk person would act like. Second, what address? Did this person really mistake her as her uber driver? Unbelievable. What kind of humiliation is this? Okay, she wasn’t trying to flex here, but an uber driver for sure not going to drive strangers around in their Mercedes Benz in Gucci tailor-made office suit.

 

“You’re scoffing at me, is that a no?”

 

Mina blinked. Well, she didn’t mean to scoff out aloud like that, but the situation is just too absurd for her mind to comprehend. She clears and darts her eyes towards the not-drunk-but-surely-act-like-one girl only to blink once again, and again.

 

What the heck?

 

And just like that, the series of what the heck comes back.

 

The brunette is looking at her now, hands no longer hiding her face and Mina was sure as hell today events had finally made her insane because there’s no way a girl with smudged mascara looking totally like a black metal band member can render her, Myoui Mina, speechless. But this intruder isn’t just anyone and this is also not the first time she’s intruding.

 

It was a great opportunity for Mina and there’s no way she’s going to let it go waste when their homeroom teacher decided to leave them without any work to finish as he suddenly got paged to the Principal’s office. He had gone for almost half an hour already and the class had been in state of chaos since then (not that she’s complaining). As long as they didn’t disturb her, then it’s all good. She buried her face in her hands that rest on the desk, trying to catch some sleep because studying and training at the company were hard as hell. It costs her sleeping time.

 

She groaned quietly when she heard the door being opened and their homeroom teacher’s voice calling for their attention. The class turns silence as everyone scramble back towards their respective seat. Mina didn’t lift her head from the desk, instead she lifted the textbook to cover her herself from getting caught sleeping. Her seatmate slash best friend, Momo, who obviously didn’t give a about her I-want-to-sleep-don’t-you-dare-disturb-me-or-ISTG threat, nudged her on the ribs.

 

“We have a new transfer student.” She said, and that piqued Mina’s interest. She raised her head a little to take a peek, but the sleepiness was still strong as Mina could barely keep her eyes opened. One thing for sure, the transfer student was a girl.

 

“She’s so pretty.”

 

And pretty too according to Momo. But, any girl is pretty in Momo’s eyes. She’s just that gay.

 

Mina rubs her sleepy eyes, finally sitting up straight on her seat. She looked at the front of the class where Mr. Lee and the new girl were standing.

 

Mina blinked, and seemed to agree with Momo this time, because the girl was indeed pretty. She also noticed that she has an adorable bunny like front teeth. She noticed it when the girl let out a smile when a boy, she doesn’t care who asking if she’s still available. Boys were annoying.

 

“What’s her name again?”

 

“Im Nayeon.”

 

“Miss?”

 

The brunette’s voice snapped her out of her trance and Mina clears awkwardly before quickly turning her body back to the front.

 

This isn’t real, Mina. Calm down.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Okay, this is real.

 

“I-I should be the one who asking you that. I’m not the one crying inside a strang-” Mina paused, remembering that she was supposed to be her uber driver.

 

Mina was sure she's doing this because she doesn’t want to embarrass the brunette, who also used to be an old friend and totally not because of the girl is Im Nayeon, her pretty high school classmate who she may or may not had a crush on. Yep, that’s definitely the only reason. She is just that considerate.

 

“So, if you don’t want me to drive you to the address given, where do you want to go?” Mina asked as her hand fumbles with the ignition to start the engine, purpose of being here in the first place long forgotten. Her purpose can wait. It wasn’t common occasion for a fragment of her precious memory crying girl stumbling into your car and mistake you as her uber driver so yes, whatever reason she is here can wait. Might as well enjoy the night and praying that the brunette didn’t call cops on her for kidnapping attempt because she’s one hundred percent sure Im Nayeon didn’t recognized her and she's also obviously not her uber driver which is enough reason to sent Mina into jail. It stung a bit. But, who’s she kidding, it had been seven years since they saw each other, it’s normal to had forgotten your high school life. She is the weird one here. Mina’s eyes met hers when she looks at her in the rear mirror, “Anywhere.” She answered before breaking their eye contact and turn to look at the window. Mina narrowed her eyes at her, rude before reaches for the roof to turn off the light. Well, technically the brunette isn’t rude because she is an uber driver right now and no one really talk to their uber unless they start first, (it’s better try not to because the more talkative you are, the less rating you get) but of course Mina doesn’t know that, she never uses uber service even once in her twenty-five years of existence.

 

So, where did people usually go to cheer up a sad person?

 

Theme park? Mina shook her head quickly at the ridiculous thought. That’s a freaking date destination which a big no-no. What if she was crying because of relationship break-up and to bring her to place full of disgusting people in love (disgusting because Mina is bitter, she married to something that she could never bring to there). Her brain was busy brainstorming for a location to go as she drive around to notice Nayeon is staring at her through the rear mirror.

 

xxx

 

“So, what is your name?” Mina asked as if she didn’t just spend their entire drive recalling her high school year memories that featuring the girl at the back seat.

 

“I don’t think it’s necessary for you to know.” She said, eyes already focused back to the window when Mina glance at her through the rear mirror. The smudged on her face were all gone now, and Mina swor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter