Bonus and Cute

Tycoon Gang Leader

Seven [Bonus and Cute]

A/N: I had a lot of fun writing this chapter so I hope you'll all enjoy it >:D 

- KaihleeLo

The gold, metal letters that spell out ‘GoldMusic’ on the front and west side of the seven-story building glistens golder under the sun. Producing a peaceful twinkle on Chaewon’s face as she can’t wait to become all of its’ keeper. Her tranquil morning; however, doesn’t serve when Hyewon had to relay a caller’s message. From the passenger seat, Hyewon lowers the mobile and states, “Kim Minju is at the bar with Kwon Eunbi. How would you like them to proceed?”  

The revelation impressed her as quickly as it overwhelmed her. Chaewon initially counted on Minju’s impulse to hunt down the faction originally and not a former mentor and gang member. Because only then can she take any credit for intervening and saving Minju from the big bad AVICIDE. 

Being incorrect and overlooking small details was beneath her, but Chaewon doesn’t let it takes her mind off of a perfect given opportunity, “Have Eunbi stall her. Meanwhile, the rest of us pay the bar a visit in person.” 

Hyewon nods then press the phone against her ear, “When Eunbi asks for refills, give her water. We’re on our way.” 

The second Hyewon hangs up, Chaewon smiles at the back of her head, “Was that Joochan the bartender on the phone?” 

“Yes, Boss. When you suspected Eunbi was disloyal to AVICIDE and suggested I put Joochan’s skills to good use, I convinced the owner at the bar Eunbi frequents at to hire him. He’s behind the confirmation of Eunbi’s betrayal and hideout before you convinced her to join us.”

“Is that so? He deserves a raise then,” Chaewon says proudly. As the driver gets them back on the road, Chaewon taps the armrest cheerfully 

Every now and then, Hyewon appreciates Chaewon taking advantage of the situation and swimming in her success—or at least the thought of her succeeding. GoldMusic will be hers soon and Hyewon knows Chaewon’s been working hard for it. 

It also has been a long time since Chaewon personally praises one of Hyewon’s underlings and finds them worthy of a raise; knowing how stingy Chaewon is with money. However, Hyewon silently hopes the surprise meeting with Minju won’t ruin Chaewon’s mood as she wouldn’t want said one to take her anger out on someone who’s been practicing and failing at playing a few instruments night and day.  “I will see to it,” Hyewon answers gently. 

 

 

When Chaewon, Hyewon, and a handful of their gang members enter the bar, the few paying customers immediately clear up the room. Those who acted slower than others were hauled out by the stronger gangsters. Outside, Chaewon’s men and women guard the door and prohibit anyone new from entering as the rest are forced to leave quietly. 

Hyewon shuts the door without a sound then stands with her back to it. Her legs were spread apart and her hands were clasp before her as she keeps a keen eye on Chaewon and the second party. Though they haven’t noticed Chaewon yet. 

When the bartender, Joochan, locks gazes with her, he bows and waits for her to gesture him over. Joochan is a good looking young man with good hygiene. Compare to Bomin, he has a brighter aura and Chaewon assumes it has to do with how he was raised and the people he’s surrounded by. Without being asked, Joochan has already poured Chaewon a glass of their finest whiskey. While he brings it to her, she takes it with no questions asked. After her second sip and some time exchanging gazes with Eunbi, she sees Minju turning around to look at her. 

It’s been three years since they’ve last heard of each other but Minju is still the same beautiful girl she fell for as a teenager. Except the murderous look in Minju’s eyes quickly give Chaewon deja vu of their last confrontation, when she was labeled a ‘traitor’. 

Despite trying her damndest to suppress the memory and telling herself she deserved it over and over again, the word still leaves a bad taste in . Since it came from Minju after all. Someone she thought was understanding, trusting, and overprotective of her. 

But then she would remind herself that Minju is no saint and never claimed to be. And that sole reason was always good enough for her to move on and forgive Minju. So when she sees Minju and the woman is looking right back at her, she makes zero effort to hide a pleased smile. 

Raising her glass, she takes a drink then sets the cup down and greets the other, “Welcome back, stranger.” 

Minju scoffs as she’s having trouble believing what’s in front of her. 

Chaewon observes as Minju turns to Eunbi for an in-depth explanation, but the lass simply points with her chin toward Chaewon’s direction again. Urging the confused woman to take the first steps. 

Before Chaewon and Minju carry on, Eunbi gets off her stool and stands a few steps away from Minju. The sitter the corner of her lips, feeling antagonized by the presence in the dim room. 

“Very brave of you to lure me into one of your traps,” Minju says accusingly, loud enough for Chaewon and everyone in the room to hear. “But you’re going to need more than three backups, including your little spy behind the counter.” 

When Minju spits out the word ‘spy’, the small smile on Joochan’s face fades instantly. Chaewon notices it too and curses him for abandoning a fearless and collected facade. 

Chaewon exhales, calmly, trying to recall how she needed their meeting to go down, “I didn’t come here to fight—” 

“Then what have you come for!” Minju asks angrily as she springs onto her feet, grabs Eunbi’s drink, and throws it at the wall across from her. There’s a loud cling as the glass shatters into countless pieces and water splatter on the wall and ceiling. And as she did all of that, she never blinked once and kept Chaewon in her line of vision. 

Chaewon gives Minju a moment to catch her breath then presses her lips together and shrugs, uncertain of the real reason herself, “I felt I had to see you again.” Chaewon confesses though she means to be more honest than romantic. “We couldn’t break it off properly because of the situation and I hate having loose ends.” 

The grimness in Minju’s eyes hardly melts albeit Chaewon’s genuine declaration. So for a brief second, she wonders if honesty was the best policy. The standing, however, prevents Chaewon from completing anymore self-doubt as she denies compromising, “Sounds like another personal problem,” Minju states in a cold manner, “It’s so like you to be inconsiderate and insensitive. You poisoned our boss, someone who treated you like her own child. Someone you respected and accepted as your foster mother. Your only living immediate family three years ago and you killed her. And yet, you felt you had to see me again to tie loose ends? Explain to me right now why I shouldn’t just put you out of your misery—!” as Minju stomps toward Chaewon, ready to hurt the sitter, the bartender quickly intervenes by drawing a pistol from behind the counter and pointing it at Minju’s head. Hyewon and Eunbi also corner them until Chaewon relieves them with a raise of her palm. 

The target stops dead in her tracks and side-eye the man. All the while, Chaewon heaves a sigh of relief and work to stand up and folds her arms across her chest. With a fleeting click of her tongue, she’s disappointed to say, “Like always, you prefer to talk with your fists. I’ve told you before that the open hand works just as well and/or even better than the closed hand.”

When Chaewon sees the corner of Minju’s lip twitches, she knows she’s hit a nerve. Minju is still easy to piss off and Chaewon just can’t work with a hot-head at the moment. But while she debates the possibility of putting Minju’s role to rest, for the time being, the other catches the conflicted facial expression she wore mid-thought. 

“The bastards that attacked me,” Minju speaks roughly, “it was you, wasn’t it?” 

Although Chaewon is a genius, Minju’s sudden shift in gear confuses her. And it’s a few seconds of looking dumbfounded before Chaewon catches on, “They were new recruits and you were the best trial run. Really. Thanks to you none of them work for me anymore.” 

Minju scoffs, “What? You used me as a trial run for your latest minions?” 

“Relax. Both parties got bodies—volunteered bodies to practice on and free exercise. You’ve always loved a good workout so what’s the problem?” Chaewon asks with a mild smug; a small crack of the lip she didn’t think Minju would get upset over. 

“Clean that look off your face before I do it for you.” 

Chaewon sighs and breaks her posture. Then she notices Joochan still has a gun to Minju’s head so she signals for him to lower it with his eyes. And when he did, Minju unexpectedly went on the attack. With one swing of her strong arms, the lass manages to grasp one of the stools’ legs and flings it at Joochan, knocking him out instantly. Before Hyewon and Eunbi can react, Minju picks up Joochan’s gun and points it directly in the middle of Chaewon’s temple. 

Hyewon and Eunbi exchange terrified looks but neither can do a thing to stop whatever madness Minju is about to do. 

“I told you to clean your face,” Minju threatens in a low voice and turns off the safety. 

Chaewon’s chest rises and falls rapidly as she hates sudden, uncalled for moves. Once the smug dwindles, she’s bound to hear what Minju came to and wants to discuss. 

“To avoid any more of my wasted time with you, I need you to answer my questions without, well, being you,” Minju demands with a jerk of her eyebrow. It’s the left brow, the same one that Minju tends to raise when she’s in the mood to seduce or tempt another. 

“Fine,” Chaewon answers plainly, hoping Minju is finally lightening up for the sake of their shared history. And possibly revisiting the days they were madly in love. Like how Minju refused to stop teasing Chaewon because the latter is adorable when she finally noticed Minju was flirting with her. Or how they spent all night causing havoc and all day sleeping on a single bed because it was comfortable and Chaewon wouldn’t let Soyeon buy her a bigger bed because she wanted to hang a punching bag in her room for Minju. Or Minju wanting to build a gaming computer for Chaewon’s 17th birthday that she secretly participated in and won three underground boxing rounds to earn some money toward it. Even though she had promised Chaewon she would never set foot in another boxing ring ever again. 

“What else are you responsible for? Is what Eunbi said true? Is Big Boss alive?” Minju asks, then grows silent to give Chaewon a chance to answer. 

The redhead stays still for a bit. Then she takes a step closer to Minju and stares into the other’s brown eyes.

“Jeon Soyeon was alive,” she reveals then sighs, feebly, “unfortunately after she was resurrected, she fell into a coma then became brain dead. She’s gone now.” 

Chaewon sees the hurt in Minju’s face, but she figures it’s safer, to be honest. In the end, she still needs Minju to help her achieve her task of buying GoldMusic. 

Slowly but surely, Minju drops the gun and lets out an inaudible gasp. Chaewon carefully bends over to collect the gun as Minju falls into a state of great shock. But before she can weep for Soyeon, something else comes to mind. Something almost as important as her life. 

“Why did you leave AVICIDE?” Minju questions under a whisper as Chaewon tucks the gun in between her skin and pants, behind her back. The woman’s sudden interest catches Chaewon off guard and she hesitates to find the perfect answer. Not because there wasn’t one but because she isn’t sure how much of it Minju is willing to believe. 

They remain quiet for a long time until Chaewon breaks the ice with a small smile, “I felt like moving on. Being the boss of something I created,” she says, though it’s only a quarter of the truth. Minju had no idea Chaewon only wanted AVICIDE and was inclined to lead it as long as Minju was a part of it. But the second Minju was gone, Chaewon saw no reason to stick around. Above all, what was the point of becoming Soyeon’s living legacy when she can’t even enjoy it with the love of her life? 

“It was nice seeing you again, Minju.” Chaewon voices gently then her head at Hyewon. Wanting her to check on Joochan and see if the poor lad is still breathing. So while Hyewon goes behind the counter to check for a pulse Eunbi keeps watch over Chaewon and Minju. The sight of them together, again, brings a grand smile to her face and she wonders how long Minju is going to hold out on Chaewon when everyone knows Minju isn’t over the great and evil mastermind Chaewon.  

“He’s alive,” Hyewon relays, earning a hum from Chaewon. 

“Great, when he’s awake give him that raise and a bonus. Also, going forward, anyone who survives Kim Minju’s blows deserves a bonus,” Chaewon says before sparing Minju a wink. 

Minju frowns, with disgust written all over her face.  

 

 

“I’m really, really trying here.” Bomin groans from behind a blue drum set as he drowns in distress. 

Chaewon shakes her head in disapproval, “The drum is one of loudest instruments ever invented and yet you’ve managed to put me and the majority of your friends to sleep. Trying isn’t good enough.” She looks over her shoulder and behind her, Bomin can see the line of their gang members sitting on the ground with their backs to the wall and...napping. Those who weren’t snoring are trying to keep their eyes open. 

“Fine,” Bomin pouts before pounding away at the drums. 

Beside her, Hyewon pulls Chaewon out of the room and into the hall to have a few words with her. The puller then shut the door to tune out Bomin’s messy drumming. 

“Boss, I would like to ask you a few questions.” 

Chaewon arches her brows together, “Sure.” 

“You let Kim Minju go without asking about Jeon Soyeon’s Will. Why?” 

The redhead flashes her second-in-command a small smile before pocketing her hands, “See, I thought about manipulating Minju into handing it over but...we both know lies can spiral out of control. I’ve decided to let Minju come to me.” 

“How do you know she will?” 

“AVICIDE should have heard about her return by now. Her sister’s apartment is basically in their backyard. Sooner than later, they’ll demand that form from Minju and she’ll need help keeping it safe.” Chaewon answers, confidently. 

“So, the reason you convinced your brother to move in with Kim Yeonhee was to protect her from AVICIDE? Since Kim Minju would be occupied with keeping the will out of AVICIDE’s possession?” 

Chaewon hums, “No one is more protective of cute girls than Felix. He’ll do Miss Yeonhee more good than bad.”

“Why do you think Kim Yeonhee is cute?” 

“She’s Minju’s sister. She’s got to be cute.” 

Hyewon clears , awkwardly, “Next question.” 

“Sure.” Chaewon chimes, maintaining her smile. 

“Revisiting your not wanting to lie to Kim Minju. Why did you tell her Jeon Soyeon is dead when she is perfectly fine and healthy in Germany?” 

Chaewon scoffs, forgetting that Hyewon is the only other person who knew about Soyeon’s current whereabouts, “I thought it’d be better. Soyeon will appreciate it since she wants to lead a quiet and peaceful life, free and far away from all the gang activities.” 

Hyewon skips breathing when she hurriedly counters, “In other words, you hid the fact that she is alive because otherwise AVICIDE would not look for her will and Kim Minju will not seek you out for protection. So in contrary to what you said, you are in actuality manipulating her and everyone else.” 

The redhead grows impatient as her next-in-line is aware of her schemes and even rubs it in, “You’re awfully nosy and unkind right now,” Chaewon teases, hoping her childishness will throw Hyewon off track. But it doesn’t work as Hyewon comes back with a stronger question. 

“You still love her, huh?” Chaewon in a deep breath and rubs her nape. As she wonders what the truth is, Hyewon happily takes her pause for an answer. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell her, Boss. But do realize that you are never one to lie to me, but because of her, you have done it a number of times today. I also ask that you assure me that this will not be a consistent problem.”  

Chaewon smiles widely at Hyewon before putting her into a headlock. “I got it. You’re so cute when you’re jealous.”

“Boss!” 

“Alright, fine. I’m sorry, it won’t happen again... You’re still adorable!”

“Hey, Chaewon!” 

“Oh? You just called me by my name! Wow, you’re becoming ruder by the second.” 

The second Hyewon frees herself from Chaewon, she retreats into the practice room and leaves Chaewon whining in the hallway all to herself. The redhead scowls in disbelief then speedily follows her subordinate.