Chapter 56: Best friend...?

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


When Wonwoo started to clean up, Dean moved as well. Looking at the kid, he was reminded of Eunhye, who would not say anything but work as noisily as she could to make them feel they should do something as well.

"It's okay, hyung," Wonwoo told him. "There's not much to do anyway."

Dean laughed. "You sound exactly like her."

The younger kid scratched his head. Wonwoo originally did not know what he should do at times like those. Back at their dorm, all he would do was clean up his own mess, or wait for someone else (usually Mingyu) to do the chores. He was called lazy but he just actually did not know what to do. Eunhye figured that out and taught him how he could be useful.

"What was she like?" Wonwoo asked. "In junior and senior high?"

"I only met them during high school," Dean said. He pointed to Dongwook who was playing a mobile game outside their tent. "Dongwook was with them in middle school. Ya. Dongwook-a."

The guy lifted his head. "Yeah?"

"Socialize, man," Dean said. "Where's Hyoseob? He's supposed to be the one doing the dishes."

Dongwook cracked a smile. "I'm almost done here."

Dean told Wonwoo stories when they were in high school. During their early years, she sounded like a carefree student. She was that annoying friend who seemed to do nothing but play but was on top of the rankings without trying. She was a daughter of two doctors so it was expected that she was a genius. They thought she would take the path of her parents but she took Arts instead because she loved comics, but later shifted to the technological science when she realized she could make better career out of engineering. Wonwoo did not know she took arts as her major in high school.

"There was this one time," Dongwook said, joining in. "It was a mock test for the national ranking during third grade in middle school. I called them up, Eunhye and Zico. They told me they were playing Counter Strike. I could hear the video game sounds. I thought it was okay that I didn't really study because, they didn't, too."

"Ah, they did that to me, too," Dean muttered, smiling at the memory.

"The next day, Eunhye was ranked first in the whole third grade. Zico was rank 8 in our classroom. Those traitors."

"What about Chanyeol-hyung?" Wonwoo asked, laughing with Dean.

"We flunked together," Dongwook said. "He went to their study group but fell asleep. The b*stards didn't even invite me."

"Zico shifted to tech-sci with Eunhye," Dean reminded Dongwook. "Which was weird because the guy hated math. She probably bullied him into transferring so she'd have someone she knew on that end of the building. It's a mystery how Jiho graduated. Maybe she let him cheat from her."

"Eunhye's a really good tutor," Dongwook countered. "She wouldn't let anyone cheat from her but she did helped me out when I had to take supplemental exam during the summer break. If not for her I would have repeated sophomore year."

"Torture-tutor?" Dean muttered.

Wonwoo laughed. They asked him how it was like having her as a TA, and then the conversation turned into why he took his major and what he wanted to do after. They also gave him points about the military if ever he got assigned to bases similar to theirs. He used to hate cleaning but it turned out to be fine and now that there was three of them working on it, they finished quickly.

"Hyoseob went to sleep on purpose." Dean was sure of it. "He knew someone else would clean. If any of those two saw these..." He shook his head.

Wonwoo picked the segregated trash. "I'll throw these away, hyung."

"Thanks, Wonwoo-ya," Dongwook said.

The area for the garbage was a bit far from the actual camping grounds and Wonwoo had to go there. On his way back, he decided to go to where he and Eunhye agreed to meet, since it was nearer than the camping grounds from where he was. When he got there, she did not seem to be alone.

"...didn't sleep with Mark until your first anniversary because you thought that would make it special." He recognized Zico's voice, although it slurred a bit. He was about to turn away and give them privacy but he heard his name. "You've only dated Wonwoo for what, two months? Hye, if this is still about revenge at what Mark did to you, you have to stop it now. It's not fair to Wonwoo."

Wonwoo froze. He knew Eunhye shared a lot of things with her best friends but he had no idea it would include these stuff. What Zico was suggesting was something that had been playing in Wonwoo's own mind and he did not like it that someone else would have that same theory. It just increased the possibility that it was true.

"It's not. I swear."

"You were the one who told me not to bring into a relationship," Zico went on. "Especially if I'm serious. You said it would ruin everything and it did with me and Seolhyun. You were right. So you're telling me you're serious with Wonwoo but you're going against your own values? Pretty hypocritical, don't you think?"

He did not expect that this was how deep their friendship went. Wonwoo could only share those sort of information with either Mingyu or Seungcheol, but even with those two, he would keep some of his thoughts to himself. Wonwoo thought Chanyeol was the one who knew Eunhye, but Zico's wise words got even to Wonwoo. It also felt different, hearing her talk to someone else about their relationship. He had been wondering how she would talk about it without Wonwoo being there.

"I don't want to see you beat yourself up if you hurt him in the future."

"I won't," Eunhye said. "It's different this time, Jiho. I don't know how to put it into words. I know you've heard this a lot from me, but it really is."

"You said that with Mark last time."

"No, I didn't," she insisted. "Mark was... complicated. Maybe it's the cultural difference, I don't know. The guy's more American than Taiwanese, okay? With Wonwoo--"

"What? He has the same culture?"

She laughed. "No. He... understands me. I've dated before but this feels different. The connection's different."

"The guy is head over heels for you, Hye."

Wonwoo thought it was an understatement. He felt bad for eavesdropping but he was also curious about what she would say.

"It's him you're worried about? You're worried I'd hurt him? Since when did I fool around, Jiho?" 

Wonwoo could hear the hurt in Eunhye's voice. He found it ironic that both her friends took his side when they found out they were dating. He felt stupid for even thinking her friends were in love with her when all they had was genuine care for her. He remembered Eunhye saying that her best friends had been her family more than her actual one did, making Wonwoo realize she never actually talked about her real family. He only met Yunho, but then that was it.

He decided he should not listen in anymore and went back to the camping grounds. It did not feel right for him to eavesdrop to her counseling session and that was what it sounded like. 

When he got there, Dean was back to smoking, but Dongwook was now sitting beside him, listening to cool music and drinking.

"Want one?" Dongwook asked Wonwoo, pointing to the beer. Wonwoo nodded and Dongwook handed him a can.

"Hyung," Wonwoo turned to Dean. "Are you seeing anyone right now?"

"Why? Are you going to introduce me to someone?"

Wonwoo snorted. "I don't have that much connection, sadly."

"I'm taking a break right now," Dean said, snuffing his cigarette out. "I just came back to Seoul because Jiho seemed lonely. Ha ha."

"Eunhye said he was getting back with Seolhyun," Dongwook offered. "But when I asked Jiho, he almost punched me for mentioning her name."

Dean scrunched his face. "Why would he even get back with her?"

"What happened?" Wonwoo was not the one to gossip but he knew every time that girl's name would come up, Eunhye's face would always turn sour, so he was curious. He had seen the girl from the Tourism department (not that he digged the information up on purpose, but she was pretty famous in their school), and he did not think she was so bad. Not that he would tell Eunhye that.

Dongwook relayed the story of Zico's ex who cheated on him with her school teacher. Wonwoo felt bad for Zico, and figured that was why Eunhye was comfortable sharing with him those things he heard them discussing. He did not know what he would do if the same thing happened to him.

"I heard Jiho's old flame showed up," Dean countered. "And she's getting married. That's more likely why he's acting ed up right now."

The more Wonwoo listened in, the more he w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter