When All The Upward Goes Downward

Wear My Heart to Keep You Warm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung found a way inside.

She wouldn’t say this to Mrs. Im but it’s kind of irresponsible to let the living room window open. When she was sneaking, hiding behind the bushes, she thought Nayeon’s watching some K-drama, but when she looked closely, the TV is just on and no one’s inside. It’s just Kookeu trying to go upstairs, but the fence is too tall for him.

He kept barking somewhere upstairs and it’s weird. Most of the time, he’d bark at her while waggling his tail. He looks distress.

She opened the door fence and let Kookeu run upstairs, as if he’s telling Chaeyoung that it’s an emergency. She can hear him trying to open a door as he whines.

“Nayeon?” she went to the kitchen first and saw that the place is a mess. The cabinet doors are all wide open, as if someone just stole everything that has a worth in a hurry. Though there’s something that caught her attention. The cabinet with lock seems like it was opened forcibly.

She opens it slowly, hoping that Nayeon didn’t take the kitchen knife.

There’s broken spoons and forks on the floor and upon inspecting at it, it was the object that has opened the cabinet door. It’s all wrecked and bended.

She remembers the day when Mrs. Im made them lasagna for dinner when they all discovered that Nayeon is not in a stable health. Nayeon’s mom asked them to go to their house to cheer Nayeon up because she hasn’t been herself. While they were chitchatting in the dinner table, Mrs. Im excused herself and went back with a key that fits perfectly in the locked cabinet. Nayeon was pretending.

Chaeyoung’s face went pale when she saw all of the knife missing.

She quickly run to Nayeon’s room to open it, but it’s locked. Kookeu’s trying to open the door with his claws.

“Nayeon!” Chaeyoung calls the latter, trying to open the door with her power. She keeps hitting the door with her shoulders even though it hurts.

She remembers Nayeon asking her not to cry, but her tears frantically loosen up, streaming down in her cheeks as she screams her friend’s name.

 “You’re such a crybaby. It’s the rumor that Tzuyu has a girlfriend, no?”

That was all she can hear. She wants to hear the girl’s voice and not just in her head with the past memories. Nayeon always listen to her even with the worst reason why she’s angry, frustrated, or sad. Nayeon has always been there for her even when she’s hurting. She didn’t know she was in pain.

“Please, open the door,” she pleads as she kneels down, knocking at the door endlessly.

Nayeon holds as she cries, sitting at the corner of the bathroom. Her arms are bleeding, but it’s not painful—to hear Chaeyoung scream her name as she loses hope is.

 

Nayeon opens her eyes in a daze, the sleeping pill still kicking in.

“Hey, you’re finally awake!”

The voice sounds unfamiliar.

She squints her eyes from the light, rubbing softly as she yawns.

This is not a dream.

She really is inside a Psychiatric Ward, with Jennie sitting at the corner of her bed while Yeri sits on her bed beside Nayeon, looking at her with a smile.

“I tried waking you up at six for breakfast but you wouldn’t wake up,” Jennie explains. “It’s nine already, you should eat.”

Nayeon takes her moment to look at her surroundings. Nayeon saw Momo sleeping at her bed, just in front of Yeri’s. Jennie seems to understand Nayeon’s confused look.

“Momo doesn’t wake up until ten,” she says softly while she arranges her uno cards. “She doesn’t eat her breakfast and she barely eat lunch and dinner. I honestly don’t know where she gets the energy.”

“Maybe with the amount of water she drinks,” Yeri hums as she places a blue reverse card.

“Should I wake her up?” Nayeon asks, standing up as she makes her hair into ponytail.

“Oh no,” Jennie looks at her seriously. “No one wakes her up. She gets really scared when someone touches her while she’s asleep. It has something to do with her trauma.”

Nayeon nods, looking at the girl sleeping at the corner pitifully. Just how much pain and trauma are here?

 

Jeongyeon held a big rock, hitting the window numerous times before it finally broke. She barges in Nayeon’s room and saw traces of blood from her bed to the bathroom. Her fear is getting higher and higher.

Her knuckles and hands are throbbing and bleeding from the little pieces of the window.

She kicks near the lock with the heel of her feet multiple times as she screams Nayeon’s name.

Jihyo can hear all the screaming, crying, and barking as she comforts Chaeyoung. Jeongyeon didn’t have the time to open the room’s door. Jihyo’s driver is calling Nayeon’s sister, Soyeon, telling her to go home quickly and reach her mom.

Jeongyeon takes a step back. Nayeon’s arms are bleeding from the cuts, but she’s holding tons of pills in her hands, ready to swallow everything.  

“Please,” the older girl pleads as tears downpour endlessly. She moves her hand holding pills to slowly, “I’m tired. I just want to end this.”

Before she can overdose herself, Jeongyeon runs and slaps Nayeon’s hand. She pulls the older girl into her arms and holds her close, mumbling softly, “I’m here, I’m here.”

Nayeon looks pale… and worse. She looks like she hasn’t taken a bath for 3 days. Her lips are pale and her eyes looks dead, her eye bags swollen from the lack of sleep she’s getting.

When Jeongyeon holds Nayeon’s wrist, she realized she’s become thinner.

 She reaches Nayeon’s cheeks. She’s blinking slowly, leaning into Jeongyeon. She feels weak.

“I’m sorry.”

 

Nayeon’s watching the patients, even the nurses and interns, dance. She’s quietly eating banana on the corner.

“You’re not going to eat that?” the nurse aid, Bogum, points the steak and rice as he sits beside her.

She shakes her head, timid to say something.

“Alright, more food to my tummy then,” he smiles as he walks to the nurse’s station.

Yeri sat across the table as she drinks water. She’s the only one who actually wants to participate in the Zumba. She gasps for air before proceeding to talk to Nayeon. “They don’t force us to eat unlike in our home.”

Nayeon munches her banana as she nods. “I guess that’s pretty nice.”

The younger girl hums. “I gotta give you the rules so you can adjust here pretty easy.”

Jennie sits beside Yeri, looking pretty bummed after dancing for one song.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter