Ice Cream

Bunny (Teeth)
Please log in to read the full chapter

From : Doyoung

To      : Sojin

Hi, it's Doyoung! How are you feeling? Does the medicine still do its job fine?

It starts with this.

Awkward after not seeing each other for so long, the conversation just has to start with that. However, the two long lost friends try their best to make up for the lost time the rest of the week. Whatever free time they have will be spent chatting with each other through the messenger app, they do have a LOT to catch up, after all. Sojin always feels somewhat giddy every time a ping can be heard from her phone. Sometimes the excitement erased when she finds out the message is work-related instead of what she expected. The constant smile on her face and general excited behaviour are not missed by Yeri. Especially after she has been complaining about her tooth until Tuesday. 

“Care to share the reason you act like a high school girl in love?” she asks while wiggling her eyebrows.  

“No crushes, as per usual. It’s just that… My dentist’s new assistant turns out to be my long lost best friend from primary school. It’s been over 10 years since we last met! I couldn’t recognise him cuz he changed so much! Wow, he used to be so chubby and now he’s like tall and lean. Anyways, he recognised me because he sees this bunny he gave me years ago. Good thing I always have this on me!” Hearing her excited response, Yeri thinks crush or not, she’s happy that her friend gets at least something good from her complain-inducing pain. And hopefully, something more brewing too.  

***

As Friday comes, Sojin feels a sense of foreboding. Maybe it’s because of the article she read yesterday, how a man lost his ability to taste after the same extraction procedure. There are still so many good meals to taste! Maybe it’s just the nerve talking. Although considered minor, this teeth extraction procedure is her first-ever surgery in her whole life.

The day passes like a blur and before she knows it, Sojin is already at the waiting room of the dental clinic side of the hospital. She still has around 15 minutes before her appointment. She thinks being early is good, it can help her ease the nerve a little bit. She tries to distract herself from her impending fate by replying Yeri's texts and reading the provided magazines in the room. Not long after, Doyoung emerges from the room and beckons her over. Guess, it's go-time. 

Doctor Lee explains the risks of the surgery and makes her sign a waiver document for that. That adds to her paranoia about the surgery. But if it's any consolation, the dentist assures that they can always inject more anaesthetic if she feels any pain during the surgery. Plus, Doyoung is also there as a (knowledgeable) moral support aside from being the assistant. He looks ultra laid-back so everything should be alright.  

"I'll start with this local anaesthetic. It will be a little uncomfortable, you can make sound, don't just hold it in if it hurts too much, okay?"

With that, the surgery starts. Noticing Sojin's clenched fist and occasional finger fidgeting, the older dentist and her assistant share stories in the hope that it will help her to relax. Doyoung reveals to doctor Lee how they turn out to be hometown best friends. Doctor Lee, in turn, shares Doyoung's antics as a dentistry student and how she decided to accept him as an assistant. With all those story-telling, one hour flies by. After doctor Lee was done with the extraction, Doyoung was the one who stitches up her gums and applies some antibiotic ointment thing that shoul

Please log in to read the full chapter