Final

Rooftop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rooftop. 

 

The open and wide space at the highest place of my high school. A constant place for all the memories made between her and I. This is the place where I first met her. Well, more likely, when she barged in this open space when I was having my alone time. 

 

I still clearly remember that day. She pleaded for me to let her stay here as if I own the place. Turns out, she kept coming back to see if she can spot the rooftop, 'personless' she said but will leave disappointed because she always sees me every time she comes back. Being the kind person she is, she would always leave the space so that I can have my alone time, telling herself to just go back some other time. But that time didn't come because she would always see me here, wallowing in my thoughts so she decided to just barge in and pleaded for me to share the space with her. 

 

It was a funny memory now that I think of it because I can see the desperation in her face. Later that day, I found out that she was cheated on by her ex. I wasn't even asking but she just went beside me, leaning on the railings as well and narrated her story.

 

That was the start of the countless times that she would tell me her story in this same place. That was the start of something new but unexpected friendship. The beginning of something I didn't know will blossom into more profound affection and attachment. 

 

And now, we're here again at this rooftop. The wind is blowing gently across my face, elbows resting on the railings as I looked down below. The only sound I could hear was her ragged breathing and the beating of my heart. My body tensed but I tried not to show it to her. 

 

“Hey.” said the voice right beside me. 

 

I averted my gaze from the ground to her. Joohyun. 

 

Joohyun, the person who suddenly came into my life. The one that filled this rather barren space. That one constant. The peace of my heart. That warmth that seeps through me amidst the cold. 

 

“I have something important to tell you.” she looked at me, with those brown eyes that eloquently expresses every emotion that she feels and as of the moment, love is what I see. 

 

I turned my body towards her to urge her to out with it.

 

“We’ve known each other for some time, right?” she took a deep breath. “I’ve been thinking a lot, even practicing with my best friend about this.” she bit her lip as she shyly looked down. It brought a small smile to my lips.

 

“I like you.” she said as she took her courage to look at me. Piercing me with a stare full of admiration. “I like you more than a friend should.” 

 

My heart beats erratically as soon as I heard those words come out from her. I took a lungful of breath, trying to compose myself as I can already feel the tears surging up. Compose yourself, Kang. 

 

“I’m sorry.” she continued. “This is my first time confessing to someone I really like so I really don’t know what to say so if you’re weird-” I took her hand to stop her from rambling too much. It seems to work for she quieted down. Seemingly waking up from the reverie. 

 

“Joohyun, it’s okay.” I said, still with a small smile plastered on my face. “You don’t have to say anything after you confessed.” I tried to swallow down the lump that’s slowly forming on my throat.

 

“When you confess to that guy you like, you have to compose yourself.” I sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter