viii.

skinny love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungeun had the habit of taking both of her cameras–a digital and an analog–everywhere she went. It was always on her backpack, packed with batteries and film rolls always at her disposal in case she decided the moment she was living was worth remembering.

Not that remembering something was the only criteria she used when she decided she wanted to take a photo, no. Jungeun also liked to snap some pictures of everything she deemed beautiful.

And in front of her there was something that at the time she didn’t know it was worth recording into history, but beautiful nonetheless.

A girl sitting on the highest level of the benches, with her back pressed against the fence behind, working her pen on something Jungeun had no idea what it was. Maybe a notebook? A diary? She wasn’t sure, but the sun was descending on her figure in the best way possible, making her shine like she was immaculate and Jungeun to briefly question if it was a mirage. But I’m not high...

Without wasting another minute, Jungeun set her film camera on the proper settings before snapping a quick shot of what she was seeing. Part of her wanted to see the results right away, to see if she managed to capture exactly what her eyes were seeing since photos weren’t always loyal to reality, but she had chosen to take it in film for a reason. There was something about the waiting when it came to analog photography that made it the more exciting. 

Still holding her camera, she walked to where she knew she’d get a better look to the girl’s face,  curious to know the identity of her muse that was a mistery until that very moment.

It took her a minute of squinting her eyes against the harsh sun to get a good look before she recognised that face. Oh. It’s Heejin.

“Hey.” Jungeun said a little louder than normal, trying to get the girl’s attention from where she was sitting.

Heejin lifted her eyes from her task to see who was calling for her. The moment her eyes caught sight of the older girl standing at the first level of the benches she couldn’t hold back a smile.

“Jungeun, hi.” She replied, packing away her things inside her backpack and placing it on her other side, so Jungeun could have a place to sit.

“What are you doing here? I wouldn’t pick this as a place you usually hang.” Jungeun commented climbing the side steps between the benches, getting closer to where the younger girl was.

“I don’t, it’s just for today. I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to hang with my friends.” Heejin confessed shyly once the girl sat next to her.

“Oh.” Jungeun’s mind picked up straight away that something must’ve happened after the last time she saw her at the party. What happened after I left? “What happened? If you don’t mind me asking, of course.”

Heejin shook her head “Of course not! I just... kinda called Chae a and said a bunch of other not so nice stuff about her... Knowing her short temper she might straight up slap me if she sees me. I’m waiting until cheer practice to face her.”

. “. Why did you do that?” 

Jungeun was impressed to say the least. She didn’t thought anyone had the courage to stand up to a person like Chaewon, no one other than Hyunjin that it, but that was just because Hyunjin wasn’t afraid of defending anyone she cared about, not matter who she was going against with. 

But calling her a ? When they’re that close? Maybe she’s just sick of her... I know I’d be.

“She’s probably the reason why Yerim called her sister that night to pick her up, so...” Heejin continued as if reading her mind. Oh yeah, right, the Yerim incident. Still don’t know what’s that all about...

“. That’s badass.” Jungeun confessed “Well, she had it coming I guess.”

Heejin nodded before poiting at the camera hangin from Jungeun’s neck “Whatcha doing?” She said trying to change the subject.

The older girl grabbed the camera by instinct and inspected it, admiring what she considered as one of her most precious possessions. 

“Mm, just snapping some pics. It’s kinda my hobby.”

She decided right there that she wouldn’t mention the photo she just took of the younger before she had a look at it herself. She didn’t want to promise to show her somethig that she doesn’t even know if turned out good. So she made a menta note to let the girl know about it after she developed the film roll and inspected to see if she was satisfied with the results.

Heejin seemed impressed “Oh, I didn’t know. That’s cool. Do you post it online?”

Jungeun smiled at the girl interest. Nothing made her more excited than someone wanting to talk about one of her passions. That and weed, of course. But weed is one of my passions... , I should’ve packed a joint today, maybe Hyunjin or Soo can hook me up–Focus, Jungeun!

She cleared before answering.

 “Sometimes. I have a Flickr and an Instagram. I use Flickr more, even though it’s for ancient people, but it’s more professional than social media, y’know. I can show you some of my favourites photos if you want to.” Jungeun suggested, already grabbing her phone and unlocking it.

“Of course! I’d lov–Y-Yeah, su-sure.” Heejin stuttered, but luckily for her, Jungeun was too busy scrolling through her phone’s camera roll trying to find the perfect photo to show her that she missed Heejin’s awkward moment.

For some reason she really wanted to impress the girl next to her with what she believed was her best work. But her mind went blank and she couldn’t think of one that was good enough. Which one, which one...There’s that one with Doye–Nope, not that one Jungeun. Don’t show her a picture of your ex.

“Heekkie!!!” 

They heard a voice calling, distracting Jungeun from her task and alarming Heejin from her inner peace.

“There you are. I was looking everywhere for you. Why weren’t you answering any of my texts?” 

Jungeun looked from phone to see who’s the girl talking to Heejin. Damn, ain’t she the girl Sooyoung’s dating? What she’s–oh right, they’re friends. She was at her house.

“Oh- Hi. Sorry, am I interrupting something?” Jiwoo said a second later, after finally acknowledging Jungeun’s presence. Her eyes kept darting from each girls’ faces in front of her and a smile crept across her face. Suddenly the reason to why Heejin had vanished and wasn’t answering her texts earlier was very clear to her.

“Jiwoo!!!” Heejin reprimanded in a low voice, her face turning a light shade of pink.

“What???” The red head asked innocently, her smile only growing.

 Jungeun tried her best not to stare at the exchange happening in front of her, but it was hard to miss on the weird glances the girls were giving each other before deciding that was her cue to get the hell away from there. What’s going on?

“I’ll talk to you later, Heekkie.” Jiwoo said, turning to leave. 

“Nah, stay. I’m leaving.” Jungeun pocket her phone on her jacket and stood from the benches, grabbing her backpack and heading for the stairs, casually bumping into Jiwoo that had stopped midway, not knowing if she stayed or leave.

“You don’t have to go.” Heejin protested, still throwing annoyed glances at an apologetic Jiwoo, who kept mouthing ‘I’m sorry’ at her best friend.

“Yeah, I can talk to Heejin later, no problem.” Jiwoo insisted.

“It’s alright, my friends are waiting for me anyways,” Jungeun told them. Or better, herself, because for some reason she had forgotten she had agreed to meet them for lunch, as they usually did. Heejin is distracting, but a good type of distraction. “But I’ll see you in class.”

The younger cheerleader smiled at being reminded that they shared a class together “Show me the photos then!” She suggested and Jungeun nodded to her request before reaching the last step and heading towards where she knew she’d find her friends.

The last thing she heard before getting out of earshot was a loud “Jiwoo, what the ?” followed by a yelp.

What the was that? And to think I’ll have to get to know that weird girl once Sooyoung stops being a and finally introduces her to the gang... Oh god.

She kept taking pictures along the way before finally reaching her friends.

They were all sitting at their usual stop, underneath a gigantic tree in the far south of the school grounds where not a lot of people hang. The perfect place for their little gang to stay, away from anyone who could want to disturb the bubble they had created.

The only thing unusual was the presence of a violet haired girl sitting between Hyunjin and Hyejoo, holding an equally violet Switch on her hand. Jungeun inspected her for a moment and noticed that her face didn’t show any of the sadness she’d seen in the previous weekend. That’s good.

Jungeun made her presence known by taking a picture of her friends with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter